PDA

View Full Version : Alganon--old school WoW

stormlord
08-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Wanted to post here about a an MMORPG released I think in 2009. It's not a bug free quality MMORPG, so if you're expecting something with the comforts of modern WoW then leave right now. Don't read further.

First: The Negatives.
It's modeled after WoW circa 2005-2009. For some that might be problematic. It doesn't have a dungeon finder and doesn't allow you to group across servers, for example. Many small things too like not being able to run on water when you're a ghost. Additionally, it's a poor imitation of WoW which doesn't try to hide the fact it's an imitation. You'll get an impression it's shameless and cheap.

It's bug filled. First time you start up the client you'll probably click on the maximize button. It''ll promptly crash. And you may be confused because it doesn't say "Create Account" anywhere. You have to either create an account on the website or you have to use your steam account login. After that, you'll encounter various problems. Sometimes they're small things like no mouseover or easy tips or similar. Some people can't use fullscreen--a much bigger prboelm. I successfully use "fullscreen window". Sometimes the quest window is bugged and you have to close it and come back. Generally, if you're put off by other things this will be the straw that broke hte camels back.

The forum are toxic. If you sneeze, you're banned. Derek Smart became the owner in 2010 and it's customary for him to piss on everybody and be troubel. Just don't go to the forums--problem solved.

The population is dead. You're lucky if you see a player at all. It's a solo experience.

The website and patches are old. I don't think there's been updates for a year or more. The website is particularly bad. Lot of the features don't work or did work at one time but don't anymore.

There's almost no helper websites anywhere. You're mostly playing blindly. It's a blessing and a curse.

The positives.

After you've figured out the controls and tackled the bugs, you'll find the game is actually not bad. There're plenty of quests and things to see. It's timed right so there's even some challenge. You'll die a couple times even in the early levels. You'll also notice levels come slower than they do normally in other MMORPGs. This is mostly because this game hasn't seen signficiant updates for years, so the level cap hasn't changed. Still, it's not really a problem because you're doing content and shouldn't notice.

I haven't played WoW so I can't say how much is differnet. What I'm told and what I've seen on youtube leads me to believe it's essentially a copy/paste job. The probelm is it's very cheap and buggy. On the other hand, since I haven't played WoW, I notice it less. And also it apparently has changed some things. It has a skill study system, for example, where your character will be learning skills evne whne you're logged out for days at a time. Since I'm only a level 7 reaver, I haven't seen too much, so there could be many differneces.

Crashes have only occured so far with fullscreen things. I did get the "fullscreen window" option to work without crashing. It's just mainly client and game bugs which while not game breaking are annoying.

I've enjoyed my time there so far. I wanted to come here and encourage some of you who might like old school WoW from 2005-2009 to try it. Try it and return here wiht feedback. I especially would like to hear from people who played WoW back then and can reflect on how similar it's--or not--to Alganon.

As for Derek Smart, don't get to know him. Don't visit the forums. He's poisonous. If you ignore the forums and just focus on levelling and swallow the old school gamepaly, I think you'll enoy as I did.

Here's a good (and fair) "lets play" series of videos (ther're 8 of them.. ending with a boss fight in a instanced dungeon):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04uzk-0gMo

The official website:
http://www.myalganon.com

The steam website--the place you want to create an account and download the client:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/350660

And remember "That which cannot be moved, patience is a virtue." A good thing to remember when playing this. You get hat comment from an NPC on the Ashar side. I played on the Kujix. I wanted to be try the bad/evil side.

EDIT: I didn't go into detail about the classes and levels and skills. Just a brief summary of positves and negatives. I'd like to add while this is F2P, it does have a cap of level 30 and other restrictions. You can use the Tribute Market to remove restrictions by hand. You can also buy a bundle which has all of the restrictios removed and gives you a discount. For example, I can purchase the cap removal and level up to 50. YOu purchase Tribute points through the Steam Wallet. You can move funds from paypal to the steam wallet.

stormlord
08-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Does this mean "message board Derek" is about to make his appearance?

Derek Smart
Derek Smart
Derek Smart

*hides*
I've known about him for a long time. I played BC3000AD when it was fresh. Follow my advice and ignore him completely. Don't go to the forums--he'll personally ban you. If you survive the bugs and cheapness and lack of updates, it can be an ok game. If I didn't at least somewhat enjoy the time Iv'e spent there so far, I wouldn't be here posting about it. Try it, if you have any doubts.

Any doubts? Then watch the "lets play". It's far more informative than my blathering on about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04uzk-0gMo

Oh in the lets play it has these annoying UI sounds and that stupid pretentious thing whne you complete a quest. You can get rid of it by disabling the UI sounds in the sound options. Soon as I did that, I felt like I was flying.