PDA

View Full Version : True or Not?

Lurikeen
07-20-2016, 08:48 PM
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky

Daywolf
07-20-2016, 09:13 PM
https://youtu.be/gVqO3r3ugVo
he's nuts, a cultural marxist.

Anyway, nah, not unless one is a dog living in a pack of dogs. There are moral and ethical standards by which civilization requires so to function.

Lurikeen
07-20-2016, 09:15 PM
https://youtu.be/gVqO3r3ugVo
he's nuts, a cultural marxist.

Anyway, nah, not unless one is a dog living in a pack of dogs. There are moral and ethical standards by which civilization requires so to function.

I know he's a Marxist. So are you saying what he is saying concerning freedom of speech is wrong?

Daywolf
07-20-2016, 09:18 PM
Shell game? speech vs expression may not always be similar.
But even with speech, not everything is lawful, nor should be.

Ahldagor
07-20-2016, 09:21 PM
I know he's a Marxist. So are you saying what he is saying concerning freedom of speech is wrong?

Daywolf is because it isn't a general use of expression as expression, but conditioned which negates general expression.

Chomsky is right. It's similar to how one may not agree with the KKK, but does support their right to express their views.

Lurikeen
07-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Shell game? speech vs expression may not always be similar.
But even with speech, not everything is lawful, nor should be.

So are you trying to say that "expression" is not protected by the US constitution?

Pokesan
07-20-2016, 09:23 PM
I support the right to loudly disagree with the KKK. If this drowns out their message, so be it.

I don't support the government silencing the KKK.

Lurikeen
07-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Chomsky is right. It's similar to how one may not agree with the KKK, but does support their right to express their views.

BINGO!

Cecily
07-20-2016, 09:26 PM
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." - Noam Chomsky

It's best part about being an American. Absolutely true.

Lurikeen
07-20-2016, 09:28 PM
It's best part about being an American. Absolutely true.

We agree.

Lurikeen
07-20-2016, 09:30 PM
I support the right to loudly disagree with the KKK. If this drowns out their message, so be it.

I don't support the government silencing the KKK.

Agreed. I want to know who disagrees with me so I can have a conversation. There is no way to know who I disagree with if I suppress their messages.

Daywolf
07-20-2016, 09:56 PM
I suppose you and Ma0 would agree in this topic then, and maybe set to repeal his ban? ...which I hope is a permaban, imo no place for expression/speech like that anywhere :mad:
That's right, I think that sort of expression is shit.
No, I know it is.

maskedmelon
07-20-2016, 10:24 PM

This is true, but should we?

If we fully embrace Liberty we condone muder, rape, torture, etc.

Of course we can all agree those things are bad, so we can accept the proposition the rest of the time right?

No we cannot due to varied understandings of right and wrong. My tolerance threshold is harm/disruption. If you are not harming anyone then you should be left alone. Of course then we have define what harm means...

Ahldagor
07-20-2016, 10:40 PM

Of course we can all agree those things are bad, so we can accept the proposition the rest of the time right?

No we cannot due to varied understandings of right and wrong. My tolerance threshold is harm/disruption. If you are not harming anyone then you should be left alone. Of course then we have define what harm means...

You're in a slippery slope there.

Daywolf
07-20-2016, 10:42 PM

Agreed. My observation is this, that the meaning of a thing is sometimes and often dependent of the originator of what was said. In this case, it's not the OP, but that of someone that I know I fully disagree with. Unfortunately, cultural Marxism (I didn't say "marixst" alone) tends to redefine it's dictionary, just as much as the word was perceived to mean speech rather than "expression" - which could be manifest into the physical beyond speech.

Of course even other conservatives I disagree with, like you could have two conservatives in a room and have five different opinions, well at least they usually mean what they say in most cases. But yeah, I perceive the quote of this guy likely to be deceptively misleading, even to all sorts of terrible acts that no civilized world could withstand.

Ahldagor
07-20-2016, 10:55 PM
Agreed. My observation is this, that the meaning of a thing is sometimes and often dependent of the originator of what was said. In this case, it's not the OP, but that of someone that I know I fully disagree with. Unfortunately, cultural Marxism (I didn't say "marixst" alone) tends to redefine it's dictionary, just as much as the word was perceived to mean speech rather than "expression" - which could be manifest into the physical beyond speech.

Of course even other conservatives I disagree with, like you could have two conservatives in a room and have five different opinions, well at least they usually mean what they say in most cases. But yeah, I perceive the quote of this guy likely to be deceptively misleading, even to all sorts of terrible acts that no civilized world could withstand.

You need a rocker, (*points) here, go sit. Your argument lends credence to that any notion given is true. Would you sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse an inaction of desire?

Daywolf
07-20-2016, 11:02 PM
You need a rocker, (*points) here, go sit. Your argument lends credence to that any notion given is true. Would you sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse an inaction of desire?
More like based on absolutes. Like why would I absolutely consider surrendering my big plush lay-z-boy recliner I'm in right now for some dumb rocker?

Ahldagor
07-20-2016, 11:19 PM
More like based on absolutes. Like why would I absolutely consider surrendering my big plush lay-z-boy recliner I'm in right now for some dumb rocker?

Doesn't understand nor answers my question which is a postulated form of a statement from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell.

Pokesan
07-20-2016, 11:20 PM

i think his point is dementia, not a discussion of chair types

maskedmelon
07-20-2016, 11:20 PM
You're in a slippery slope there.

Noam is the one who framed it as a binary absolute. I am just pointing out that all reasonable people endorse limits on expression. The sentiment of tolerance of expression is not misplaced though.

Daywolf
07-20-2016, 11:39 PM
Doesn't understand nor answers my question which is a postulated form of a statement from William Blake's The Marriage of Heaven and Hell.
This book was popular in the 60's among the counter-culture? I'm not that old, just middle-aged like most here. I don't even pretend to understand the baby boomers *shrugs*, let alone guys from England at the turn of the century that admired the French revolution. But never heard of Blake, I did know of Chomsky, though.

Nihilist_santa
07-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Quotes William Blake? Check
Listens to black metal to seem edgy? Check
Lit major? Check
Smokes cloves?Probably

Its confirmed...

http://i.imgur.com/IaBEScB.jpg

Pokesan
07-21-2016, 12:01 AM
Lit major? Check
Smokes cloves?Probably

Its confirmed...

http://i.imgur.com/IaBEScB.jpg

this guy would be hot if he took off all his clothes and danced around a bit

big_ole_jpn
07-21-2016, 12:11 AM

Ahldagor
07-21-2016, 01:27 AM
Lit major? Check
Smokes cloves?Probably

Its confirmed...

Picture deleted due to obnoxious sizing.

Smoke Blue American Spirit unlike some plebian. I do enjoy black metal for the baroque and romantic blendings with the tongue in check abrahamic humor. Lit major has been previously admitted to. Didn't directly quote Blake, but alluded to. Santa bent out of shape that there's a more talented fatass, Blake who liked to sit in his front yard naked with his naked wife, than they in the usage of words and has to resort to hate speech?

Lune
07-21-2016, 09:58 AM

Lurikeen
07-21-2016, 06:53 PM

Uh, huh. What does your wife think about that?