PDA

View Full Version : Sculpting

maskedmelon
07-07-2016, 06:52 PM
I bought a box of clay a few years ago and its sat in my closet since. Wanted to have a to at some sculpting! Never done it before though and that probably why it just sat there. I used to sketch a lot and enjoyed that though.

Anyone here sculpt? Any advice on getting started? Waste of my time?

AzzarTheGod
07-07-2016, 07:00 PM
My grandfather does wood carving and wood sculptures. Birds mostly.

Its pretty cool.

Daywolf
07-07-2016, 07:28 PM
With clay, no. But if you want to practice first, I recommend this http://pixologic.com/sculptris/
It's nice to have a wacom tablet, but a mouse pointer will do. For clay, I'm sure there is a ton of youtube vids.

maskedmelon
07-07-2016, 07:40 PM
With clay, no. But if you want to practice first, I recommend this http://pixologic.com/sculptris/
It's nice to have a wacom tablet, but a mouse pointer will do. For clay, I'm sure there is a ton of youtube vids.

I have zbrush ^^, but haven't been able to use it for a while because I need a new graphic card : /

Sorn
07-07-2016, 07:48 PM
If you're doing something bigger than the palm of your hand, I recommend getting some wire and foil to make an armature first.

Also, knead thoroughly (ie a few minutes) before doing anything. You need to check if the clay is dried out first since you've had it for a few years.

Tecmos Deception
07-07-2016, 08:08 PM
An art thread? Where's Alawen when you need him? :(

maskedmelon
07-07-2016, 11:12 PM
If you're doing something bigger than the palm of your hand, I recommend getting some wire and foil to make an armature first.

Also, knead thoroughly (ie a few minutes) before doing anything. You need to check if the clay is dried out first since you've had it for a few years.

What kind of wire? Any way I can restore my clay if it has dried out? Just add water? Oh makes me wonder, what kind of consistency should it have? Going to dig it out this weekend and YouTube some tuts maybe ^^

Sorn
07-07-2016, 11:46 PM
What kind of wire? Any way I can restore my clay if it has dried out? Just add water? Oh makes me wonder, what kind of consistency should it have? Going to dig it out this weekend and YouTube some tuts maybe ^^

14 or 16 gauge wire of any sort (I use steel) should serve most purposes. You can use needle-nose pliers and wire cutters to manipulate it.

Restoring clay may or may not be possible, depending on type. You'd have to look up specifics. Some might stay good forever until baked/cured (like Sculpey), some might never cure (oil-based clays - used in stop-motion or forensic facial reconstruction), and some might air-dry (water-based clays - common in pottery/ceramics).

Consistency-wise, you're looking for something about as easy to squish as silly putty. Most don't start out this way, which is why you have to knead them.

Blitzers
07-08-2016, 11:18 AM
Sculp me up a white dragon idol for my Druid bro.

Qtip
07-08-2016, 09:42 PM
https://youtu.be/482Oq9Wg27s

georgie
07-12-2016, 01:00 PM
smoke a bowl and get creative

Spyder73
07-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Do an EQ figurine!

maskedmelon
07-12-2016, 02:49 PM
Do an EQ figurine!

Oh hey, now there's an idea ^^ I think I might try this.

Spyder73
07-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Make a sculpture of Tekilya Wu'Tang (Human monk) ripping out Braknars (Dwarf Pally) black heart and I will purchase it for $$$ depending on the quality.

Ahldagor
07-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Oh hey, now there's an idea ^^ I think I might try this.

Ogres and trolls might be easier for starting out. Then work up to the smaller bipeds. Iksar for the master.