PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Damage Over Time Spells

Curmudgen
01-03-2011, 01:11 AM
I have read on several different forums and at different times in the EQ lifespan that to get "Full Effect" from dots that the mob has to be stationary or feared. If those conditions are not met there is a % shaved off the dot.

However on this server as a Necro and Shaman I have had multitudes of DoTs on mobs with some of them chasing me, some of them feared by me, some of them standing and meleeing with me and some rooted by me. I have never seen any difference in the numbers scrolling by for each tic. The damage numbers seen are the same, the mobs are finished in about the same time.

So what gives with this? Is this an EQ myth? If I use a parser doesnt it use the scrolling numbers to parse, so if they dont change how can you tell if there is a difference between "full" and "nonfull" dots?

utenan
01-03-2011, 01:17 AM
I have never heard of this

Tovin
01-03-2011, 01:17 AM
This is true, but it didn't get implemented until later (After Kunark launch for sure, maybe even after SoV). Purpose was to reduce the effectiveness of kiting.

One Tin Soldier
01-03-2011, 11:23 AM
I just barely remember something about this but not the timeline of when it happened. I recall something (probably from patch updates) about when they nerfed dots in this way. And then I'm pretty sure they changed it back later on.

quellren
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
This is true, but it didn't get implemented until later (After Kunark launch for sure, maybe even after SoV). Purpose was to reduce the effectiveness of kiting.

This. I'm almost certain this was implemented sometime in Kunark. I remember a great outcry from the druid community at some point.
IIRC if the mob is chasing you DoTs did half damage.

guineapig
01-03-2011, 03:00 PM
This. I'm almost certain this was implemented sometime in Kunark. I remember a great outcry from the druid community at some point.
IIRC if the mob is chasing you DoTs did half damage.

I've always found it to be more efficient (and safer) to root rot as a druid.
And if you are quad kiting your not using dots anyway.

I would say necros should have had the biggest gripe with this.

On a side note, does anyone know if this effected bard songs at all? I've never read anything either way about it.

Asher
01-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I may be mistaken but I believe this is the same time they nerfed Bard's chant DoTs and this didn't happen until after PoP iirc.

Bards also had the range on their charms nerfed at the same time iirc but this was another issue.

Asher

astuce999
01-03-2011, 03:10 PM
used to be a lot worse than that, back in the day, only one type of dot was allowed on a mob from any player character.

Example, if druid1 cast drifting death on a mob, no one would be able to stack any other drifting death, nor any stinging swarm or creeping crud.

It made the stacking of DoT's on raid mobs an impossibility.

It was when they allowed stacking of dots eventually that they tried to (initially) come up with some sort of balancing by reducing the damage a mob would take by 1/3rd if it was moving (except for bard dots, since they never ended up stacking anyway).

I asked about this many months ago and never got a reply from a dev, only from other players on what they thought, and you can all guess what classes answered what, hehe.

'stuce

guineapig
01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
(except for bard dots, since they never ended up stacking anyway).

Just curious what you mean by this? What about bard dots not stacking?

astuce999
01-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Only one bard gets to sing chant dots on a mob, the 2nd bard's chant dots will just bounce off or overwrite if higher level, where as currently 2 druids can both stack drifting death on a mob with no problem.

guineapig
01-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Only one bard gets to sing chant dots on a mob, the 2nd bard's chant dots will just bounce off or overwrite if higher level, where as currently 2 druids can both stack drifting death on a mob with no problem.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Daldaen
01-04-2011, 02:51 PM

But check if 2 druids can stack immolation. No they can not, and that is due to it sharing a debuff slot (AC/Fire Resist).

All Bard chants have a debuff to resists, hence them not stacking.

Rasah
01-04-2011, 03:02 PM
where as currently 2 druids can both stack drifting death on a mob with no problem.Is this true? I only ask because a few days ago I was kiting a Hill Giant in NK, and another druid poured his/her dots on it. (He/she was over 44, I was not). When my Drones of Doom wore off, I tried to re-cast it, and it said I could not. I assumed it was because the other druid had stacked all their dots and I couldn't overwrite because theirs was higher. Based on that, I assumed they didn't stack.

quellren
01-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I would say necros should have had the biggest gripe with this.

I never said that necros didn't feel the sting. They just had a workaround because feared mobs weren't subjected to the same DoT penalty.
Alot of necros preferred this anyway (and some still do) because It allowed them to med and watch the fight rather than run and hope the pet doesn't steal aggro back