PDA

View Full Version : Steam sale over so first impressions

Daywolf
07-06-2016, 01:11 AM
So the steam summer sale ended yesterday, what did you buy and what were your first impressions playing those games/software?

I spent way less this year. Like a whopping 21 bucks lol. Last year I spent I think $80 and all hard-core games for my desktop computer. But I got some good discounts, more than last year, and more casual stuff this year since I'm still playing the hard-core games. I like getting games I can play for years. I'll link in youtube trailers.

The Long Dark (https://youtu.be/diRPolJzmjc) So far my fav choice this year. A more realistic survival game, I can see this getting attention all year. I've spent countless hours out irl wilderness, so naturally appeals to me. Older reviews don't do it justice, the modern version is pretty challenging starting out.

Ducati World Championshit ... meh not linking trailer, it's fail wont even run. I wanted an older GP race game (I have a couple already), but this one not worth a dime (was 7 dimes).

Waveform (https://youtu.be/tPCQFhekJzM) I .. I ... can't explain it ^^ it's good though. A few hours in so far, pretty challenging, nice eye candy and sound/music. This would be even nicer on a tablet PC, though great sound on desktop.

Off-road drive (https://youtu.be/yE-MHGVyrTg) Far from a new game again, and it has mixed reviews, but more irl appeal again. And actually it's a really nice sim for technicals. If I had this years ago, maybe I wouldn't have scratched and dinged my 4x so much ... or would have more :D

Gameguru (https://youtu.be/-kuvZ0zNhS4) (formerly fps creator) just another engine, one I demoed years ago. Haven't used it yet, beyond finding it was a little too much for my laptop. Just an engine to toss some of my work into and play around with. Major DX upgrade is suppose to be coming.

Windward (https://youtu.be/LhASte-REy4) Very nice little top-down 16th century naval game. I wish I could find a top-down space ship game this good, a bit like X3 or EVE. This game is in that direction though, with a bit of modest depth.

So no not a whole lot of games. I still have P99, ARMA 3, X:Rebirth and Space Engineers to play. But Dark and Windward were good additions since none of those would play on my laptop apart from P99.

This thread rated:

http://i.imgur.com/7dQXj4x.png

Pokesan
07-06-2016, 01:46 AM
zog thread

big_ole_jpn
07-06-2016, 01:55 AM
zog thread

did not read butt do agree

AzzarTheGod
07-06-2016, 02:19 AM
will jump, scramble and leapfrog to agree at the slightest mention of zog within a negative connotation.

Just as it should be.

Daywolf
07-06-2016, 02:40 AM
Wat? f-ing console nerds, git outa my PC master race thread!
...or I'll mod you into 16-bit sprites! :P

maerilith
07-06-2016, 02:44 AM
will jump, scramble and leapfrog to agree at the slightest mention of zog within a negative connotation.

Just as it should be.

At least LeapFrog has a small chance to increase the capacity of the test subject to comprehend abstract concepts.

http://i.imgur.com/i2BuItz.gif

Daywolf
07-06-2016, 04:35 AM
Picked up a couple of smaller indie titles but definitely spent less this time around.

Didnt bite on XCOM 2 or Fallout 4 in the end. I really want to play both but I might catch them slightly cheaper in the Christmas sale maybe. In essence, not in any rush. I'm great for picking titles up and then just logging into p99 or something else I already own and keeping them to the side.
Yep same, I was mainly trying to find indie titles. I must have spent over 16hrs the past week searching through steam and looking at youtube vids. Every year there are just more and more games, many really being more worthy of free flash game sites. Not a big prob, just steam needs better search tools imo. But I'd be happy just not to get hacked this year lol

Sure, Bethesda is or was one of my fav AAA publishers, ever since morrowind launched. But since ESO, I'm a bit more cautious to buy their titles if even a hint of the negative. I know I eventually will get fallout 4, but yeah not yet. It might get better though, just like skyrim improved with expansions, though it was stellar at launch of course.

I'm watching No Man's Sky, too. Will it be a genre revolution? I think it was on pre-release sale, but I'm hoping for a demo test while I squeeze the life out of my PC waiting for the next gen architecture which will be significant (memory speed). Then there is a rumor of X4 by Egosoft in the spirit of X3:Terran Conflict O.O (https://youtu.be/oALxLNOhI6I) /me presumed dead :D

Baler
07-06-2016, 08:09 AM
It is just the sales that happen all year long. They're all just in 1 week at the same time.

Steam sales are nice,. but I think they should and could be better. Especially for people from countries where video games are very expensive.

Daywolf
07-07-2016, 10:08 PM
It is just the sales that happen all year long. They're all just in 1 week at the same time.

Steam sales are nice,. but I think they should and could be better. Especially for people from countries where video games are very expensive.
Seems to depend on the age of the game, and whether there is a newer version of the game out. I saw some good 70-90% sales on games 3-6 years old, and greater savings than other sales during the year on some games. Anyway, I don't think steam sets the price. I've never submitted anything there, but I'm sure there are forms to fill out which include what's expected from sale pricing.

Safon
07-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Wasteland 2 - Return to true Fallout form and revival of the classic Wasteland

Pillars of Eternity - Revival of epic isometric RPG's in the Baldur's Gate vein

Crusader Kings 2 Complete - Fantastic Middle Ages Simulator

The Curious Expedition - Great indie exploration game

Gift Copy of X-Com: Enemy Unknown/Within sent - Great, if dumbed down revival of the X-Com franchise

Fractured Space Pack - Space/Capital Ship themed MOBA, EA, very promising

Homeworld Remastered Franchise - Another classic, redone for the modern age, given a ton of TLC and polish

Civilization 5 Complete - At 92 percent off, taking price from 130$ to around like 10$, can't argue

and no, these big sales are not just rehashes of sales available all year round, some of the sales offered by their devs are, yes, but many are specific to these big steam sales

and yes, pc master race 4ever

big_ole_jpn
07-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Civilization 5 Complete - At 92 percent off, taking price from 130$ to around like 10$, can't argue

Plz no. As it shipped, civ 5 was a total scam. Definitely not a $130 value by any stretch although I do like the game now.

pickled_heretic
07-08-2016, 04:09 PM
vanilla civ 5 had the worst ai of any civ i have ever played

i am, in fact, including civ 1 in this, where the ai was practically nonexistant

big_ole_jpn
07-08-2016, 04:13 PM
vanilla civ 5 had the worst ai of any civ i have ever played

i am, in fact, including civ 1 in this, where the ai was practically nonexistant

The AI is still complete shit at winning combat. Deity is only difficult because they can produce units at a rate of like 8 to 1 of yours -- yet they're so stupid that it's winnable.

But yeah, it has improved from complete lobotomy alpha mode.

AzzarTheGod
07-08-2016, 04:18 PM
I prefer my pixelated Castles II by the legendary developer and publishing house Interplay. Great Random Number Generator system for combat, extra units just meant extra DPS and additional dice rolls. Simple AI system feels good man.

Man Interplay were the dawgs dawg. What yall know about that?

Too bad I forgot how to use Dosbox properly and what commands it takes to execute the game.

big_ole_jpn
07-08-2016, 04:23 PM
I prefer my pixelated Castles II by the legendary developer and publishing house Interplay. Great Random Number Generator system for combat, extra units just meant extra DPS and additional dice rolls. Simple AI system feels good man.

Man Interplay were the dawgs dawg. What yall know about that?

Too bad I forgot how to use Dosbox properly and what commands it takes to execute the game.

Just torrent it and there'll be a .bat that do it, that's how I ran it after you last mentioned c2. Also ya interplay was dope, so many top tier games it's off the chain.

AzzarTheGod
07-08-2016, 04:26 PM
What sucks about the torrent/pirated (last I recalled)

Is the cutscenes weren't ripped from the CD. So theres supposed to be immersive cutscenes from a King Henry movie that we don't get to experience during diplomatic encounters. I only remember the cutscenes because I owned the original game in 1998.

I like to play C2 as psycho as possible, holding donw the right mouse button indefinitely. And see if I can still win. Its a nice zero-commitment game you can just load up and go psycho on without stressing over anything then X it out and do it again next week.

I think its cute how the pirated version still has that oldschool security check to see if you actually bought the box/CD and it asks a question to see if you actually owned the manual that came with the box....much hipster, very neat.

big_ole_jpn
07-08-2016, 04:28 PM
O shit, yeah that's true. The version I pirated was like 20mb.

AzzarTheGod
07-08-2016, 04:32 PM
O shit, yeah that's true. The version I pirated was like 20mb.

its reel hipster certified too, from like a 1950's movie (don't care to look it up I just remember that the movie was old as fuck which was what made it cool that they used real classic movie footage).

AzzarTheGod
07-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Also ya interplay was dope, so many top tier games it's off the chain.

These nerds will deepthroat Bethesda but not pay any respect to the founding fathers of the games Bethesda makes.

Interplay created every single IP that Bethesda profits off of.

Bethesda Softworks sued Interplay in 2009, regarding the Fallout Online license and selling of Fallout Trilogy and sought an injunction to stop development of Fallout Online and sales of Fallout Trilogy. After several trials spanning almost three years, and in exchange for 2 million dollars, Interplay gave to Bethesda full rights for Fallout Online. Interplay's rights to sell and merchandise Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel expired on December 31, 2013.

Yall nerds pay Interplay 2 play Fallout games.

pickled_heretic
07-08-2016, 05:02 PM
i have an actual castles 2 cd in a cd binder. might have to bust that out since I've been on an old games binge recently.

I can always go back to master of magic / master of orion II though. I always keep those two installed.

big_ole_jpn
07-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Yall nerds pay Interplay 2 play Fallout games.

Dam, reminds me of Dre & Eazy. well except Dre was able to produce at least 2 passable albums

AzzarTheGod
07-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Apparently its been taken over by indy developers as abandoned ware. Full CD version operational to execute on Windows 7+.

https://www.gog.com/game/castles_castles_2

Big J you said your version was 20 megs? What ya know about 420 megs of features dawg including live footage of historical castle tours and their designs? Along with full voice acting for all encounters. Cop that.

Hearing 1991 voice actors in a PC RPG is well worth the price of admission.

Genre:
Strategy - Building - Historical

Works on:
Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10) and Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Languages:
Audio and text: English

Features:
single-player

Released:
January 2, 1991

Size:
421 MB

Company:
Quicksilver Software / Interplay

Rating:
ESRB Rating: Everyone (with Mild Violence)

AzzarTheGod
07-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Dam, reminds me of Dre & Eazy. well except Dre was able to produce at least 2 passable albums

Truuuu *2chainz voice*

Bethesda lawyerquested their success, after having spent a decade not inventing a single original thought, they were quite furious, bitter, plain ol' angry that non-zogs were being hogs.

Like a p99 raid nerd they demanded someone give them something because they said so with an embarrassingly flimsy claim to the IP. An argument only a zog-collaborator would be allowed to make before a zog judge.

Ahh the 90's...a time when all you needed was a good zog lawyer to start a business, talented entrepreneurs need not apply.

This zog methodology was bound to carry over into the new millennium. I read a statistic somewhere that something like 85%+ of all wealth transfer and wealth creation is litigated in a courtroom. Literally every single entrepreneur worth over 200M has successfully sued someone for their success. I researched this a bit and it seems 100% accurate.

Eye-opening. What zog doesn't want you to know.