PDA

View Full Version : OPEN Sontalak Raid 8/19 @ 9pm EST

Raev
08-18-2016, 05:02 PM
I've been organizing some semi-open WTOV raids recently, and Sontalak has proven to be truly annoying. As all the world knows, the Kromzek and their King Tormax are the true rulers of the icy continent of Velious, yet Sontalak obstreperously attacks all who pledge their allegiance to Rallos Zek and the Avatar of War. This aggression will not stand!

Fortunately, Sontalak is a fairly simple tank and spank fight. Awakened and Aftermath would kill him regularly if it wasn't for his poor loot table and their effeminate alliance with the Claws of Veeshan. I think if we can bring about 25 we should have no trouble.

All loot will be randomed. Please be L46 with at least 100 MR/FR.

Speedi
08-18-2016, 05:16 PM
Lol

Freakish
08-18-2016, 05:19 PM
I'll need an evac across sg is that doable?

pogs4ever
08-18-2016, 05:55 PM
I'm down! 60 bard. I hate dragons.

Izmael
08-18-2016, 06:01 PM
I'd pay to see a zerg of lvl 46s raid Sontalak.

That could be the new bard swarm AE fear gif.

Cecily
08-18-2016, 06:11 PM
I figure if you bind enough SKs at LTK, you could bind rush it down.

Ashintar
08-18-2016, 06:25 PM
I'll try to have a cleric there to rez after the encounter.

Mizard
08-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Good luck on the raid bro!

Also at the same time, our guild <Paradox> is hosting an OPEN Chardok Royals raid this Friday 8/19 @ 9pm EST.

All loot will be /ran 1000. Epic pieces from King/Queen/Prince/Herbalist will be class specific /ran 1000.

We admit, nobody from our guild knows how to lead this Chardok Royals raid. We need your help! As a result, we are looking for a solid, stable individual with a positive attitude to safely guide everyone. Please let us know if this sounds like you.

We expect a huge turnout for this event. It will be a lot of fun =) See you there!

Riverhead <Paradox>
www.paradoxeq.com

Ashintar
08-18-2016, 06:34 PM
I'll park a cleric at Chardok to rez Paradox also...

Llandris
08-18-2016, 07:14 PM
Need a 50 Rogue? My fashionquest is on point.

Nommis
08-18-2016, 07:38 PM
You have my axe!

Nommis
08-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Here's a pretty sick strat too...

http://i.imgur.com/PPbbOt1.gif

FatMice
08-18-2016, 09:16 PM
Oh right, that gif shows Forsaken whipping on a Sont attempt. If you read guild chat, and if you can see /ooc Rampage when crazy calling stall on my pull when we tagged the mob into camp.

Rewl I love your gifs but is this shit necessary?

jpetrick
08-18-2016, 09:45 PM
Best thread all week

shwally
08-18-2016, 09:55 PM
I'll bring my 53 ranger!! Don't have 100 on resist, but since I'm 7 levels over the req I should be fine, right?

getsome
08-18-2016, 10:24 PM
I'll bring my 53 ranger!! Don't have 100 on resist, but since I'm 7 levels over the req I should be fine, right?

Rangers @ max range are great. You don't need any resist gear.

Ravager
08-18-2016, 10:37 PM
If this is a real thing, I'll be on tomorrow a couple hours before to help evac people through SG.

Ulaar
08-18-2016, 10:41 PM
Spongee ready to bash in Sont face just so not hab to harmoknee all time to run past. Most annoyin dragun.

Raev
08-18-2016, 11:27 PM
Spongee ready to bash in Sont face just so not hab to harmoknee all time to run past. Most annoyin dragun.

Exactly! I mean, A/A should team up to make this happen. It's just annoying.

However, an open raid is definitely a bad idea and I'm afraid the original post is a complete troll. Sontalak is one of the few mobs in EQ that you cannot zerg at all. Once one person gets low HP, he will flip, and then rapidly proc a 600 damage AE on ripostes, leading to more people being low HP, and so on. This is what happened to Forsaken in Rewl's gif. Watching /who, they lost 30-40 people in a few seconds and the rest was just Sontalak cleaning up.

If you aren't L60 with 255 FR/MR and multiple wort potions/prayers your net contribution to a Sontalak raid is negative. I usually tried to group with Rewl for Sontalak because he would keep me alive and he was always checking /w and inspecting people and saying "Oh god, Players XYZ are making me nervous" (I think it was some Taken scrub called Cleratani, can't be sure). And then we'd wipe and we'd go check who died first, and he was frequently right :D

Super-saiyan Sontalak is of course extremely not classic: we have a video of him casting every 12 seconds not proccing constantly, we have a video of Zlandicar fearing players an average of 5 seconds not 20 like it is here, and lastly 255 should make you nearly immune to normal AEs without adjusts not maybe 50% immune like you are here. It actually makes for a really fun fight, but no one is willing to spend the 100k for a ST key now that the Warders are gone.

Kodim
08-19-2016, 12:03 AM
Imagine if Sontalak was Aaryonar and not outside where he can be harmonied.

Ulaar
08-19-2016, 12:21 AM
Exactly! I mean, A/A should team up to make this happen. It's just annoying.

However, an open raid is definitely a bad idea and I'm afraid the original post is a complete troll. Sontalak is one of the few mobs in EQ that you cannot zerg at all.

Agree dat normal scrubs cant do. But wut if get beef like spongee en Rewl. Hab sum beef guys in rustle and mayhaps sum from AM. Tink Ramp did wit 50? Wuz sumting like dat. Mayhaps is possible tings. Get all best from raiding guilds en bash Sont gud

Joyelle
08-19-2016, 09:05 AM
However, an open raid is definitely a bad idea and I'm afraid the original post is a complete troll.

Aww I was hoping you had some off-the-wall strategy in mind to do this with minimal players.

http://i.imgur.com/26k9Td7.gif

Rygar
08-19-2016, 09:32 AM
To everyone reading this and attending... I'm told sontalak is the furthest thing from a tank and spank fight. Level 60 minimum and 2 full bags of wort pots for all.

Don't be fooled, this will be a wipe. I applaud OP for his open raid organization, but just don't think he is aware how tough this fight will be. I encourage you to cancel OP

Izmael
08-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Last I fought Sontalak was on live in something like 2001 so I can't remember shit and it wasn't even the same dragon. But just thinking out loud, can't you put a single tank with a bunch of healers running in and out of AE range to spam heal him (eventually healing themselves and sitting out for a bit), then have a bunch of rangers out of AE range and nukers running in and out of AE range to nuke?

Might be naive as as I said I haven't fought this mob in 15 years and he wasn't all that hard back then for a decent guild, just risk vs reward was bad.

Sajan
08-19-2016, 10:56 AM
Last I fought Sontalak was on live in something like 2001 so I can't remember shit and it wasn't even the same dragon. But just thinking out loud, can't you put a single tank with a bunch of healers running in and out of AE range to spam heal him (eventually healing themselves and sitting out for a bit), then have a bunch of rangers out of AE range and nukers running in and out of AE range to nuke?

Might be naive as as I said I haven't fought this mob in 15 years and he wasn't all that hard back then for a decent guild, just risk vs reward was bad.

Sontalak's AE range is huge. The fight is literally a sprint to down him as fast as possible before everyone runs out of mana or a damage spike wipes out the CH rotation's target and starts eating through dps. There is no "running in and out" and "sitting out."

Maschenny
08-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Sontalak's AE range is huge. The fight is literally a sprint to down him as fast as possible before everyone runs out of mana or a damage spike wipes out the CH rotation's target and starts eating through dps. There is no "running in and out" and "sitting out."

Lol this guy. That's why you have coth set up.

Erati
08-19-2016, 11:08 AM
Fortunately, Sontalak is a fairly simple tank and spank fight.

http://i.imgur.com/xbQ7Ks9.gif

Daldaen
08-19-2016, 11:10 AM
From a classic point of view, Sontalak is a glaring example of false evidence being implemented and never reverted.

He should be a relatively fun fight if he had the proper AE Mechanics and if AE Fear resist / duration rates were correct.

Nommis
08-19-2016, 11:14 AM
If you aren't L60 with 255 FR/MR and multiple wort potions/prayers your net contribution to a Sontalak raid is negative. I usually tried to group with Rewl for Sontalak because he would keep me alive and he was always checking /w and inspecting people and saying "Oh god, Players XYZ are making me nervous" (I think it was some Taken scrub called Cleratani, can't be sure). And then we'd wipe and we'd go check who died first, and he was frequently right :D

you have become better at Divination! (34)

Nune
08-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Aww I was hoping you had some off-the-wall strategy in mind to do this with minimal players.

http://i.imgur.com/26k9Td7.gif

hahahahahahaha.. yeah, top raid guild on this server are known for their strategies and ability to down mobs with limited players.

Joyelle
08-19-2016, 11:20 AM
hahahahahahaha.. yeah, top raid guild on this server are known for their strategies and ability to down mobs with limited players.

I think you missed the point of my post but s'ok I still agree with what you said lol

Erati
08-19-2016, 11:21 AM
From a classic point of view, Sontalak is a glaring example of false evidence being implemented and never reverted.

He should be a relatively fun fight if he had the proper AE Mechanics and if AE Fear resist / duration rates were correct.

lets get that video posted of the cleric using GROUP CH on a Sont encounter lol ( with DA to clear his aggro ! )

that is a good one that shows the stark difference between our version and Classic Live

Raev
08-19-2016, 11:58 AM

Well, maybe not top raid guilds, but I'd like to think I am!

P.S. Halliel I do actually have some ideas there, but this thread was all about having a little fun.

P.P.S. Daldaen IIRC what happened there is someone posted logs of him proccing Lava Breath, but it turns out that classically NPCs that proced AOE effects only landed them on the MT somehow. That's why Zlandicar should also be 5000x easier than he is.

azeth
08-19-2016, 12:01 PM

The Sontalak encounter here relies on absolutey NONE of your DPS getting feared while they have aggro.

If Sont starts chasing a feared player, it is over.

herego why more = worse. Unless you can guarantee 255 MR on every single attending DPS, you will lose. The only caveat is if you truly can burn him down, but this is an open raid and that means DPS will be shit-poor.

Raev
08-19-2016, 12:05 PM
Man I just keep catching them hook, line, and sinker <3

Freakish
08-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Mobs won't chase a player outside of their immediate aggro radius if the player is feared. Now what can happen is, fear wears off and you have aggro and Sont summon is down. At that point he will run after you when fear is off. What usually happens on something like that is: a tank gets feared, a dps gets low hp aggro and summoned then when fear is off he chases after tank because his summon is down.

bktroost
08-19-2016, 12:41 PM
Would you believe me if i told you that two AG bards duoed sontalak once?
One of them also solo killed Klandicar twice.

Spyder73
08-19-2016, 02:42 PM
I'm hosting an open Vulak raid when this is done - Claiming FTE on him with this post

Pint
08-19-2016, 03:13 PM
So much good info in this thread, I think you're going to have to reconsider not actually attempting this encounter since you've gathered all these top minds