PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate

maskedmelon
08-23-2016, 11:00 AM
So, I had one of those mini Reese's PB cups this morning and it struck me how awful milk chocolate is. I thought I'd bring this most important revelation to the forums for proper discussion... and appreciation of (non-milk) chocolate ^^

I tend to favor dark chocolates, thought without a doubt white chocolates have their place too. I am just generally unhappy with the mediocrity that is milk chocolate. What do you think?

Spyder73
08-23-2016, 11:08 AM
Milk Chocolate/Bush Towers

Cecily
08-23-2016, 11:26 AM
Milk chocolate / white chocolate are pretty bad.

Sorn
08-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Milk chocolate is a sad facsimile of real chocolate, doomed forever to be inferior to dark chocolate. They put sour milk in it! Outrageous! And all to make more people enjoy chocolate when there are perfectly serviceable methods like double chocolate brownies or chocolate ganache.

When milk chocolate is bad, it's really bad: gritty, with a thoroughly displeasing old milk aftertaste and a distinctly artificial tang of too much sweetener. Even good milk chocolate can't escape that aftertaste, though. Yuck.

White chocolate is made of cocoa butter rather than the cacao nibs that make up real chocolate. Only time I've used white chocolate is when Betty Crocker crocked up and discontinued their Rainbow Chip frosting and I had to make my own (which is when I discovered those little rainbow chips are actually made of white chocolate - who knew?). The rest of the time it's 65% cacao or darker.

entruil
08-23-2016, 09:30 PM
guess i should vote dark choc cuz i seen the dark choc mango bars that only sports spots sports spot... plus...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chocolate

Expansion
'The new craze for chocolate brought with it a thriving slave market, as between the early 17th and late 19th centuries the laborious and slow processing of the cacao bean was manual.'

'New processes that sped the production of chocolate emerged early in the Industrial Revolution. In 1815, Dutch chemist Coenraad van Houten introduced alkaline salts to chocolate, which reduced its bitterness. A few years thereafter, in 1828, he created a press to remove about half the natural fat (cacao butter) from chocolate liquor, which made chocolate both cheaper to produce and more consistent in quality. '

'bleh'

lots of more stuff point was what became of choc and why its choc...

my vote - almond white choc... preserves its flavor better on the sidewalk in the sun... weeeee...

entruil
08-23-2016, 10:32 PM
i guess its really a f stretch to imagine u people are sane... have fun not licking the choc of the sidewalk in the summer inbetween bottlecap racing and ... heh quido u r quido mwuahaha... get some.... or dont... im left over from ya'll weakness... tho i dont know how to act about YT.... without other stuff... nm...

"kikc in the door wavin' the .44" - gnyte

Daywolf
08-23-2016, 10:47 PM
I pref bitter dark or semi-sweet. White is ok, hope the PC police don't ban it :o

entruil
08-23-2016, 11:00 PM
hi... =(... may the visions precede u =)

Freakish
08-24-2016, 09:42 AM
Dark? Blech

http://i.imgur.com/Gd6F9df.gif

maskedmelon
08-24-2016, 10:52 AM
Milk chocolate is a sad facsimile of real chocolate, doomed forever to be inferior to dark chocolate. They put sour milk in it! Outrageous! And all to make more people enjoy chocolate when there are perfectly serviceable methods like double chocolate brownies or chocolate ganache.

When milk chocolate is bad, it's really bad: gritty, with a thoroughly displeasing old milk aftertaste and a distinctly artificial tang of too much sweetener. Even good milk chocolate can't escape that aftertaste, though. Yuck.

White chocolate is made of cocoa butter rather than the cacao nibs that make up real chocolate. Only time I've used white chocolate is when Betty Crocker crocked up and discontinued their Rainbow Chip frosting and I had to make my own (which is when I discovered those little rainbow chips are actually made of white chocolate - who knew?). The rest of the time it's 65% cacao or darker.

Wow, I did not know any of this, except that milk chocolate is disgusting and it's not the sweetness either. I love sweet things, but milk chocolate has that nasty tang that you mentioned ^^