PDA

View Full Version : Star navigation

Divarin
01-09-2011, 02:33 PM
A long time ago while I was playing on live I got upset that I couldn't find my way around and petitioned for them to add stars so I can try to navigate by them
finally they did but I think by that time (or around there) they gave everyone 100% sense heading and eventually a compass.
Now that I'm playing on p99 I actually need those stars when I'm playing a lower level character that hasn't skilled up on sense heading yet.

of course in real life you're looking for the pole star as it's the only one that doesn't move around (much)
I can't really tell if the stars in eq are moving or not. they don't seem to be but sometimes I go afk with a certain starfix in my view and come back and it's not there. maybe the cat jumped on my keyboard and moved me? anyway this one always seems to point east-ish

http://divarin.net/t/starfix1.jpg

http://divarin.net/t/starfix2.jpg

Tippett
01-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Cool post :D

Mardur
01-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Drop a weapon on the ground and it'll always point north.
Clouds always move west.

I think that's right, could be wrong or have those mixed up. Been awhile since I've had to rely on that stuff ;)

Divarin
01-10-2011, 10:59 AM
ah i didn't know that about weapons.
lots of good navigating tricks.
i noticed you can use shadows too (if you have them turned on) in conjunction with the /time command

Peatree
01-10-2011, 01:15 PM
....I always added a hotbutton for sense heading skill and linked it to the button that I used to turn either left and right....which is why my level 8 toon already has a skill of over 100 in sense heading now!

Divarin
01-11-2011, 05:21 PM
ya me too. but I was playing an iksar on the beta server and, never having played an iksar before, I found I was enjoying the sensation of being lost and exploring new territory just like when I first logged onto eq back in 2000

Fourthmeal
01-12-2011, 04:01 AM
....I always added a hotbutton for sense heading skill and linked it to the button that I used to turn either left and right....which is why my level 8 toon already has a skill of over 100 in sense heading now!