PDA

View Full Version : No Man's Sky

Goobles
07-12-2016, 07:08 PM
This game looks really cool. Anyone else going to be playing it?

http://www.stuff.tv/game-reviews/no-mans-sky/review

big_ole_jpn
07-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Anyone else's heuristic automatically filter this out of long term memory and preclude clicking lank solely based on the game's title?

Goobles
07-12-2016, 09:11 PM
It's supposed to be like EVE but with graphics

Daywolf
07-12-2016, 09:48 PM
It's supposed to be like EVE but with graphics
Yeah, eventually I will. Right now my desktop has 4gb of memory, and this game I read is at a req of 8gb. I'm done upgrading my desktop, ain't worth it, going to be replacing it soon. I'm hardly even using my desktop apart from work related stuff, I've been gaming on my slower laptop, which is about as powerful enough to run Skyrim at lowish settings.

I like what it's about, looks good, though it has been fairly hyped as an everything game by it's following. Like, it's not like EVE ;) I've played EVE for years (emphasis on cov-ops and sub-cap combat), NMS looks a lot different in almost every way. Closest thing to EVE is the X3 series by Egosoft which is still a wonderful space sim.

But yeah might wait a bit, maybe six months or so and catch it on a steam sale. By then it will be better polished and deeper content.
<-- space sim fan for sure.

Goobles
07-12-2016, 11:18 PM
What I like about it is the dev team is pro-active. I'm super stoked to dive in.

Daywolf
07-13-2016, 12:05 AM
if the flight mechanics aren't on roller coaster rails like EVEs its already 420x a better game
That's not a rail shooter game, maybe you are thinking of that starwars mmo thing. EVE is highly maneuverable within reason, no game controller with a loopty loop button, no, but don't want. I remember Earth and Beyond had junk like that, but it was useless. If you jump into an Assault Frigate in EVE, it's all about maneuverability, a part of tactics. If you stick the maneuverability of an AF into a capital ship, you have a silly broken game. Big ships are slow and with terrible maneuverability in every good space sim.

Gruktar
07-13-2016, 03:36 AM
I am definitely looking forward to it.

I just wish it had more options geared towards multiplayer. The last I have heard, even if you and a friend try to head towards each other it may be impossible to meet up depending on your starting locations because of the vastness of the universe.

I would like it if it let you choose where you start on the outer rim of the galaxy so you can start close to friends/family/guild and do the journey together.

Baler
07-13-2016, 04:50 AM
I already play Elite Dangerous.
Waiting to see if Star citizen is going to be a piece of crap.

No room for No Mans Sky. They certainly have put a lot of money into marketing their game. Also nothing is like EVE other then EVE.

Daywolf
07-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Also nothing is like EVE other then EVE.
...apart from X3 (https://youtu.be/TJ7z1HVonUM) and Endless Sky (https://youtu.be/fg23Rxq1FCw) ;)
But not like clones, no, but "like", very much compared to other space sims. And they don't have the multiplayer component that drives EVE (https://youtu.be/5eAIQR01ZLw). There is even an EVE mod pack for X3 (https://youtu.be/MvU3C7pN_ig), for the ships.

Kevris
07-13-2016, 05:19 PM
I already play Elite Dangerous.

This.

If they ever get around to adding VR support, I'd try it. But at this point, I can never go back to a cockpit game that doesn't use VR. TrackIR was great, but since my DK2 showed up way back when, I haven't even been able to enjoy games on TrackIR.

Somebody with knowledge please mod IL2 1946 to work with in VR, please.

Kevris
07-13-2016, 05:22 PM
...apart from X3 (https://youtu.be/TJ7z1HVonUM) and Endless Sky (https://youtu.be/fg23Rxq1FCw) ;)
But not like clones, no, but "like", very much compared to other space sims. And they don't have the multiplayer component that drives EVE (https://youtu.be/5eAIQR01ZLw). There is even an EVE mod pack for X3 (https://youtu.be/MvU3C7pN_ig), for the ships.

Eh..I don't think you can compare anything to Eve. I love space sims; I've been playing them since 1991 or so (Jesus I feel old all of a sudden..) but I couldn't get in to Eve. "You mean I don't actually fly my ship...?"

Eve felt like an MMO with a space skin on it, not a space simulator. To be a proper space simulator, you have to support a joystick. And rudder pedals. And as of 2014, Virtual Reality.

Daywolf
07-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Eh..I don't think you can compare anything to Eve. I love space sims; I've been playing them since 1991 or so (Jesus I feel old all of a sudden..) but I couldn't get in to Eve. "You mean I don't actually fly my ship...?"

Eve felt like an MMO with a space skin on it, not a space simulator. To be a proper space simulator, you have to support a joystick. And rudder pedals. And as of 2014, Virtual Reality.
So Star Trek wouldn't be considered a space sim? They don't use joysticks ;)
I don't know about STO, never played it, had no playable klingon empire at launch, and I generally despise f2p's (sub is better) apart from open source or true free games with everything unlocked. But Star Trek was all buttons and pointing fingers in the general direction sort of stuff.

They initiated maneuvering control from a pretty much flat console, initiated by what seemed to be computer aided maneuvering patterns. Star Trek and EVE are strikingly similar. I haven't played EVE all year though, got fed up with CCP BS, especially false advertisement in their ads to get new players; they'd just like make stuff up not even in the game. I think my last post on their forums was something like they should fire their whole advertisement team :D

Nah, it's not in the controls, it's the universe mainly. Otherwise it'd just be a spaceship simulator or spaceship shooter. Space sim is broad, a living universe, be it RTS, 4X, space ship 3d sim, a mix of a lot of things, it's how it all functions together into this big oft times sandboxy/openworld setting. Been playing them since the 80's, such as with Starflight (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight) among other titles.

oh and as far as comparing to EVE, it's not just me. That's the buzz most places you look regarding the two games I listed, even in the EVE forum discussions especially with X3. It is, it's very similar, but not a clone. Now NMS looks very different, and that's a good thing.

Lune
07-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Anyone else's heuristic automatically filter this out of long term memory and preclude clicking lank solely based on the game's title?

My thoughts exactly, not sure what it is about it. Too try-hard indie and pretentious

Kevris
07-13-2016, 08:22 PM
So Star Trek wouldn't be considered a space sim? They don't use joysticks ;)
I don't know about STO, never played it, had no playable klingon empire at launch, and I generally despise f2p's apart from open source or true free games with everything unlocked. But Star Trek was all buttons and pointing fingers in the general direction sort of stuff.

They initiated maneuvering control from a pretty much flat console, initiated by what seemed to be computer aided maneuvering patterns. Star Trek and EVE are strikingly similar. I haven't played EVE all year though, got fed up with CCP BS, especially false advertisement in their ads to get new players; they'd just like make stuff up not even in the game. I think my last post on their forums was something like they should fire their whole advertisement team :D

Nah, it's not in the controls, it's the universe mainly. Otherwise it'd just be a spaceship simulator or spaceship shooter. Space sim is broad, a living universe, be it RTS, 4X, space ship 3d sim, a mix of a lot of things, it's how it all functions together into this big oft times sandboxy/openworld setting. Been playing them since the 80's, such as with Starflight (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starflight) among other titles.

oh and as far as comparing to EVE, it's not just me. That's the buzz most places you look regarding the two games I listed, even in the EVE forum discussions especially with X3. It is, it's very similar, but not a clone. Now NMS looks very different, and that's a good thing.

Not to get super-nerdy up in here, but: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Manual_steering_column

STO played a lot like the old Star Trek: Starfleet Command series. For a free game, it's actually not bad. The "story" missions are a good way to kill some time if you're bored, and for the most part you can play the game as a single-player game. Avoid the star base bars. Last time I walked into one of them, there were are large number of female avatars engaged in various stages of cyber sex. Comedic at first, traumatizing long term.

I can see an X comparison to Eve, but X is still at its heart a HOTAS-controlled WWII-in-space dogfighter. Even in the most pitched cap-ship heavy battles, I'd still leave the AI to fly my destroyers and carriers and take out a Mamba...I suddenly want to play X3/TC again....

I can't see an NMS comparison to Eve, though. It's like trying to compare 2001 to Star Wars; they're both in space, but share nothing in common.

Daywolf
07-13-2016, 08:31 PM
My thoughts exactly, not sure what it is about it. Too try-hard indie and pretentious
Oh I didn't even click the OP link. Here, best vid imo: No Man's Sky - All 5 Trailers (So Far)
(https://youtu.be/-h5vwfEaONg)
It's basically a big-big sandbox with a lot of different elements. Probably the most famed mechanic is the transition from space to planet which looks done VERY well, though not the first to do it. Like even recently, Space Engineers included it when they release planets into the game, though it's more realism style and no quick ways through the atmosphere ^^

Daywolf
07-13-2016, 08:46 PM
Not to get super-nerdy up in here, but: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Manual_steering_column

I can partially see an X comparison to Eve, but X is still at its heart a HOTAS-controlled WWII-in-space dogfighter. Even in the most pitched cap-ship heavy battles, I'd still leave the AI to fly my destroyers and carriers and take out a Mamba.

NMS is to Eve as Star Wars is to 2001.
I'm not a nerd, I'ma geek ;)
Geeks are technical/historic, nerds are comic books/fantasy.

You suggest EVE is outdated? Geez, it's probably one of the most beautiful modernized-updated space sims, maybe the best looking mmo in eye candy of all the mmo's out. Have you actually played it the past few years if at all? And not only does it look awesome, the game is over 10yrs of development with features and mechanics. NMS looks good, but there is no way it will have the sheer depth of EVE, even if it somehow match it's beauty ... which trailers say it doesn't, though different.

oh and btw, what you suggest with controls, that would kill EVE, make it unplayable. There are technical reasons EVE is the way it is, otherwise it wouldn't be a one shard mmo with 1000's of players in huge fleet battles (in same area).

Daywolf
07-13-2016, 10:53 PM
btw that's all 3rd gen ST, and still rarely seen. A shuttle in EVE is about the size of small cruiser in ST. https://youtu.be/bac6yvYzaVI

Sticks are for airplanes in space. Anything bigger would need to be by computer control, due to the large amount of thrusters and mass. EVE oversimplifies it if not for the narrative that capsuleers (player pilot characters) have a direct neuro connection to the ship.

After all, the EVE universe is set in the very distant future, cut off from Earth, civilization having crumbled and eventually risen again. Sticks are for little fighters and such, low mass, few thrusters, likely with atmospheric flight capabilities. Sticks are considered the minigame, something you access through Dust or Valkyrie, and as small ships that's where they do fit.

X3 can use sticks, but it can be very annoying when commanding large ships. Don't think this is the future? Look at todays self-driving cars. Yeah they are fail, but in time it will improve.

maskedmelon
07-13-2016, 11:00 PM

REALLY!? I've had it backwards all this time? Can we get confirmation of this assertion? I always thought it was the opposite.

Also Daywolf, given that you are here on an elf sim message board, I'd say you are both :p

barrettdc1
07-13-2016, 11:41 PM
Hopefully this game, somewhere down the line, includes an option to start with friends. This type of game seems like it would get old fast going it alone. I want to form a band of space pirates right off the bat or put together an explorers fleet with others. Game seems way too big for going it alone to be any fun.

Daywolf
07-14-2016, 12:23 AM
REALLY!? I've had it backwards all this time? Can we get confirmation of this assertion? I always thought it was the opposite.

Also Daywolf, given that you are here on an elf sim message board, I'd say you are both :p
Yeah geekdom is like technology, realism, history.
Sure EQ is fairly nerdy, but it's mixed, like Star Wars is mixed. Notice you said "sim" ;)
And that is true since EQ is set in an openworld, and that is one of the more appealing aspects of it to me. It gives me the ability to go off the beaten track and explore different ways of playing the game.

Anyway you've probably read definitions by nerds, they usually mention their love affair with superheroes hehe.
But anyway, geeks are usually technical, such as the often used term Computer Geek. A matter of detail and application of applied technology and science. But also old technology, nothing becomes totally irrelevant but a matter of application. That's why like that show Vikings is considered the #1 Geek show, due to it's historic technical accuracies, though sometimes falls short, but also it's social aspects in history. Geeks are also known for a decent level of social skills, even if obsessive regarding dry details at times. #LinuxVsLinux #Simulators #Exploration #WellDressed #Science #History

Nerds can be technical too, but often lead double lives ^^ e.g. progression themepark mmo programmer by day, wears a superhero cape and stands on roof tops by night. History is a construct, ever changing by time travelers from our future, usually wearing super villain capes lol. Technology and physics is always limitless, even in social settings where it can be proven by whipping out a cellphone and locating Pokemon characters running around in AR space. #WindowsVsPlaystation #ProgressionThemeparks #min/maxing #SuperHeroCapes #Science-Fiction-Fantasy #ComicBooks

:D

http://www.wired.com/2009/07/great-geek-debates-geek-vs-nerd/

Barkingturtle
07-14-2016, 12:28 AM
You sure you're not just a fucking dork?

Daywolf
07-14-2016, 01:15 AM
You sure you're not just a fucking dork?
hah nah. 10yrs in the field of robotics, paid job, can't be a dork and do that, then guitar/vocal gig on weekends with friends at social settings. Did your rifle come with a Brony holster?

Kevris
07-14-2016, 12:36 PM

You suggest EVE is outdated? Geez, it's probably one of the most beautiful modernized-updated space sims, maybe the best looking mmo in eye candy of all the mmo's out. Have you actually played it the past few years if at all? And not only does it look awesome, the game is over 10yrs of development with features and mechanics. NMS looks good, but there is no way it will have the sheer depth of EVE, even if it somehow match it's beauty ... which trailers say it doesn't, though different.

oh and btw, what you suggest with controls, that would kill EVE, make it unplayable. There are technical reasons EVE is the way it is, otherwise it wouldn't be a one shard mmo with 1000's of players in huge fleet battles (in same area).

Nah, never would I say it's outdated. It is certainly a good looking game, just too "dull" for my tastes. I like space planes, not space battleships. Eve Valkyrie is pretty fun though!

I think NMS is going for space planes rather than space battleships, hence my contention that the two, though set in space, do not compare well.

Daywolf
07-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Nah, never would I say it's outdated. It is certainly a good looking game, just too "dull" for my tastes. I like space planes, not space battleships. Eve Valkyrie is pretty fun though!

I think NMS is going for space planes rather than space battleships, hence my contention that the two, though set in space, do not compare well.
Sure, it's not for everyone, that's for sure. The battleships aren't bad, and really the frigates and cruisers sound more like your style as they are mine (well frigates and battleships are mine). It's just the capital ships that are imo boring as hell, and depending on the type of battleship you put together some of those are just as bad (you build your ships in EVE).

Frigates are fun though, though newbies usually try to skip training them and go straight to larger ships they can't even fly well for six months. But I was specialized in a bunch of frigs, put almost 2yrs of SP (skill points) into them, then a couple years into battleships while the rest into other things (some more years, modest cruiser skill etc.).

Thing is, like Assault Frigates and Stealth Bombers, those frigates to me are accelerating to pilot, an absolute rush. They have 100% of the zooming and dodging, and it's an art form to take an AF into close quarters battles (my fav is the Hawk (http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Hawk)) with multiple targets. There is just sooo much going on in those fights, there is no way you could micro-manage steering.

I hit the wall in X3, it too has a lot going on in large fights, and if I'm in a small/med fighter, it's a pain to micro-manage my course while dealing with 10+ targets, especially coming out of a gate on a assassination/bounty hunter mission. imo piloting and managing threats is a two man job even in a small fighter if there is some realism.

So like EVE has a lot of mitigation if you fly your ship properly, like angles and speed and signature radius and junk, it's the most complex I know of. There is a huge amount of calculation going on with the server in an EVE fight. What I see of NMS, there looks to be none of that at all. In fact it looks extremely casual as far as spaceship fights go. That's it's real downside it looks, but while exploration and planet transitions is definitely it's strong point. But as far as selling it on it's combat complexities, that's not there at all, straight up,, and even X3 looks to surpass it in that area.

So I wait until after release, maybe they will polish it up more. They probably will, I'm thinking a lot of die hard space sim vet players are going to raise a little stink about it. Combat is more my emphasis, I always choose combat pilot in these games (a little trading, no mining), but exploration can be nice but doesn't hold me as the meat and potatoes of a space sim.

You really like playing the combat pilot, X3:AP for sure, or EVE - though atm I'm put off by CCP, I may be done with it after years, but still fine for others, though it's not a game for everyone.

heyokah
07-15-2016, 08:25 AM
I'm gonna play it.

Kevris
07-15-2016, 12:19 PM
You really like playing the combat pilot, X3:AP for sure, or EVE - though atm I'm put off by CCP, I may be done with it after years, but still fine for others, though it's not a game for everyone.

Yeah, I have a lot of hours invested into reunion, TC and AP (majority of the time in TC, I didn't like some of the changes in AP), but now all of my time is occupied by Elite: Dangerous. For my tastes, it is the most perfect space sim ever released.

Goobles
08-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Launching this weekend. Who's ready?

Daywolf
08-09-2016, 09:07 AM
They going to patch it on release? Last I heard the content patch may be a couple days late.

Nope, my desktop's on the fritz. Haven't ran it all week, could be a mobo prob or the vid card, not sure yet. Was tempted to add more memory to run it, but not at this point I guess. My laptop wont run it, thats for sure. I picked up VoidExpanse on a steam sale this weekend, may just need to settle on that for now :)

Goobles
08-09-2016, 09:27 AM
It was scheduled to release last week and they pushed it back to this week. Leaked copies got a head start and supposedly made it to the center so they're expanding it and wiping the server

Per this article:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.usgamer.net/amp/no-mans-sky-and-understanding-the-day-one-patch?client=ms-android-att-us

Daywolf
08-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I have a lot of hours invested into reunion, TC and AP (majority of the time in TC, I didn't like some of the changes in AP), but now all of my time is occupied by Elite: Dangerous. For my tastes, it is the most perfect space sim ever released.
Hmmm missed this reply until mow. Yeah I'm split on tc vs ap. But ap has the whole terran war going on, I like that since I'm more of a combat pilot above anything else. The main thing that drives me crazy about tc though is that system which removes inactive stations.

Well in tc it hurts the most, since by the time you get to Aldrin, the factories to make weapons for the Spitfyre or Springblossom might not be there any longer. So when I wiped my laptop and reinstalled, with SSD room to spare for only one or the other, AP just so I can avoid bothering with Adrin all together :p

Yeah, they are getting aged, but still an advanced space sim with it's own way of doing things. I like the 4X/rts/fps style of play it does, with a living style galaxy always in motion.

Daywolf
08-09-2016, 10:06 AM
It was scheduled to release last week and they pushed it back to this week. Leaked copies got a head start and supposedly made it to the center so they're expanding it and wiping the server

Per this article:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.usgamer.net/amp/no-mans-sky-and-understanding-the-day-one-patch?client=ms-android-att-us
Yeah, they had to get the day one patch in, especially after what happened with the quick end-game vid release. Well end-game as some view it. Getting to the center is one of the selling points.

Spyder73
08-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Still not sure what to think about No Mans Sky

heyokah
08-09-2016, 11:17 AM

Phenyo
08-09-2016, 12:06 PM
An unfulfilling romp through seed planet #34 collecting minecraft ores that will leave you asking what is my motivation to continue. Interesting showcase of procedural tech, but a game? Accidental existential adventure in all the wrong ways.

Grimjaw
08-09-2016, 01:11 PM
sony? not touching this

khanable
08-09-2016, 01:18 PM
sony? not touching this

Naw it's by hello games

Sony just did all the marketing for console exclusive rights

It's an indie game with AAA levels of marketing and hype

It looks fun, I may give it a whirl

y'all can visit me on planet picklecock

big_ole_jpn
08-09-2016, 02:10 PM
if you fund it you are AIDS

khanable
08-09-2016, 02:55 PM
It's 2016, having AIDS is socially acceptable now

R Flair
08-09-2016, 03:40 PM
games is already funded. I don't think its transmittable if u buy at this point

Shrubwise
08-09-2016, 03:45 PM
I've watched a few videos on this game. From what I can tell, it's just a game about exploring? I know the vastness of the universe thing is supposed to be impressive but the game just doesn't sound interesting to me. I'll wait until its out for a few weeks and read the reviews on steam.

bdastomper58
08-09-2016, 08:46 PM
is this a multiplayer game?

Thulack
08-09-2016, 08:59 PM
is this a multiplayer game?

https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/10/no-mans-sky-players-defy-the-odds-to-meet-up-but-cant-see-each-other-at-all/

bdastomper58
08-09-2016, 09:50 PM
https://www.vg247.com/2016/08/10/no-mans-sky-players-defy-the-odds-to-meet-up-but-cant-see-each-other-at-all/

so you're telling me - another kickstarter game was a bunch of baloney? lol

R Flair
08-09-2016, 09:52 PM

Think its just an indie game. Don't think it was crowdfunded.

Thulack
08-10-2016, 08:14 AM

Wasnt a kickstarter and no one ever said you were going to be interacting with others. That was just people assuming too many things.

bdastomper58
08-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Wasnt a kickstarter and no one ever said you were going to be interacting with others. That was just people assuming too many things.

you sure about that chief?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A

Thulack
08-10-2016, 12:22 PM
you sure about that chief?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE0nuW-mQ8A
well he said in a post like 2 days before it released that you could be in the same area as someone and not see them. Not the first person to not tell truth about something.

big_ole_jpn
08-10-2016, 01:36 PM
games is already funded. I don't think its transmittable if u buy at this point

I was just using the word fund in its normal sense, not in the cuckstarter retard buzzword sense. Whether or not it's"fully funded", whatever that means, if you reward it with money you are garbage.

pathius41
08-12-2016, 01:23 AM
I was just using the word fund in its normal sense, not in the cuckstarter retard buzzword sense. Whether or not it's"fully funded", whatever that means, if you reward it with money you are garbage.

You seem like the type of guy who berates others because they like different music than you because you see yourself as so "edgy" and on the cusp of all that is "in" You know like Nickelback haters.

When in fact what IS cool, is being your own damn person and liking what YOU like and not giving a damn what others think of you.

big_ole_jpn
08-12-2016, 01:35 AM
You seem like the type of guy who berates others because they like different music than you because you see yourself as so "edgy" and on the cusp of all that is "in" You know like Nickelback haters.

When in fact what IS cool, is being your own damn person and liking what YOU like and not giving a damn what others think of you.

except nobody who is their own person likes Nickelback. getting suckered by its marketing campaign is the antithesis of not giving a damn about the opinions of others.

pathius41
08-12-2016, 03:47 AM
except nobody who is their own person likes Nickelback. getting suckered by its marketing campaign is the antithesis of not giving a damn about the opinions of others.

I am sure there are plenty of people who genuinely like Nickelback, I am not one, but everyone can like what ever they please. Liking them does not mean you were suckered into anything, you hear it on the radio and you like it or you don't it's that simple. I sure there are people who like Nickelback because of this so called marketing campaign but then again I am sure there are some people out there pretending to be edgy because they think it looks cool. JS

xKoopa
08-12-2016, 12:41 PM
Watched on twitch for a bit a couple times and it just looks extremely boring. Go to new planet, mine and build shit etc, repeat

Spyder73
08-12-2016, 12:55 PM
I am sure there are plenty of people who genuinely like Nickelback, I am not one, but everyone can like what ever they please. Liking them does not mean you were suckered into anything, you hear it on the radio and you like it or you don't it's that simple. I sure there are people who like Nickelback because of this so called marketing campaign but then again I am sure there are some people out there pretending to be edgy because they think it looks cool. JS

Can confirm that my mom loves Nickelback - on an ironic note, I was listening to Youtube while playing Diablo 3 last night and somehow the playlist morphed into a Nickelback session as youtube sometimes does when you let it go long enough....

Have to say not 100% terrible - While they have a catalogue of songs I hate, they also have a few really good ones... willl not lie, was singing along with Rockstar in my head as it played

big_ole_jpn
08-12-2016, 01:03 PM

I was giving people the benefit of the doubt by saying they must have been brainwashed into liking NB. If they reach the conclusion they like that with no outside meddling, there is no saving them. Your neoliberal dadaist bullshit about all art being 100% subjective and Nickelback equal to Mozart holds no sway with non-retards.

Not sure what edge I've displayed ITT. All I've got is a bitterness that the videogame market is flush with cash yet produces almost no decent content as a result of retarded consumers, a category which even most long-term players of EQEmu seem to fall into.

I wouldn't berate you for your shit taste on GameFAQs. I only do it here because I know you have the potential to be a better person than someone with an interest in No Man's Sky if you are capable of recognizing how market forces smothered EQ and then revived it as a twisted disgusting Frankenstein.

Jarnauga
08-12-2016, 05:48 PM
The game seems a little unfinished.. i mean the fact that you can't see another player has to be a bug, and yeah there's a lot of repetition

That said if they do it right, it can be an awesome platform to make a simpler EVE-like with building bases, big ships, etc.. with future updates

Gonna wait a bit to see how it will turn out

Kevris
08-12-2016, 07:16 PM
So I heard bad things about the PC version ...can anyone confirm?

Grimjaw
08-12-2016, 07:40 PM
ya sounds like the port to all CPU platforms on same day didnt go well. keyboard buttons arent even mapped correclty i hear (ex typing the asterisk key produces a hash)

Paleman
08-12-2016, 08:27 PM
boring as fuck game.

Play empyrion, its what no mans sky should be.

Not as good looking but you can build space bases, small land speeders, space ships of all sizes and bases in space. and of course you can kill eachother.

big_ole_jpn
08-12-2016, 08:28 PM
yikes didnt realize it was $60

get dunked lol

pathius41
08-13-2016, 01:16 AM
I was giving people the benefit of the doubt by saying they must have been brainwashed into liking NB. If they reach the conclusion they like that with no outside meddling, there is no saving them. Your neoliberal dadaist bullshit about all art being 100% subjective and Nickelback equal to Mozart holds no sway with non-retards.

Not sure what edge I've displayed ITT. All I've got is a bitterness that the videogame market is flush with cash yet produces almost no decent content as a result of retarded consumers, a category which even most long-term players of EQEmu seem to fall into.

I wouldn't berate you for your shit taste on GameFAQs. I only do it here because I know you have the potential to be a better person than someone with an interest in No Man's Sky if you are capable of recognizing how market forces smothered EQ and then revived it as a twisted disgusting Frankenstein.

First off art is 100% subjective that is a fact you can not argue with out sounding like a complete tool. all I see is you spitting your venom around based on your OPINION.

Second this market you talk about was the majority of players most of which were of the entitlement generation that wanted easy mode gimmee gimmee gimmee. the industry just gave them what they wanted in spades ( they want money, that's how you make money). You on the other hand are like the rest of us here, part of a niche market. unless everyone in our niche is willing to drop $400 a month for the game we want, we likely will never see it. Pantheon may be our saving grace but I will not hold my breath.

berating others because they don't have the same OPINION as you is the only retarded thing I've seen here.

Evia
08-13-2016, 01:40 AM

But we can all agree Nickleback is awful right? ;)

big_ole_jpn
08-13-2016, 02:24 AM
First off art is 100% subjective that is a fact you can not argue with out sounding like a complete tool.

http://i.imgur.com/ZMugbC0.png

Thanks for playing!

pathius41
08-13-2016, 03:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/ZMugbC0.png

Thanks for playing!

both are art, just because you prefer one over the other doesn't make one not art.

Thanks for playing, tool

pathius41
08-13-2016, 03:16 AM
But we can all agree Nickleback is awful right? ;)

style I like? no, are they awful? no not to me, I mean I can't sing or play an instrument near as good as they can. people jump on this hate bandwagon so easy these days it's sad. Apparently I can appreciate the artistry and skill it takes to make music or art with out having to like the item produced unlike most other people.

Shrubwise
08-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Back on topic fellas. So does this game suck or nah?

Cecily
08-13-2016, 09:43 PM
both are art, just because you prefer one over the other doesn't make one not art.

Thanks for playing, tool

No. That pipe was made by an obvious master of the craft. Top pic looks like some 9th grader's art project. I'm sure the kid got a good grade, but to call that art is just silly.

Ahldagor
08-14-2016, 12:04 AM

Thanks for playing, tool

Kitsch pipe and the Sistine Chapel are not comparable. False equivalency, 15 yard personal foul and loss of down.

bdastomper58
08-14-2016, 12:36 AM
cuck pipe. cucks like that piep. cuck. lol fug! :D

big_ole_jpn
08-14-2016, 02:32 AM
michael phelps smoked heady marijuana out of that pipe before he won the gold

-Dr. Mike Ultra

Evia
08-14-2016, 03:30 AM
style I like? no, are they awful? no not to me, I mean I can't sing or play an instrument near as good as they can. people jump on this hate bandwagon so easy these days it's sad. Apparently I can appreciate the artistry and skill it takes to make music or art with out having to like the item produced unlike most other people.

Art is totally subjective, and I can also appreciate artistry and skill even if I dislike it.

....except two bands. Nickleback and Simple Plan. Both come across as talentless and corporate. Designed to make money off of people who don't know any better and don't seek out quality music for themselves. From the lyrics, to the chord progressions, to the feelings they conjure, it's not authentic to me personally. It's a product created for mass appeal and $$$. I suppose you could still classify that as art though. I get it that some people love those bands and I respect the fact that they are entitled to their opinion, as am I. The thing is though that to me they're such an abomination to music that I can't help but speak my mind on how awful it is to me. I'm not trying to convince people or act 'edgy' because of it. I've just always been the kind of person that speaks my mind. Especially when it comes to things I'm passionate about (ie: music) but it bothers me not if you wanna sing along to 'Rockstar' and 'Welcome to my life' knock yourself out.

heyokah
08-14-2016, 11:00 AM
The storyline of the game is cool, especially if you;re one of them stoner people. Get to the center of the universe and find the meaning of consciousness or someshit. Gameplay is meh, and definately repetative. It's huge, like billions of planets huge. So dont expect to run into anybody even if there WAS multiplayer. I'll use a skyrim analogy. You could just stick to the main quest, and linearlly "beat" the game. What people enjoyed about skyrim was goin off the beaten path and just exploring and finding cool caves and shit. Same concept applies here, except for me personally it's just not as rewarding, aka enjoyable. Like i said tho, if you smoke alot of weed, your gonna like this game. It has an immersive dialogue style and the planets actually are very diverse. After 15-20 hours its a 4.5/10 for me. Not worth 60 bones atm. There are some bugs( especially on PC ) and there is no multiplayer yet, but supposedly coming. I recommend the game. Just wait till it's on Steam sale or cheaper on PSN.

Thulack
08-14-2016, 11:16 AM
The storyline of the game is cool, especially if you;re one of them stoner people. Get to the center of the universe and find the meaning of consciousness or someshit. Gameplay is meh, and definately repetative. It's huge, like billions of planets huge. So dont expect to run into anybody even if there WAS multiplayer. I'll use a skyrim analogy. You could just stick to the main quest, and linearlly "beat" the game. What people enjoyed about skyrim was goin off the beaten path and just exploring and finding cool caves and shit. Same concept applies here, except for me personally it's just not as rewarding, aka enjoyable. Like i said tho, if you smoke alot of weed, your gonna like this game. It has an immersive dialogue style and the planets actually are very diverse. After 15-20 hours its a 4.5/10 for me. Not worth 60 bones atm. There are some bugs( especially on PC ) and there is no multiplayer yet, but supposedly coming. I recommend the game. Just wait till it's on Steam sale or cheaper on PSN.
I'm a stoner and have no interest in this game. Looks like minecraft with updated graphics.

Daywolf
08-14-2016, 06:55 PM
The storyline of the game is cool, especially if you;re one of them stoner people. Get to the center of the universe and find the meaning of consciousness or someshit.
https://youtu.be/WYW_lPlekiQ

Gilder
08-15-2016, 03:08 PM
I'll just leave this here for whoever wants a funny, critical look at No Man's Sky in less than 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgfxo3CLdNM

Daywolf
08-21-2016, 12:04 AM
woah, this video (https://youtu.be/nLtmEjqzg7M) from E3 2014 it's fake. And the same area they kept playing it on in every live demo of the game. It's not actually part of the game world's procedural generation, but developed by artists, level designers and fully scripted. I just caught that here (https://youtu.be/_g2FmxIN1Ns?t=477).

JackFlash
08-21-2016, 01:16 AM
So glad I didn't waste a single dollar on that garbage.

Daywolf
08-21-2016, 01:35 AM
So glad I didn't waste a single dollar on that garbage.
Eye of the beholder. I like survival games. Though I like to either build in them or have really good space battles... or fights in general which demand player skill and awareness. The fakeness doesn't bother me too much (from my previous post), but it does lower my opinion of hello games as it should. I'm still willing to play at some point, but really only if they make the space combat more meaningful. Otherwise I'd just load X3 and have a blast.