PDA

View Full Version : best film saga?

phacemeltar
08-30-2016, 02:00 PM
im wondering what people think are some of the best film sagas out there. that means films that tell one story through multiple parts (i.e. Godfather, Lord of the Rings, the Matrix, etc). animated films are fair game, too.

im not referring to movies which, after being successful, received sequels; but instead stories that were originally intended to be a multiple-part series.

maskedmelon
08-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Queen's Blade for character development, setting and presentation. One of the highest quality animated films out there.

Sage Truthbearer
08-30-2016, 02:15 PM
Mad Max, Back to the Future

fash
08-30-2016, 02:19 PM
Bourne series

Spyder73
08-30-2016, 03:00 PM
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/trilogy/

This is a pretty legit list with a couple of glaring omissions - Never Ending Story, Ninja Turtles (Secret of the ooooze!), James Bond, and Predator all jump out immediately.

If you were going to trap me in a dark room with a TV and say I can only pick 1 saga to watch for the next week - I would say the Aliens and Predator movies, but only if I could include both franchises in their entirety plus the AVP line of film, plus Promethius and Covenant. Otherwise I would probably get a bunch of weed and go Three Ninjas/Three Ninjas Kick back

phacemeltar
08-30-2016, 03:11 PM
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/trilogy/

nice

gummab
08-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Indiana Jones, Indy is the man.

Baler
08-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Alien Series
It redefined the sifi & horror genre at the same time. Despite how lack luster the latter movies are.

Pirates of the Caribbean.
Really pushed the pirate theme movie genre in the modern age.

Oceans 11-13. They were fun movies imo.

Home Alone movies for kids.

edit: REC series it reinvented the zombie genre. Daemons, Zombies & god. You won't find the same in any other series.

Hang over 1-3

Star Wars? uhh hello? anyone?

Evil Dead series, NEED I SAY MORE? (my favorite was army of darkness)

(I excluded series of movies already mentioned in this thread)
ps. I'm a movie/tv show junkies. I dare a man to challenge my views.

Lune
08-30-2016, 10:09 PM
Not an exciting answer or even an interesting answer, but it's the honest answer: Lord of the Rings.

Honorable mention is Band of Brothers; not exactly a film but the quality is cinematic and it's a hell of a saga.

Daywolf
08-30-2016, 11:23 PM
SW, Matrix, Hannibal, Fist full of Dollars+, Terminator, Alien, LOTR. In no order.

Ahldagor
08-30-2016, 11:56 PM
In no order:

Godfather 1 and 2
Star Wars 4, 5, and 6
LOTR
Kill Bill
Mallrats, Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and Clerks 2
House of A Thousand corpses and The Devil's Rejects
The Man With No Name Trilogy or The Dollars Trilogy
Toy Story
Dark Knight
Evil Dead
The Mariachi
The Naked Gun
Die Hard

Baler
08-31-2016, 12:40 AM
Evil Dead also, but hard to argue they are great films per se
LOLOLOLOL
http://i.imgur.com/PjQJjaU.gif

Evil Dead is the shit.
Am I right?
YES
http://i.imgur.com/gIUYrF8.gif
http://i.imgur.com/ZgmGs92.gif

I would call it a Saga.
\,,/ \,,/

Ahldagor
08-31-2016, 01:02 AM
Toy Story is an interesting submission. 3 great movies in a row. Hard to come up with any other trilogy that meets that criterion (still think Godfather trumps on strength of 1 and 2 tho).

Evil Dead also, but hard to argue they are great films per se.

Dollars trilogy not even close, sorry. Not even near the top for westerns (outlaw josey wales dunks) let alone all time.

Naked gun shit and if we are listing Die Hard might as well get Rush Hour and Bad Boys on the list too.

My only hang up on Godfather is the violence cycle is predictable. Everything else is great in it. Hbo has 1 and 2 in chronological order uncut. Worth the 8 hrs.

Jimjam
08-31-2016, 03:26 AM
Land before time!

RAWR!

AzzarTheGod
08-31-2016, 03:52 AM
Godfather still holding the crown in competition with Star Wars. Step to me.

Won't argue with this. LOTR is still a visual masterpiece that broke new ground that you probably want in your dream home theater you plan to build some day, but indeed Gollum has not aged well at all.

LOTR 2 is ok, the 3rd has some strange pacing and editing. I remember us going full ADD in the theater about 2 hours in and mocking the gay innuendo close-ups of everyones face (the way the reaction shots were done was meant to be "fantasy-esque" and borderline surreal I guess but instead came off gay and indicating) about 2.5 hours in towards the end of the movie.

AzzarTheGod
08-31-2016, 03:53 AM
My only hang up on Godfather is the violence cycle is predictable. Everything else is great in it. Hbo has 1 and 2 in chronological order uncut. Worth the 8 hrs.

Havent seen it but want to. To me, its something you watch with another person.

And godfather/film/premium TV connoisseurs in general are hard to find. Esp ladies.

Well not college educated ladies. seriously there's a "hobby" gap between highschool dropout women and college women in this area. its really bad.

You try to show them stuff or share interests and they pretend because they like you and feel attracted to you, but since they have never had an interest of their own, they cant appreciate it at all....I guess its hard to appreciate anything when you have never appreciated anything from a critical standpoint. College tends to decrease this "lack of hobbies and interests" syndrome among women.

Men on the other hand tend to self-teach and learn their own 5% lessons just fine without the college thing. I'd go so far as to say you cant tell the difference between a college guy and a highschool dropout. The guy is either woke or he isn't. He either has interests or he doesn't.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

gummab
08-31-2016, 08:19 AM
LOLOLOLOL
http://i.imgur.com/PjQJjaU.gif

Evil Dead is the shit.
Am I right?
YES
http://i.imgur.com/gIUYrF8.gif
http://i.imgur.com/ZgmGs92.gif

I would call it a Saga.
\,,/ \,,/

I actually hated Army of darkness :rolleyes:

The TV series is not too bad Ash Vs The Undead keeps with the whole gore/horror/comedy type theme same actor too Bruce Campell.

Also the remake "evil dead." was pretty poor.

Spyder73
08-31-2016, 09:55 AM
I think we are all burying the lead story here...

maskedmelon
08-31-2016, 10:09 AM
I am embarrassed to say it, but cut out all the filler and Naruto is a super good story.

Also enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes and Pitch Black movies ^^ Don't know if those really fit though ^^

Ahldagor
08-31-2016, 10:10 AM
I think we are all burying the lead story here...

Laces out!

Daywolf
08-31-2016, 10:43 AM
SW, Matrix, Hannibal, Fist full of Dollars+, Terminator, Alien, LOTR. In no order.
Oh I know what I missed now, was eating at me. The Babylon 5 movies. Made for tv, but aired as full movies and sold as DVD movies. Movies are: The Gathering, Thirdspace, In the Beginning, River of Souls, A Call To Arms, The Lost Tales, Legend of the Rangers. Also best series made, especialy seasons 3&4.

As for SW, just the 3 original, and before he edited the BS in. For LOTR, I liked Two Towers best, of the books too.

maskedmelon
08-31-2016, 10:48 AM
I think the Two Towers is best too out of LotR. I liked The Hobbit much more though ^^

Daywolf
08-31-2016, 11:02 AM
I think the Two Towers is best too out of LotR. I liked The Hobbit much more though ^^
I liked the first Hobbit a lot, but not much interest in the rest. Best parts were before they even left the Shire hehe. The cliff fight was really good though. Also the riddles in the dark scene was done well.

Chaboo_Cleric
08-31-2016, 11:20 AM
Lethal Weapon series was good.

Spyder73
08-31-2016, 11:22 AM
You guys are getting off the rocker with Band of Brothers and Babylon 5 made for TV movies. Opening up the field way to much if we go that route. As executive VP of Forum relations I strike these submissions from the permanent record

Chaboo_Cleric
08-31-2016, 11:23 AM
Won't argue with this. LOTR is still a visual masterpiece that broke new ground that you probably want in your dream home theater you plan to build some day, but indeed Gollum has not aged well at all.

LOTR 2 is ok, the 3rd has some strange pacing and editing. I remember us going full ADD in the theater about 2 hours in and mocking the gay innuendo close-ups of everyones face (the way the reaction shots were done was meant to be "fantasy-esque" and borderline surreal I guess but instead came off gay and indicating) about 2.5 hours in towards the end of the movie.

Lol I'll never forget that creepy fuckin look Frodo gives Sam at the end. The camera pans out from Sam and his family, while looking at Sams face... The camera then goes to Frodo who starts to nod, and then goes back to Sam... It was like Brokeback mountain.

sonicjoose
08-31-2016, 11:58 AM
Twilight

Daywolf
08-31-2016, 06:27 PM
You guys are getting off the rocker with Band of Brothers and Babylon 5 made for TV movies. Opening up the field way to much if we go that route. As executive VP of Forum relations I strike these submissions from the permanent recordYou afraid you are going to embarrass your starbucks friends? B5 movies are movies in every sense of the word movie. They didn't sit in the made for tv series DVD section at Best Buy, they sat in the movie section. As for BoB, you fail to notice a difference, that was a mini-series, and sat in the tv series section. Distribution doesn't make something into a movie, otherwise bugs bunny cartoons would be on your list too since they use to be played in theaters as well as news reels were.

Anyway, they are stand alone movies, not a part of the B5 season list, and were aired as movies apart from the series airings. You could know nothing about the series and watch the movies and grasp that they are movies. Then they sold as movies in the DVD movie section.

fash
08-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Since this train went off the film saga tracks,

Sopranos
The Shield
Friday Night Lights tv series (my guilty pleasure)

AzzarTheGod
08-31-2016, 08:10 PM

Sopranos
The Shield

Nice. People are sleeping on the Shield. I completely skipped Sons of Anarchy because the Shield had just ended, you do not top that.

Daywolf
08-31-2016, 08:13 PM
Since this train went off the film saga tracks
Not from me, the B5 movies are even listed on IMDb as movies. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106336/
The OP's smokin crack ;)
He even uses the word "film" :D

Ahldagor
08-31-2016, 08:23 PM

Sopranos
The Shield

Sopranos was legit as fuck. That scene where Tony kills Christopher was crazy good.

Daywolf arguing hard for the autism sci-fi. Good luck.

AzzarTheGod
08-31-2016, 08:30 PM
shield sux, sons of anarchy sux. Six feet under unwatchable trash. Sopranos watchable but only barely, sorry. What was that one about AIDS, i kinda liked that 1.

The Wire and Curb are the only objectively good HBO series. Curb blows literally everything else HBO out of the water (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfeAct5vGE) including the Wire tho. Seinfeld, Baccano, Watanabe animes, Eva.

Your series game weak as fuck if Sopranos near the top of your list, god damn playa you prolly bout to bring out Dexter and House next. Maybe ull let me do some stinky anal with your drunk girlfriend after the news crew leaves your twitter friend Breaking Bad party??

the shield was a monsta for its time. anarchy def sucks.

sopranos also a monster, it birthed serial TV. look into it. widely regarded as the father of serial TV.

Daywolf
08-31-2016, 08:34 PM
Daywolf arguing hard for the autism sci-fi. Good luck.Go watch your Toy Story, you obviously do not have a keen eye for true brilliance :o

They are suppose to be starting another B5 movie production this year. This world needs more space opera movies. The last one was so-so, Lost Tales, but this will be a reboot with a different cast. RIP Garibaldi, enjoyed your political radio show (Jerry Doyle Show) :( (even though I got angry at you and turned it off sometimes hehehe)

At least you know what a sci-fi is, as opposed to a sci-fantasy like SW.

fash
08-31-2016, 08:38 PM
This world needs more space opera movies.

The Expanse is a pretty good space opera. Its first season aired last year.

AzzarTheGod
08-31-2016, 08:44 PM
i can respect the Larry Sanders Show for what it did businesswise but i still wouldnt call it "best". Sopranos is better than LSS, I'm just saying that ain't an argument boi.

n------ this is my fuckin store. im trying to run a legitimate business here.

gtfo

Daywolf
08-31-2016, 09:25 PM
The Expanse is a pretty good space opera. Its first season aired last year.
I haven't seen it yet, but read about it some time back. The whole syfy thing I typically ignore hehe. At least they didn't wind up rerunning cops over and over like when G4 took TechTV. It hasn't made it's way to Netflix yet, but I'll prolly take a look into it at some point.

As for series/mini-series, I think Flair and AtG would be all into Ascension (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3696720/).

Jorgam
09-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Avengers Series
Captain America Series
X-Men Series
Ghost in the Shell 1 and 2
The Hunger Games

There are many more, but it is pretty early and I'm not fully awake yet.