PDA

View Full Version : Criminals Exploit Pokemon Go

maskedmelon
07-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Social features for tracking and identify Pokemon within the Pokemon Go app are being used in unanticipated ways.

Already multiple reports of criminals luring unwitting Pokemasters to ambush robberies have been filed giving rise to concerns of predators adopting the strategy to lure children.

Source (http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/pokémon-go-armed-robbers-use-game-to-lure-players-into-trap/ar-BBu9Kwo?li=BBnbcA1)

Too sleepy to type more, but felt this was newsworthy.

Spyder73
07-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Was at a pool party yesterday and 2 of my friends were nerding out about Pokemon go. These are 30-33 year old men I am speaking about...Anyways, I tried to make fun of them then quickly realized I spend most of my work day trolling an EQ simulator forum...live in a glass house ect ect, so I don't have much room to talk. Neither of these guys are "gamers" either, so this Pokemon sh!t has a lot of mass appeal if it could reel these 2 in.

Barkingturtle
07-11-2016, 10:49 AM
The people playing this game are adult children, so gonna be some pretty disappointed pedophiles out there in the streets.

In all seriousness, this is a game you play in public with your camera held outstretched like a crucifix, ready to capture the image of your would-be assailant. I understand why websites would want to report this story at this time but, speaking as a career criminal, I just don't see this as a great opportunity to hurt people.

Daywolf
07-11-2016, 11:47 AM
So this is some kind of social game? Like where they meet up and nerd out with pixel pets? And in their 30's?? meh, I'd recommend Ingress maybe, I do that sometimes, but it's more of an adult/famly game where you don't need to meet up with anyone to play. No time for that with me now though, too many hours playing the long dark, great simulator/game :)

Ivory
07-11-2016, 12:33 PM
So this is some kind of social game? Like where they meet up and nerd out with pixel pets? And in their 30's?? meh, I'd recommend Ingress maybe, I do that sometimes, but it's more of an adult/famly game where you don't need to meet up with anyone to play. No time for that with me now though, too many hours playing the long dark, great simulator/game :)

This is basically Ingress....with a pokemon skin :P

I hate how the game wasn't made for pokemon fans :( Apparently game design for actual children was too complicated for soccer moms :|

myriverse
07-11-2016, 02:15 PM
These are 30-33 year old men I am speaking about....
Pokemon was a huge thing 20 years ago for 10 year olds. Sounds about the right demographic.

R Flair
07-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Anyone expecting a decent score from kids playing pokemon go deserve to be in prison.

Daywolf
07-11-2016, 08:46 PM
This is basically Ingress....with a pokemon skin :P

I hate how the game wasn't made for pokemon fans :( Apparently game design for actual children was too complicated for soccer moms :|
Oh yeah, I think I heard last year during development that is was suppose to be the Ingress killer. Ingress is more adult oriented though, .... well adult adults hehe. It's a fun little hacking/CTF(well control points) type game. So when's My Little Pony Go coming out? lol too creepy...

big_ole_jpn
07-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Anyone expecting a decent score from kids playing pokemon go deserve to be in prison.

I know plenty of yuppies hooked on this stuff