PDA

View Full Version : Looking for people to hunt together + question

Liathan
12-26-2010, 10:24 PM
Hello

Heres the new one :-)
I am in fact also very new to Everquest in general. I used to play a lot of EQ2, though (Level 57 Paladin on Innovation).
My first experience with the EQ was something like 2004, but i only played until about Level 12. This was when EQ2 came out, so I switched to EQ2.

Now, for some reason I stumbled across Project 1999, and I thought it would be a cool idea to start over here, for I do not currently play any game. I am curious what the old Everquest looked like, without the millions of expansions, which would only confuse me anyway. Also it seems to have fascinated so many people and id really like to see whats the magic of the game :-)

So I started here today and created a halfling druid, since the guide says its one of the best choices for halfling (and i wanted to play a halfling definately).
First I looked out for quests, but only found two in Riverdale, which i completed, but the rewards were meager. I also were alone all the time which was kinda boring.

I then met an experienced player who helped me to get to a zone with more people (Eastern Commonlands) and binded me there. Now the problem is, there are really a lot of players, but most of them seems to prefer to play alone. I wasnt able to find a group yet. They also seem way more powerful than me, although about the same level as I am. (They do like 25 damage per monster in one strike and can also kill yellow ones without problem , where i have to run)

So im looking for some people to game with together here :-)
I am currently only Level 3 (close to 4)

I also have another question: Is there any way to get spells without buying them from the Druid Guild ? I have checked several other shops too, but the prices were nothing i could remotely afford (the cheaptest spells cost already platinum coins)

Greetings
Liathan

Rahnza
12-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Hello

Heres the new one :-)
I am in fact also very new to Everquest in general. I used to play a lot of EQ2, though (Level 57 Paladin on Innovation).
My first experience with the EQ was something like 2004, but i only played until about Level 12. This was when EQ2 came out, so I switched to EQ2.

Now, for some reason I stumbled across Project 1999, and I thought it would be a cool idea to start over here, for I do not currently play any game. I am curious what the old Everquest looked like, without the millions of expansions, which would only confuse me anyway. Also it seems to have fascinated so many people and id really like to see whats the magic of the game :-)

So I started here today and created a halfling druid, since the guide says its one of the best choices for halfling (and i wanted to play a halfling definately).
First I looked out for quests, but only found two in Riverdale, which i completed, but the rewards were meager. I also were alone all the time which was kinda boring.

I then met an experienced player who helped me to get to a zone with more people (Eastern Commonlands) and binded me there. Now the problem is, there are really a lot of players, but most of them seems to prefer to play alone. I wasnt able to find a group yet. They also seem way more powerful than me, although about the same level as I am. (They do like 25 damage per monster in one strike and can also kill yellow ones without problem , where i have to run)

So im looking for some people to game with together here :-)
I am currently only Level 3 (close to 4)

I also have another question: Is there any way to get spells without buying them from the Druid Guild ? I have checked several other shops too, but the prices were nothing i could remotely afford (the cheaptest spells cost already platinum coins)

Greetings
Liathan

Welcome to EverQuest. First of all, the quest system in EQ is a bit different than games like EQ2 and WoW. There aren't a ton of quests all over every town, and they're not all worth doing. Usually quests in this game have a bit more "epic" feel than just collecting 6 wolf canines and returning. Unfortunately even the complicated quests that require you to run all over the world sometimes have bad or even no reward. There's a few quests you may want to do as a druid, but no until you gain some levels. These are the Testament of Vanear (requires you to kill a mob that spawns once every 7 hours) and Paw of Opolla (have to collect 4 rings from around the world, some are fairly rare/difficult). You really won't be leveling up from quests and EQ is designed around dungeon crawling (or rather, usually sitting in one spot for hours and having mobs pulled there to kill).

While druids are a good solo class, the game is built around grouping. Unfortunately, there aren't many groups until higher levels. Your first chance would be EC orcs, around level 4-8 or so, and then after that around 10-12 you can do dervs in N Ro if there's a group going. Then you can head over to Oasis until 18-20, and so on. The first few levels can actually be some of the roughest, as you are required to solo some and exp still comes slowly.

As a druid, all of your spells will be purchased from vendors from 1-50. They are level restricted however, so the ones that cost platinum coins are higher level spells that you wouldn't be able to use yet anyways. Generally by the time you're high enough level to learn a spell, you should have about enough money to afford it. Intelligence casters (wizard, enchanter, necromancer, magician) have to research some of their spells (combine components found around the world on mobs), but you won't have to worry about that as a priest class. In Kunark (the next expansion, still a ways out) you'll have to obtain some of your spells by kill mobs or purchasing them.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think the characters your level most likely had a buff cast on them. High level magicians and druids can cast a damage shield that hurts a mob everytime it hits you, which is extremely effective at killing stuff at the lower levels. Sometimes you'll find someone at the East Commons tunnel to cast these spells on you, which make soloing the early levels much easier. The best one in the game is Shield of Lava, a magician spell that deals 25 damage every time a mob hits you. That was most likely what you saw.

Estu
12-26-2010, 10:35 PM
For grouping, you want to hit up popular areas, preferably dungeons since they have EXP bonuses that outdoor zones don't. You could go to the Greater Faydark and group on Orc Hill until level 5 or 6, and then go to Crushbone. Alternatively, you could stick around the Freeport area and group at the orc camps and then head over to Befallen; you should gain some levels before the orc camps, though, if I recall correctly.

You need to buy your spells from the druid merchants. The prices can be daunting early on, but if you're smart with your money, you can make the amount you need. Kill decaying skeletons for bone chips (you'll find a lot in North Ro near Freeport) and sell stacks for 5-10pp each to necromancers and shadowknights. Kill bears and sell high quality bear pelts to tailors for 10pp each. Kill spiderlings and sell stacks of spiderling silks to players for I think 5pp per stack, though I don't recall the exact going price. And sell any cloth armor or rusty/splintering/cracked weapons you find on humanoids/undead to merchants (as long as you don't need the stuff to equip yourself); cracked staves in particular sell for 1pp each.

Questing in EQ is pretty limited if you're looking for useful results. You can generally ask around and find out which, if any, quests are useful to you in your level at your location. If you're hunting orcs near Freeport, you can hand in their belts in Freeport for EXP and faction (and possibly other rewards; haven't done those in a long time); if you're hunting orcs at GFay or Crushbone, you can hand belts and shoulderpads in in Kaladim for EXP, leather, and a little money, or sell them to players for 1pp per belt or 2pp per pad (this is for rich players who want to get out of those early levels fast by doing the quest a ton of times).

I for the most part agree with the above post by Rahnza, except to recommend that you avoid outdoor zones like East Commonlands, North Ro, and Oasis for grouping since they don't have the EXP bonuses of dungeons. They're fine for soloing, though, since soloing is often very hard in a dungeon.

Oh, and make sure you train the Meditate skill at level 8.

quellren
12-26-2010, 10:39 PM
{Snipped}...there are really a lot of players, but most of them seems to prefer to play alone. I wasnt able to find a group yet. They also seem way more powerful than me, although about the same level as I am. (They do like 25 damage per monster in one strike and can also kill yellow ones without problem , where i have to run)

Nobody groups at lvl 3, at most some people will duo until maybe level 7 and join an orc group there in EC. Just grind it out man. Alot of this game is about grit, determination and stubborn-ness. Consider it 'paying your dues' There is zero hand-holding.
It's not for everyone, but for those that enjoy a fair bit of masochism in our video games, this is the place to be. You'll either learn to love the hardship, or quit. *shrug*

Spells are expensive, thems' the breaks, chief. Also I'm 99.99% certain you are looking at the wrong spells. The lvl 5 druid spells should be at most a few gold per spell.
A tip for making money:
Save everything. I mean everything. even the orc picks that sell for 9 copper add up over time. You'll get there.

Estu
12-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Nobody groups at lvl 3, at most some people will duo until maybe level 7 and join an orc group there in EC.

Gonna have to dispute this. Orc hill in GFay is a very popular grouping spot starting at level 3.

Also, yeah, getting buffs from high level players makes soloing very fast and easy at low levels in East Commonlands. Look for SoW (spirit of wolf, a run speed buff), some form of regeneration, and a high level druid or magician damage shield and you'll blast through yellow and low red con mobs.

quellren
12-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Gonna have to dispute this. Orc hill in GFay is a very popular grouping spot starting at level 3.

If he were an elf in Gfay, sure... we're talking about his difficulties in EAST COMMONLANDS.

Estu
12-26-2010, 10:46 PM
If he were an elf in Gfay, sure... we're talking about his difficulties in EAST COMMONLANDS.

It's super-easy to get a port to GFay and get a bind there, and the dude clearly wants to group. What's your problem?

Yak
12-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Welcome to EQ Classic! There is a huge learning curve but the game is fun as hell and very rewarding. Stick with the Druid as you will love this class! I am almost at level 18 and then 19, I get my first self ports!

Liathan
12-27-2010, 12:19 AM
As long as there is some grouping later on everything is fine :-)
I hit 4 now and will go to bed. Probably ill just grind my way to Lv 7 and then look for group.
It would be really cool then to find a regular hunting group or a Guild !

Now for the spells: I think you were right. I mixed that up with armor probably, which was expensive as hell.
But good to know which things I have to farm now :-). How many bone splitters / spider silk would count as "stack" by the way ?

Is there some kind of Item Database where the NPC-Sell-Prices are listed ?

Btw.:
I always thought that - back these days when only those two existed - UO was the more "gritty" one and EQ the "soft" game. But maybe thats not true. Whatever, as an UO Veteran I know what you mean, and its nothing that scares me off the game or something.
Are there also PKs and thieves in EQ ?

Scratch&Sniff
12-27-2010, 12:49 AM
As long as there is some grouping later on everything is fine :-)
I hit 4 now and will go to bed. Probably ill just grind my way to Lv 7 and then look for group.
It would be really cool then to find a regular hunting group or a Guild !

Now for the spells: I think you were right. I mixed that up with armor probably, which was expensive as hell.
But good to know which things I have to farm now :-). How many bone splitters / spider silk would count as "stack" by the way ?

Is there some kind of Item Database where the NPC-Sell-Prices are listed ?

Btw.:
I always thought that - back these days when only those two existed - UO was the more "gritty" one and EQ the "soft" game. But maybe thats not true. Whatever, as an UO Veteran I know what you mean, and its nothing that scares me off the game or something.
Are there also PKs and thieves in EQ ?

There are 20 per stack, also dont buy stuff from vendors, they mark stuff up too much.
hehe if you played UO, you will prob be alright here.

Liathan
12-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Good :-)

At which level I could look out for a guild ? I really enjoy the social aspect of gaming which is why I play MMO for the most part

karsten
12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
i believe there are a couple guilds that you can join at any level and would also be in to meeting you, have a look over at the guilds subsection of the forums here

Estu
12-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Good :-)

At which level I could look out for a guild ? I really enjoy the social aspect of gaming which is why I play MMO for the most part

The guild I'm in, LifeAlert, recruits at any level. Do a "/who all LifeAlert" in-game and send people tells asking if any officers are online. If you see any of my characters (Kaam, Estuk, Aftadai) online, hit me up with a tell and I can recruit you.

Duuvyenx
12-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Hit me up on Lovya, who you already met, or Duuvy.

Liathan
01-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Hello again !

Now, over a week has passed since I've started playing on P99. I have received a lot of help, and especially want to thank Duuvyenx for all his effort and patience with me ;-)

I really like this place, more than any other MMORPG I have tried in the last years. And I believe this goes further than the usual initial euphoria. This is just a great game to play and a great place to be. Now that I am about to ding Lv 24, I will look for a (casual) guild.

As I already mentioned, I was quite heavily raiding in WoW and maybe (hopefully) I can get some people from my guild there to play here. One of them already made an account and will begin playing this weekend. My girlfriend also expressed interest, when she saw me gaming, hehe.

The only thing I have noticed, which I don't appreciate much - but occurs actually quite seldom - is the "n00b-antagonism". It is by far not as extreme as in other games such as WoW, but I noticed it though. Some people just seem to have a problem with a total noob like me, who hasnt really played EQ yet. But those people are not a big deal for me.

Kurtanius21
01-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Level 24? That's pretty good progress for a new player. Congratulations, much better than my progress! I'm only 17 and started before you.