PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon Go

Secrets
07-06-2016, 01:36 AM
Appears to be rolling out today, AUS has it first.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticlabs.pokemongo

Any aussies have it yet? I'm curious how good it is compared to Ingress.

big_ole_jpn
07-06-2016, 02:05 AM
seems gay butt prolly buy cuz im gay

maskedmelon
07-07-2016, 01:29 AM
Looks free, no?

big_ole_jpn
07-07-2016, 01:56 AM
free to catch pokemans, pay to level them etc. Pretty stripped down shitty mobile game. No battle system as far as I can tell.

It's pretty bad but I guess walking around and encountering "pokemans" (they dont link up with pokebank and you cant actually battle) in "augmented reality" (really they pop up 4 feet off the ground) is kinda cute.

Also, game only functions on GPS. It's a means to catalog pedestrian footpaths, etc. Doesn't really matter but it creeps me out a lil bit.

Pocket Master is the better mobile pokeman game.

http://i.imgur.com/TQCnNH6.png

maskedmelon
07-07-2016, 02:06 AM
hmmm, well I'll have to check them out. I like the Lotad.

big_ole_jpn
07-07-2016, 02:15 AM
hmmm, well I'll have to check them out. I like the Lotad.

they all call you Master enthusiastically, it's pretty boss

pickled_heretic
07-07-2016, 01:32 PM
free to catch pokemans, pay to level them etc. Pretty stripped down shitty mobile game. No battle system as far as I can tell.

It's pretty bad but I guess walking around and encountering "pokemans" (they dont link up with pokebank and you cant actually battle) in "augmented reality" (really they pop up 4 feet off the ground) is kinda cute.

Also, game only functions on GPS. It's a means to catalog pedestrian footpaths, etc. Doesn't really matter but it creeps me out a lil bit.

Pocket Master is the better mobile pokeman game.

http://i.imgur.com/TQCnNH6.png

kawaii as fuck

barrettdc1
07-07-2016, 02:19 PM
"Ma'am, trust me, there's a geodude in your shower!" "GET THE FUCK OUT I"M CALLING THE POLICE!"

pickled_heretic
07-07-2016, 02:26 PM
"Ma'am, trust me, there's a geodude in your shower!" "GET THE FUCK OUT I"M CALLING THE POLICE!"

I was playing midnight sentinels of the multiverse at a cafe yesterday with our regular play group and we were talking about this exact issue.

What if your house is a pokemon gym? you're pretty much required to accept all challenges right?

Lenas
07-07-2016, 03:39 PM
Not how it works. Also you only have to be within like 30 feet to be considered "near" something, no one is going to be trespassing to catch pokemon. You leave your pokemon at gyms and people come challenge them, you don't fight to defend you only fight to take over. Every day you get bonus exp/money for each one of your pokemon undefeated at a gym. Once they are beaten they get sent back to you needing a revive.

Blitzers
07-07-2016, 03:55 PM
< overwhelmed with joy that I'm NOT. Part of the Pokemon Generation

Pokesan
07-07-2016, 04:48 PM
this game is the end of civilization

maskedmelon
07-07-2016, 04:50 PM

Hah! What do you know about Pokemon. *snorts*

pickled_heretic
07-07-2016, 04:51 PM

i doubt people will stop living in cities because of this game

big_ole_jpn
07-08-2016, 12:19 AM
Been playing this more, it's kinda fun when it works. Haven't gotten to the "battle" part yet due to shit servers but from what I've youtubed I'm pretty sure it deserves the scare quotes. Looks like the pokemans just play out a numbers game fight with no user input except the option to spend $ beefing up. anyone able to confirm/deny/explain the combat system?

Lenas
07-08-2016, 12:20 AM
You dodge left/right by swiping and tap the other pokemon to attack. Attacking builds up a power gauge and when you have enough for a strong attack you hold your finger down for a second to fire it off. The battle isn't turn based and you can be hit with an attack while you are attacking, yourself.

big_ole_jpn
07-08-2016, 12:24 AM
You dodge left/right by swiping and tap the other pokemon to attack. Attacking builds up a power gauge and when you have enough for a strong attack you hold your finger down for a second to fire it off. The battle isn't turn based and you can be hit with an attack while you are attacking, yourself.

o that actually sounds fun. Hope they fix the servers soon, this is worse than wow launch.

Tecmos Deception
07-08-2016, 08:14 AM
Ingress is 100x better. Play that if you want an AR game. Social, PvP, territory control, teamwork, trading, farming, building, destroying, exploring. Instead of "hey my camera is showing theres a little dude in my living room and I can flick balls at him while my phone overheats. Out of balls! I'll just throw money at this piece of shit alpha game cause I'm sure that'll mean it'll be quality 2 more years from now!"

pickled_heretic
07-08-2016, 02:22 PM
tbqh familia, i saw one of my friends playing this last night and thought it looked kinda neat

then i realized my only 3/4g device is a nexus and fuck getting a data plan just for that thing ( i don't have or want a smart phone )

Aviann
07-08-2016, 02:29 PM
Fuck Ingress.

I just caught a raticate while taking a shit. #winning

xKoopa
07-08-2016, 05:08 PM
tfw you wanna fight the gyms by your house, but you dont wanna hang out in peoples parking lots getting weird looks

big_ole_jpn
07-08-2016, 05:18 PM
tfw you wanna fight the gyms by your house, but you dont wanna hang out in peoples parking lots getting weird looks

i got hassled by a cop last night, shined a light in my face and everything

Barkingturtle
07-08-2016, 05:44 PM
i doubt people will stop living in cities because of this game

Don't be so sure.

My wife and I live outside city limits, near a large state park and other open, undeveloped mountain country in Colorado. She doesn't even need to hunt for Pokemans. She just turns on her phone and there are like five to ten right in our yard. They must be humping up a storm out here in rural America because they are everywhere. Catching them all is basically taking over her life but that's okay because she's happy.

pickled_heretic
07-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Don't be so sure.

My wife and I live outside city limits, near a large state park and other open, undeveloped mountain country in Colorado. She doesn't even need to hunt for Pokemans. She just turns on her phone and there are like five to ten right in our yard. They must be humping up a storm out here in rural America because they are everywhere. Catching them all is basically taking over her life but that's okay because she's happy.

fair enough... i figured they'd do something like "more people walk here... so there's more pokemans" but if it's just randomly distributed around the country, ted kaczynski would have a big advantage (assuming he has internet)

derpcake
07-09-2016, 02:35 AM
Wonder how long until the first dindunuffin states he was on another persons property trying to catch pikachu.

barrettdc1
07-09-2016, 08:14 AM
i got hassled by a cop last night, shined a light in my face and everything

This game is going to be responsible for a murder when 2 harambes pull out guns on each other cause one of them lost a pokemon battle. Callin' it now.

R Flair
07-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Teen finds dead body while hunting Pokemon near a river. (http://county10.com/201021174044426240)

Shrubwise
07-09-2016, 03:23 PM
I found a dead body when I was 17 and I wasnt even searching for a Pokemon. In hindsight, I'd much rather have found him while catching a sick ass squirtle or something.

Freakish
07-09-2016, 09:08 PM
I let a Kadabra get away just now. I'm so mad.

Ahldagor
07-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Is it worth it? Mainly I'm curious of what might show up in a bar's or restaurant's kitchen.

Lune
07-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Fuck this has so much potential.

Like making it so you can find super rare badass pokemon at the top of a 14,000ft volcano or something.

Mew in ancient Aztec ruins

Zapdos at power plants

Jigglypuff at strip joints

Jinx in South Chicago

Slowmo at special ed schools

Electrode literally anywhere in the Middle East

I'd play it. id play the fuck out of it

Buellen
07-09-2016, 11:36 PM
I am having fun with it so far. level 7 with a Arcanine 441 Cp being my best pet so far.

Sure make you walk around a lot more 8).

Lot of public pace like parks churches hospitals etc are Poke stopes which make it easy to stock up on pokemon balls , revive things and healing patches. Have gotten some eggs also at these poke stops.

I see it promoting healthy activity also. A lot more people in my small town are walking after sun set at the local park as it has 4 poke stops an 1 Gym to do battles in.

It is funny as heck watching people walking around the park stoping and staring at their phone an start flicking their fingers up you can tell they are throw poke man balls.

Anyhow first 2 days of playing and i think its going to be a hit.

Tecmos Deception
07-10-2016, 12:22 AM
Welcome to AR games, ya dirty millenials.

Hopefully Niantic gets more funding for Ingress with you pokemon folk doing microtransactions!

big_ole_jpn
07-10-2016, 12:41 AM

Like making it so you can find super rare badass pokemon at the top of a 14,000ft volcano or something.

Zapdos at power plants

Jinx in South Chicago

Sounds great, but putting pokemans anywhere fun/interesting = liability.

as it is now, pokemans seem to pop up pretty much completely randomly, with gyms being located at population hubs (seems like every park is a gym in my area). This idea is absolute gold though. Expecting Mewtwos in the back rooms of partner restaurants and retail locations soon.

Baler
07-10-2016, 01:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QBVJooq.png

http://i.imgur.com/Ui9RJCI.png

That's fucked up.

Ahldagor
07-10-2016, 02:11 PM
Lulz, the pentecostal church across the street at my gf's is a pokestop.

Pokesan
07-10-2016, 07:48 PM
I went 15 minutes walking today without a single sighting.

Closed the app, restarted it soon after and sure enough there was something to catch. Are they appearing just on my phone or for anyone else with the app open as well?

instanced pokemons :o

Buellen
07-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Some do appear to others people phones , but not all the time. I had a peekachu sp? stolen by a co worker today as we where both at pokemon stop. She was level 1 to my level 8. we both saw it on our phones but she was quicker.

big_ole_jpn
07-10-2016, 10:10 PM
I went 15 minutes walking today without a single sighting.

Closed the app, restarted it soon after and sure enough there was something to catch. Are they appearing just on my phone or for anyone else with the app open as well?

I think it's an issue with the servers. Sometimes I can walk a few blocks and see 5 rustling grass, and most of the time there is no grass at all. Sometimes restarting the game completely causes grass to start rustling, but I can't be assed anymore.

Haven't caught my 3rd pokeman yet and I look for 10 min minimum each time my driver is taking me to the steakhouse.

mropey
07-11-2016, 08:00 AM
Just your normal Monday at the office. Just seized control of the United States Pentagon.

http://i.imgur.com/hnZfn30.jpg

Freakish
07-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Some do appear to others people phones , but not all the time. I had a peekachu sp? stolen by a co worker today as we where both at pokemon stop. She was level 1 to my level 8. we both saw it on our phones but she was quicker.

It doesn't work that way. They move on with time but I was with a group yesterday, found a charmander caught it and yelled for everyone else to come over to get it. We were tracking a rhyhorn but it got away.

Shrubwise
07-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Just your normal Monday at the office. Just seized control of the United States Pentagon.

http://i.imgur.com/hnZfn30.jpg

Congrats... you are on a list now.

mropey
07-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Congrats... you are on a list now.

What list do you think I am on now?

Uuruk
07-11-2016, 03:48 PM
What list do you think I am on now?

4 level 60s in your sig and level 15 in pokemon.

I think that's the virgin list.

Samsung
07-11-2016, 05:12 PM
Met a bunch of cool people, walking like crazy, staying out of the house all day with the wife, it's been a great experience so far. Also caught a 1150 to Snorlax.

Nuggie
07-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Roving bands of millenials everywhere I go!

Never thought I would see the day where a game would cause teens to go outside.

Uuruk
07-11-2016, 05:24 PM
Met a bunch of cool people, walking like crazy, staying out of the house all day with the wife, it's been a great experience so far. Also caught a 1150 to Snorlax.

You put your wife in a pokeball?

Hagotem.jpg

LostCause
07-11-2016, 06:29 PM
never liked pokemon even back in the day when the first pokemon gameboy gamecame out

think i was playing pogs or some bs lol

AzzarTheGod
07-11-2016, 06:32 PM
one of the most innovative and interactive games out right now.

this ones a monster, its causing nerds all over to side eye eachother in parking lots.

instanced pokemons :o

sad if true.

new thread "BDA to Pokémon Go"

AzzarTheGod
07-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Zapdos at power plants

Jinx in South Chicago

This. Its the next breakthrough in interactive gaming. Oculus Rift can suck my dick.

Put some of these bad boys in Capitol Hill.

maskedmelon
07-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Need phone glasses, like Google glass, but larger wrap around screen (not bulky gaming/media interface style) and hand gesture recognition on the forward facing camera. Someone make this shit please.

AzzarTheGod
07-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Need phone glasses, like Google glass, but larger wrap around screen (not bulky gaming/media interface style) and hand gesture recognition on the forward facing camera. Someone make this shit please.

Did Google Glass get fully shelved/canceled?

I stopped following it after a few years when backlash from the public kept it in closed beta.

is it still available for signups, or is it fully private?

AzzarTheGod
07-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Google glass was fully shelved indefinitely a few years ago as I thought.

Shame society wasn't ready for it yet. Google cut support so hard, that a guy who won a google glass app design contest didn't even get his app placed on the Google Glass app hub....

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/google-glass-market

Yikes. Didn't even make it to beta.

Lojik
07-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Game seems like a good way for predators to find some prey

mropey
07-12-2016, 07:09 AM
4 level 60s in your sig and level 15 in pokemon.

I think that's the virgin list.

Lol. Too bad you're wrong about that.

AzzarTheGod
07-12-2016, 07:11 AM
Game seems like a good way for predators to find some prey

worried about it being abused, guess data breach happened and exact locations are available to the hackers recently...

Big problems.

mropey
07-12-2016, 07:32 AM
Because ATM machines haven't been "Lures" for the past 3 decades. Get a grip people.

maskedmelon
07-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Because ATM machines haven't been "Lures" for the past 3 decades. Get a grip people.

Yeah, this guy gets it. It's not like you can set a Pokemon hot spot in the middle of the woods or a back alley or something ffs.

Buellen
07-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Just took over a gym this morning prob wont last. Only used a 600 CP Arcanin Defending with a 590 CP pet. but at least I got me 10 coins and 500 stardust. Taking over a Gym give good XP BTW.

Spyder73
07-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Never understood the obsession with Pokemon - Its a cool concept and would be neat if they made them real monsters...but Pikachu as the franchise player? Super gay

Daywolf
07-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Bruu! 'I'm trapped in the f****** graveyard!' (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3688076/I-m-trapped-f-graveyard-Terrified-woman-sobs-gets-locked-cemetery-hunting-Pok-mon.html) :D

xKoopa
07-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Never understood the obsession with Pokemon - Its a cool concept and would be neat if they made them real monsters...but Pikachu as the franchise player? Super gay

Go download a gameboy emu and pokemon blue on ur phone

Play around with it in ur free time and lmk how great it is

Freakish
07-14-2016, 09:55 AM
A lot of people think he's just a stupid yellow blob and that's fine. Charizard is a pretty cool mascot but he's not cute.

Grubbz
07-14-2016, 07:28 PM
Everyone knows that Dragonite is the best pokemon.

Daywolf
07-15-2016, 02:30 AM
If you miss when trying to catch a pokemon you can press on the ball to pick it up again....never knew til just now.http://i.imgur.com/acxUbyF.gif

Ahldagor
07-15-2016, 08:55 AM
I'm happy that I caught a Gastly.

maskedmelon
07-15-2016, 09:02 AM
If you miss when trying to catch a pokemon you can press on the ball to pick it up again....never knew til just now.

Omg, thank you Swish^^ I was a worried I was going to run out of pokeballs. I am awful at throwing them. Burned probably 10 on one damn spearow :(

Samsung
07-15-2016, 09:27 AM
If you miss when trying to catch a pokemon you can press on the ball to pick it up again....never knew til just now.

This isn't true.

cdawgz28
07-15-2016, 09:41 AM
I'm enjoying this more than p1999 haha. I take the kids with me and we just take turns capturing shit. Downtown long beach at the water was packed and literally everyone except meth heads digging in trash and 90 year old people were playing

Samsung
07-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Not so easy if you have fat fingers I hear

Show me proof. I've been playing this game religiously. I'm level 23 with 15 1100 cp+ Pokémon. Nobody has showed proof of this nor has nintiac confirm this.

Thulack
07-15-2016, 09:58 AM

You obviously dont play the game. That is just a myth http://attackofthefanboy.com/guides/pokemon-go-guide-can-recover-poke-balls/

Gilder
07-15-2016, 10:03 AM
Everyone knows that Dragonite is the best pokemon.

Snorlax or GTFO

Daywolf
07-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Downtown long beach at the water was packed and literally everyone except meth heads digging in trash and 90 year old people were playingyep hah! (https://youtu.be/V-O9tU2QpCs)

maskedmelon
07-15-2016, 10:21 AM
Snorlax or GTFO

Jigglypuff

pathius41
07-15-2016, 11:37 AM
yep hah! (https://youtu.be/V-O9tU2QpCs)

anyone else notice that guy had some massive man boobs, indicating he himself was likely a grossly overweight manchild living in his parents basement and now that he lost weight is over compensating by trying to pick on so called "nerds" for still playing.

Thulack
07-15-2016, 02:21 PM
anyone else notice that guy had some massive man boobs, indicating he himself was likely a grossly overweight manchild living in his parents basement and now that he lost weight is over compensating by trying to pick on so called "nerds" for still playing.

You do realize you can be active and in shape and still have man boobs right?

Ahldagor
07-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Gengar uber alles.

pathius41
07-16-2016, 12:00 AM
You do realize you can be active and in shape and still have man boobs right?

You /can/ yes but far more likely he was really fat and now he's not. Especially when you couple the man boobs fact with the hatred for nerd culture. js