PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Run speed

Goobles
01-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Run speed is too slow. This is for certain. If it's one thing I remember, it's when I first started playing and Kunark was just released. I was able to jump from wall to wall over the water in Cabilis. Here I am not able to. I am certain of this.

Pyrocat
01-04-2011, 01:25 AM
hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ah.

ha.

how many times must this thread be posted, Goobles you should know better.

Goobles
01-04-2011, 01:52 AM
I never thought anything of it, until I could not jump across the water in Cabilis. I remember this, I spent hours doing so! This means that runspeed is slow.

It's called R&D, mate.

Lazortag
01-04-2011, 02:52 AM
You might have a dual core problem or some other technical issue causing you to run slower. My gf's laptop had a problem where all of her chars were about 60% normal speed. I thought it was because her Agi was too low since I was a foolish noob back then who thought agility affected runspeed. If someone who definitely doesn't have such an issue (like me) can't jump across the water, then you might be right. I guess I'll try it out later if no one else does.

Goobles
01-04-2011, 03:18 AM
I know what issues you're talking about... I don't have it. But please, be welcome to try.

Lazortag
01-04-2011, 03:33 AM
I know what issues you're talking about... I don't have it. But please, be welcome to try.

Are you asking for a challenge??

Aadill
01-04-2011, 08:31 AM
I don't recall being able to make the jump without SoW/JBoots, but it is completely doable with it.

Chanus
01-04-2011, 08:46 AM
It's because they nerfed JBoots... again...

Goobles
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Are you asking for a challenge??

No.

Harrison
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
We've pointed this out countless times. They aren't able to correct this.

Lazortag
01-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure most threads have been about how mob run speed is too fast, not about how PC's run too slow.

Nimothar
01-04-2011, 10:52 PM
If you want to get scientific about it why don't you do a series of speed tests on live/p1999?

Teleport/Gate to a specific spot in a zone.
Use true north to ensure you face the same direction exactly always.
Start timer & Auto-Run (use a zone/path that has no obstacles in your running path).
Have an obvious end-point & End timer. e.g. zone line (this would have to be north).
Probably would want to use a zone/track that is as flat as possible and is still the same on both servers.
Do this many times on both Live/p1999 and calculate the difference (if any).
If there is a difference and p1999 is slower it should be possible to give players an innate run speed of 5% or whatever the difference is. There were AA's for this also, so it should be possible to do.

h0tr0d (shaere)
01-05-2011, 12:10 AM
it's slow for sure. You used to be able to outrun mobs using jump..

Gorgetrapper
01-05-2011, 12:47 AM
it's slow for sure. You used to be able to outrun mobs using jump..

You can still do that.

Bizarostormy
01-05-2011, 10:24 AM
You can still do that.

lol, no you can't.
At least not like on live you can't.
I remember going half way across zones with crap on me and outrunning them with jump.
Here you just get owned.

Lazortag
01-05-2011, 11:13 AM
On this server I can outrun mobs just by jumping, but just to be clear, strafe running works too and has never screwed up on me. Someone should really clarify whether there's an issue with mob runspeed or PC runspeed at play here, I think only a few people in this thread understand the distinction. Nimothar's idea is good - did they ever change runspeed on live?

eriamjh
01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
My current assumption is that NPC run speed is turned up a tick to compensate NPCs for not being able to Move + Attack in the same frame. Otherwise IDK what is wrong other than the developers not knowing the right value and wanting to estimate high.

ziahh
01-05-2011, 02:29 PM
it is either run speed or jump. as a DE i cant jump the pit in lower guk behind the elder. iam suposed to be able to.

Rhambuk
01-06-2011, 02:29 AM
It's impossible to outrun mobs on this server unless you run on governmental bandwidth internet.

For normal people its simply not possible to get away from mobs, with run strafe jump snare sow etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

I have tried everything and unless im at Cheetah/bard speed mobs are right on my ass.

Its bullshit.

and not classic.

What can you do? nothing, they wont change it, its been stated. Live with it.

Goobles
01-06-2011, 03:20 AM
it is either run speed or jump. as a DE i cant jump the pit in lower guk behind the elder. iam suposed to be able to.

As a Gnome, I can jump the pit... I'm a master at jumping. Hence why run speed is fucked.

UrB4Nn1nJ4
01-06-2011, 07:58 PM
It's impossible to outrun mobs on this server unless you run on governmental bandwidth internet.

For normal people its simply not possible to get away from mobs, with run strafe jump snare sow etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

I have tried everything and unless im at Cheetah/bard speed mobs are right on my ass.

Its bullshit.

and not classic.

Um.. I have been outrunning mobs since day 1 with strafe, and just recently started jumping while strafing and just smoking every mob in the zone. To say that not even SoW can outrun a mob is pathetic, something is wrong with your computer, your internet, you are encumbered, or maybe you are just trolling.

Tovin
01-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I just started on the server but I have experienced a similar problem with run-speed. Periodically (every 20 seconds or so), my character will slow down drastically (to walk speed) for about 3 or so seconds. This happens outdoors on flat surfaces as well as in dungeons. If I am running away during this time, mobs easily catch up to me and thwack me from behind. Even with SoW I get slaughtered by the mobs. On the flip side, when the slowdown is not occurring, I can strafe without SoW sufficiently fast enough to avoid getting hit.

I don't know if this is a system problem (I run Windows 7 Dual Core). Outside of this problem, I haven't experienced any other technical issues with the game.

UrB4Nn1nJ4
01-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I used to have runspeed issues, but I was moving at like the speed of sound, so I searched to forums and found that I needed WinEQ, playing through WinEQ all the runspeed problems are gone. Although I am doing an experiment and went to my friend's house, who has the worst internet of anyone I know, and am playing on it, it appears that mobs run faster on his bad internet.

Edit: Debunked, I can still outrun all mobs with just strafe walking even on this poor internet.

ziahh
01-08-2011, 01:37 PM
monster used to run a lil faster then you but not by much. if you want to get away from a monster you had to jump to buy some time b4 it hit you of course as long as you have stamina ...but again thats not all the mobs.

draogan
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I haven't played live since 2002, so I'm hardly an expert -- but certainly PC runspeed with respect to mob runspeed doesn't seem to be messed up. I can outrun normal speed mobs with strafe running, or with normal running and jumping using hilly terrain. That's the same as I remember from live, if not actually slightly better (I don't think strafe running was as reliable on live, or at least I don't remember it being so).

That said, haven't tried any "specific" spots like the water in Cab. Though as others have pointed out, EQ is notorious for having messed up game mechanics due to player-side problems.

As a sidenote, I have to turn my maxfps down to ~40 in P99 to avoid crashing (some error with my video card I have yet to figure out). Try turning down your framerate and see if there's a difference? EQLive used to be buggy (esp w/ regard to horses) that lower framerates would run faster.

Harrison
01-10-2011, 06:49 PM

This.

They've said, NUMEROUS TIMES, that there is a problem and it cannot be fixed at this time.

Deal with it. We all know it's fucked up a bit. Anyone saying it's not, is an idiot.

ziahh
02-02-2011, 02:15 PM
ur not suposed to outrun mob with no Sow but on live as long as u had stamina and keep on jumping you would gain distance over the mob running after you,then after stamina run out the mob finnaly was catching up to you.

Harrison
02-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Wrong, on live you could strafe run away from mobs that move at normal runspeed. (some mobs ran faster, buffed or unbuffed...they just did)

You didn't need to jump to keep them off of you though it did give you more of a lead. The strafe running MAINTAINED that lead.