PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft: Legion

Grubbz
08-04-2016, 09:22 PM
First time subbing to retail wow since 2010.

Add me - Malicre #1367

big_ole_jpn
08-04-2016, 09:26 PM

Yikes

R Flair
08-04-2016, 09:32 PM
wow is shit

Daywolf
08-04-2016, 09:54 PM
wow is shit

Evia
08-04-2016, 11:17 PM
What made you sold on wow? Considering its been since 2010 for you? Not trolling. I'm legitimately curious? I quit wow when cataclysm came out and returned for the panda expansion, and stayed until the most recent expansion came out , but left the game roughly 2 weeks after it released.

I saw the info in regards to this new XPack but to me it just looks like more blizzard money grubbing game dulling bs. What is the appeal? New class? More lvls?

Grubbz
08-05-2016, 06:06 AM
What made you sold on wow? Considering its been since 2010 for you? Not trolling. I'm legitimately curious? I quit wow when cataclysm came out and returned for the panda expansion, and stayed until the most recent expansion came out , but left the game roughly 2 weeks after it released.

I saw the info in regards to this new XPack but to me it just looks like more blizzard money grubbing game dulling bs. What is the appeal? New class? More lvls?

Scaling leveling zones (you got that questing ocd? need to finish every quest in an area without the fear of over leveling, then this is for you)

New transmog system (no more carrying around all your junk, just equip an item once and its saved forever)

Iconic raid bosses (biggest draw for me), personally never got back into the game because i could care less about the raids, the villains were meh at best BUT now with it being leaked that Gul'dan is the final boss of the 2nd RAID you can already tell that this expansion is going to have to have some great iconic bosses.

TLDR: first time since wotlk that i legit want to sub.

Baler
08-05-2016, 06:58 AM
I liked tbc/wotlk otherwise...
wow is shit

maskedmelon
08-05-2016, 07:17 AM
I played wow two times and found it too fast paced with nothing really happening :*( Wanted to give it more of a go...

NotSwish
08-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Doesn't matter what they put in it now, it still has kung fu pandas running around in it. Kids game.

phacemeltar
08-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Scaling leveling zones

scaled pvp would be pretty awesome

Evia
08-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Scaling leveling zones (you got that questing ocd? need to finish every quest in an area without the fear of over leveling, then this is for you)

New transmog system (no more carrying around all your junk, just equip an item once and its saved forever)

Iconic raid bosses (biggest draw for me), personally never got back into the game because i could care less about the raids, the villains were meh at best BUT now with it being leaked that Gul'dan is the final boss of the 2nd RAID you can already tell that this expansion is going to have to have some great iconic bosses.

I see. Yeah I'm not very familiar with the wow universe or lore... so the iconic bosses don't do much for me. The other two elements are just 'meh' for me as well. I think I'll pass. Hopefully it's worthwhile for the people like you who are taking the plunge. The whole wow disappointment feeling sucks.

AzzarTheGod
08-05-2016, 05:03 PM
I see. Yeah I'm not very familiar with the wow universe or lore... so the iconic bosses don't do much for me. The other two elements are just 'meh' for me as well. I think I'll pass. Hopefully it's worthwhile for the people like you who are taking the plunge. The whole wow disappointment feeling sucks.

This. Im not impressed unfortunately.

WOTLK was just too good of a PvP era. The current WoW players don't realize that.

No TBC or WOTLK purist is going to return and feel good about the current game.

R Flair
08-05-2016, 06:37 PM

this shit makes me physically ill. Its like they have to systematically remove anything that made mmos seem real and transform it into a trivial game for adhd kids

AzzarTheGod
08-05-2016, 06:51 PM
this shit makes me physically ill. Its like they have to systematically remove anything that made mmos seem real and transform it into a trivial game for adhd kids

everything will start catering to ADHD.

its a new trend in gaming and the designers even suffer from it. industrial toxins and excitotoxicity and vaccinated brain dmg no bueno mane....

Daywolf
08-05-2016, 07:42 PM
everything will start catering to ADHD.

its a new trend in gaming and the designers even suffer from it. industrial toxins and excitotoxicity and vaccinated brain dmg no bueno mane....
Don't you think that this has been the trend for the past 10 years? A trend that is just taking it's course to gold fish levels of ADHD. And everything too, yeah, even to walking into a Target store and seeing everyone standing zombiefied with their heads down staring into smartphone's dragging their thumb across the screen flipping from image to image. Blizzard has just been tapping into that.

AzzarTheGod
08-05-2016, 07:49 PM
Don't you think that this has been the trend for the past 10 years? A trend that is just taking it's course to gold fish levels of ADHD. And everything too, yeah, even to walking into a Target store and seeing everyone standing zombiefied with their heads down staring into smartphone's dragging their thumb across the screen flipping from image to image. Blizzard has just been tapping into that.

That's what I was driving at.

There is no going back. Game design is a reflection of what's going on culturally. Goldfish attention spans with the ability to only focus on things that INTENSELY interest you.

There is an unpublished study done that games like LoL and DOTA2 are the perfect model of dopamine destruction. They basically get the brain use to a certain amount of pleasurable hits per millisecond that is very unnatural to our current DNA. These people "train" their brain's dopamine unknowingly while playing these MOBAs nonstop every day for several hours a day essentially causing permanent alterations in dopamine transport and dopamine reward.

The majority of hardcore MOBA players as a result cannot enjoy anything except MOBAs. Wish I had a link.

MOBAs and similar dopamine models to MOBAs such as Pokémon Go are the future of gaming.

big_ole_jpn
08-05-2016, 08:08 PM
That's what I was driving at.

There is no going back. Game design is a reflection of what's going on culturally. Goldfish attention spans with the ability to only focus on things that INTENSELY interest you.

There is an unpublished study done that games like LoL and DOTA2 are the perfect model of dopamine destruction. They basically get the brain use to a certain amount of pleasurable hits per millisecond that is very unnatural to our current DNA. These people "train" their brain's dopamine unknowingly while playing these MOBAs nonstop every day for several hours a day essentially causing permanent alterations in dopamine transport and dopamine reward.

The majority of hardcore MOBA players as a result cannot enjoy anything except MOBAs. Wish I had a link.

MOBAs and similar dopamine models to MOBAs such as Pokémon Go are the future of gaming.

definitely believe it. My brief time playing League was one of the few where I would have CEVs of the game when trying to sleep. Makes me feel cracked out and leaves me with a hangover the next day. Civ series has a similar effect -- has something to do with doing very repetitious behaviors in a game at maximum speed. I can play many more hours of an actually decent game without any similar effect.

Lune
08-05-2016, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the lesson on physiology for retards. You blew out my dopamines and serotonins and now I only get pleasure from shitposts.

Daywolf
08-05-2016, 08:48 PM

Interesting. I've heard a little about this. It almost sounds sort of like the damage amphetamine use does to the brain. You know, where dopamine receptacles are so inundated that they burn out. Over time they feel nothing for anything apart from the increased use of the stimulant which further burns out receptacles.

AzzarTheGod
08-05-2016, 08:59 PM
definitely believe it. My brief time playing League was one of the few where I would have CEVs of the game when trying to sleep. Makes me feel cracked out and leaves me with a hangover the next day. Civ series has a similar effect -- has something to do with doing very repetitious behaviors in a game at maximum speed. I can play many more hours of an actually decent game without any similar effect.

I watched people play dota irl (I used to play MOBAs too) and watching how rapidly they are clicking and typing and interacting is just like chain smoking and chain snorting cocaine trying to maintain. "Frenetic" would be a good word I'd say...one of the reasons I didn't stick with SC2 and decided to just quit after many years of enjoying SC1. The APM is just a touch too damn high, and its a shame and a waste of a potentially good game.

It gives me anxiety to watch someone play a MOBA now, knowing what its doing and how "involved" and serious these sperglords are about winning a game that they do not play professionally...

Healthy competition is fine, but you cross the line when you are dead serious about winning PUG games. I realized the reason they are so serious and intense is because of the "cracked out" effect you are talking about. They are struggling to get those dopamine hits and the brain is demanding them.

There's a better study of this done on long gaming sessions in general, not even MOBAs. When people said WoW destroys your social skills, I was HIGHLY skeptical, having been intimately familiar with the game in Vanilla, it was a very social experience at one point.

I wonder what those same people are now saying about MOBAs? Nothing. There is simply a lack of awareness regarding some of these games and until (((Lune))) and others step up and start trending away from them in every day casual conversation, American citizens qualities of life will continue to suffer as a result.

Ahldagor
08-05-2016, 09:06 PM
You described the effects of addiction. I'd bet the vast majority of those players don't fall into those qualifications. Think harder and see the whole board. Play chess more.

R Flair
08-05-2016, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the lesson on physiology for retards. You blew out my dopamines and serotonins and now I only get pleasure from shitposts.

dont worry chronic masturbation probably made you immune to its effects

AzzarTheGod
08-06-2016, 12:00 AM

No prob I knew u were a lil slow from all the Jew molasses you've been swallowing.

"I dumbed down my lyrics, doubled my dollars

The people criticized me for it, but they all yelled holla"

Name who said that without Google for redemption

Sirban
08-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Lol 2010

phacemeltar
08-07-2016, 04:46 PM
"I dumbed down for my audience, to double my dollars

They criticized me for it, yet they still yelled holla"

thank god for granting me this moment of clarity

Spyder73
08-08-2016, 11:13 AM
I was thinking about renewing my WoW subscription for Legion… I still play Diablo 3 with some of my old guild who are active on WoW and since a new season just started we were playing all weekend…

There is a new class (Demon Hunter) and they are raising the level cap to something retarded like 110. I’m sure it will be more of the same tread mill sh!t like it always is with WoW, but it can still be fun for a time and I haven’t played in forever. At least gear progression in WoW makes some sense (unlike EQ)

Grubbz
08-09-2016, 06:14 PM
Here some screenshots of some of the players that took part in one of the first few "invasion of the burning crusade events"

http://imgur.com/a/nMbtg

Farzo
08-10-2016, 06:59 AM
They dont even make fancy 3d videos for the xpacs anymore.
I saw some shitty cartoon video a few weeks back...it wasnt even animated was just panning drawings with an overvoice.

Talk about milking the fanbois.

Farzo
08-10-2016, 06:59 AM
How many times did you watch the d2 video cut scenes and be amazed.

AzzarTheGod
08-10-2016, 07:12 AM
How many times did you watch the d2 video cut scenes and be amazed.

yeah great point. WoW expacs dropping cutscenes that D2 had back in the fucking mid 1990's...

no cutscenes is really not excusable considering D2 had basically no budget compared to WoW's.

Milking the fanbois is right. I almost thought about checking out WoW live again, thx 4 averting this crisis. WoW devs just don't give a fuck and have no initiative anymore.

Doors
08-10-2016, 06:20 PM
I beta tested WoW in 2003 and then open beta tested it in 2004. I played pretty consistently up until 2011 when Cataclysm was out.

WoW up until WotLK was arguably one of the best games ever made. Blizzard however was bought by Activision at some point during WotLK and it's been a downhill slide ever since.

http://i.imgur.com/plLvT5i.jpg

This fat moron with the shit eating grin is Robert Kotik, current CEO of Blizzard and Activision. This is the guy responsible for why world of warcraft sucks. His corporate greed ground the game down into what it is now. I mean I'm sure you could debate many reasons why WoW has gone down hill, but it can basically be agreed upon that it started when Activision came into the picture.

Legion looks somewhat promising. They've made some huge changes and they're going in a different direction, so I'm gonna play it and give it a shot. At this point the game really has no where to go but up as Warlords of Draenor was fucking awful.

This is imo their last real chance to salvage the game though. I can't imagine they'd ever shut down their ATM machine but if Legion fails you'll basically be looking at the same thing that happened to EQLive with only time locked progression servers to salvage it.

Blizzard still makes great games but WoW was made by a different company and things have changed too much to expect it to be the game it was during 2004. I mean if you want any further proof of that just go check out their lore and storyline bullshit compared to what it used to be back in early 2000.

AzzarTheGod
08-10-2016, 06:27 PM
Legion looks somewhat promising. They've made some huge changes and they're going in a different direction, so I'm gonna play it and give it a shot. At this point the game really has no where to go but up as Warlords of Draenor was fucking awful.

naw no cutscenes means game is dead and nobody cares. we had cutscenes on a shoestring budget in 1990 for Diablo 2.

pass. gj playin the sucka

Grubbz
08-11-2016, 04:40 PM
naw no cutscenes means game is dead and nobody cares. we had cutscenes on a shoestring budget in 1990 for Diablo 2.

pass. gj playin the sucka

but legion has cutscenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGfB5NBCVcQ

spoiler

Sylvannas betrays the alliance and varian dies fighting gul'dan.

AzzarTheGod
08-11-2016, 08:11 PM
yea the game has more cutscenes now than it did back then, not sure where this idea comes from

resubbed last month for the first time since TBC and i'm having a lot of fun despite the awful lore butchering and mechanic simplification

the game has really been streamlined for the casual player but also caters to those who want to become the neckbeard elite; gotta say i'm pretty impressed

the biggest cons are that world pvp seems mostly dead and the game has no community feeling outside of the people you frequently, but on the other hand instanced pvp seems very good and highly dependent on skill (gear has little to no effect now)

although my enjoyment may just be because i'm playing with a huge group of gr8 pals

alright let me specify. CGI cutscenes. Not StarCraft in-game cutscenes.

I do like what I'm hearing about pvp so I might end up checking it out. I wasn't big on the whole gear gap in arenas thing.

entruil
08-11-2016, 09:01 PM
i'm having a lot of fun despite the awful lore butchering and mechanic simplification [...] gotta say i'm pretty impressed [...] may just be i'm playing with a huge group of gr8 pals

right on...

highly dependent on skill (gear has little to no effect now)

Any reference?

Tecmos Deception
08-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Any reference?

I don't have a link, but basically...

Entering into PVP gives you a set, minimum ilvl. If your actual ilvl is higher than that, you get a % boost to your stat template per X ilvl or something, supposed to reduce impact of gear in PVP (and so maybe/probably make skill more important, I guess).

Each spec has a set of base stats that are only affected by ilvl being above the PVP minimum ilvl % modifier, so Blizzard can tweak the base stat templates to balance a whole spec without having any effect on PVE.

And there's a whole set of talents in the game now that are PVP-specific, that only become available to use when engaged in PVP or in PVP-specific zones like battlegrounds.

entruil
08-11-2016, 10:21 PM
Sounds like it could be interesting.

Is it just a result of homogenization though?

bdastomper58
08-11-2016, 10:44 PM
i predict legion will make more money than any of crybaby posters complaining about a game they don't play

Burk
08-11-2016, 11:30 PM
I preordered Legion and haven't played since Wotlk. I did however play on Nostalrius. I can say the new melee character animations are awesome. The pvp system @ lvl 110 will be insanely fun. You get a PvP talent tree much like you get a PvE talent tree. Once you unlock all pvp talents you can prestige for rewards (like CoD).

The DK pvp tree looks great. I will prolly main that during Legion.

Grubbz
08-13-2016, 08:20 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-10-something-massive-just-happened-in-world-of-warcraft-lore

cdawgz28
08-13-2016, 09:58 AM
Wow > week long tov windows

Uuruk
08-13-2016, 10:24 AM
Ugh a game doors plays. Rethinking trying this now.

Ahldagor
08-13-2016, 12:15 PM
The Illidari were spec ops for Illidan. Not a bad quest line for their start up.

Grubbz
08-13-2016, 03:05 PM
You know an invasion is happening when there are 40+ people on a damn zepplin.

http://imgur.com/a/tZ9X5

Ahldagor
08-13-2016, 03:39 PM
You know an invasion is happening when there are 40+ people on a damn zepplin.

http://imgur.com/a/tZ9X5

Lulz. Some hillarious frame rates proly going in there.

burkemi5
08-13-2016, 05:13 PM
Just want to warn people that if you end up checking it out, A LOT has changed. Talents are completely revamped, so are questing zones, dungeons, new BGs, everything. Don't go into it expecting it to be what you remember.

FYI you can also get to level 20 for free, no need to resub until you're past that point.

AzzarTheGod
08-13-2016, 05:32 PM
so I looked at the new "cutscenes".

My beef is they aren't fully CGI and are using CGI overlay on live-action WoW in-game animation, essentially using the WoW graphic engine as their studio.

They are using in-game animation constructions rather than full CGI (which costs more than triple what they probably spent easily)

So when people say no CGI cinematics, that's what people mean.An example of fully CGI cinematic would be the Diablo 2 Expansion pack cinematics. That's what full real deal independent CGI looks like.

The use of the in-game engine as a studio to create these cinematics, and then touching them up with CGI for facial expressions and movement is a budget and cost cutting move. Its jewish. Its bobby kotick.... period.

I don't like their pseudo-CGI cost cutting direction, but Ill fucking play it one last time since Blizzard designers are going balls out on this expac with overhauls and new storyline content that makes a CGI boycott look absolutely retarded.

AzzarTheGod
08-13-2016, 05:37 PM
I've been playing this since the 9th. I haven't played since wolk. The game is refreshing and pretty fun. Demon hunters start at 98 and you're 100 by the time the DH storyline is complete. PVP is completely different than I remember it. Items mean nothing as everyone is boosted or lowered to the same value. It reminds me more of League of Legends and I like it. The demon invasions are good and you basically get a full set of catchup gear after doing a few. I haven't done any raids, and don't plan to. The normalization of PVP might keep me around for more than a month.

Still playing p99, because wow doesn't quite fill that dragon fix and there is something to be said for keeping Detoxx in the spin zone while he plays second fiddle week after week.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it, as its all relatively new to me. I quit during WOTLK as well. Thanks for the feedback.

A GM I was talking to about restoring my 2004 accounts was the same age as me and also quit during WOTLK. He also, like me, refused to mail his photo ID to Blizzard when his account was locked/lost. I said "Yeah I said fuck that at the time." The GM was like "So did I". I lol'd irl and good thing I wasn't drinking any water.

The new system for restoring and recovering is extremely streamlined and available 24/7 with instant help...Activision and big corporate design has gone a LONG way to making this the only AAA title on the market. Its WoW or nothing really for good reason.

Grubbz
08-13-2016, 06:28 PM
for people who don't have a wow account and want to play it, you can buy the base game for $20 and get all the expansions up to legion for free. Also if you plan on buying the game let someone on these forums know so we can use the refer a friend program on you.

Ahldagor
08-13-2016, 11:52 PM
so I looked at the new "cutscenes".

My beef is they aren't fully CGI and are using CGI overlay on live-action WoW in-game animation, essentially using the WoW graphic engine as their studio.

They are using in-game animation constructions rather than full CGI (which costs more than triple what they probably spent easily)

So when people say no CGI cinematics, that's what people mean.An example of fully CGI cinematic would be the Diablo 2 Expansion pack cinematics. That's what full real deal independent CGI looks like.

The use of the in-game engine as a studio to create these cinematics, and then touching them up with CGI for facial expressions and movement is a budget and cost cutting move. Its jewish. Its bobby kotick.... period.

I don't like their pseudo-CGI cost cutting direction, but Ill fucking play it one last time since Blizzard designers are going balls out on this expac with overhauls and new storyline content that makes a CGI boycott look absolutely retarded.

The comic book, "hand drawn" ones seemed out of place. I did lol, approvingly, at the center-screen text window from Warcraft 3 style quest speech during the demon hunter quest line tho'. Felt it was a nice touch.

entruil
08-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Its WoW or nothing really for good reason.

Good reason for nothing really its WoW. or....

Grubbz
08-14-2016, 03:41 PM
So the loot caches you get from the legion event are level scaled to when you "open them" and not when you "obtain them". wish i would have known that when i first started playing, gonna start hoarding them now.

http://imgur.com/a/6K8YZ

entruil
08-14-2016, 07:29 PM
they've also established a system that modifies individual spells, stats, abilities, etc. for pvp. for instance, in instanced pvp, a certain ability may be reduced in effectiveness by 50%. tanks and healers have a damage reduction across the board. this allows them to balance pvp and pve in separate ways that won't risk breaking the other.

Cool, thanks for info and time.

They swore they would never do this iirc.

entruil
08-14-2016, 10:59 PM
Yeah I'm looking forward to it, as its all relatively new to me....Activision and big corporate design has gone a LONG way

Put EA where TooBigToBeBlind& and it lays a segment of the path.

People say mmo mmo fps; Where did mmorpg go?

Bars. Hmmph.

Grubbz
08-15-2016, 04:06 AM
1-87 in a little over a week but i been playing like mad. got 24 legion invasion boxes and a new ui to boot.

http://imgur.com/a/dm0oe

IGN: Malicre#1367 add me

AzzarTheGod
08-15-2016, 04:27 AM
1-87 in a little over a week but i been playing like mad. got 24 legion invasion boxes and a new ui to boot.

http://imgur.com/a/dm0oe

IGN: Malicre#1367 add me

What UI you rockin? Looks gud.

Had a question about ability consolidation.

For example Elemental Shamans had about 20-25 buttons at one point during late WOTLK. Whats up right now with the hotbars in PvP? Is it the same problem EQ2 had with too many abilities, or have they maintained WOTLK and hopefully reduced it just a bit? Trying to get a pulse for max level PvP in terms of abilities and clicks/items.

Grubbz
08-15-2016, 06:04 AM
What UI you rockin? Looks gud.

Had a question about ability consolidation.

For example Elemental Shamans had about 20-25 buttons at one point during late WOTLK. Whats up right now with the hotbars in PvP? Is it the same problem EQ2 had with too many abilities, or have they maintained WOTLK and hopefully reduced it just a bit? Trying to get a pulse for max level PvP in terms of abilities and clicks/items.

WAY less abilities, they seemed to have removed a ton of skills since wotlk, i only have 2 hotbars but i might use 8 skills max in a dungeon, also you can change specs/talents on the fly now for free. i assume the same will work for pvp skills when the prestige system launches (haven't did any real pvp yet, waiting till 100).

That UI is called Elvui, it has a basic installer so you can set it up within a few mins.

AzzarTheGod
08-15-2016, 06:43 AM
WAY less abilities, they seemed to have removed a ton of skills since wotlk, i only have 2 hotbars but i might use 8 skills max in a dungeon, also you can change specs/talents on the fly now for free. i assume the same will work for pvp skills when the prestige system launches (haven't did any real pvp yet, waiting till 100).

That UI is called Elvui, it has a basic installer so you can set it up within a few mins.

Sounds like pretty much what others have said about simplification. Blizzard definitely has my attention with Legion.

Ahldagor
08-15-2016, 01:50 PM
That UI have a sidebar option? It looks nice and consolidated.

Grubbz
08-15-2016, 04:44 PM
That UI have a sidebar option? It looks nice and consolidated.

Yup, sure does, i just don't use them.

Ahldagor
08-15-2016, 05:46 PM
Yup, sure does, i just don't use them.

Gonna try it out. Thank you.

Grubbz
08-16-2016, 04:57 PM
new patch today.

more broken isle content.
invasion exp nerf
invasion increase spawn rate (from 2 every 4 hours to 3 every 2 hours)

Grubbz
08-17-2016, 04:51 PM
One of the best raids in wow is coming back.

https://twitter.com/Methodsco/status/766009521143701504?lang=nl

edit: seems like there bringing it back as a 5 man dungeon.