PDA

View Full Version : New Headset

Rogean
12-31-2010, 09:43 PM
k, I need a new headset cause my Plantronics GameComPro1, that I've been using for like 5 years (not the same one but I got a new one as needed) is discontinued.

So, obviously needs to be good for gaming (FPS), and music (I listen to a lot of damn music). So I need suggestions.

Newegg only.

Go~

purist
12-31-2010, 10:11 PM
What's your budget for this?

Rogean
12-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Don't worry about budget.

Zereh
12-31-2010, 10:46 PM
I had some Sennheiser's that I loved but I broke them. :mad: I don't see the model I used on NewEgg since I purchased them about four years ago or so. So though I can't make a recommendation on a model, I can say that they make a quality product.

Alkorin
12-31-2010, 10:50 PM
If you use a computer to listen to most of your music, these are pretty decent:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104227&cm_re=logitech_wireless_headset-_-26-104-227-_-Product

I admit, I'd question anything that says it uses "laser-tuned drivers". Still, they have really decent sound, and no wires to get in the way.

Rogean
12-31-2010, 11:15 PM
I should probably mention I prefer Circumaural.

Zereh
12-31-2010, 11:34 PM

/bonk Pick your own out then! So fussy ~

Hasbinbad
01-01-2011, 07:13 AM
I've been wanting to talk my headset up for a while lol.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153043&cm_re=razer_headset-_-26-153-043-_-Product

Razer Carcharias

..so I just bought this headset, it was on sale for 69.99 at best buy, but I would buy it again at 79.99 any day of the week. This is by FAR the best headset I have ever owned, in every arena it beats out every other 40-60 dollar mistake I've ever made. I'm not really a razer person, and when I saw that it had velourish material on the ear cuffs, I was even more turned off. ..but when I actually started using them, the difference is crazy dope. I love it and would hate to go back to anything else. Anyway.. Let me see if I can sum up..

Pros:
Decent* headset stereo sound (not a surround headset)
Most comfortable headset I've ever had - ever had ear craps from wearing a cheap headset for 3-4 hours straight?? Doesn't happen with these
-soft headrest
-velvety ear ring
-lightweight, but solid feeling
-easily adjustable
Cloth-wrapped cord
Useful clip, best design and placement of one of those clips i have seen, and it will clip on almost anything
Decent mic
"Looks good"

Cons:
Decent* headset stereo sound

*Decent means "good enough to enjoy digital music on." I was previously an audio technician, so I know quite a bit about how sound should sound. I listen to a fairly wide variety of music, from bassy rap/club music, to metal, to jazz, and Irish folk music. It all sounds as good as the mp3 as far as quality, and has really good response in all major frequency fields without any major harmonic "issues." I have heard BETTER sound out of $300 sony stereo monitor headphones, but it's not THAT much better. I have head LOUDER sound out of several cheaper headsets, but they were distorted at higher level, or had some serious tonal degradation when the magnets started being asked to work for a living.

http://www.pccasegear.com/UserFiles/charcarias-main.jpg

odizzido
01-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I used a platronics headset for about as long as you did and mine broke a few weeks ago.

I ended up getting a pair of corsair HS1s and have been very happy with them so far. I can hear things in songs/games I couldn't before.

mitic
01-12-2011, 06:08 AM
ok, since i prefer having my audio via loudspeakers i just need a headset with a mic and wireless for vent.

any ideas?

Harrison
01-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Razer is my favorite peripheral manufacturer. This mouse I bought more years ago than I really remember is still performing perfectly and has survived my rough FPS treatment of it that no other mouse has before.

Crone
01-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Does anyone else have the issue that their ears get really really hot when wearing a headset that fully covers the ears? :(

Wife got me a pair of headphones, the plantronics gamecom377. They have cloth on the ears, and fully cover the ear. They sound great, and the mic works really well, but after just a few minutes my ears start heating up and it becomes really uncomfortable. :(

Here's a link, as they are really good, but I don't think over the ear headphones work out really well for me personally.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Plantronics+-+GameCom+377+Over-the-Head+Stereo+Headset/8978403.p?id=1218004379967&skuId=8978403&st=plantronics&contract_desc=null

mimixownzall
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM

All I read was:

I should mention Iprefer Cum

korrowan
01-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I only wear high quality ear buds.. headsets are soo 2001.

mimixownzall
01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826402071

These are awesome.

Shannacore
01-13-2011, 06:32 PM
that's not a headset

just fyi

Chanus
01-13-2011, 06:36 PM
$600 for headphones?

Do they come with handjobs for life?

A midget to serve you beer?

Peatree
01-13-2011, 06:45 PM
$600 for headphones?

That's a 10 pack of $69 headphones -- note the 10PK....but I think I'd rather have the handjobs for life and a midget to serve me beer...that seems like a bargain for $600!:eek:

Chanus
01-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Well, okay... I guess if it's a 10pk.

I guess if I had 20 ears. :P

Valakut
01-13-2011, 07:03 PM
i have had the best success with plantronics brand over the past decade.

the mic is always the first part of the headset to go so what i recommend is a basic desktop microphone from $5-$20 these have always lasted me at least one year minimum which i cannot say the same about any brand of headset mic

honestly if i was in your shoes right now with no budget i would get a basic desktop mic and a nice pair of hd audio headphones but not sure what kind of sound card you got or what preouts you have on the front/back of your box but it could be a good time to upgrade sound card to hd audio now too. also before i had an uninteruptable power supply i did lose a couple soundblasters during storms. you cant go wrong with digital audio though if you got the money.

mimixownzall
01-13-2011, 10:30 PM
that's not a headset

just fyi

I just went on there and found the most expensive things on the list that were in stock.

Doeboy
01-13-2011, 11:23 PM
If you don't care to have a mic then sennheiser HD-25. They WILL not break and if they do you can replace the part.

Those plantronics and razors are pieces of shit compared to these.

I've worked in audio for 15 years and I'm very anal about headphones. Maybe I'm not the best to ask for advice on this on second thought heheh.

Edit: what I meant by that is I need great fidelity in a noisy environment.

Hasbinbad
01-14-2011, 07:40 AM
$600 for headphones?

$4000-6000 (*IF* you can find them)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y151/overlunge/MDR-R10/MRD-R10_0006.jpg

Hasbinbad
01-14-2011, 07:46 AM
If you don't care to have a mic then sennheiser HD-25. They WILL not break and if they do you can replace the part.

Those plantronics and razors are pieces of shit compared to these.

I've worked in audio for 15 years and I'm very anal about headphones. Maybe I'm not the best to ask for advice on this on second thought heheh.

Edit: what I meant by that is I need great fidelity in a noisy environment.
Dude, he wants a headset, not a pro audio personal monitor.. Honestly, around the $300 price point, sennheisers are shit compared to sony monitors, hd25 are not orpheus man - u suggesting he spend $800+ on a set of headphones that he has to buy an outboard mic for too? Lol.. ..give me a good old set of MDR 7506 over some sennheiser overpriced crap any day, and if you REALLY want the dopeness, get the 7509HD, or wait for the 7520. Also, you can repair and replace parts on the razer, most of the set is fastened with actual screws, not molded plastic.. I've worked in audio a lot too, and as you notice in my post i rate these below pro monitors, but seriously, if you call them shit, you're ignorant, because they are not shit, they are high quality for the price. Nobody is saying they are for pro audio dude, but that's NOT what this thread is about. Sorry to come off like a dick, but you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, trashing what I said. Look, I KNOW what you're talking about as far as normal headsets (like plantronics, and perhaps other razer models) but the Carcharias is a dope buy for 1.) decent quality audio, EXCELLENT audio for the price 2.) comfort 3.) useability 4.) overall quality of voice comms. Word to ya mama.

Doeboy
01-14-2011, 09:12 AM
I called them shit because you will be replacing them in a few years time. Mark my fucking words. I would also argue that altec, razor, etc are overpriced as well. The 50-100 market is full of overpriced shit.

And they are not $300, or $800 (I don't know where you were going with that). They cost me, from partsexpress, $194 shipped.

Also, I'm not expecting him to do anything. i thought that maybe he did not know that there are outside options to what I consider the over-priced PC headset market. I'm pretty sure he stipulated that he wanted opinions.

HD25's are considered entry level pro-audio monitors. I use them for everything. They are simply badass general purpose headphones, imo.

Buy them or don't. I don't give a fuck. Argue which are better, I don't give a fuck.

Hasbinbad
01-14-2011, 01:38 PM
I like turtles.

Chanus
01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Somebody mad

RocketMoose
01-14-2011, 03:59 PM
I know you want a headset, but if you really want to listen to quality music, AND be able to talk, you should buy some good headphones and one of the mics that you can clip onto the headphone wire.

At this point there is no such thing as wireless headphones that live up to the audio quality of wired phones. Many people like earbuds, but personally for me nothing can give the same feel as a nice semi-open set of OTEs.

BeyerDynamic 770s/880s/990s depending on if you prefer closed, semi-open, or open design are right at the top of bang for your buck audio quality. Being a studio engineer I don't enjoy listening to anything that doesn't have fantastic quality, so it's worth the extra coin to me. (got mine for 264 for a pair of the 880s (semi-opens))

I use my Logitech mic and it works just fine, on my laptop I just use the built in mic and it works just fine. But if you really want a quality mic to go with it, there are some pretty good quality 'clip ons' that can be purchased fairly cheap.

RocketMoose
01-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I called them shit because you will be replacing them in a few years time. Mark my fucking words. I would also argue that altec, razor, etc are overpriced as well. The 50-100 market is full of overpriced shit.

And they are not $300, or $800 (I don't know where you were going with that). They cost me, from partsexpress, $194 shipped.

Also, I'm not expecting him to do anything. i thought that maybe he did not know that there are outside options to what I consider the over-priced PC headset market. I'm pretty sure he stipulated that he wanted opinions.

HD25's are considered entry level pro-audio monitors. I use them for everything. They are simply badass general purpose headphones, imo.

Buy them or don't. I don't give a fuck. Argue which are better, I don't give a fuck.

These are quality, but I hate on the ear style headphones. I also prefer open design to closed, because if I really want to be cut off from everyone I'll just use my custom in-ears. But that's just me. But the HD25s offer good quality for cost.

Doeboy
01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
BeyerDynamic 770s/880s/990s depending on if you prefer closed, semi-open, or open design are right at the top of bang for your buck audio quality. Being a studio engineer I don't enjoy listening to anything that doesn't have fantastic quality, so it's worth the extra coin to me. (got mine for 264 for a pair of the 880s (semi-opens))

Thumbs up for the 770's. Only had about 2 mins on them. Great choice.

Crone
01-14-2011, 08:32 PM
My ears get super hot whenever I wear totally over the ear headphones. Is there alternatives if I want some rocking booming base that blows your socks off? I hate ear buds. I blow them out within minutes while I jamming on my ipod.

L2Phantom
01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Sennheiser PC350's are nice. Crystal clear mic, comfortable around the ears, high quality sound, great reviews. Check them out.

Reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-350-Collapsible-Microphone/dp/B0012XFDWO

Pyrocat
01-15-2011, 07:38 PM
k, I need a new headset cause my Plantronics GameComPro1, that I've been using for like 5 years (not the same one but I got a new one as needed) is discontinued.

I was wondering why I couldn't find it on Newegg :( I was looking for it to recommend to a friend.

RocketMoose
01-19-2011, 09:35 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U/ref=sr_1_15?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1295442796&sr=1-15

In terms of your question Crone, booming bass is going to be tough to get out of a headset period. I mean there's only so much tiny speakers can do in comparison to 8-10 inch subs you're prolly used to listening to without headphones in. Also, in terms of blowing out ear buds, quit buying cheapys.

If you want a good high quality ear bud, that you're not going to destroy because you listen too loud, Ultimate Ears are an elite company that make some prosumer grade ear buds that will sit in ear, and blow your head off with sound. There's also Shure, anything E5 and up are generally good, but the E3s I'd stay away from. Marshall is coming out with, a pair of headphones that also have an inline mic and all of the neat little iPhone control clicks, that could be promising.

Basically in terms of audio quality, you get what you pay for. Everyone wants something for nothing, you're just not going to find it for audio stuff.