PDA

View Full Version : relationship advice

Wonkie
07-07-2016, 12:59 AM
Hi, been a lurker in this section and didn't really have the courage to post, but I'm at my wits end with my girlfriend (let's call her Chris) and her immature behavior.

Some background: So I first met Chris in a group of friends. She was fun, tomboyish, smart, and well-versed on the internet which I found particularly striking. She spends a lot of time on reddit, 4chan, and knowyourmeme. At first I found this hobby mutual as I'm a frequent internet user myself, except I started noticing that Chris would bring it into the real world.

For example, Chris has an obsession with memes. She has memes posted all over her wall and is very active on meme based forums. I understand they make her laugh and that it's not too concerning, but she brings up memes ALL the time. And I mean all the time. Even when we first started talking and flirting she'd bring up socially awkward penguin. At first it was cute, but then it got annoying fast when I realized she did this constantly.

My girlfriend doesn't abstain from meme usage, even when we're having sex. Whenever we spend this time together, she starts moaning doge memes like "such sex, wow" and it really kills the moment for me. Like really? Is that even close to appropriate? Maybe she wants to relieve the tension, but does she know when to draw the line? Even reading that over made me sick knowing that Chris is usually 100% serious about those things.

I tried bringing up her inappropriate usage of memes after my father died and she literally sends me advice animal memes that say 'don't be sad' but my dad just fucking died could you be more sensitive and not send me memes? I said that straight to her face yesterday and she started crying, and I feel awful but it was just really irritating for me.

Basically, every time I bring up her habit, guess what- she just brings up memes! It's impossible to fight with her reasonably and I'd hate to end our year long relationship over something so trivial like this and I need advice. Do I stick with her or not? The reaction to my dad's death was the final straw for me and I've been ignoring her messages, texts, which yes, do contain memes.

tl;dr: Girlfriend uses memes in real life, acts immature about them, and doesn't understand context... I'm really at my wit's end and need advice on if I should break or try to work this out. Please help.

maerilith
07-07-2016, 01:05 AM
Stay a virgin.

Daywolf
07-07-2016, 01:44 AM
I had this GF, she annoyingly asked strangers on the internet for relationship advice. Anyway, she didn't appreciate my meme's and gif's :/

http://i.imgur.com/cWFdi2C.gif

maskedmelon
07-07-2016, 01:52 AM
That's a mean looking puppy.

Don't worry OP, you've certainly come to the right place with your dilemma. Being too stupid to manage images on my iPad, I had abstained from posting. Now that the thread is off on the right foot, I thought I'd tender an unhelpful response. Best of luck!

Daywolf
07-07-2016, 02:03 AM
That's a mean looking puppy.
Awww it's just a lovable pet performing for the camera :)

http://i.imgur.com/i9XzQsv.gif

Evia
07-07-2016, 02:23 AM
Honestly I would sit down with her and have a real heart-to-heart and explain everything you just did to us, to her. If she is someone you want to work this out with I'd just be straight up about how it is annoying and a little much. If she freaks out/cries/breaks up with you over it then you can't fault yourself. You were just being straight/honestly/real.

She may not even realize she's as bad about it as she is until you bring it up to her. Maybe she has a tough time expressing herself and so she clings to memes in order to say the words she herself has a hard time expressing? Hence, the awkward memes after your father passing?

TL;DR

Communication is Key. Talk it out. If it's bothering you enough to talk to online elf sim players then you probably need to remedy the situation one way or another.

Daywolf
07-07-2016, 02:44 AM
That's what I like to do, meet someone, have sex with 'em, then try to change her into a pizza and a 6-pack of beer at midnight.

It works every time! :D

big_ole_jpn
07-07-2016, 03:11 AM
Hi, been a lurker in this section and didn't really have the courage to post, but I'm at my wits end with my girlfriend (let's call her Chris) and her immature behavior.

Some background: So I first met Chris in a group of friends. She was fun, tomboyish, smart, and well-versed on the internet which I found particularly striking. She spends a lot of time on reddit, 4chan, and knowyourmeme. At first I found this hobby mutual as I'm a frequent internet user myself, except I started noticing that Chris would bring it into the real world.

For example, Chris has an obsession with memes. She has memes posted all over her wall and is very active on meme based forums. I understand they make her laugh and that it's not too concerning, but she brings up memes ALL the time. And I mean all the time. Even when we first started talking and flirting she'd bring up socially awkward penguin. At first it was cute, but then it got annoying fast when I realized she did this constantly.

My girlfriend doesn't abstain from meme usage, even when we're having sex. Whenever we spend this time together, she starts moaning doge memes like "such sex, wow" and it really kills the moment for me. Like really? Is that even close to appropriate? Maybe she wants to relieve the tension, but does she know when to draw the line? Even reading that over made me sick knowing that Chris is usually 100% serious about those things.

I tried bringing up her inappropriate usage of memes after my father died and she literally sends me advice animal memes that say 'don't be sad' but my dad just fucking died could you be more sensitive and not send me memes? I said that straight to her face yesterday and she started crying, and I feel awful but it was just really irritating for me.

Basically, every time I bring up her habit, guess what- she just brings up memes! It's impossible to fight with her reasonably and I'd hate to end our year long relationship over something so trivial like this and I need advice. Do I stick with her or not? The reaction to my dad's death was the final straw for me and I've been ignoring her messages, texts, which yes, do contain memes.

tl;dr: Girlfriend uses memes in real life, acts immature about them, and doesn't understand context... I'm really at my wit's end and need advice on if I should break or try to work this out. Please help.

is this real? it kinda seems real.

AzzarTheGod
07-07-2016, 03:22 AM

You sound like a girl.

You knew who she was when you got together. Now you are bitching about it after you couldn't change her. This is textbook girl bullshit.

Grow the fuck up and accept her as it seems you have already invested a lot with her, and more importantly she has invested a lot in you. You can't be the one to initiate a breakup, you lost that right when you got serious with her.

AzzarTheGod
07-07-2016, 03:25 AM
Honestly I would sit down with her and have a real heart-to-heart and explain everything you just did to us, to her. If she is someone you want to work this out with I'd just be straight up about how it is annoying and a little much. If she freaks out/cries/breaks up with you over it then you can't fault yourself. You were just being straight/honestly/real.

She may not even realize she's as bad about it as she is until you bring it up to her. Maybe she has a tough time expressing herself and so she clings to memes in order to say the words she herself has a hard time expressing? Hence, the awkward memes after your father passing?

TL;DR

Communication is Key. Talk it out. If it's bothering you enough to talk to online elf sim players then you probably need to remedy the situation one way or another.

I know guys who are all about meme lifestyle, guess what? Like minded people find like minded people! A novel fucking concept, I know. So color me shocked at your advice.

This guy seems like a huge nerd is all I read in his post, and hes a bitch on top of that. He is bitching about his girlfriend's personality, what a fucking loser.

Suggesting this is anything else but bitching about his girlfriends personality AFTER he already invested in a serious relationship is laughable.

Jimjam
07-07-2016, 03:27 AM
Foster some new mutual interests. If all you have together is wasting significant chunks of your time on the internets (yay) then that's all you have.

Maybe take up smoking or something so you can talk about vapes? I don't know. There's not much to me.

Tenlaar
07-07-2016, 03:30 AM
You can't be the one to initiate a breakup, you lost that right when you got serious with her.

The fuck is this stupidity? Dating somebody is automatically a lifelong commitment in your mind?

AzzarTheGod
07-07-2016, 03:31 AM
Foster some new mutual interests. If all you have together is wasting significant chunks of your time on the internets (yay) then that's all you have.

Maybe take up smoking or something so you can talk about vapes? I don't know. There's not much to me.

Finally somewhat legitimate advice.

I don't give a fuck what this guys problem is, he admitted he knew and connected with her through memes.

He connected with her through memes and invested with her anyway.

Let that sink in. Fuck this guy and his self-created problem.

AzzarTheGod
07-07-2016, 03:32 AM
The fuck is this stupidity? Dating somebody is automatically a lifelong commitment in your mind?

He has invested a lot of time with her and engaged in a monogamous relationship, a monogamous steady dating arrangement is one step before marriage, its pretty serious... so that isn't dating you fucking moron.

Dating is when you date and see other people. You know, actual dating. Not playing house.

You are a misogynist asshole.

Tenlaar
07-07-2016, 03:51 AM
a monogamous steady dating arrangement...so that isn't dating you fucking moron.

Derp a derp.

AzzarTheGod
07-07-2016, 03:53 AM
Derp a derp.

You lose. Calling the referees to take a look at the plays I made.

I don't think anyone is going to agree with you that dating = steady and monogamous. Dating implies you are allowed to see other women.

Just take this L and walk. We'll hear from the refs in a bit on dating/steady/monogamous relationships.

Tenlaar
07-07-2016, 04:29 AM
Your definition of dating is not universal. And regardless, I doubt that many people are going to agree with you that being in a relationship with somebody for a year means that you are no longer allowed to break up with them. Because, you know, that's incredibly stupid.

maerilith
07-07-2016, 04:30 AM
it's not really like super real it's only distantly real

AzzarTheGod
07-07-2016, 04:42 AM
Your definition of dating is not universal. And regardless, I doubt that many people are going to agree with you that being in a relationship with somebody for a year means that you are no longer allowed to break up with them. Because, you know, that's incredibly stupid.

As if that changes the reason he is breaking up isn't incredibly stupid. You're still both misogynists regardless.

Some things are universal. I don't make the rules on dating, the mainstream does. You can't sit in your house and make up your own definition-- pretending the world doesn't exist, you poindexter.

AzzarTheGod
07-07-2016, 04:44 AM
it's not really like super real it's only distantly real

says another lonely shut-in with extremely inapplicable real world social experience on the subject.

I'm dunking them left, I'm dunking them right, and I'm dunking them center in this thread. Nobody gets an exemption sorry maerlith.

big_ole_jpn
07-07-2016, 04:50 AM
He has invested a lot of time with her and engaged in a monogamous relationship, a monogamous steady dating arrangement is one step before marriage, its pretty serious... so that isn't dating you fucking moron.

Dating is when you date and see other people. You know, actual dating. Not playing house.

You lose. Calling the referees to take a look at the plays I made.

I don't think anyone is going to agree with you that dating = steady and monogamous. Dating implies you are allowed to see other women.

Just take this L and walk. We'll hear from the refs in a bit on dating/steady/monogamous relationships.

Technical foul.

The disagreement arises from plebs adhering to the plebeian definition of "dating" as implying some kind of a serious commitment. You see, the typical consumptive automaton is not capable of maintaining genuine emotional connections with other humans, and instead forms transactional bonds centered around the exchange of goods and sex, held together moment to moment with the conversational duct tape of memespouting (from "much sex very wow" to "are you coming with me to the Bernie rally Friday?").

The arrangement "dating" would seem distinct from a serious relationship to a living human since typically it would only serve as a formality (ensuring the transactional part of the relationship will function) at the beginning of a human bond. However, to a typical roboperson who would settle for a vagina attached to a parrot that repeats hilarious stuff from the talmudvision during what would be intense emotional episodes, dating and a serious relationship are in fact one and the same, since an automaton cannot ever progress past the transactional formalities and into the emotional phase of the relationship. Of course I have never "dated" anyone even as a formality as I possess both halves of the transactional relationship due to the high value placed on sexual relations with me and my own material success, but I think my hypothesis and consequent judgment are reasonably well-informed.

Because you have already consented to a long-term relationship with a weakened entity who depends upon you for sustenance, breaking the arrangement would constitute a violation of the contract. It's up to you if you want that on your conscience (such as it is) but it wouldn't put you in the right to suddenly start claiming you're a real human being with feelings since you claimed brainlessness when the pussy was offered not just for a night or two, but for so long that a dependence ensued.

Within the paradigm of being a idiot retard I can see how Azzar could be considered in the wrong, but as far as the wider world of masters of the universe is concerned, the God is 100% correct. Sit down child.

maerilith
07-07-2016, 04:53 AM
if someone is a mysoginst asshole it's better if they just break away even if it's mean as fuck

giving that "lesser" person room to heal and figure shit out for themselves is fine, even if the dumbass does it for selfish reasons.

It's a bad relationship. You can end it nicely or you can end it brutally. How you do that is up to you and depends on how you feel personally.

I would suggest you find a way to gently stay a virgin.

Tenlaar
07-07-2016, 04:57 AM
As if that changes the reason he is breaking up isn't incredibly stupid. You're still both misogynists regardless.

It doesn't really matter what the reason is. If somebody is not happy in a relationship then they have every right to leave it.

Some things are universal. I don't make the rules on dating, the mainstream does. You can't sit in your house and make up your own definition-- pretending the world doesn't exist, you poindexter.

You're the one making up your own firm definition of a nebulous concept here. Dating does not only mean seeing other people, and you yourself labeled their relationship as a "monogamous dating relationship" before you turned around and said it's not dating. If you asked somebody how long they have been with their girlfriend and they respond "We've been dating for two years now," would you berate that person for improperly defining their own relationship?

Daywolf
07-07-2016, 07:05 AM
says another lonely shut-in with extremely inapplicable real world social experience on the subject.

I'm dunking them left, I'm dunking them right, and I'm dunking them center in this thread. Nobody gets an exemption sorry maerlith.Well in defense of ma0, he says he does manage to slip into a dress and hang out at public restrooms for possible dates (you know that rnf thread). It's gotta count for something :o

btw, would this dating thing apply to dating two women, at the same time ... same date? :)
this threads getting hilarious, needs a random meme

http://i.imgur.com/LqEd5eJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/z2YhJbh.jpg

maskedmelon
07-07-2016, 08:09 AM
I don't understand what is so offensive about memes, but then I don't really know of any firsthand.

You have two options:

1. Be an asshole and split
2. Be a pussy and shut up

Either way, you're screwed :/

On the other hand if it was a dude doing this with memes I'd say leave his ass. Men stop maturing mentally around 12 when other ambitions take the reigns. If he is still this immature at this age and it bothers you, leave his ass now, because it's not changing, ever.

Amyas
07-07-2016, 08:14 AM

Pee in her butt it will make her submit...

Sidelle
07-07-2016, 09:22 AM
Dump her right away. On a meme of course. :D

Blitzers
07-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Tenlaar
07-07-2016, 09:56 AM
1. Be an asshole and split

Why would he automatically be an asshole for breaking up with a girl that he's not happy being with any more?

maskedmelon
07-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Why would he automatically be an asshole for breaking up with a girl that he's not happy being with any more?

Blitzers
07-07-2016, 10:25 AM
Send her a text saying, "Honey can you pickup my Valtrex prescription?"

Lol

Lune
07-07-2016, 10:31 AM
Technical foul.

The disagreement arises from plebs adhering to the plebeian definition of "dating" as implying some kind of a serious commitment. You see, the typical consumptive automaton is not capable of maintaining genuine emotional connections with other humans, and instead forms transactional bonds centered around the exchange of goods and sex, held together moment to moment with the conversational duct tape of memespouting (from "much sex very wow" to "are you coming with me to the Bernie rally Friday?").

The arrangement "dating" would seem distinct from a serious relationship to a living human since typically it would only serve as a formality (ensuring the transactional part of the relationship will function) at the beginning of a human bond. However, to a typical roboperson who would settle for a vagina attached to a parrot that repeats hilarious stuff from the talmudvision during what would be intense emotional episodes, dating and a serious relationship are in fact one and the same, since an automaton cannot ever progress past the transactional formalities and into the emotional phase of the relationship. Of course I have never "dated" anyone even as a formality as I possess both halves of the transactional relationship due to the high value placed on sexual relations with me and my own material success, but I think my hypothesis and consequent judgment are reasonably well-informed.

Because you have already consented to a long-term relationship with a weakened entity who depends upon you for sustenance, breaking the arrangement would constitute a violation of the contract. It's up to you if you want that on your conscience (such as it is) but it wouldn't put you in the right to suddenly start claiming you're a real human being with feelings since you claimed brainlessness when the pussy was offered not just for a night or two, but for so long that a dependence ensued.

Within the paradigm of being a idiot retard I can see how Azzar could be considered in the wrong, but as far as the wider world of masters of the universe is concerned, the God is 100% correct. Sit down child.

http://i.imgur.com/NHKwteG.jpg

Tenlaar
07-07-2016, 10:43 AM
Do you guys not know what a misogynist is, or is this a clumsy attempt at being trolls?

Daywolf
07-07-2016, 11:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/zVD2fV0.jpg

pickled_heretic
07-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Do you guys not know what a misogynist is, or is this a clumsy attempt at being trolls?

I didn't read the thread, but the fact that you asked that question indicates that they are at least moderately effective trolls

Ahldagor
07-07-2016, 02:16 PM
I didn't read the thread, but the fact that you asked that question indicates that they are at least moderately effective trolls

Straight out of the 4chan summer league. Shit's sad that they took op's stink bait.

Tenlaar
07-07-2016, 02:43 PM

Meh. The point of trolling is to inspire rage and/or rusted jimmies. It's not effective if it just doesn't make sense.

Blitzers
07-07-2016, 03:12 PM
Meh. The point of trolling is to inspire rage and/or rusted jimmies. It's not effective if it just doesn't make sense.

Tickle bottom

AzzarTheGod
07-07-2016, 04:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NHKwteG.jpg

Man of The Year. Time magazine cover.

I was trying to think of an appropriate .gif, because there was no way words were appropriate.

Thanks for the ruling big dawg.

AzzarTheGod
07-16-2016, 04:37 PM

No one else is going to take Tenlaar to task on this? Really? You guys are getting lazy...Sons I am very disappoint.

And anyone else notice how OP tucked tail in embarrassment rather than defend his position/feelings? That's because the squad was right. Pulitzer Prize motherfuckers we in this bitch.

Shrubwise
07-16-2016, 05:50 PM
It's because it was a troll copypasta and ye took the bait, line and sinker.

barrettdc1
07-16-2016, 05:54 PM
didn't read thread, but I came here to say were gonna have to see some nudes of the GF to come up with the correct determination. thanx.

AzzarTheGod
07-16-2016, 05:58 PM
It's because it was a troll copypasta and ye took the bait, line and sinker.

I mean how old are some of you guys?

I'm 30 years old and my aware heyday was '03 to '11. Some of you probably need to ask, when do you move on? You are basically the girl in the story.

Feels good to not spend a single hour of time on reddit, misc, or the chans in the last 4 years. If you catch one or two copypastas here and there, no big deal.

But if you are catching and awared on everything and are over the age of 28, you most likely have some kind of socioeconomic problem. (welfare, money problems, dead end job, no friends, limited social circle i.e. Napolean Dynamite)

If you have been working software/IT for 50k for the last 10 years, that's money problems and a dead end job, before you nerds even think you aren't included in that group.

Pokesan
07-16-2016, 06:06 PM
found it in a thread on the hotdog forums making fun of reddit

Pokesan
07-16-2016, 06:18 PM
so you are unoriginal, got it

whats wrong with you

Pokesan
07-16-2016, 06:20 PM
no i actually think you have serious mental problems!

Shrubwise
07-17-2016, 10:03 AM
I mean how old are some of you guys?

I'm 30 years old and my aware heyday was '03 to '11. Some of you probably need to ask, when do you move on? You are basically the girl in the story.

Feels good to not spend a single hour of time on reddit, misc, or the chans in the last 4 years. If you catch one or two copypastas here and there, no big deal.

But if you are catching and awared on everything and are over the age of 28, you most likely have some kind of socioeconomic problem. (welfare, money problems, dead end job, no friends, limited social circle i.e. Napolean Dynamite)

If you have been working software/IT for 50k for the last 10 years, that's money problems and a dead end job, before you nerds even think you aren't included in that group.

I'm 29.

I don't use Reddit, Chan's, or the likes.

I could tell it was copypasta by the layout, structure, and overall attitude of the post.

You kind of get a little psychopath there at the end of your post. It's just a copypasta troll and you got gotten. No need to be upset.

big_ole_jpn
07-17-2016, 01:49 PM
I'm 29.

I don't use Reddit, Chan's, or the likes.

I could tell it was copypasta by the layout, structure, and overall attitude of the post.

You kind of get a little psychopath there at the end of your post. It's just a copypasta troll and you got gotten. No need to be upset.

i didn't believe OP for a second nerd -- i come on this board to roleplay & i'm not alone. You've got nothing on any of us.

meanwhile, there is no simply roleplaying that you still think diablo 2 is good when taking/posting hundreds of screenshots of the game in 2016. You are 29 years old and still can't see thru marketing and crowd psychology from your childhood. Your taste is shit and you contribute nothing of quality. practice posting in your shitgame containment thread a few more years before you try stepping again.

BYE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBNNlyI0Dn4)

Ahldagor
07-17-2016, 03:48 PM
i didn't believe OP for a second nerd -- i come on this board to roleplay & i'm not alone. You've got nothing on any of us.

meanwhile, there is no simply roleplaying that you still think diablo 2 is good when taking/posting hundreds of screenshots of the game in 2016. You are 29 years old and still can't see thru marketing and crowd psychology from your childhood. Your taste is shit and you contribute nothing of quality. practice posting in your shitgame containment thread a few more years before you try stepping again.

You're trying too hard.

Shrubwise
07-17-2016, 03:50 PM

You seem troubled about that 3-pointer I sunk over your head when you tried to shit up my awesome Diablo 2 thread. So much so that you are now following me into other, completely unrelated threads, in an A & B conversation which does not involve you.

If you want, I can recommend some good therapists.

And if you would like, go ahead and create a poll on whether or not Diablo 2 is a staple of modern online gaming and a founding father of the RPG genre. I'll bet you real life dollars you gon' lose, sonny boy.

AzzarTheGod
07-17-2016, 03:52 PM

Pretty much this. I don't believe ultimately anyone can get "got" by something like this due to the assumed kayfabe RP fun that takes place on these forums on a daily basis.

An activity which incentivizes ignoring whether something is copypasta or not.

The thread taken at its face value, allowed me to expose and dunk on several misogynist Jon Heder's with a Pulitzer Prize assist. Great success was had.