PDA

View Full Version : What the hell just happened to me?

DMN
06-01-2016, 01:38 AM
Dinking around going EXP, suddenly i crash out of the game just as i send my pet after my next target. I had not cast a spell yet (unrelated side note:this is not classic either, if you LD when you send pet you should not get aggroed when pet dies my pet should have been able to tank long enough for the LD flag... aanyway). I cannot log into the server at all and assume the server crashed. I try loading up the various p99 pages and not (wiki and message boards)one of them will pull up for me on the internet, yet every other internet non p99 site worked just fine that i tried 8 or 9 of my first bookmarks all worked.

Then i log back in and my corpse is not where it should - it would have died where i was pulling at, instead my corpse was quite a ways away from that spot.. It was found in my safe meditation spot, NOT where i pull from. I asked in zone if everyone crashed or the server crashed and everyone i talked to said no.

What in the hell???

Daywolf
06-01-2016, 07:08 AM
Lag most likely. Some server between you and p99 farted out. Likely happened while at your corpse pos. Lots of packet loss, it tried to recover, but the client got confused and crashed/errored out. You probably did manage to get your pet to attack though, but not from where you thought you were.

DMN
06-01-2016, 08:01 AM
That might be likely... if this were the 1990s. But it isnt.

gildor
06-01-2016, 08:33 AM
But the game you are playing is, the way an everquest server handles incoming/outgoing packets is the same as it was back in .....

Dillian
06-01-2016, 08:37 AM
or someone ddosing him. You piss anyone off recently?

Thulack
06-01-2016, 08:42 AM
That might be likely... if this were the 1990s. But it isnt.

Its happened before. Ive had issues when i cant log in and p99 website wouldnt load. You are literally connecting to server sitting in some server farm building on the east coast. This isnt being housed at Sony or anything.

DMN
06-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Like I said, I talked to other people in other ziones and the zone I was in. none reported any problem. So it doesnt add up to a local server issue where it is hosted.

Daywolf
06-01-2016, 09:04 AM
That might be likely... if this were the 1990s. But it isnt.hmm? Ever count your server hops? I go thru at least a dozen befor p99. Servers crap out all the time in the US, especially with all the streaming from netflix etc. Some of the infrastructure making for hard-line connections through the internet was in fact made in the 90's. I know this because I built it. Get a full featured traceroute app and point it at the server, you can get opensource apps out of like sourceforge.

DMN
06-01-2016, 09:09 AM
There is no good reason exlusively I was locked out of the game and web sites for p99 for over 0 minutes straight. I kepy trying to o relog cause i had mage bags. anyway. Doesnt make any sense for a normal" intrnet/server issue.

Thulack
06-01-2016, 09:12 AM
Like I said, I talked to other people in other ziones and the zone I was in. none reported any problem. So it doesnt add up to a local server issue where it is hosted.

There is no good reason exlusively I was locked out of the game and web sites for p99 for over 0 minutes straight. I kepy trying to o relog cause i had mage bags. anyway. Doesnt make any sense for a normal" intrnet/server issue.

You obviously have no idea how the flow of packets/information works. Just trust us when we say that it can happen.

ridiculousmoose
06-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Seems hes looking for some kind of conspiracy theory...

Daywolf
06-01-2016, 09:21 AM
Your ISP doesnt have direct access to p99, it routs thru other servers. This is classic case server failure within the circuit rout, not a conspiracy ;)
Even the fact others were not having problems.
Think what you want, me gone.

DMN
06-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Again, there is no logical reason why I was the only person locked out for over 10 minutes. "trust me I does dat know abouts dem dare packets stuff" is complete BS. It also does not explain why my corpse was not where it should have been, and if the server was considering me wre my corpse was, there is no way my "pet attack command" would have even done naything.

Thulack
06-01-2016, 09:25 AM
Again, there is no logical reason why I was the only person locked out for over 10 minutes. "trust me I does dat know abouts dem dare packets stuff" is complete BS. It also does not explain why my corpse was not where it should have been, and if the server was considering me wre my corpse was, there is no way my "pet attack command" would have even done naything.

How many people were in the zone? 20-30. How many of those people do you think use the same internet company as you and live close to you? I bet 0. Your connection to P99 takes a completely different route to get to the server then the person standing next to you in the zone. Say your information travels between 10 servers before it hits the p99 server. Say the person your grouped with hits 12 servers before his info gets to p99. You might not have any servers in common between your connections and the final connection. That is why you dc while the guy next to you doesnt. You could live an hour from the p99 server and depending on how your ISP transfers info it could cross country and come back before actually getting to the correct location.

gildor
06-01-2016, 09:37 AM
ok, take off your tinfoil hat..no one is out to get you and your summoned bags..

Lets take Sally and Jimmy for example.

Sally is at point A, Jimmy is at point B..

Sally calls Jimmy for a bootycall..

Jimmy gets the message and takes off down crenshaw and vine towards Sally's apartment.

On the way, Jimmy gets stuck in traffic (lets call this latency), and tries to text Sally but Jimmy doesnt hit send, even though he is sure sent the message (this is called packetloss)..

In the meantime, Sally is waiting and dries up and Jimmy gets rustled.

You are Jimmy, you are rustled..your packets sent did not = packets recived..this story has nothing to do with what happened to your packets across the network, but clearly your Jimmy is rustled..that is the moral of the story..

DMN
06-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Good lord I'm gonna need to get drunk before reading more crap on this forum to deal with this nonsense.

What part of clicking on numerous bookmarks to other websites, rom both coasts I might add, did you not read?

If it was my local area only afected, I wouldn't havae connected to any or at least some of them, but they all popped up near instantly.

Thulack
06-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Good lord I'm gonna need to get drunk before reading more crap on this forum to deal with this nonsense.

What part of clicking on numerous bookmarks to other websites, rom both coasts I might add, did you not read?

If it was my local area only afected, I wouldn't havae connected to any or at least some of them, but they all popped up near instantly.

/sigh Learn how the internet works and come back please. Your the one causing all of us the need to get drunk. You know those "10 servers" between you and p99 i was talking about? The 9th server might be the one that went out. That server is only used by you to connect to p99 and NO other internet sites you go to...Does that make it any clearer for you or do i have to whip out my Microsoft Paint skills and draw you a picture?

DMN
06-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Kid, I forget more on the toilet than you will learn in a lifetime. If you can't exactly explain what happened then get out of my thread and go back to your miserable existence.

Daywolf
06-01-2016, 09:55 AM
"trust me I does dat know abouts dem dare packets stuff" is complete BS. It also does not explain why my corpse was not where it should have been, and if the server was considering me wre my corpse waser I'm posting again, ah well. But anyhoot, that's a tcp/ip error when it comes to packet loss. I've worked on udp/ip servers, I prefer that much better for mmo's. TCP/IP is nice and responsive, but when packets fail or come in out of order, things tend to get all squirrely before the certain drop. UDP/IP is far more forgiving, more stable, but not as responsive. It can take packets out of order, and even recover after a good deal of packet loss.

But that's not the reason, just the result. I've been at this a long time, since even before computer science and network admin in college, far from BS fur sure. Nooow I'm done here heh
Kid, I forget more on the toilet than you will learn in a lifetime. If you can't exactly explain what happened then get out of my thread and go back to your miserable existence.
Maybe you should have posted in rnf, please don't troll this forum. Thulack has it right, should listen to him.

Thulack
06-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Only did this cause i'm getting paid to. http://imgur.com/uySbQzK Notice the big red X? If that server went out only p99 would be affected for you. Get it now?

DMN
06-01-2016, 10:06 AM
The server tracks pet pathing on follow by using the loc of the controller. If the server though i was still in my med spot then my pet should not have been in rnage to to attack and enemy because accoding to the sever both of us are rather ar away.

I give zero fux about your CV, real or immagined, explain that or don't post.

Thulack
06-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Packetloss=loss of some not all packets.Packets contain information. If some of the information was getting to the server it doesnt take into account if those actions are logical it just does them.

Daywolf
06-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Oh and nobody said "local", not sure where you got that from. There is a literal string of servers between yiu and the p99 server. Bad server could be 800 miles away. Local is only your computer, where the 13yo unpatched win98 eq client crashed.

Dillian
06-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Gildor had me rolling lmao

DMN
06-06-2016, 08:06 AM
Apparently turdlick and derpwolf are convinced you can lose packet for over 30 seconds, only to find it later. I guess it was rerouted around the planet a couple of times? I miss the 90s when only half the internet was full of stupid people.

Daywolf
06-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Apparently turdlick and derpwolf are convinced you can lose packet for over 30 seconds, only to find it later. Still trollin this thread? When you set up UDP/IP it just depends on the settings, but yes it deals with late/missing packets quite well. I'm pretty sure they are running TCP/IP here though, so no, you were headed for a likely disco with all it's dirty effects. It's just the way the server code works, and better you crash than the server. Some even have been caught using cheats in this way, instantly traveling around etc. I know, I caught someone doing it one time and the GM dropped the perma-ban hammer on him (so not worth doing).

DMN
06-06-2016, 11:15 AM
When morons like you and others specifically link this thread on other threads bcausee you ar too stupid to form a cogent argument. I'm tearing that ass up. You don't like it, quit bending over and spreading your buttcheeks. This is where you apologize for being a moron or show how a packet gets lost for 30+ seconds and the miraculously gets processed by the server.

Crawdad
06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
When morons like you and others specifically link this thread on other threads bcausee you ar too stupid to form a cogent argument. I'm tearing that ass up. You don't like it, quit bending over and spreading your buttcheeks. This is where you apologize for being a moron or show how a packet gets lost for 30+ seconds and the miraculously gets processed by the server.

I don't know why myself or anyone is trying to help you after how rude you're being.

Thulack drew you an..adequate picture to illustrate how servers work. If you want to see it yourself, run a trace route from your computer to Project 1999.

Open command prompt-> type "tracert www.project1999.com" ->Look at what it spits out. If at any point in the list you see something time out, you are having a problem with that server/gateway, not necessarily Project 1999. If you want to understand everything, Read this (http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/website/how-to/read-traceroute).

I've had it happen to me a couple times. A few weeks ago I was in Unrest and went Linkdead, could barely make it to the server select screen. Couldn't go to the wiki page or Project1999 because somewhere along the lines (Atlanta for me) something was screwy.

Edit to Add: This is also classic as fudge. Just because you are going LD doesn't mean its a clean cut or that everything you're doing doesn't get sent. You'd see this during Live in packed/buggy zones hosted on crappy servers. Ssra, Trak's Teeth and Velks in particular back-in-the-day.

DMN
06-06-2016, 11:35 AM
Turdlick didn't do anything but show he's a moron. Packets don't get lost for 30 seconds only to be miraculously processed by the server later.

Crawdad
06-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Turdlick didn't do anything but show he's a moron. Packets don't get lost for 30 seconds only to be miraculously processed by the server later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_loss
During typical network congestion, not all packets in a stream are dropped. This means that undropped packets will arrive with low latency compared to retransmitted packets, which arrive with high latency. Not only do the retransmitted packets have to travel part of the way twice, but the sender will not realize the packet has been dropped until it either fails to receive acknowledgement of receipt in the expected order, or fails to receive acknowledgement for a long enough time that it assumes the packet has been dropped as opposed to merely delayed.

gildor
06-06-2016, 11:40 AM
here, read this and be less stupid:

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/white-paper_latency-matters.pdf

if it goes over your head, take off your tinfoil hat to make more room..what you JUST said:

Packets don't get lost for 30 seconds only to be miraculously processed by the server later.

Is the EXACT definition of latency...

DMN
06-06-2016, 11:43 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_loss

Congrats you can make a link.

gildor
06-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Sad you can't read or comprehend said link. :(

DMN
06-06-2016, 11:45 AM
here, read this and be less stupid:

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/white-paper_latency-matters.pdf

if it goes over your head, take off your tinfoil hat to make more room..what you JUST said:

Is the EXACT definition of latency...

Packets don't get lost for 30 seconds, you stupid ass wannabe.

gildor
06-06-2016, 11:52 AM
lol, done with your combative idiotic vitrol..understand networking or get the fuck out..you were told what caused your issue, you are just too dumb or ignorant to accept the answer and move the fuck on. There are several factors at play in a packet switched network, time to live, bandwidth, latency, packet loss..the list goes on. Fortunately for your in your mind the only packets that matter are yours. I wish you well, and feel sorry for whatever guy you coax to putting his dick in your ass..because if the shit spews from your back like it does your front, hes in for a mess. Peace out.

Crawdad
06-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Packets don't get lost for 30 seconds, you stupid ass wannabe.

First, last, only warning. Anyone trolling in this forum will have their forum account permanently banned.

This forum is here for people to legitimately seek help for their technical issues. If you don't have something useful or constructive to add, don't post.

Later gator!

DMN
06-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Later gator!

Glad thsse people trolling my threads will be getting theirs.

DMN
06-06-2016, 12:03 PM
lol, done with your combative idiotic vitrol..understand networking or get the fuck out..you were told what caused your issue, you are just too dumb or ignorant to accept the answer and move the fuck on. There are several factors at play in a packet switched network, time to live, bandwidth, latency, packet loss..the list goes on. Fortunately for your in your mind the only packets that matter are yours. I wish you well, and feel sorry for whatever guy you coax to putting his dick in your ass..because if the shit spews from your back like it does your front, hes in for a mess. Peace out.

Anyone even remotely associated with running p99 knows god damn well packets don't get lost for 30 seconds tpo only be magically processed later.

Culkasi
06-06-2016, 12:18 PM
I am sorry they have all trolled you. You are right. We decided, in our secret "lets have fun" voting forum, that we whould have a bit of fun and disconnect you, and then move your corpse to a different place in the zone.
It was for no apparent reason, other than to show you we could. We succeeded. We then asked some people to come in here and post some random stuff to try and derail it, just to see how angry we could make you. I am sincerely sorry about that, but it was a little bit too funny to not try.

Anyway, P99 did this to you, as a sort of "Happy 1st of June" gift. Hope you liked the gimmick.

Luminious
06-06-2016, 12:54 PM
Anyone even remotely associated with running p99 knows god damn well packets don't get lost for 30 seconds tpo only be magically processed later.

Its is rather obvious you do not understand how networking operates. Instead of being trollish and being jerky, take some insight from these folks and learn something.

If you don't understand basic networking don't be a dick about it. It is entirely possible for packets to be lost, resent and then processed. This is what TCP/IP does. Don't get upset, welcome to the mode of Internet transport where the world is imperfect. On the other hand maybe it was Morpheous trying to get you take the blue pill...

EQBallzz
06-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Wow. This thread is just...wow. Not even sure if OP is for real.

Ele
06-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Wow. This thread is just...wow. Not even sure if OP is for real.

He is the same one arguing for level 1 2-boxing, so he seems 4real.

EQBallzz
06-06-2016, 01:38 PM
He is the same one arguing for level 1 2-boxing, so he seems 4real.

Are you sure this isn't Ashton Kutcher in his new hit show that seeks to punk MMO players on Internet forums of 17 year old games?

Daywolf
06-06-2016, 02:38 PM
When morons like you and others specifically link this thread on other threads bcausee you ar too stupid to form a cogent argument.
You miss your meds again today? I didn't link this worthless thread. You think a 14yo brat kid running his mouth off bothers me? lol Just ask maerilith, everyone puts him on ignore, but that's not good enough for me and I get him to put ME on ignore :D Don't try credit yourself thinking I'd link your nobody troll threads around forums here. btw don't let the door hit you on the way out, we all know where you're headed.

DMN
06-06-2016, 04:45 PM
But derpwolf you haven't used your vast internet knowledge you gained from building the internet with Al Gore to explain lost/found 30 second packets.

JackFlash
06-06-2016, 05:17 PM
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243409

op is an internet expert.

Skydash
06-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Why is everyone making this hard...

When you attack something and go link dead, your character will continue to fight and take damage and generally act like an NPC...
So, he fights until low health and guess what? He turns and FLEES... eventually succumbing to death in the exact spot you meditated in last by sheer coincidence.

Meanwhile, you cannot log into your account because you have a character active. That character will stay active while engaged in a fight, blocking you from logging in. Once he dies, it takes another minute to kick your butt off the server allowing you to log in again.

This is the beauty of Everquest.

Thana8088
06-06-2016, 05:56 PM
Don't listen to this nonsense OP.

There is definitely something fishy happening to your account. You aren't the first one to experience this, and I bet you won't be the last.

I suggest you continue to pursue this until it is resolved, even if you have to take it to the highest level!!!1!

DMN
06-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Why is everyone making this hard...

No way in hell I would have survived running back to where I was medding at gimped health levels. Wouldn't have even made it a fourth of the way

That said, I think it's even more simple..Occam's razor suggests a higher level char simply trained me, by accident or intent, and managed to leave the zone before I recovered from the crash.

RDawg816
06-06-2016, 08:36 PM
No way in hell I would have survived running back to where I was medding at gimped health levels.
QFT
You didn't survive. You died.

Priceline
06-06-2016, 08:41 PM
voted 5 star thread, yikes OP

Smurflogik
06-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Wow this thread is so entertaining it should be in RnF!

This guy is either willfully ignorant, or a master troll. I don't know how the packet loss issue could be spelled out any more clearly for him, and he's still lashing out at people trying to explain it. Fantastic.

10/10

Subidoo
06-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Happens to me when i try to watch porn on my old motorola Razr.

polishanarchy
06-08-2016, 06:15 PM
yikes

heyokah
06-09-2016, 11:45 AM
OP is a salty nerd. It was explained to you what likely happened but you rejected it because? You obv just posted here to rant because you didn't accept anyone's reasoning. The exact same thing has happened to me a few times. All other websites would load fine, but none of the p99 related ones. By deductive reasoning I figured out what the people in this thread told you and just waited it out.

indiscriminate_hater
06-09-2016, 11:48 AM
OP did you clean our your internet tubes?