PDA

View Full Version : Do you see yourself stopping?

Gilder
08-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Been playing with you fine folks for just over a year now. I started in May of last year and my main and only character is 45 (Gilder the Druid).

Now that I'm getting closer and closer to the end game, I feel "okay" with the idea of stopping.

Hear me out - I'm not saying I'm sick of playing. I just feel like I'm getting closer to "closure" with the game.

I was just a kid when EQ went live (barely a teenager), so I never had a powerful, high-level character. I just kind of farted around, traded gear and died in exotic locations. The world still felt full of mystery long after I quit playing. Now that I'm getting to see a lot of that content, I feel like I'm successfully scratching the nostalgia itch. Do you guys ever feel that way?

EQ sometimes feels like a game I never quite "beat" and I'm coming back to it now for that sense of closure. There's a lot of games out there for the first Playstation I feel this way about - the best example being Final Fantasy 8. I finally beat a few years ago and I look back on the story and the experiences fondly. Never with any sort of "burn out."

I guess what I mean is - do you see yourself parting ways with EQ in a POSITIVE light?

phacemeltar
08-04-2016, 03:48 PM
there are still so many things i want to do

maskedmelon
08-04-2016, 03:53 PM
I've never beat a game, though I've not played all that many either. I'm not here to beat a game or accomplish anything, I just enjoy Norrath ^^

Gilder
08-04-2016, 03:57 PM
Agreed, there's still a TON of things I want to do. I enjoy just going to CB and West Commons Orc Camps and buffing new people.

I guess I just feel like I'm in a... healthier? place with EQ. Does that make sense?

Nostalgia is a drug that I abused for too long I guess is what I'm saying.

Daywolf
08-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Nope. I never got the nostalgia itch, I haven't really stopped playing since launch of live, and I was an adult when it launched. I've always had EQ installed and only take breaks sometimes for a few months or so. Same with UO, but I finally quit playing that 4 years ago, replaced it with something like it but w/o cats.

Gumbo
08-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Starting a new character is what most people do cause there is no ending to EQ...

fash
08-04-2016, 04:12 PM
You might try the pvp server. I played non-pvp on live, and figured I'd give pvp a go when I started here. I'd say it makes the experience more exciting and entertaining.

Gilder
08-04-2016, 04:14 PM
I really dont think I have the time, nor the physical ability to go through another character all over again. My carpal tunnel these days sucks. I've switched to using the mouse left handed.

The PvP server I tried and left. I'm not big into EQ's PvP.

Dark Age of Camelot on the otherhand... lawdy was that fun.

Daywolf
08-04-2016, 04:19 PM
My carpal tunnel these days sucks.
switch to a trackball. I use a center not a thumb, but doesn't matter, which ever works best. They don't cause any pain.

barrettdc1
08-04-2016, 04:21 PM
roll on red or go back to blu fuk boi

Gilder
08-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Daywolf can you recommend any good ones? I would definitely look into this if you think it helps alleviate Carpal Tunnel?

Past two weeks have been brutal. Don't wanna play guitar or ride bikes or anything.

Gilder
08-04-2016, 04:22 PM
roll on red or go back to blu fuk boi

Great discussion. You're the man.

Daywolf
08-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Daywolf can you recommend any good ones? I would definitely look into this if you think it helps alleviate Carpal Tunnel?

Past two weeks have been brutal. Don't wanna play guitar or ride bikes or anything.
atm I just use a logitech trackman, 4-button. But there are others with zoom among other features. If you never used one before, it takes some time getting use to, but I win fps matches with it, especially going all day w/o fatigue. I play guitar too, so yeah the finger action is a natural. I use to get nasty hand pain from mice.

Gilder
08-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Well, Daywolf, I think you might have just converted me.

I'm gonna give a trackball a go. Can't get any worse than what I'm dealing with right.

Feel like an old ass man...

Thulack
08-04-2016, 04:41 PM
One day after 14 years of playing on Live and P99 i just lost the urge to keep playing. I found other games to play that i had more fun doing and slowly stopped logging in. 2 years later i visit the forums daily just outta habit of it being in my rotation of website i check and i log in maybe once every 2-3 months to say hi to friends and make sure all my shit is still there. But i get more enjoyment out of playing other games especially ones that i can accomplish in 5-45 mins nowadays.

R Flair
08-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Never had a nostalgia itch really; I just like EQ. I like it almost as much today as I did way back when except for the fact that there is little mystery left. Still enjoy it as much as ever, esp on new servers.

I still play to this day and the only thing that keeps me from playing more is that p99 lacks servers on a proper timeline that give a real classic EQ feel. These servers today are just too easy due to mudflation.

Cant wait for Pantheon.

Gilder
08-04-2016, 04:47 PM
These servers today are just too easy due to mudflation.

I definitely notice that a lot. The game is much easier with the amount of gear everywhere. Can't even remember the last time I had a full group wipe.

R Flair
08-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Exactly. Its just doesn't feel rewarding like it should. Trying to actually get in a group where people aren't twinked to the tits is nearly impossible.

Daywolf
08-04-2016, 06:43 PM
Never had a nostalgia itch really; I just like EQ. Yeah, especially when older mmo's are superior to the newer ones.

Well, Daywolf, I think you might have just converted me.

I'm gonna give a trackball a go. Can't get any worse than what I'm dealing with right.

Feel like an old ass man...
Here's a good doctor vid on it https://youtu.be/YK77VJmQeEU
It'll for sure remedy it. In fact there is so little movement, best to shake circulation into your hand now and then hehe, though not an issue really.

Here's a noob review for gaming (very noobish), general overview https://youtu.be/VJRbvOC6woI He's right about it taking time to get use to, and he's put a little time into it but none into gaming. Generally after a couple weeks it becomes more natural. Couple months you might be doing better with it than you ever did with your mouse, especially if you already have good finger control with guitars or fast on keyboarding (WPM). Also, that model does have lock-scrolling, he just didn't know that.

I definitely prefer the trackball over a mouse for general precision in games. In his case, he didn't slide up the sensitivity settings when he was gaming. I "whip" to target every time, even do 180 degree whip arounds/spins with ease, then hit my target without needing to drag a mouse back onto my desk. I can't tell you how many mice I've thrown against the wall on accident lol.

But yeah, with practice, precision can be excellent. I used one to play BF2142, played for years, even after most moved on, and my fav weapon was the Voss L-AR. That's a compact precision light assault rifle, spec-ops weapon. Low caliber and all about accuracy. My career kill ratio with it was 20 to 1 and always ranked top three in full matches, and that while most of my game was squad leader conducting assaults which usually gets you killed hehe. Made rank of General with a trackball easily.

Now trackball on the side or on top is personal preference. This guy shows one https://youtu.be/AsHtjnDMYkE But I've never used a side one before, simply because I know my index and bird finger are more accurate than my thumb.

silo32
08-04-2016, 06:55 PM
there are still so many things i want to do

I have been playing on p99 emu since launch. 2 Years on blue and close to 4 on red. I have 2 60's on blue and have done the raid scene pre kunark, post kunark. I have 9 lvl 60's and 7 of them have epics, 2 with Vp keys on red.

As long as the servers are online. I will continue to log in at my leisure and everquest. I do take breaks up to weeks or months at a time. Its nice to know i can log in and my game is "saved".

if 45 is your main.. you have quit a way to "closure" even at 60 you feel like you won but its really just the first step to the end game.

AA's could really spice up this game tho.

JackFlash
08-04-2016, 08:37 PM

I use the logitech M570 wireless. No pain, less movement.

Tecmos Deception
08-04-2016, 10:45 PM
I guess what I mean is - do you see yourself parting ways with EQ in a POSITIVE light?

Don't see myself parting with it permanently. I've played on and off for 15 years now. Why would I anticipate ever quitting for good?

Nibblewitz
08-05-2016, 12:03 AM
Only a degenerate raider has to ask this question.

Thulack
08-05-2016, 12:17 AM
I use the logitech M570 wireless. No pain, less movement.

This is what i use as well.

Daywolf
08-05-2016, 12:59 AM
This is what i use as well.
Well yeah, I'd suggest going with either the horizontal thumb tball or the ergonomic vertical tball like the one I mentioned I use atm (there are better featured ones - bought it at Staples and only one they had like it). There are two other choices, one that is at a 90 degree thumb tball (mostly extinct), and then those bigger flat trackballs.

I started out with the flat ones on PC (my first one was on an atari 2600 lol), and they do have a certain benefit over the rest. You can basically turn down the sensitivity compared to the others, more at regular mouse speed, or a tad faster really. This is good for fine control, for getting your crosshairs/pointer exact a little faster.

But when you want to make bigger adjustments, you might use palm slaps (especially on full flips), so move your wrist/arm more often... but still less than a mouse. Also you will use your ring finger on the ball more, 3 fingers, so depends how much pinky finger control you feel comfortable with to hit the right clicker. Me, I feel better hovering my ring finger over the alt button/s all the time, then I stab my pinky into the table or chair arm, gives me depth awareness when I'm touching the tball lightly (I press index harder when I want more exact control - lighter less fatigue).

imo the benefit with a thumb drive, you have two fingers free, so something with extra buttons/wheel there may be best. Center ergonomic if you pref your index finger to drive and ring finger often used as orientation (keeps your index centered). Flats are probably best for like fps shooters, but more susceptible to fatigue.

beyondinfin
08-05-2016, 02:39 AM
Do that thing that you do until you dont need to do what you used to do before you stopped doing what you did and accept that you stop doin what you do when you dont want to do that thing your done doing.

AzzarTheGod
08-05-2016, 02:46 AM
AA's could really spice up this game tho.

me n HB tried bro, it aint happening but maybe some day in a few more years

after velly is out for a few more years and custom zones have been out for 2-3 years, I think we will see AA discussion start again. We are talking 5-6 years away though.

Daywolf
08-05-2016, 03:55 AM
Here, as far as EQ, I'll give this advice:
If you like it, if you had a moment there, keep it on your list; keep it updated. Like with all old-school mmo's, they have a level of burnout associated with them. Was the same for MUD's. I can play a new f2p gimmick mmo for a couple months and forget about it after playing, but these older challenging mmo's that push you into co-op play, lasting impression, because they are really that much better. Visit us in OT, get back into the grind in your timing, I know I'm still reeling with the Steam summer sale results (single-player games mostly) myself, like every year.

indiscriminate_hater
08-05-2016, 11:41 AM
I got that pixel sickness

Baler
08-05-2016, 12:10 PM
do you see yourself parting ways with EQ in a POSITIVE light?
No. I do not. Which is why I'll never be able to quit. Same goes to UO.

These classic mmos UO & EQ are a huge part of my past as a gamer. I would go as far as they're a drug to me. Sooner or later I need my fix. I've grown up with a bitter sweet relationship with these games. I love and hate them for so many reasons.

I think about times I've missed out on because I decided to stay home and play them. I also think about all the awesome memories I've had playing them and meeting new people from all over the world.

We only have so much life and how we choose to live it is up to us to decide. I would not be who I am today if I had not made the choices I did. It is too late to go back and change the past. Am I accepting that I am stuck on an old game, yes and no. I have matured and know now that I can make wiser choices. Go out and live life a little instead of sitting at home on an old game.

There is always a quiet rainy day I can play EQ. So long as Project 1999 stays online I will log in and play it.

Gilder
08-08-2016, 04:22 PM
Well yeah, I'd suggest going with either the horizontal thumb tball or the ergonomic vertical tball like the one I mentioned I use atm (there are better featured ones - bought it at Staples and only one they had like it). There are two other choices, one that is at a 90 degree thumb tball (mostly extinct), and then those bigger flat trackballs.

Yo Daywolf, I bought a trackball mouse over the weekend. HUGE help. Thanks, man.

Definitely cuts down on carpal tunnel stress.

pgerman
08-09-2016, 08:25 AM
people need "closure" to stop playing video games now?

it's not some complicated life choice

hope i don't trigger any of you into uncontrollable seizures , killing retards isnt my thing

myriverse
08-09-2016, 11:33 AM
MMORPGs don't really have "end games."

Thulack
08-09-2016, 12:03 PM
MMORPGs don't really have "end games."

They have end game. They just dont have a end to the game.

Spyder73
08-09-2016, 12:53 PM
There is a point where the time investment is not worth it anymore and you have essentially beaten P99 - I for example, have killed every single raid boss in the game...so what is there left to do? Farm said raid bosses so I can more easily kill the same raid bosses? I want to complete my Bard and Necro epic and I don't think there will be anything keeping me here, but those are not easily completed! I did however complete my dream of Monk Epic, so I am satisfied with my P99 experience thus far.

Csihar
08-09-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm still trying to find wifey on here. No luck so far

demokatt
08-13-2016, 03:49 AM
Yeah that is one classic thing p99 has not been able to recreate, the ability to find your future wife in East Commonlands.

AenorVZ
08-13-2016, 07:22 AM
Take a break and come back for recycle. You don't want to touch end game in its current state.