PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones spin off show

Trungep99
07-26-2016, 03:10 PM
So there is a discussion about a spin off show for GoT is possibly that may be placed in production. I worry it will become a lamer version of the show, similar to Fear The Walking Dead. George RR Martin put years in creating his story, I'm sure HBO will have a short time line to write a plot and create new characters no one has any investment in.
Any thoughts on this?

http://www.viralthread.com/theres-going-to-be-a-game-of-thrones-spin-off-itll-probably-be-epic-56348/?utm_campaign=post&utm_source=sersp&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_term=515&__ssuid=65273

R Flair
07-26-2016, 04:10 PM
I think it would be pretty easy to make a decent spinoff with the game of thrones universe. Lot of good groundwork has been laid, but one has to wonder how much will change between now and the end of the series.

Sage Truthbearer
07-26-2016, 04:13 PM
It can be done very well with good writing.

Better Call Saul is a great example of a spin-off show (of Breaking Bad) done right.

AzzarTheGod
07-26-2016, 05:05 PM
It can be done very well with good writing.

Better Call Saul is a great example of a spin-off show (of Breaking Bad) done right.

This. You bring in the writers (not just 1 guy) a good writers room can do anything.

The writers room is key. D&D are a great example of not respecting the writers room.

Villide
07-27-2016, 01:35 PM
The Dunk & Egg books are great and would be kind of a fun show. Not sure how much they could pull from less than 400 pages though.

Sirken
07-27-2016, 04:12 PM
i enjoyed the Dunk & Egg books a great deal, but it's a completely different vibe than the GoT books. if people went into Dunk & Egg expecting GoT they'd be upset. and if they tried to alter Dunk & Egg to fit a GoT feeling, i don't think it would go well.

the Dunk & Egg books have an underlying humor to them, and when there is drama, it doesn't feel the same.

but really, how about GRRM finishes the last two D&E books before HBO starts another unfinished series by GRRM

AzzarTheGod
07-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Dunk & Egg has a Hercules TV show vibe to me. Where even the violence in Hercules was supposed to be humorful. If you all remember that show with Kevin Sorbo.

Like there was nothing funny about the Hercules plot, or the violence inherently, but every scene had levity and humor between Hercules and his partner as they were involved in all this drama every episode.

As Sirk said its more of a comedic drama.

Sirken
07-28-2016, 12:27 AM
Dunk & Egg has a Hercules TV show vibe to me. Where even the violence in Hercules was supposed to be humorful. If you all remember that show with Kevin Sorbo.

Like there was nothing funny about the Hercules plot, or the violence inherently, but every scene had levity and humor between Hercules and his partner as they were involved in all this drama every episode.

As Sirk said its more of a comedic drama.

but you know that 7v7 trial by combat would be epic :p

Spyder73
07-28-2016, 08:36 AM
I read a series of books called the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, they are pretty good - very different vibe than GoT - but very good. They are being developed into a TV series and movie by Twentieth Century Fox. So if you like books where they become TV/Movies, then read the Kingkiller Chronicles.

Plus it's only a 3 book series with 2 of the books already released. The third book has been under development for awhile now and should be released within the year (Unless the f@cker turns out to be like GRRM)

Alenon
07-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Been waiting 5 years for the 3rd book, expect to wait 3 more :P

CmCKiller
07-29-2016, 10:49 AM
If they were to make a spin off I would rather see a story based around Rhaegar Targaryen, young ned stark, robert baratheon, tywin lannister, lyanna stark, elia martell and the mad king and barristan selmy in his prime.

We have all heard the characters talk about it. I have not read Dunk and Egg and I am sure a lot of people who enjoy GoT never heard of it too and would relate more to the Rhaegar Targaryen era Battle of the Trident.

Maybe Dunk and Egg has that I dont know. Never read it.

xKoopa
07-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Dunk and egg are in the same era i believe, perhaps leading up to it

Been a while since i read

Sirban
07-29-2016, 05:31 PM
They already made one. Its called "Game of Bones: Winter is Cumming"

R Flair
07-29-2016, 07:16 PM
They already made one. Its called "Game of Bones: Winter is Cumming"
Nothin chilly about that winter.