PDA

View Full Version : Fake folk hate thread

big_ole_jpn
07-23-2016, 12:07 AM
First Aid Kit, Neko Case, Fleet Foxes. Who are these feminist 'folk' artists? From whence do they trace their lineage? How do you get away with sounding like you're from Tennessee as a trust fund Portlander?

Any music buffs around here able to recommend me similar groups? I want to compile a list of this trash

Plz don't bother posting if you don't agree that Nirvana sucks dick.

Lune
07-23-2016, 12:20 AM
Fleet Foxes is prob my 2nd or 3rd least favorite band, First Aid Kit is horrible too.

Similar groups (other than the most obvious ones)

Local Natives (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmefFcRJbXE)
Grizzly Bear (<3 Ready, Able) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puph1hejMQE)
16 Horsepower - Heel on the Shovel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymSR_E0W9_A)
Agincourt (Vaguely) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_2TurC_7o)

Okkervil River is another terrible one, vaguely folksy but really nothing like Fleet Foxes

maskedmelon
07-23-2016, 12:24 AM
Nirvana sucks dick.

Yes, and no idea who any of those other bands are.

big_ole_jpn
07-23-2016, 12:41 AM
Fleet Foxes is prob my 2nd or 3rd least favorite band, First Aid Kit is horrible too.

16 Horsepower - Heel on the Shovel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymSR_E0W9_A)

Okkervil River is another terrible one, vaguely folksy but really nothing like Fleet Foxes

Quality contribution.

I looked up First Aid Kit, turns out they are from Sweden (lol) and got signed based on a Fleet Foxes cover they did on youtube. The fake southern drawl they use grates on me really fucking hard.

Grizzly Bear qualifies as fake folk on a technical basis, butt I think they're actually pretty decent so I will withhold the hate part.

AzzarTheGod
07-23-2016, 01:03 AM
Plz don't bother posting if you don't agree that Nirvana sucks dick.

I fucking hate Nirvana and the artists involved with everything in me. I hope they all die.

Lune
07-23-2016, 01:23 AM
I fucking hate Nirvana and the artists involved with everything in me. I hope they all die.

Why?

Nihilist_santa
07-23-2016, 01:32 AM
I saw and folk and hate and was expecting some sweet Death in June videos :(

AzzarTheGod
07-23-2016, 02:29 AM
Why?

They are the scum of the Earth.

HeyNomad
07-23-2016, 03:07 AM
Don't have much to add to your list and I don't particularly mind Nirvana, but there are no words for how much I hate Fleet Foxes. This review comes pretty close though (http://www.nme.com/reviews/fleet-foxes/12024): "fucking canoeing music...fake-rustic rootsiness...hey-nonny-nonny" bullshit.

So tired of sensitive white guys sensitively strumming and crooning.

phacemeltar
07-23-2016, 03:20 AM

i think you got the wrong story. after reading his suicide note, ive concluded that kurt kobain was a homosexual. being in the closet would explain his demeanor, imo.

check it out: suicide (http://genius.com/albums/Kurt-cobain/Kurt-cobain-s-suicide-notes)

Lune
07-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Don't have much to add to your list and I don't particularly mind Nirvana, but there are no words for how much I hate Fleet Foxes. This review comes pretty close though (http://www.nme.com/reviews/fleet-foxes/12024): "fucking canoeing music...fake-rustic rootsiness...hey-nonny-nonny" bullshit.

So tired of sensitive white guys sensitively strumming and crooning.

If you don't like a given piece of music because of the image the musicians present, you don't understand music and probably aren't even capable of thinking or feeling at a higher level. The reviewer basically bashes Robin Pecknold & pals for their idiosyncrasies. At no point in the review does he actually criticize the music itself-- until near the end when he actually half-praises it.

I like the music itself. I don't know anything about the band, I had to be reminded what the lead singer's name was, and I'm pretty sure I'd despise whatever archetype their fans usually are, the review probably got that right. And I didn't like helplessness blues at all. But they did make good music. They helped modernize braindead hillbilly folk and make it palatable to young people who grew up in the suburbs, and San Francisco yuppies who put on their flannel shirt and go hike Mount Tamalpais once every 9 months and them claim they are outdoorsy. Who cares? Michael Jackson was a kid-diddler transracial weirdo but he changed music.

Cecily
07-23-2016, 01:11 PM
It genuinely confuses me as to how people could dislike Nirvana. But if doesn't move your miserable, blackened, and doomed to burn in hell for eternity deviant soul, Japan, who I am to judge? Good music isn't for everyone.

maskedmelon
07-23-2016, 01:11 PM

Well shit, I think all of those are ok except the Grizzly Bear. I actually like the Agincourt one. ' Course, wouldn't listen to any of it on my own /shrug

Searched some Fleet Foxes and don't really care for it or First Aid Kit. One of the Fleet Foxes pv (just the video, not the music) reminded me of something, so thought I would share.....

Entirely unrelated, but this is both fantastic music and neat concept ^^"

Wintergatan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q)

Nihilist_santa
07-23-2016, 01:16 PM
It genuinely confuses me as to how people could dislike Nirvana. But if doesn't move your miserable, blackened, and doomed to burn in hell for eternity deviant soul, Japan, who I am to judge? Good music isn't for everyone.

I hate Nirvana and any of the sub pop bands for the most part. Grunge was fucking garbage. GARBAGE. Grunge was the product of failed hippy parenting and passing on hippie drug habits to their kids. So glad most of the peddlers of this shit subculture died of self loathing. Fuck you Layne Stayley. Fuck you Cobain. Fuck you Shannon Hoon. Fuck you Andrew Wood. Im sure there are others.

maskedmelon
07-23-2016, 01:22 PM
I just don't like Nirvana because they do not stimulate me emotionally. They make me neither happy nor sad and I don't feel much of anything when I listen to them. No inspiration, no release, nothing.

Cecily
07-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Grunge saved us from 80s hair bands. If it wasn't for Kurt Cobain, you'd still be listening to Van Halen like it's cool. Well, you probably do.

Hasbinbad
07-23-2016, 01:26 PM
"nirvana r bad" is the new "the beatles r bad"

basic trolls trying to seem edgy by insulting a thing that everyone likes

Hasbinbad
07-23-2016, 01:27 PM
like i dont like the beatles really, but their impact on people and music was profound, and their technical skill and creative drive was evident in the studio and during stage performances.

the exact same critique could be made of nirvana while also not sounding like a jackass, but that's not the sort of thing that is expressed by op.

barrettdc1
07-23-2016, 01:28 PM
First Aid Kit is great, despite Sweden being a cesspool. They're great vocalists, their lyrics are thoughtful and the music is good. If you think they are trash, that's fine. I still dig em :P

I've been a musician for the last 15 years(not saying that as an elitist type thing, people like what they like) and have been around and enjoyed lots of different music. To me, if its good its good. Don't have to be a cousin fucker from alabama to be qualified to play "folk" music. It doesn't work that way.

Hasbinbad
07-23-2016, 01:28 PM
u r so ed-G jpn

Nihilist_santa
07-23-2016, 01:31 PM
Grunge saved us from 80s hair bands. If it wasn't for Kurt Cobain, you'd still be listening to Van Halen like it's cool. Well, you probably do.

Fuck that. Shit like Pantera and Slayer and others were around in the 80s. Industrial like Ministry and KMFDM. That grunge killed hair metal shit isnt true. Grunge was talentless accept for a few people like Jerry Cantrell(AiC singer/Guitars) and even he hates grunge and loves country music.

Nihilist_santa
07-23-2016, 01:32 PM
like i dont like the beatles really, but their impact on people and music was profound, and their technical skill and creative drive was evident in the studio and during stage performances.

the exact same critique could be made of nirvana while also not sounding like a jackass, but that's not the sort of thing that is expressed by op.

I dont care for the Beetles but someone managed to turn me on to 1 decent song of theirs. Tomorrow never knows I think was it.

Lune
07-23-2016, 02:00 PM
I just don't like Nirvana because they do not stimulate me emotionally. They make me neither happy nor sad and I don't feel much of anything when I listen to them. No inspiration, no release, nothing.

This is the only reasonable perspective on Nirvana so far. Note how it isn't "Kurt Cobain was a faggot in his personal life so I don't like their music".

barrettdc1
07-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Fuck that. Shit like Pantera and Slayer and others were around in the 80s. Industrial like Ministry and KMFDM. That grunge killed hair metal shit isnt true. Grunge was talentless accept for a few people like Jerry Cantrell(AiC singer/Guitars) and even he hates grunge and loves country music.

Pantera went through a phase in their early days where they looked like a hair metal band(I haven't heard any music from that time, can't comment on that). But yea bands like Metallica, Slayer, Venom, and Pantera were starting to rise in the 80's. Hell, even Cannibal Corpse was around back then.

barrettdc1
07-23-2016, 02:05 PM
This is the only reasonable perspective on Nirvana so far. Note how it isn't "Kurt Cobain was a faggot in his personal life so I don't like their music".

I never listened to Nirvana, but I get hit with nostalgia when I hear some of their music cause I was a kid when they were a big hit(I'm 30 years old currently). A lot of my old friends would dig Nirvana so I'd hear it a lot.

Sassystew
07-23-2016, 02:16 PM
I Love the fleet foxes! (But I'm from Portland)
I don't think thry have a southern drool.
But then again I play eq so what does that say about my judgment?
XD

big_ole_jpn
07-23-2016, 03:36 PM
"nirvana r bad" is the new "the beatles r bad"

basic trolls trying to seem edgy by insulting a thing that everyone likes
Except Beatles were good, whereas Nirvana was not. It's not even edgy to dislike this shitty band, dude.
We get it, you will open wide to drink whatever zogpiss is sprayed in your direction and grunge was a better corporatized cesspit of radio music to steep in than hair bands. On that last part I do actually agree, marginally.
First Aid Kit is great, despite Sweden being a cesspool. They're great vocalists, their lyrics are thoughtful and the music is good. If you think they are trash, that's fine. I still dig em :P

I've been a musician for the last 15 years(not saying that as an elitist type thing, people like what they like) and have been around and enjoyed lots of different music. To me, if its good its good. Don't have to be a cousin fucker from alabama to be qualified to play "folk" music. It doesn't work that way.
But to go so far out of your way to affect a Southern accent to appeal to soccer moms and grandmothers, while being a resident of Sweden? I'm not claiming that I'm making an objective argument here (I often roleplay a black man from the projects online myself), but it rings really false. I'd be more open to this aspect if the music were decent and not such obvious pandering feminist tripe in the first place.

Most of the songs I've heard by these people sound more like an annoying broad's excuse to be passive-aggressive in the car than good music. Well I'm a goddaaaaam coward but theheeen again so are yeeeeeew Christ the lyrics make me choke.

I kinda figured it went without saying. The music leaves me at a flatline emotionally, like System of a Down or Creed or any other "rock" group you think of with a giant marketing budget and little talent. It sounds like a cash register.

I honestly think this is the consensus opinion in civilized society -- the demographics are a little skewed here I think, with myself a little outside of the childhood Nirvana fan demo and most people here square in it. You guys probably get a little bit of nostalgic charge out of this stuff like I would get from Backstreet Boys, but unlike Backstreet it sounds similar enough to actual music that one might be confused when evaluating the merits of this shitty band. I feel for you but seriously, go listen to some Nirvana right now and hear for yourself how bad it is.

Bazia
07-23-2016, 03:48 PM
yikes some pretentious fucks in here on both sides of the coin

i consider nirvana the same as pearl jam, candlebox and all that other shit

good for a song or two every few years but in general just whiny and a downer

Evia
07-23-2016, 03:52 PM

This.

On a somewhat related note I like some folk rock bands. I haven't listened to these "shitty" ones you mentioned yet though. I'll have to take a listen.

I really enjoy The Head and the Heart and The Lumineers. Definitely more folk-pop rock, but I dig it.

barrettdc1
07-23-2016, 04:43 PM
Except Beatles were good, whereas Nirvana was not. It's not even edgy to dislike this shitty band, dude.

We get it, you will open wide to drink whatever zogpiss is sprayed in your direction and grunge was a better corporatized cesspit of radio music to steep in than hair bands. On that last part I do actually agree, marginally.

But to go so far out of your way to affect a Southern accent to appeal to soccer moms and grandmothers, while being a resident of Sweden? I'm not claiming that I'm making an objective argument here (I often roleplay a black man from the projects online myself), but it rings really false. I'd be more open to this aspect if the music were decent and not such obvious pandering feminist tripe in the first place.

Most of the songs I've heard by these people sound more like an annoying broad's excuse to be passive-aggressive in the car than good music. Well I'm a goddaaaaam coward but theheeen again so are yeeeeeew Christ the lyrics make me choke.

I kinda figured it went without saying. The music leaves me at a flatline emotionally, like System of a Down or Creed or any other "rock" group you think of with a giant marketing budget and little talent. It sounds like a cash register.

I honestly think this is the consensus opinion in civilized society -- the demographics are a little skewed here I think, with myself a little outside of the childhood Nirvana fan demo and most people here square in it. You guys probably get a little bit of nostalgic charge out of this stuff like I would get from Backstreet Boys, but unlike Backstreet it sounds similar enough to actual music that one might be confused when evaluating the merits of this shitty band. I feel for you but seriously, go listen to some Nirvana right now and hear for yourself how bad it is.

lmao. If you'd listen to more than 10 seconds of a song you'd notice they actually don't sign with a southern accent. I know a southern accent cause i'm a fucking southerner. They don't possess it. Their diction and dialect is of someone who is Swedish and learned English as their second language. Their influence is Emmy Lou Harris and similar country artists so that's why their compositions sound the way they do.

And the lyric you quoted is completely out of context by itself, and has nothing to do with empowering women or has anything to do with feminism. Most of their songs tell stories, albeit fictional. They're just songs. They aren't wearing their ideologies on their sleeves. Like I said I don't care if you don't like First Aid Kit but stop trying to paint them as some fake pro feminist shit show. They're not.

barrettdc1
07-23-2016, 04:48 PM
This isn't a dig at any of the posters tastes in music, but I'm curious. Of the people who posted int his thread, what are the bands you're into at the moment?

Lately I've been into Daughter, Periphery, Tom Waits, Jeff Buckley and Julien Baker. I'm all over the place as far as genres.

AzzarTheGod
07-23-2016, 05:10 PM

I knew a guy who absolutely worshipped Pearl Jam. He'd only listen to Pearl Jam. Go to Pearl Jam shows.

Carried the cassette with him in highschool at Lunch, listened to Pearl Jam during his free period. Biggest footballer who was swangin big thangs. I cracked a joke about something unrelated once (think it was a shirtless pic that my friend printed out and was circulating around the school) and he destroyed my lunch in front of everyone for circulating the pics and laughing about it.

I wouldn't put Pearl Jam and Nirvana together. I hate Nirvana with a passion, I don't like Pearl Jam but I can recognize their following is completely different than Nirvana

big_ole_jpn
07-23-2016, 05:20 PM
lmao. If you'd listen to more than 10 seconds of a song you'd notice they actually don't sign with a southern accent. I know a southern accent cause i'm a fucking southerner. They don't possess it. Their diction and dialect is of someone who is Swedish and learned English as their second language. Their influence is Emmy Lou Harris and similar country artists so that's why their compositions sound the way they do.

And the lyric you quoted is completely out of context by itself, and has nothing to do with empowering women or has anything to do with feminism. Most of their songs tell stories, albeit fictional. They're just songs. They aren't wearing their ideologies on their sleeves. Like I said I don't care if you don't like First Aid Kit but stop trying to paint them as some fake pro feminist shit show. They're not.

Quoting the chorus of the title song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl5FdvRR4pQ)of their most popular album is taking their lyrics out of context? God damn I almost puked when I caught that Van Zandt reference in the beginning of this song for the first time just now.

I'm aware it's not a Southern accent dingus. It's an affectation. And it doesn't sound like a Swedish accent whatsoever -- it sounds like a person relatively fluent in transatlantic English being Hillary in Tennessee.

Band sux. Get used to it.

As far as what I'm listening to lately -- Dogg Pound, pac, Wu Tang solo albums, Tame Impala, recently got introduced to the Aphex Twins and they're really good. Lots more. I have eclectic taste.

Nihilist_santa
07-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Haha I knew you would comment on this Bazia. Almost said Temple of the Dog but that would have been too obvious. They are about to reunite and tour btw.

I dont dislike the music so much as the subculture that sprang up around it. They were like proto-SJW's. People like Janeane Garofalo just watch that movie PCU it satirizes alot of that shit. Then there were the idiots that followed their rock gods and spewed a renewed heroin craze.

AzzarTheGod
07-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Haha I knew you would comment on this Bazia. Almost said Temple of the Dog but that would have been too obvious. They are about to reunite and tour btw.

I dont dislike the music so much as the subculture that sprang up around it. They were like proto-SJW's. People like Janeane Garofalo just watch that movie PCU it satirizes alot of that shit. Then there were the idiots that followed their rock gods and spewed a renewed heroin craze.

Good post. upboat for calling out the janeane garofalo cultists. I know there are a lot of them on here. that rustled a lot of gen-X'ers and Ys.

barrettdc1
07-23-2016, 05:56 PM
Quoting the chorus of the title song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl5FdvRR4pQ)of their most popular album is taking their lyrics out of context? God damn I almost puked when I caught that Van Zandt reference in the beginning of this song for the first time just now.

I'm aware it's not a Southern accent dingus. It's an affectation. And it doesn't sound like a Swedish accent whatsoever -- it sounds like a person relatively fluent in transatlantic English being Hillary in Tennessee.

Band sux. Get used to it.

As far as what I'm listening to lately -- Dogg Pound, pac, Wu Tang solo albums, Tame Impala, recently got introduced to the Aphex Twins and they're really good. Lots more. I have eclectic taste.

Lol. Hey well I'm not here to try and change your mind I guess. You like what you like. I can't say that the band sucks, though. Just my opinion.

Aphex Twin is the shit. I don't listen to a lot of hiphop so the rest fo the shit you listed is over my head but if its good, its good.

Hasbinbad
07-23-2016, 08:49 PM
independent analysis of music will show evidence of nirvana across all genres in nearly everything since they dropped. arguing that you don't like them is one thing. arguing that they aren't good is subjective. arguing that they aren't good as if that argument of yours was objective evidence of badness makes you a bad. arguing that they weren't one of the most influential bands in music history is silly, and you smell bad.

Hasbinbad
07-23-2016, 08:51 PM
let me remind you of rock music before nirvana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-y5RjL1vg

maskedmelon
07-23-2016, 09:14 PM
This isn't a dig at any of the posters tastes in music, but I'm curious. Of the people who posted int his thread, what are the bands you're into at the moment?

Lately I've been into Daughter, Periphery, Tom Waits, Jeff Buckley and Julien Baker. I'm all over the place as far as genres.

marshmello (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnwsMEabmSo)

One Ok Rock (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV4vcr8E4HU)

Blackmill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3-sw4m0NR8)

Intervals (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUsEwsnvEeA)

Wagakki Band (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2meWkWqc-I)

Nihilist_santa
07-23-2016, 09:16 PM
independent analysis of music will show evidence of nirvana across all genres in nearly everything since they dropped. arguing that you don't like them is one thing. arguing that they aren't good is subjective. arguing that they aren't good as if that argument of yours was objective evidence of badness makes you a bad. arguing that they weren't one of the most influential bands in music history is silly, and you smell bad.

Obvious you dont know shit but mainstream bullshit. The Melvins influenced Nirvana and the entire grunge sound. Robert Johnson was influential but his music still sounds like shit. Anyone influenced by Nirvana is shit (see current music scene for examples).

If you were listening to Skid Row thats on you. There was loads of badass metal and industrial being made in the 80s that sounds nothing like hair metal. Grunge became the hair metal of its day.

big_ole_jpn
07-23-2016, 09:21 PM
Obvious you dont know shit but mainstream bullshit. The Melvins influenced Nirvana and the entire grunge sound. Robert Johnson was influential but his music still sounds like shit. Anyone influenced by Nirvana is shit (see current music scene for examples).

If you were listening to Skid Row thats on you. There was loads of badass metal and industrial being made in the 80s that sounds nothing like hair metal. Grunge became the hair metal of its day.

This gringo hit a bingo

Hasbinbad
07-23-2016, 10:10 PM
where did i say the melvins weren't influential? arent they like .. a listed influence of cobain? lol. p sure he used to wear a melvins shirt all the time. wtf is this argument?

and japan the cheerleader lol

Cecily
07-24-2016, 01:52 PM
let me remind you of rock music before nirvana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-y5RjL1vg

Yeah that's kinda my point. Maybe these hipsters didn't like mainstream grunge / alternative. I enjoyed it. It got much worse later on, but 90s were a good time for music on the radio.

Nihilist_santa
07-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Yeah that's kinda my point. Maybe these hipsters didn't like mainstream grunge / alternative. I enjoyed it. It got much worse later on, but 90s were a good time for music on the radio.

You look like Perry Farrell so your opinion is biased.

http://i.imgur.com/5J2l7qd.jpg

Hasbinbad
07-24-2016, 02:37 PM
fuck perry farrell

Hasbinbad
07-24-2016, 02:54 PM
thats gangster

Cecily
07-24-2016, 03:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/OTMEXdX.jpg

Lojik
07-24-2016, 03:30 PM