PDA

View Full Version : I've lost the desire to play everquest

Hailto
07-14-2016, 01:45 PM
And it makes me sad. Have any of you experienced and beaten this illness? How do I enjoy the nostalgia again when it isn't fun anymore. Pls help.

Spyder73
07-14-2016, 01:59 PM
1) do not raid
2) take a break and play something else for a bit (im playing star craft 2 LoV - hella fun)
3) come back and twink an alt

Hailto
07-14-2016, 02:10 PM
Ive already taken about a 6mo break. Maybe I need to try an untwinked alt.

Jauna
07-14-2016, 02:14 PM
Probably time to move on. Nostalgia can only fuel so much.

You have a level 60, you probably done a few raids.. after awhile deep down you know its a 17 year old game on an emulated server chasing pixels when there are other things out there like... candy and .. other things.

Delete your characters and never look back, its how I left EQ and WoW.

Gilder
07-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Jauna seems to be touching on the Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Defin. "Your decisions are tainted by the emotional investments you accumulate, and the more you invest in something the harder it becomes to abandon it"

Hailto
07-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Well fuck me

Pokesan
07-14-2016, 05:34 PM
sorry your guild lost

Hailto
07-14-2016, 05:36 PM
I haven't raided in a long long time

Danth
07-14-2016, 05:41 PM
The wife and I come and go, too. We've had breaks from P1999 as long as a year or so, at times.

The best way to enjoy this game long term is to know what you like and stick to those parts of it. It's a big game world with a lot of different ways folks can make use of it. I don't know if it applies to you personally, but folks sometimes get so caught up in the drive to progress that they progress themselves right out of the parts of the game they enjoy.

Danth

Paleman
07-14-2016, 05:45 PM
every time you try to feel the same feeling it gets duller. Just let go.

Ahldagor
07-14-2016, 06:07 PM
Time to move on in the game world. You have the memories.

Hailto
07-14-2016, 06:09 PM
RIP

Kevris
07-14-2016, 06:25 PM
You'll be back.

I haven't logged in for months, but I know I'll be back.

This isn't a game; it's herpes. It goes away for a while, but likes to flare up right as you've started dating a new woman.

R Flair
07-14-2016, 09:37 PM
There need to be new servers, plain and simple.

The problem I run into every time I log in to p99 is every player being twinked to the tits. The game doesn't feel like its supposed to. Everything is too common, the economy is completely borked, and there are way too many high level players. It just doesn't feel classic at all anymore. The sense of challenge and accomplishment that is the staple of classic EQ is gone.

They should keep the policy of never wiping the server, but there needs to be a persistent blue and red server. Then launch at least 1 blue and red server that rotates through the expansions and then transfers all characters to the persistent server and starts again anew.

This would fix p99.

Shrubwise
07-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Eq sux

Sent from my Android

Hi Naez where ya been???

Hailto
07-14-2016, 10:22 PM

The problem I run into every time I log in to p99 is every player being twinked to the tits. The game doesn't feel like its supposed to. Everything is too common, the economy is completely borked, and there are way too many high level players. It just doesn't feel classic at all anymore. The sense of challenge and accomplishment that is the staple of classic EQ is gone.

They should keep the policy of never wiping the server, but there needs to be a persistent blue and red server. Then launch at least 1 blue and red server that rotates through the expansions and then transfers all characters to the persistent server and starts again anew.

This would fix p99.

100% agree with this

Daywolf
07-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Agreed. I'd really like to be seeing that proposed new blue progression server being launched right now/this summer. That'd be epic.

Make it so!
http://i.imgur.com/l4Ex7mD.png
oh wait... wrong pic

Cecily
07-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Hi Kal. Nice to see you around. Hope you're doing well. Come join Rustle. We're casual, but pretty much anything we go after dies. Could always use another good shaman. Or... embrace your newfound contempt of this horrible game and enjoy your life before it sucks you in again.

R Flair
07-14-2016, 11:52 PM
Game simply wasn't designed to exist in a static state for as long as it has. 5 years of Kunark or whatever took its toll.

The game was meant to be hard. Every time I create a new character I have to actively turn people away from giving me shit when they see me rocking cured silk and the like. Still, finding 5 other people to group with that are militant about playing the game without external help seems to be all but impossible.

MMOs should 100% have a persistent world, but to successfully accomplish that there must be systems in effect to combat mudflation and keep the economy healthy. Those systems largely did not exist in classic EQ.

Ahldagor
07-14-2016, 11:57 PM
Game simply wasn't designed to exist in a static state for as long as it has. 5 years of Kunark or whatever took its toll.

The game was meant to be hard. Every time I create a new character I have to actively turn people away from giving me shit when they see me rocking cured silk and the like. Still, finding 5 other people to group with that are militant about playing the game without external help seems to be all but impossible.

MMOs should 100% have a persistent world, but to successfully accomplish that there must be systems in effect to combat mudflation and keep the economy healthy. Those systems largely did not exist in classic EQ.

New server with Kunark and Velious in place and 50% exp?

R Flair
07-15-2016, 12:03 AM
New server with Kunark and Velious in place and 50% exp?

I think it should start without any expansions. Pure vanilla, classic xp rates. New server should last 1.5-2 years, in three phases > vanilla > kunark > Velious > transfer character's to persistent server, start over again.

People can still have their ssdd p99 experience on the persistent server, but the true classic experience will be on the new servers following a proper EQ timeline.

SyanideGas
07-15-2016, 12:29 AM

This would fix p99.
I like this idea too. Would love a new blue server to start fresh on

Daywolf
07-15-2016, 12:32 AM
New server should last 1.5-2 years
meh too quick. They even mentioned considering a slow progression for it. For some, summer off from school and 12hr+ days in EQ are long over. Should be enough time to level a couple characters at a casual speed. Even 1.5 someone with time to kill might struggle just gearing one char with the best. Agreed though, starting from the old world, no doubt. imo best part of the game.

R Flair
07-15-2016, 01:00 AM
meh too quick. They even mentioned considering a slow progression for it. For some, summer off from school and 12hr+ days in EQ are long over. Should be enough time to level a couple characters at a casual speed. Even 1.5 someone with time to kill might struggle just gearing one char with the best. Agreed though, starting from the old world, no doubt. imo best part of the game.

Ya 2 years might be about right, but no longer. I mean the time between live launch when people knew absolutely nothing and the end of velious was only 2.5 years.

Brontus
07-15-2016, 01:41 AM

I agree with both of your excellent posts. Project 1999 is only classic EQ in appearance and mechanics. The level of twinkage going has completely ruined P1999. P1999 is not hard at all given the mudflation has plagued this server.

With no expansions in sight, this will continue to get worse and worse. The gods have indeed gone silent.

For example in Highpass Keep the goblin area used to be at least 3 separate camps. Now it's one big camp. This is because players are overpowered due to their gear.

Most named are perma farmed 24/7. They may as well call EC tunnel the Farmer's Market because in truth that's what it is. We farm so you don't have to (tm).

Powerleveling is a big problem too with bards swarm kiting in almost every zone.

Another problem is that these days due to the min/maxing philosophy players are smart and choose the path of least resistance. Many normal experience zones are ignored and others with inflated ZEMs are preferred such as Mistmoore, City of Mist and Karnor's. The only place you get get a group is in these zones which compounds the problem and creates a sense of boredom and predictability when you roll alts and experience the same old content over and over again.

Many dungeons such as Cazic Thule and Runnyeye are ignored due to bad loot tables, terrible mob pathing issues and just horrid design.

Other dungeons are ignored due to the fact that it's very hard to get there thanks to a lack of ports. Many of the dungeons in Kunark have this problem. For example there are 2 dungeons in the Field of Bone that are impossible to get to for non-iksar players because there are no druid or wizard ports available nearby.

Even worse, Iksar don't even have a porting class so they can't even leave the continent of Kunark legitimately. Again, just more evidence of terrible design.

I've been playing P1999 for about 10 months and it's starting to wear thin too. I'm noticing a revolving door effect in the playerbase. Friends that used to play no longer play anymore.

I'm starting to wonder why I keep playing. I had the same feeling about 3 years into EQ as well. With no expansions left to look forward too, and I'm not even near the level cap, I'm sensing the end of my P1999 career is drawing nearer.

big_ole_jpn
07-15-2016, 01:45 AM
I agree with both of your excellent posts. Project 1999 is only classic EQ in appearance and mechanics. The level of twinkage going has completely ruined P1999. P1999 is not hard at all given the mudflation has plagued this server.

With no expansions in sight, this will continue to get worse and worse. The gods have indeed gone silent.

For example in Highpass Keep the goblin area used to be at least 3 separate camps. Now it's one big camp. This is because players are overpowered due to their gear.

Most named are perma farmed 24/7. They may as well call EC tunnel the Farmer's Market because in truth that's what it is. We farm so you don't have to (tm).

Powerleveling is a big problem too with bards swarm kiting in almost every zone.

Another problem is that these days due to the min/maxing philosophy players are smart and choose the path of least resistance. Many normal experience zones are ignored and others with inflated ZEMs are preferred such as Mistmoore, City of Mist and Karnor's. The only place you get get a group is in these zones which compounds the problem and creates a sense of boredom and predictability when you roll alts and experience the same old content over and over again.

Many dungeons such as Cazic Thule and Runnyeye are ignored due to bad loot tables, terrible mob pathing issues and just horrid design.

Other dungeons are ignored due to the fact that it's very hard to get there thanks to a lack of ports. Many of the dungeons in Kunark have this problem. For example there are 2 dungeons in the Field of Bone that are impossible to get to for non-iksar players because there are no druid or wizard ports available nearby.

Even worse, Iksar don't even have a porting class so they can't even leave the continent of Kunark legitimately. Again, just more evidence of terrible design.

I've been playing P1999 for about 10 months and it's starting to wear thin too. I'm noticing a revolving door effect in the playerbase. Friends that used to play no longer play anymore.

I'm starting to wonder why I keep playing. I had the same feeling about 3 years into EQ as well. With no expansions left to look forward too, and I'm not even near the level cap, I'm sensing the end of my P1999 career is drawing nearer.

did not read

Daywolf
07-15-2016, 02:01 AM
Ya 2 years might be about right, but no longer. I mean the time between live launch when people knew absolutely nothing and the end of velious was only 2.5 years.
So you would want it to be even more time demanding/faster than live was? Sorry, I don't think there are as many hard-core (time-wise) players as you might think. A few years at least. And that's likely what they will be doing from what was mentioned, if they do anything. Sure people know the grind paths better, but really doesn't change much, apart from hard-core raiding for those racing to the cap etc. Most aren't that.

R Flair
07-15-2016, 02:03 AM

It is a revolving door, and this would bring much of that to an end.

I love EQ. In its pure form, there isn't another game that can even approach it. The perfect pairing of challenge overcome thru coop play, addictive progression and gameplay, offerings for both casuals and hardcores, but the entire house of cards tumbles when the process is trivialized.

People won't play EQ forever, but if P99 can at least preserve the above it will not only keep players here longer, but it will draw more players to a better, more true to form emulation.

Jauna
07-15-2016, 02:05 AM
I'm starting to wonder why I keep playing.

Having something to come back too makes it harder to stay away. Ive quit EQ so many times but always came back, then one year around the Underfoot xpac I just up and deleted my characters, never been back since.

I tried quitting WoW multiple times, and in the middle of WoD when shit got real bad I just up and deleted those characters as well, never been back or had the urge to go back since.

I bet if you had nothing to come back to on P99 you might think twice about busting out the thumb drive again.

The last thing that kinda cemented the whole "burn it all and never look back" was SWGEmu, that server wipe they had a few years back, pre-cities and level 2 and 3 harvestors.. whew holy shit I was sucked into SWGEmu with a doctor/rifleman twi'lek and a carbineer/bounty hunter wookie two boxing I was having a fucking blast just wrecking shit and moving around and making soooo many alts afterwards.

Then the server wipe happened to apply a huge patch.. never could get back into it again.

Hailto
07-15-2016, 02:07 AM
It is a revolving door, and this would bring much of that to an end.

I love EQ. In its pure form, there isn't another game that can even approach it. The perfect pairing of challenge overcome thru coop play, addictive progression and gameplay, offerings for both casuals and hardcores, but the entire house of cards tumbles when the process is trivialized.

People won't play EQ forever, but if P99 can at least preserve the above it will not only keep players here longer, but it will draw more players to a better, more true to form emulation.

I dunno, I'm betting people are going to play EQ until the generation that grew up with it dies out. I'm betting 30 years from now there will still be 100 or so people poopsockin dragons in one form or another on classic EQ.

R Flair
07-15-2016, 02:10 AM
So you would want it to be even more time demanding/faster than live was? Sorry, I don't think there are as many hard-core (time-wise) players as you might think. A few years at least. And that's likely what they will be doing from what was mentioned, if they do anything. Sure people know the grind paths better, but really doesn't change much, apart from hard-core raiding for those racing to the cap etc. Most aren't that.

Did you play on either of these servers when they launched? Hundreds of people were max level in just a couple months. Even playing extremely casually, it doesn't take 9 months to hit level 50 with the greater knowledge and player skill that exists today.

I don't think it would be wise to expect a 20 year old emulated EQ server to sit in the same content for an extended period of time. People who want that experience could choose to play on the persistent server.

Alternatively, they could offer a server with a slower and one with an accelerated timeline. I personally believe they could easily draw 1k+ on both.

R Flair
07-15-2016, 02:13 AM
Having something to come back too makes it harder to stay away. Ive quit EQ so many times but always came back, then one year around the Underfoot xpac I just up and deleted my characters, never been back since.

I tried quitting WoW multiple times, and in the middle of WoD when shit got real bad I just up and deleted those characters as well, never been back or had the urge to go back since.

I bet if you had nothing to come back to on P99 you might think twice about busting out the thumb drive again.

This has nothing to do with my desire to play EQ. In fact, I think its worse for me when I have nothing. That journey from zero to hero is what I live for. Nothing is more compelling about EQ to me than the struggle to level and gear up.

Daywolf
07-15-2016, 02:23 AM
Did you play on either of these servers when they launched? Hundreds of people were max level in just a couple months. Even playing extremely casually, it doesn't take 9 months to hit level 50 with the greater knowledge and player skill that exists today.

I don't think it would be wise to expect a 20 year old emulated EQ server to sit in the same content for an extended period of time. People who want that experience could choose to play on the persistent server.

Alternatively, they could offer a server with a slower and one with an accelerated timeline. I personally believe they could easily draw 1k+ on both.

Oh wait, I remember you, weren't you like 15-16 years old? Excuse me if I'm mistaken, somewhere around there. Yeah the hard-core-time demand can be brutal on most adults. I remember early EQ during the summers (I still miss that original client :D ), was just so flooded with teens like 24/7. Then when school was back in session, they all about vanished, way more vanished than the adults hehe.

Anyway, doesn't matter what you or I want, it's more what staff wants. And from what was said in forums a couple years back, it'll likely be a slower progression if not standard. I totally agree with them on that.

R Flair
07-15-2016, 03:21 AM
Oh wait, I remember you, weren't you like 15-16 years old? Excuse me if I'm mistaken, somewhere around there. Yeah the hard-core-time demand can be brutal on most adults. I remember early EQ during the summers (I still miss that original client :D ), was just so flooded with teens like 24/7. Then when school was back in session, they all about vanished, way more vanished than the adults hehe.

Anyway, doesn't matter what you or I want, it's more what staff wants. And from what was said in forums a couple years back, it'll likely be a slower progression if not standard. I totally agree with them on that.
No, I'm in my mid 30s. I'm more than aware of what it takes to level up a character while dealing with RL.

EQ isn't the hardcore's only game many people like to portray it as, but it isn't one for super casuals either. I don't care how old people are, if they enjoy something they make time for it. Even if I haven't been able to play as often as I'd like due to family, career or continued education, I've still been able to play numerous characters up to max over the years. The catering to casuals plea is exactly what has royally fucked this genre in the first place.

You're right tho. Doesn't matter what we want and considering the history of this project, I don't see good decisions like these being made in the future.

Trollhide
07-15-2016, 03:38 AM
When's the last time devs weighed in on potential for a reboot server?

krazyGlue
07-15-2016, 03:44 AM
And it makes me sad. Have any of you experienced and beaten this illness? How do I enjoy the nostalgia again when it isn't fun anymore. Pls help.

Join red

Trollhide
07-15-2016, 03:47 AM
Join shut down red

Daywolf
07-15-2016, 08:47 AM
The catering to casuals plea is exactly what has royally fucked this genre in the first place.
naaah there's no .. or few at least .. casuals here. The game is still considered hard-core, or at least core. There is just no appeal to casuals here, that's for the new and improved live servers, and I hear people play f2p there now, which is "casual".

Here, it's just core and some hard-core players, though not many of those me thinks. Core players are the type that just play normally, but stick with a game for a long time, years even. Might have other games to play too, but they're all different.
Casuals are like nomads, have a bunch of other look-alike games (especially WoW clones) and bounce around, some spending tons of cash in cash shops which drives devs/publishers to make more such games. They might play three different games in an evening, or even all at once. I blame mostly WoW for bringing in those players to the genre, expecting all games to conform to their own desires.

Oh yeah and my mistake on the age. You've never posted in the starting zone forum, which is where I thought you posted that info. Had to have been someone else I guess, which was like 6 to 9 months ago, so... hah kids I don't think even get summer vacation like they use to get.

Izmael
07-15-2016, 08:51 AM
I lost the desire to play in 2002 and only gained it back in 2014. It can take a while.

R Flair
07-15-2016, 09:13 AM
naaah there's no .. or few at least .. casuals here. The game is still considered hard-core, or at least core. There is just no appeal to casuals here, that's for the new and improved live servers, and I hear people play f2p there now, which is "casual".

Here, it's just core and some hard-core players, though not many of those me thinks. Core players are the type that just play normally, but stick with a game for a long time, years even. Might have other games to play too, but they're all different.
Casuals are like nomads, have a bunch of other look-alike games (especially WoW clones) and bounce around, some spending tons of cash in cash shops which drives devs/publishers to make more such games. They might play three different games in an evening, or even all at once. I blame mostly WoW for bringing in those players to the genre.

Oh yeah and my mistake on the age. You've never posted in the starting zone forum, which is where I thought you posted that info. Had to have been someone else I guess, which was like 6 to 9 months ago, so... hah kids I don't think even get summer vacation like they use to get.

I'm not saying there are casuals here, but dragging out a server provides that same form of accessibility.

The thing you have to remember about EQ is that it wasn't designed for everyone to accomplish everything. Thats something P99 really made possible. The exclusivity factor was a big part of what made EQ so addictive and largely what a new server with a proper timeline would offer. There is a balance somewhere in the middle but after a certain point, mudflation kicks in and the entire progression system and item rarity begins to break down rendering your accomplishments of little value.

That is the state of affairs for P99 in 2016.

maskedmelon
07-15-2016, 09:25 AM
You don't accomplish anything in Norrath. That's why it isn't fun for you. I just play to experience the world. As long as there are players, there are new experiences and it remains fun ^^

Daywolf
07-15-2016, 09:37 AM
I'm not saying there are casuals here, but dragging out a server provides that same form of accessibility.

The thing you have to remember about EQ is that it wasn't designed for everyone to accomplish everything. Thats something P99 really made possible. The exclusivity factor was a big part of what made EQ so addictive and largely what a new server with a proper timeline would offer. There is a balance somewhere in the middle but after a certain point, mudflation kicks in and the entire progression system and item rarity begins to break down rendering your accomplishments of little value.

That is the state of affairs for P99 in 2016.
Not me that's for sure. Just working trades alone can take a freakin lifetime if you are gathering all of your own ingredients and crafting your own sub-components. Not to mention I don't even have EQ installed on either of my PC's right now! :eek: hah just wiped my drives a few weeks ago, right as the steam sale started which resulted in my obsessing over a new game I bought there and connected with. Hopefully find the time this weekend to dig deep into my big crammed full closet to find my CD set again.

Anyway that stuff always happens. Usually a result of expansions in vertical progression games. It still happens in horizontal progression, but usually not as severe and often mostly brought on by lackadaisical development (e.g. UO, EVE, GW2, SWG etc). EQ should have always had item damage, mostly the problem there.

R Flair
07-15-2016, 10:51 AM
You don't accomplish anything in Norrath. That's why it isn't fun for you. I just play to experience the world. As long as there are players, there are new experiences and it remains fun ^^

I can still have fun for those very same reasons, but I'm having fun despite those other issues.

To some degree, we make our own fun. Games should help facilitate that though. Doing everything ourselves, like acquiring new items (vs accepting handouts or purchasing from EC) or grinding trades (vs purchasing from EC) and collecting our own components (vs purchasing from EC) is almost manufacturing our own fun, because easier ways exist with the broken economy. You just have to choose not to use it, and we know thats a choice and it, on some level, effects the "fun factor" for most people (whether or not they're aware of it).

maskedmelon
07-15-2016, 11:07 AM
I can still have fun for those very same reasons, but I'm having fun despite those other issues.

To some degree, we make our own fun.

Absolutely ^^ I think most people get stuck in a rut chasing the carrot and lose sight of what fun is. Been in too many groups with drones watching netflix while grinding. Your no-twink philosophy helps with fun because it makes the game-provides carrots meaningful again. A shiny brass shield is pretty cool to get when you are using some store bought buckler ^^ Nothing wrong with playing the game that way.

Lojik
07-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Don't let the terrorists win...or is it the bloodthirsty police force? Or maybe the globalist liberal media? Well, whoever the hell is behind your apathy, don't let them win!

Daywolf
07-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Make EverQuest great again!

surron
07-15-2016, 01:09 PM
OP you need to try out red, honestly the only video games to get my adrenaline pumping is being rushed in starcraft and pvp'ing eq

big_ole_jpn
07-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Make EverQuest great again!

http://i.imgur.com/jJ7ejUp.png

Nihilist_santa
07-15-2016, 02:09 PM
OP you need to try out red, honestly the only video games to get my adrenaline pumping is being rushed in starcraft and pvp'ing eq

^This. Red isnt in the best place but not the worst either but it feels like a different game if you have never tried it.

JurisDictum
07-15-2016, 02:48 PM
I think the only big problem with this server is they want to remain locked at velious instead of luclin or pop. The expansion doesn't have enough content to keep people interested.

It improved things imo. No monopoly guild requiring two months of tracking to get in (kunark). But there is still a lack of content for those not in NToV. Luclin would segregate the server into two groups:

VT guild(s)

everything else (casual)

PoP would segregate things even further, so there could be multiple tiers of raid guilds.

much more appropriate for this playerbase than a velious locked server

Metalopolis
07-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Agreed. I'd really like to be seeing that proposed new blue progression server being launched right now/this summer. That'd be epic.

Purely conjecture, but I think the little "P99-DayBreak Deal" put a temporary nix on the release of any future servers.

Perhaps once the Phinigel Live server is out of Velious they'll open another server or something.....but I wouldn't count on it.

Sage Truthbearer
07-15-2016, 03:16 PM
I think it's more the fact that most of us already played this game from 1999-2003 and now on an emulator for years.

That shit is going to get stale.

JurisDictum
07-15-2016, 04:20 PM
I think it's more the fact that most of us already played this game from 1999-2003 and now on an emulator for years.

That shit is going to get stale.

That's the hard boring truth.

Otherwise you think id ever float the notion of Luclin/PoP on this server?

Its really the only way to get a good PoP or Luclin locked server. And while that too can get stale, it takes a long time and generally you only need a break to get back into it.

Lurikeen
07-15-2016, 05:42 PM

Could be low T.

Brontus
07-15-2016, 06:58 PM

Very well said!

Now if I create a new warrior today on P1999 blue and only acquire gear myself from mobs or via quests, I have no chance of getting a group as tank with a server population that is twinked out. I also will have no chance of properly fulfilling my role as tank with twinked group mates as they will have larger mana pools due to twinked out gear. They will draw too much agro that I can never successful taunt off. Also, my lack of gear would cause healers to expend far too much mana to keep me healed.

It's like going back in time and expecting an NFL player from the 1950's to play at the same level of expertise and physical conditioning of a modern NFL team in 2016.

Creating a great MMORPG is one thing. Continuing to manage a MMORPG and create a path of meaningful advancement for players is something entirely different. It's not easy.

The glacial gap between release in expansions in P1999 has further compounded the problem creating a situation where people reach the level cap and are forced to create more alts and even create more accounts which erodes the authenticity of the classic EQ experience.

EverQuest in it's classic and pristine form is the finest MMORPG in existence bar none. SOE got intro trouble along the way with conflicting design which created a lack of cohesion as they released further expansions. Add into the mix that no expansions will be forthcoming after Velious in P1999 and you have a big problem.

I am really hoping that the admins will someday engage the P1999 community in a productive and constructive dialogue about the future of these servers.

big_ole_jpn
07-15-2016, 09:58 PM
Very well said!

Now if I create a new warrior today on P1999 blue and only acquire gear myself from mobs or via quests, I have no chance of getting a group as tank with a server population that is twinked out. I also will have no chance of properly fulfilling my role as tank with twinked group mates as they will have larger mana pools due to twinked out gear. They will draw too much agro that I can never successful taunt off. Also, my lack of gear would cause healers to expend far too much mana to keep me healed.

It's like going back in time and expecting an NFL player from the 1950's to play at the same level of expertise and physical conditioning of a modern NFL team in 2016.

Creating a great MMORPG is one thing. Continuing to manage a MMORPG and create a path of meaningful advancement for players is something entirely different. It's not easy.

The glacial gap between release in expansions in P1999 has further compounded the problem creating a situation where people reach the level cap and are forced to create more alts and even create more accounts which erodes the authenticity of the classic EQ experience.

EverQuest in it's classic and pristine form is the finest MMORPG in existence bar none. SOE got intro trouble along the way with conflicting design which created a lack of cohesion as they released further expansions. Add into the mix that no expansions will be forthcoming after Velious in P1999 and you have a big problem.

I am really hoping that the admins will someday engage the P1999 community in a productive and constructive dialogue about the future of these servers.

really embarrassing

Cecily
07-15-2016, 10:34 PM
really embarrassing

Right? Why don't you regale us with another story about anal sex?

big_ole_jpn
07-15-2016, 11:16 PM

I can't even recall what you're mad about. Would say that constitutes a resounding rustle success.

Daywolf
07-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Purely conjecture, but I think the little "P99-DayBreak Deal" put a temporary nix on the release of any future servers.

Perhaps once the Phinigel Live server is out of Velious they'll open another server or something.....but I wouldn't count on it.That did change, but I think there was a archived live stream where they were still talking about it since then.
I can't even recall what you're mad about. Would say that constitutes a resounding rustle success.Oh maybe that long story earlier this year, other account, not that I care.

big_ole_jpn
07-15-2016, 11:35 PM
Oh maybe that long story earlier this year, other account, not that I care.

Still no idea. Glad to know I'm making an impact yall.

maskedmelon
07-15-2016, 11:52 PM
I Have no memory of such a story : / Must have been outside of OT in one of the lands beyond my domain.

Pokesan
07-15-2016, 11:57 PM

this but sincerely

stormlord
07-16-2016, 02:09 AM
I gbot a desire to paly p1999 but I won't. Please don't try to change me. You wouldn't understand. I an just a watcher. Faceless. In the crowd. I'm everybody now. Yet I'm nobody. I'm nowhere. Goodbye. Especially you, Qeynos.

Daywolf
07-16-2016, 03:04 AM
Still no idea. Glad to know I'm making an impact yall.
I'll redact that. I searched, can't pull it up. It was earlier this year, a long-long post about an old life story, a party at a bar, meeting new people, something like that. Maybe it got mod deleted or maybe it was someone else, my usually great interpersonal long term memory has been a little frazzled lately from family squabble BS to the IQ breaking degree :p

So my new edit is:
http://i.imgur.com/Cq9A3HF.png
@Cecily

gawd the pathetic libtards in my family, white trash lvl, deep entitlement mentalities.

Brontus
07-16-2016, 06:13 PM
really embarrassing

This is the second time you have quoted my posts on this thread with sophomoric insults and cheap quips. I can only assume you are a sad little troll with nothing better to do then take pot shots at people but lack the intellectual capability and personal decency to contribute a cogent and reasonable response.

Please keep on posting and showing the P1999 what an ignorant and foolish person you are. Thankfully we have an ignore feature here and I won't ever have to read your inane vapid babble again.

Cecily
07-17-2016, 05:21 PM
gawd the pathetic libtards in my family, white trash lvl, deep entitlement mentalities.

Not sure how that's connected, but did you seriously ask me what I'm talking about? No one ever knows what you're rambling about. And that goes for japan too. Either it's an inane comment, really long pseudo intellectual rant that I can't follow usually due to the lack of cohesion of thought, or hi look at me I'm literally gay as fuck. The last type I'm making fun of and are the only ones I really pay attention to, so it seems to me that's all he posts about. That honestly isn't the case in reality. Butt it's a trend:

better to be HIV+ sucking dick for rock than fat

at least the former can hide their shame

Big dicks big bills big Japan really sums up my day to day when ya think about it

Usually prefer to top my MTF pal but sometimes u just gotta ride cowgirl #AboveIt

big_ole_jpn
07-17-2016, 05:42 PM
This is the second time you have quoted my posts on this thread with sophomoric insults and cheap quips. I can only assume you are a sad little troll with nothing better to do then take pot shots at people but lack the intellectual capability and personal decency to contribute a cogent and reasonable response.

Please keep on posting and showing the P1999 what an ignorant and foolish person you are. Thankfully we have an ignore feature here and I won't ever have to read your inane vapid babble again.

Not sure how that's connected, but did you seriously ask me what I'm talking about? No one ever knows what you're rambling about. And that goes for japan too. Either it's an inane comment, really long pseudo intellectual rant that I can't follow usually due to the lack of cohesion of thought, or hi look at me I'm literally gay as fuck. The latter I'm making fun of and are the only ones I really pay attention to, so it seems to me that's all he posts about. That honestly isn't the case in reality. Butt it's a trend:

it's spelled "insane"

Ahldagor
07-17-2016, 06:18 PM
it's spelled "insane"

Pathetic.

Pokesan
07-17-2016, 07:50 PM
can't believe how butthurt you are about big j's hilarious hijinks

the man is a treasure

Ahldagor
07-17-2016, 08:42 PM
He can do better. He's given better. Measley spelling post is beneath him.

maskedmelon
07-17-2016, 08:43 PM
can't believe how butthurt you are about big j's hilarious hijinks

the man is a treasure

Daywolf
07-17-2016, 08:48 PM
Not sure how that's connected, but did you seriously ask me what I'm talking about? No one ever knows what you're rambling about. And that goes for japan too. Either it's an inane comment, really long pseudo intellectual rant that I can't follow usually due to the lack of cohesion of thought, or hi look at me I'm literally gay as fuck. The last type I'm making fun of and are the only ones I really pay attention to, so it seems to me that's all he posts about. That honestly isn't the case in reality. Butt it's a trend:
You should try reading my whole post in context, which is probably how you got the comment on big about the anal thing, by not actually reading, my guess. But rather than just linking/quoting that post you dug that up from, that I too searched 30 minutes for, you rather just attack me. hmmm... I don't dig slander, if this is such an instance, if you have some dirt post to dig up about bigj to call him out on, that you were commenting on here to run him down, maybe you should just link it.

You know, some forums, not this one, but some forums have rules that you cant call someone out like that from old posts w/o linking the original post. A rather wise rule at times.

big_ole_jpn
07-17-2016, 09:10 PM
He can do better. He's given better. Measley spelling post is beneath him.

measly*

Cecily
07-17-2016, 09:51 PM
You know inane is a word, right?

Pokesan
07-17-2016, 09:56 PM
You know inane is a word, right?

holy shit we got a real spelling bee champion on our hands!!

Ahldagor
07-17-2016, 10:42 PM
measly*

I weep, why, why.......

Tecmos Deception
07-17-2016, 11:01 PM
3) come back and twink an alt

Playing an alt from scratch is probably a better way to get back into P99 if you've lost the urge to play anything you have already. No twinking, no PLing, don't even use your normal friends list or guild.

Playing truly from scratch means you end up in zones that wouldn't be "worth it" if you were twinked or playing with help. You'll do quests for items, you'll camp items, you'll be surprised at how many people are on p99 who are basically true newbies, you'll see how good the community on the server overall is, etc.

Lune
07-17-2016, 11:14 PM
I've given away everything I had twice and started over completely. I think that helped quite a bit with keeping my interest, especially considering I don't really like raiding but love the leveling experience 1-60. I kinda like high lvl grouping in Seb and stuff too but get burned out on that quickly.

I also played a roleplay character one time and that was fun

Don't have the heart to start over from nothing again though, unless it were on a new server.

Cecily
07-18-2016, 12:09 AM
gratz cecily!?... ?

http://i.imgur.com/S7qepFV.jpg

big_ole_jpn
07-18-2016, 12:27 AM
last few pages of this thread are perhaps my greatest forum achievement

Lune
07-18-2016, 12:31 AM
Big J is creative and sharp thinker and poster, the trolling is a bit much but the forum would be boring without people being asshats to each other. A true scholar and purveyor of the finest informations

phacemeltar
07-18-2016, 03:10 AM
ironic that a post made by a new player complaining about how the server sucks, gets flooded by the types that make the server a sucky place.
some people think everquest is a social club where showing off your pixels equates to real-life cool factor. though i dont personally mind this perspective, i can see how frustrating it must be for a new (or even casual) player. post-20s is no place for a casual player without some farming, purchased gear is expected.. not to mention handed out very liberally by members of the immense raid-scene.

laying waste to crushbone in seb gear might be fun and pleasing to the nostalgia-seekers but for those looking for a classic approach, i can see how the current state of the community could be a turn-off.

big_ole_jpn
07-18-2016, 03:19 AM
ironic that a post made by a new player complaining about how the server sucks, gets flooded by the types that make the server a sucky place.
some people think everquest is a social club where showing off your pixels equates to real-life cool factor. though i dont personally mind this perspective, i can see how frustrating it must be for a new (or even casual) player. post-20s is no place for a casual player without some farming, purchased gear is expected.. not to mention handed out very liberally by members of the immense raid-scene.

laying waste to crushbone in seb gear might be fun and pleasing to the nostalgia-seekers but for those looking for a classic approach, i can see how the current state of the community could be a turn-off.

not my fault the homie forum game so good it got me 3 fungis and a donals bp

havent been a pixelnerd since live, never had a 60 here, but i love my nerds & they show me love 2 cause of what i bring to this community

Daywolf
07-18-2016, 03:27 AM
What's wrong with CB?
bah to camping tunnel.
Maybe just don't try so hard, have fun in the moment?
btw phacemeltar is well leveled in forumquest ;)
...don't let him fool ya there :D

phacemeltar
07-18-2016, 03:28 AM
the server needs a more populated lowbie community. yea twinking gets xp faster, but that means the low levels will get bypassed quickly.
to me those are the best levels of the game, and the experience on that end is what makes for a skillful endgame. thats any game, though

big_ole_jpn
07-18-2016, 03:42 AM
the server needs a more populated lowbie community.
dood i live at lowbie exclusively and it's just as overcrowded as karnors. This server is well past the point where overcrowding of zones limits population growth.

maskedmelon
07-18-2016, 08:14 AM

Very well-reasoned. Unfortunately P99 does not embrace multiculturalism. New players can embrace classic or gtfo.

What thread are we talking about though?

Daywolf
07-18-2016, 10:23 AM
What game are you talking about though?
ftfy :D

I spend a lot of my time in the fay. I just don't see what he's talking about, hardly at all outside of MM. There are better places to twink, while places like gfay or cb are usually busy with half nekid chars. I know this because I often dump gear and buffs on players around these zones, bark at them and inspect their gear before I lift my leg and pee on them. Maybe you're talkin about WoW?

Tecmos Deception
07-18-2016, 12:08 PM

I don't buy this.

Someone new to P99 is probably a total EQ noob. They won't spend their time being jealous that they don't have a fungi tunic, cause they won't even know wtf it is. They won't spend their time wondering who snuck those couple orcs out of their camp in CB cause they don't even know their way around the zone. They will be busy enough trying to figure out all the old, goofy mechanics and exploring places they haven't seen and coping with all that to be butthurt about twinks or PLers.

And someone coming to P99 to casually revisit classic EQ and relive the nostalgic glory days? Well if that's what they are here for, they'll just /boggle when they see people twinked with hundreds of thousands of plat and /boggle at people doing crazy stuff that wasn't common back in the day, etc. Then they'll keep playing casually and having fun doing it.

Also, the game is not full of mega twinks. You people who go on and on about it must not have played from scratch recently, because like 3/4 of the people you run into are poors. They are players in their teens using stuff that people handout in EC cause it's easier than trying to sell a 25gp weapon, killing dervs, wearing leather scraps or free banded, etc. They're people who freak out when you hit them with a clarity or something because it actually makes a huge difference for them cause they don't actually know every tiny little detail about EQ mechanics and the best spots to level. Etc. Most twinks are reasonable twinks... a caster with 195 int instead of 140, or a warrior with a couple weapons that proc early but only cost a couple k total, etc. People running around with 40% haste and fungi and velious droppable raid weapons are few and far between... and sometimes even when you do see one, they're up for grouping anyways, rather than stealing all yer mobs.

big_ole_jpn
07-18-2016, 05:05 PM
People running around with 40% haste and fungi and velious droppable raid weapons are few and far between... and sometimes even when you do see one, they're up for grouping anyways, rather than stealing all yer mobs.

These people don't even tend to be much of a threat due to the severe brain rot involved in farming this much pixel on p99. Had a fungi/cof/full gear rogue (limeaid) in my Unrest group the other day that totally refused to tank over my half nekkid warrior because she "does way more damage backstabbing". Would let me tank 50% of the mob's HP before engaging so her epic wouldn't steal agro, then sit there for 5 mins waiting for me to regen my HP while her fungi regen was totally unutilized.

Much like on live, the really big nerds on this server tend to have issues that severely impair their ability to function even within the game.

maskedmelon
07-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Good rogues know how to reach around when their prey leans forward to maximize their flexibility. Sorry you have to deal with subpar roguing J.

AzzarTheGod
07-18-2016, 05:50 PM
just checkin into this thread.

ive been busy hitting dunks internationally

R Flair
07-18-2016, 08:45 PM
I don't buy this.

Someone new to P99 is probably a total EQ noob. They won't spend their time being jealous that they don't have a fungi tunic, cause they won't even know wtf it is. They won't spend their time wondering who snuck those couple orcs out of their camp in CB cause they don't even know their way around the zone. They will be busy enough trying to figure out all the old, goofy mechanics and exploring places they haven't seen and coping with all that to be butthurt about twinks or PLers.

And someone coming to P99 to casually revisit classic EQ and relive the nostalgic glory days? Well if that's what they are here for, they'll just /boggle when they see people twinked with hundreds of thousands of plat and /boggle at people doing crazy stuff that wasn't common back in the day, etc. Then they'll keep playing casually and having fun doing it.

Also, the game is not full of mega twinks. You people who go on and on about it must not have played from scratch recently, because like 3/4 of the people you run into are poors. They are players in their teens using stuff that people handout in EC cause it's easier than trying to sell a 25gp weapon, killing dervs, wearing leather scraps or free banded, etc. They're people who freak out when you hit them with a clarity or something because it actually makes a huge difference for them cause they don't actually know every tiny little detail about EQ mechanics and the best spots to level. Etc. Most twinks are reasonable twinks... a caster with 195 int instead of 140, or a warrior with a couple weapons that proc early but only cost a couple k total, etc. People running around with 40% haste and fungi and velious droppable raid weapons are few and far between... and sometimes even when you do see one, they're up for grouping anyways, rather than stealing all yer mobs.

It doesn't matter if people understand it or not, the game is supposed to be harder and people will notice that when players are commonly massacring things by themselves that should require a group, that EQ on P99 is no longer that game.

Daywolf
07-18-2016, 10:35 PM
It doesn't matter if people understand it or not, the game is supposed to be harder and people will notice that when players are commonly massacring things by themselves that should require a group, that EQ on P99 is no longer that game.
hah I clicked on your post reply w/o reading the thread title or what you were quoting and for a moment while distractedly reading thought you were talking about all the mass killings as of late.

But I remember this on Live early on, maybe even more so. Then once the Bazaar was unleashed, it was even easier to do it. I do with alts, but mostly stuff I craft (e.g. fine plate), which isn't much of a twinkage, prolly a few k worth of gear in all. But back then, there was more camp competition, so twinking made a difference getting a group or even roaming soloish spots. Here, in most places, you can usually get a group, regardless.