PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek - Beyond

dafier
07-26-2016, 02:31 PM
Saw it this weekend. Liked the story and the movie over all.

My issues with it:

1. Ending part was a little weak on how they over came their adversaries.

2. Over all the story was good but predictable and the outcome/ending was sorta predictable. I thought there was going to be a change of heart at the end, but nope, the enemy was lost in his own grief.

3. Sulu...wtf is that? I wanted to see some gay bar action. Oh well.

Trungep99
07-26-2016, 03:06 PM
I agree with 1.
I found the doomsday devise underwhelming.

big_ole_jpn
07-26-2016, 03:42 PM
First new Star Trek I saw since the first Abrams. It was really bad -- you would expect it to have a 60 on RT. It has more like 85%. I'm starting to doubt that site more and more by the day.

The opener was superfluous and didn't set anything up in addition to being retarded. The Beastie Boys thing had me cringing HARD. Scotty had 25 lines yet said "cannae" at least 15 times.

Also the title cards included Alibaba and another Chinese company?? Chang chongs finance our star trek movies now???

Lune
07-26-2016, 03:46 PM
I thought it was a fun movie, had good special effects. Obviously it was stupid but I didn't go into the theater to see Star Trek directed by the Fast and the Furious guy expecting it to make me feel something

Also the title cards included Alibaba and another Chinese company?? Chang chongs finance our star trek movies now???

I saw that too and wasn't pleased to have Chinamen owning our media. It's like the last thing we make.

R Flair
07-26-2016, 04:18 PM
I seriously hope the new Star Trek series next year pulls way away from the Abrams motif and moves back closer to TNG/DS9/Voyager. We already know its going to be really different, but hopefully not this hokey action flick, Abrams alternate universe powered by lens flares.

Spyder73
07-26-2016, 04:54 PM
I havnt seen beyond but I liked the other 2 Star Trek movies....then again i like all the new Star Wars movies also....must be due to the fact that I am not an unpleasable troll

R Flair
07-26-2016, 05:11 PM
I actually liked the star trek movies well enough. They just felt incredibly shallow to me as a star trek fan. Not unlike new mmos. Ya I can play them, and compared to other games they are ok, but compared to EQ they are horseshit.

AzzarTheGod
07-26-2016, 05:16 PM
I seriously hope the new Star Trek series next year pulls way away from the Abrams motif and moves back closer to TNG/DS9/Voyager. We already know its going to be really different, but hopefully not this hokey action flick, Abrams alternate universe powered by lens flares.

im interested to see what the fuck happens with it.

Enterprise was a complete train wreck. I feel its going to be Enterprise 2.0 calling it now. Expect sex scenes again and other stuff they think will sell. Show will be off air in 1-2 seasons.

R Flair
07-26-2016, 05:21 PM
im interested to see what the fuck happens with it.

Enterprise was a complete train wreck. I feel its going to be Enterprise 2.0 calling it now. Expect sex scenes again and other stuff they think will sell. Show will be off air in 1-2 seasons.

Oddly enough, I thought enterprise season 3 and 4 (the Xindi stuff esp) were just about the best star trek ever created and on par with TNG. I know it isn't a popular opinion, but it was fantastic for the 10 of us that made it past season 1. I've rewatched the series several times and always feel the first season is definitely lacking, but after that it really wasn't as bad as people made it out to be imo.

Personally, I'd be 100% happy with another Enterprise save that first awkward season.

Spyder73
07-26-2016, 05:49 PM
X files remake was absolutely terrible and I predict a similar fate for any Star Trek series unless they make it an ongoing drama - unless they make it have an actual continuous story (unlike every other Star Trek franchise). People don't like the self contained episodes anymore because we can watch the entire series on netflix/DVR and are looking for more substance from TV shows.

AzzarTheGod
07-26-2016, 06:09 PM
X-files was OK it was mostly for nostalgia. I appreciated the heavier emphasis on the DoD and government; as this made the story more realistic.

Especially the DoD in regards to their power and influence over the FBI and other civilian letterman as national security interests rules the roost since the coup on JFK. . It was good accurate social commentary

R Flair
07-26-2016, 06:36 PM
I liked the new x-files too. At least, the episodes that focused on the main plot and not the silly side episodes. I had enough of that crap with Grimm (which is why I stopped watching it).

Gilder
07-27-2016, 10:31 AM
New Star Trek was very entertaining. I enjoyed it a lot.

Perhaps too much focus on comedy. But I think after the super serious Kahn movie and the wild success of Guardians, they thought a lighter movie would work better. Plus, Simon Pegg wrote a lot of it, so laughs are to be expected from a funny man.

BTW DID YOU KNOW SULU IS GAY - that's how that shot felt. Very shoe horned into the movie. Felt weird seeing someone's spouse in deep space. Virtually everyone else was cut off from their home world... a huge theme of the movie. But not Sulu. His love would travel the galaxy.

Oh and btw, the badass white faced chick at the end was TOTAL deus ex machina. Hey... I know everything about the enemy... I even have a ship... let me help you tie a bow on this in the final few minutes.

Other than a few weak points (nothing to bring the whole structure down) it was a good movie. Love how they referenced the Beastie Boys and Kirk crashing the car from the first movie.

Jerin
07-28-2016, 01:40 AM
Chang chongs

lol

Ferg24
07-28-2016, 02:00 AM
I don't understand what playing the beastie Boys had to do with blowing up space ships. That part was explained more like it would confuse the ships not out right blow them up because some music was playing, in space, where there is no sound.

dafier
07-28-2016, 03:16 PM
I don't understand what playing the beastie Boys had to do with blowing up space ships. That part was explained more like it would confuse the ships not out right blow them up because some music was playing, in space, where there is no sound.

Technically speaking they weren't blasting sound in space with speakers, they were using VHS radio signals to 'interfere' the signal used by the alien ships. And yes, they did say that in the movie.

Overall the movie was good. I was glad to see another finally come out. I think the new crew is awesome.

I am very curious how they are going to either eliminate or replace Chekov.

Lastly, yes the whole Sulu is gay thing just seemed like a last minute shoehorn thing. Well said. Sulu no matter homo or not is a great character, but no need to shove dicks in our mouths while we watch the movie! OK...so I am being a little drama queen. :eek:

AzzarTheGod
07-28-2016, 05:33 PM
Oddly enough, I thought enterprise season 3 and 4 (the Xindi stuff esp) were just about the best star trek ever created and on par with TNG. I know it isn't a popular opinion, but it was fantastic for the 10 of us that made it past season 1. I've rewatched the series several times and always feel the first season is definitely lacking, but after that it really wasn't as bad as people made it out to be imo.

Personally, I'd be 100% happy with another Enterprise save that first awkward season.

Interesting. An Enterprise fan, not only that, but "best star trek ever"? Are you a Next Generation guy, or a Classic Star Trek guy? Please just answer that then I will understand your sentiment a lot more.

I'd need more than just 1 voucher to go back and take a look at Enterprise though. I did quit after season 1's Fast and Furious gimmicks.

The promo package for the premier of Enterprise was enough to kill maybe all 4 seasons for me. Fast and Furious is a good way to put it.

Nihilist_santa
07-28-2016, 05:39 PM
Interesting. An Enterprise fan, not only that, but "best star trek ever"? Are you a Next Generation guy, or a Classic Star Trek guy? Please just answer that then I will understand your sentiment a lot more.

I'd need more than just 1 voucher to go back and take a look at Enterprise though. I did quit after season 1's Fast and Furious gimmicks.

The promo package for the premier of Enterprise was enough to kill maybe all 4 seasons for me. Fast and Furious is a good way to put it.

Enterprise definitely the worst series. Worst fucking theme song ever. Archer is just a fucking terrible captain. so indecisive and weak. Other times he acts like a fucking brute. I dont think they knew what they wanted to do with him. That said the series really picks up with the Xindi arc and the last season was pretty good. Good enough that I dont think they should have canceled. Gets into mirror universe stuff and really starts to feel like its tying the other series together some.

Series was canceled because at one time there were like 3 Trek series on plus shit in syndication. It was just over saturated but now is a good time to bring it back. That fan made flick that Paramount shutdown was pretty awesome and would have been a great place for a series or something to come from.

ETA: Recently started watching the bluray of TNG. Forgot how terrible the first season was. Some shit production values and straight up TOS cheesiness (I actually like that though).

R Flair
07-28-2016, 08:28 PM
That said the series really picks up with the Xindi arc and the last season was pretty good. Good enough that I dont think they should have canceled. Gets into mirror universe stuff and really starts to feel like its tying the other series together some.
Yep, they really did pull it together. 3 was good, 4 was excellent. I also really liked how they explained a lot of star trek lore and inconsistencies like the genetic wars (dr sung etc) and why klingons looked like humans in TOS. That stuff was really cool.

ETA: Recently started watching the bluray of TNG. Forgot how terrible the first season was. Some shit production values and straight up TOS cheesiness (I actually like that though).

Yep. TNG season 1 doesn't pick up till closer to the end. First episodes esp are really cheesy. Yet it went on and people bashed Enterprise till it was cancelled. Really a shame imo.

Nihilist_santa
07-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Yep, they really did pull it together. 3 was good, 4 was excellent. I also really liked how they explained a lot of star trek lore and inconsistencies like the clone wars and why klingons looked like humans in TOS. That stuff was really cool.

Yep. TNG season 1 doesn't pick up till closer to the end. First episodes esp are really cheesy. Yet it went on and people bashed Enterprise till it was cancelled. Really a shame imo.

Also Jeffery Combs fucking nailed the Andorians and really fleshed them out (one of my favorite species in Trek). The Time War had potential but was really half assed.

maskedmelon
07-28-2016, 08:38 PM
You always full of new words. What's an Andorian? I just finally googled incel lol.

Still loling ^^

Nihilist_santa
07-28-2016, 10:08 PM
You always full of new words. What's an Andorian? I just finally googled incel lol.

Still loling ^^

http://i.imgur.com/ccxts9Y.gif

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Andorian

Thats an Andorian. Jeffery Combs did a good job of playing one. Enterprise the series the above is from has some overall terrible acting though.

R Flair
07-29-2016, 05:08 AM
Ya Jeffrey Combs is an incredible actor. He did a great job guest starring on all the Star Trek series. I really liked him as Weyoun.

I think he has the record of most roles played (8 different characters) in Star Trek.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Jeffrey_Combs