PDA

View Full Version : necro melee?!?

kuuky
06-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Hey since a tola robe gives 36% haste and using a weapon like a velium crystal staff, since we can snare, can a necro fear melee kite (using a pet as well) decently at say lvl 20+ or is it too time consuming/risky? If not why is there a haste robe anyhow?

Tupakk
06-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Battle casters unite!!

Trollhide
06-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Sure you can, but it's gonna be a whole lot more effective to just sit, med, and cast more spells instead of poking it with a stick

RDawg816
06-05-2016, 05:56 PM
On live, I twinked a wizard with full hp/mana gear, a tola robe and a nice staff. With druid buffs he soloed to 20 as a melee/pbaoe wizard.

kuuky
06-05-2016, 07:16 PM
I mean like after lvl 20

RDawg816
06-05-2016, 07:39 PM
I mean like after lvl 20
It helps you proc to OT. It's useful if you melee lower level mobs or your friends..just for funsies.
I tanked mobs on my wizard post 60, but we had an awesome cleric and I used all my mana blowing the mobs up. I had better gear than a tola robe though, so that isn't relevant to your scenario. 😆

srgraham69
06-05-2016, 07:56 PM
Just run to tov and pick up a rotting staff of the silent stars, and join ur pet going straight up ham on some stuff!

Lojik
06-05-2016, 10:00 PM
If you can get a RoA maybe

beel
06-06-2016, 06:01 AM
It helps you proc to OT.

Haste does not increase proc chance. In fact it actually decreases proc chance per swing in order to make proc chance over time stay equal to unhasted.

RDawg816
06-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Haste does not increase proc chance.
It helps me just fine. RNG either is on your side or it's not. The more swings, the more chances you have to get that lucky roll...

delfi
06-06-2016, 06:57 AM
The more swings, the more chances you have to get that lucky roll...

He's trying to explain to you that this is not how procing in this game is coded. Like math.

And OP, it would be worth it if you proc a lot probably, at least in your 20s. But you probably don't have the dex to make it worthwhile, you'd just get randomly lucky some fights. I'd advise medding.

(That being said, some enchanters have shown that using a Rod of Annihilation with haste robe can be quite effective dps at times...)

beel
06-06-2016, 07:12 AM
Yeah, like math. :)

I don't think a Velium Crystal Staff would make any sense on a caster level 20+. I geared out a monk with 2 VCSs and 190 DEX. At level 30 the procs parsed in at about 4 DPS while the melee damage was about 15 DPS.

Rod of Annihilation is the ultimate toy for sure... I'd love to level an enc with one.

RDawg816
06-06-2016, 08:16 AM
I am aware how math works. I'm also aware how procs work on P99. I'm not going to waste my time discussing this with you, however. :)

delfi
06-06-2016, 08:17 AM
lawl

trite
06-06-2016, 10:43 AM
It helps me just fine. RNG either is on your side or it's not. The more swings, the more chances you have to get that lucky roll...

No, the guy who said haste doesn't effect proc rate is right. Procs occur on a per minute basis based on how much dex you have....it isn't a random chance every swing.....

trite
06-06-2016, 10:45 AM
About why the robe has haste

The robe can be used by enchanters (and other pet classes if you want but you won't get the robe back) to give their pets haste....my enchanter has one for this purpose. I can get pet to haste cap with this robe and epic cilcky

Also the only weapon that should be considered using this in conjunction with as a level 20 necro is rod of annihilation!

Nagash
06-06-2016, 05:09 PM
Short answer: can you? Yes. Is it worth it? No, unless you do it for fun.

kuuky
06-06-2016, 07:10 PM
So if I was to give a tola robe to my pet (35 chanter here) how do i get it back?

RDawg816
06-06-2016, 08:06 PM
So if I was to give a tola robe to my pet (35 chanter here) how do i get it back?
It has to be a charmed pet. It has to not die to an npc. You have to be the one to loot it.

kuuky
06-06-2016, 10:34 PM
I did not realize you can loot back the stuff you give the charmed pets.
Thanks for the info. It really opens up the charming aspect. Which I really enjoy doing.

delfi
06-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Not all charmed pets will return items when you kill them as a warning. Vendors and quest npcs both won't give back items I believe.

username17
06-08-2016, 02:06 AM
I have a 10 wizard with a Tola Robe and Velium Crystal Staff. I threw some basic DEX JC stuff on him and gave it a shot. I solo'd to 10 with it. When it does proc it's insta kill. But because my dex was only ~100 it didn't proc a ton. It's fun when it procs but otherwise you're better off nuking.
If I could've afforded a RoA I would've done that.

Nuggie
06-12-2016, 04:16 AM
Not worth melee'ing as a necro above low levels. except for fun, as noted in previous posts.

proc chance increases if you, or a friend, land a slow on you. people used to plvl melee's by slowing them and having them use earthshaker or some such pbaoe weapon before bard plvling became so popular.

See this post for pet kits:
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195625&highlight=charm

note: dont use torches or non weapon items to force dual wielding anymore. nilbog nerfed that.

Ivory
06-17-2016, 02:24 AM
I played a melee necro till 51.....soloing mostly....and it is powerful, very powerful. I could outtank my pet easily the entire time (by far).

1 ) Focus on AC items, as much AC as you can. Rings, 12 ac mask, everything. The goal is to maximize your damage mitigation as much as possible.

2 ) Focus on Dex items 2nd. Vampiric embrace for necros is much stronger than SKs. Having high dex and access to other proc weapons (such as staff of undead legion, 600 undead dd) is powerful.

3 ) Get a good melee weapon! I eventually gave my necro a heavy velium brawl stick....which actually does some decent damage.

When things hurt too much, just back up a second and cast your lifetap (since you are primarily focused on using mana to self-heal and damage with lifetaps, you won't have much agro and pets can get it off of you at any time).

With screaming terror you can solo 2 or 3 dark blues at level 50 without trouble. Pet + Necro melee = pretty nice.

The problem I found was after 50 my ability to tank started to wane. Stuff was just hitting for a lot more. Then again, a lot of my armor is getting dated....so I think if I were able to find a good jump in AC again I could manage it.

Troxx
06-17-2016, 03:26 PM

That's not how it works.

It's a set proc per minute. The lower your delay the lower your chance to proc per swing. Having haste of any sort makes you less likely to proc per swing. This is why warriors after luclin would have slow cast themselves when using an earthshaker to AOE 'shakerpage'.

Tola does not make you more likely to Proc OT hammer.

It doesn't make you less likely per unit time either.

Ivory
06-17-2016, 03:31 PM
This is why warriors after luclin would have slow cast themselves when using an earthshaker to AOE 'shakerpage'.

That is dumb, because it still remains the same procs per minute overall.

The "procs per minute" is just an average over a longer period of time. You can proc 6 times in a row....or go a while without any procs. It is just a percentage chance per swing that is effected by your haste.

Troxx
06-17-2016, 03:54 PM
That is dumb, because it still remains the same procs per minute overall.

The "procs per minute" is just an average over a longer period of time. You can proc 6 times in a row....or go a while without any procs. It is just a percentage chance per swing that is effected by your haste.

Rampage ability was a one shot aoe ability where you got ONE swing on all mobs around you. The weapon proc'd a pbaoe. If you took off your haste item and got slowed, your chance per swing (and you got one swing per target) to proc was almost guaranteed mathematically with high dex.

Pull 100 mobs, click rampage, 100 swings (one to each mob) and 100 procs ... each of the 100 mobs getting hit by the proc 100x. Doing it back in the day was a blast. When you hit rampage on the swarm it would take your computer and the server nearly 20 seconds to process it all. If you found the right place, a warrior could actually get aa xp'd pretty fast in some areas of luclin. Mob hp was too high to pull it off in PoP.

It's not dumb, it's math ... And that's how the game works.