PDA

View Full Version : New Warrior On P99 Worth It? (2016)

mrchrysm
06-11-2016, 07:43 PM
Was trying to search and dig up old posts, but nothing solid.

I created a Barbarian Warrior to play with my wife's Cleric. She isn't always on so, thought I would go try to find a group.

Long and short is that I am getting a lot of feedback in the fact that new Warriors on the server just aren't worth it, and Shadow Knights are the way to go.

To be honest, some sounded like bitterness. One guy said he leveled 2 60 warriors, a Dwarf and a Dark Elf, and couldn't find groups to save his life. Another said that Shadow Knights are better for grouping than Warriors and that Warriors were only preferred at 60 IF they had raid gear.

Only issue is, I like the Dual Wield, Double Attack aspect while wearing plate.

So, is a warrior worth it on an older, already established community? If so, do I have to roll an Ogre for anyone to want me in a group? Am I over-reacting and should just play and ignore it? I don't want to have to kick myself at 60 lol.

I do not plan on raiding. Only created a Barbarian because wife made a good character. I like Iksars and Ogres, don't want to get stuck in a hallway with an Ogre lol. Also, new to server, so I don't have funds or gear.

Trungep99
06-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Play what you want and stop worrying what others told you.

Aesop
06-11-2016, 09:50 PM
Play what you want, I'll roll a handsome Erudite shadow knight and you can watch me and her duo if ur into that.

If not that's cool too.

People shouldn't have a problem with a warrior tanking and defensive is nice for a lot of one groupable content. People like SKs and stuff because they can hold aggro on people who don't otherwise know how to manage it. Really the only acceptable Barbarian is a rogue though -- should be a halfling. :cool:

RDawg816
06-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Am I over-reacting and should just play and ignore it?
Yes.

Cecily
06-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Play what you want, I'll roll a handsome Erudite shadow knight and you can watch me and her duo if ur into that.

If not that's cool too.

loled

cdawgz28
06-11-2016, 11:06 PM
I have a 60 Sk and a 39 war... They both cool... If You would rather do more damage go warrior... It's tough but find someone to take u to dn and get a rotting infestation. Really good agro wep that procs at level ten or fifteen I think.

100percentanon
06-11-2016, 11:23 PM
are you the guy that was complaining in ooc today in crushbone?

I vote play what you want. Barb warriors are fashion quest champions.

mrchrysm
06-12-2016, 12:51 AM
are you the guy that was complaining in ooc today in crushbone?

I vote play what you want. Barb warriors are fashion quest champions.

No, I wasn't complaining, some other guy was, which is why I started thinking about it. I just OOC'd for a group and here came the wave of bitterness lol. I would have shrugged it off but, just curious since I have had more than 1 person tell me that.

What does fashion quest champions mean?

Spit
06-12-2016, 12:57 AM
Sks fucking suck warriors are strong in velious but play what you want

Colgate
06-12-2016, 01:12 AM
make an iksar warrior, or better yet an iksar monk; monks duo well with clerics, don't require nearly as much gear, and tank better than warriors

shadow knight is the undisputed worst PvE class in the game, whereas warrior is one of the best and most important, especially at endgame

shadow knights are better for shitty groups and/or groups with shitty players

Xaanka
06-12-2016, 03:11 AM
Warrior is the worst tank class sub-60
Warrior is the best tank class at 60 or for raiding, paladins are buff bots and SK's are the worst pve class
Monk is a good middle ground between being good while leveling and being good tanks at 60

I mained a half-elf warrior 1-60 when everquest came out back when nobody knew anything about the game and everything was hard-mode. No regrets it was fun as hell.

username17
06-12-2016, 08:39 AM
^ Is pmuch what I was going to say. Most people would probably say if you're not planning on hitting 60 or raiding don't roll a Warrior.
If you want to dual wield and tank... Roll a Ranger?
/hides

aaezil
06-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Are you having fun playing your character?

Then it is the right class/race for you.

People will whine about everything

Trungep99
06-13-2016, 08:31 AM
also dont listen to the haters over knight classes. knights are useful too, but warriors are the best for raid tanking.

but stick with what you want the most.

Jimjam
06-14-2016, 03:43 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about a 'new' character being bad, because if you stick with it long enough it will eventually be an 'old' character.

You can have fun levelling and gearing up a warrior from scratch, especially if you have someone regular to play with (which it sounds like you do). That said you might have more fun with a different class.

You mention sometimes you will play with your missus, and other times not. Be careful with this as you don't want to outlevel her by too much.

Have you considered rolling two characters? One to play with her (and keep a similar level) and another to play in pick up groups/solo when she is not available?

Pyrion
06-14-2016, 07:03 AM
Also consider ranger. Granted, its not as sturdy as a warrior, but you get a lot of utility for that loss. For most group content a decently geared ranger can tank good enough. Also, snap aggro is arguably even easier to get than for knights (snare/flame lick). And you get dual wield/double attack.

Izmael
06-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Fashionquest-wise, Dark Elf SK in full plate and epic is hard to beat IMO.

We all know it's all about the looks. Don't lie to yourself.

Seriously, though... If you plan on playing hardcore and raiding and becoming a top tank in a raiding guild, go warrior for sure. Otherwise, play whatever you think is more fun (SK a lot more fun than warrior in my book for about 82717628673 reasons, but it's a matter of personal preference).

Unless you're planning on tanking a raid encounter, you don't need defensive disc.

SK gets snap aggro, FD, invis, good pulling, snare, fear, kickass epic, lots of rotting gear if you join a raiding guild, a pet, summon corpse, lifetaps, using the CoS... I'm probably missing things.

Warrior gets defensive disc, better DPS and better damage mitigation.

Izmael
06-14-2016, 10:39 AM
Oh and if you plan on duoing... Troll shaman + Troll SK is a combo which is hard to beat.

Ivory
06-14-2016, 11:08 AM
Gnome warriors....are the best! And cute! And gnomes! And warriors!

Crawdad
06-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Play what you want and don't over think it. If you focus on being the 'best' race/class and not what you want, you'll just burn out.

Warriors are pretty gear dependent but people have made it to 50/60 in bronze, so you can too. If you have a hard time keeping aggro make someone root and stand closest to it.

You've got a pocket cleric so you're 2/3rds of the way there!

Jauna
06-14-2016, 05:22 PM
As for "being too late" to the server, lots of folks are running around with their twinks just rolling over damage and agro even pulling from some low-mid level untwinked Knights. As a newcomer to a pretty damn established 6-7 year old server while rolling a warrior which is the most gear dependent class in the game. Its going to be very very very frustrating if you plan on tanking, because otherwise you will be a spare DPS while all the rogues, monks, rangers and casters pull off of you without even trying.

So if ya got yourself some thick skin about not being able to hold agro most of the time, being a warriors alright.