PDA

View Full Version : Computer quacks like a duck HRALP

Kimmie
12-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I push the power button, and it quacks at me :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJf8oev-beI

No start-up screens or anything. The monitor will just be like "Lol...your tower is quacking. /nap"

I was previously having graphics card issues but am assuming this is unrelated since it won't even show start up screens now.
Just wondering if anyone happens to know what the devil needs to be replaced this time.

Thank you, and have a fabulous day.

Also, here is a picture in exchange for you assistance.
http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7321/trexjetbs3.jpg

Rais
12-23-2010, 01:31 AM
I would look here for new hard drives. Of course it could be something much worse, but what is much worse than losing everything on your hard drive?! Or it could just be a power supply. Whats my guess, from dealing with computers.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=15&name=Hard-Drives

Pheer
12-23-2010, 01:40 AM
i think i found out whats wrong, youre using a dell

Ihealyou
12-23-2010, 01:41 AM
You should probably stop being lazy and get the motherboard book out of the garage.

Kimmie
12-23-2010, 01:50 AM
You should probably stop being lazy and get the motherboard book out of the garage.

It is cold and dark and probably not even in there.
(Also, spider webs)

Ihealyou
12-23-2010, 01:53 AM
Bring a flashlight, coat, and sense of adventure imo.

nalkin
12-23-2010, 01:53 AM
FYI, regardless of the force you put on the power button its not gonna do anything different. But keep pushing it as hard as you can b

MiRo2
12-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Open your tower up and and make sure everything is seated securely in its slot (Memory, CPU heatsink, power cables). If that doesn't work somewhere on your computer, I think dell has its on the back where you plug everything in, should be 4 lights, see what color each is, if its not on the back it will be on your mother board. I highly doubt its your hard drives because you would at least get to the BIOS, so its either a power supply, CPU, or memory issue.

Kimmie
12-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Open your tower up and and make sure everything is seated securely in its slot (Memory, CPU heatsink, power cables). If that doesn't work somewhere on your computer, I think dell has its on the back where you plug everything in, should be 4 lights, see what color each is, if its not on the back it will be on your mother board. I highly doubt its your hard drives because you would at least get to the BIOS, so its either a power supply, CPU, or memory issue.

I just see one orange light glowing on the motherboard. Nothing else.

MiRo2
12-23-2010, 02:35 AM
I assume you bought the desktop as a whole, what model is it?

karsten
12-23-2010, 02:41 AM
SPACEMAN SPIFF

Kimmie
12-23-2010, 02:41 AM
I assume you bought the desktop as a whole, what model is it?

Dell XPS 410

MiRo2
12-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Use this to try and identify what might be going on, check the diagnostic light, and beep code sections.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1056411

Asher
12-23-2010, 02:47 AM
For some reason your computer is not POSTing. First step I do is unplug / disconnect everything from the motherboard except RAM, CPU, Video card, and Power Supply. Yes, even unplug your hard drive temporarily.
It is not required to POST.

If you have it at this point and it still isn't POSTing then one of those parts is probably defective or your MB is defective. You can try reseating all of the components if you feel comfortable doing that. If you reseat the CPU you should clean off all the Thermal compound from the CPU and Heatsink with rubbing alcohol and apply new thermal compound before mounting the Heatsink/fan back on. Sometimes reseating the components will fix the problem.

If you didn't know the POST is the Power On Self Test. Successful POST gives you one beep and then shows you the BIOS splash screen or PC information.
If you get this then reconnect the devices one by one until you find that one that is defective and replace it.

PC manufacturers usually provide POST Beep codes in the technical manual. This may tell you which part is having the problem based on the beep code.

Good luck

Asher

Kimmie
12-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Use this to try and identify what might be going on, check the diagnostic light, and beep code sections.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/adtshoot.htm#wp1056411

Thanks for the link. I was trying to find something along these lines and not doing a very good job... Error lights indicated RAM, just unhooked one of the sticks and it's working. Mother fuck.

Oh well.

Thank you all so much for the help though. Appreciate it!

Asher
12-23-2010, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the link. I was trying to find something along these lines and not doing a very good job... Error lights indicated RAM, just unhooked one of the sticks and it's working. Mother fuck.

Oh well.

Thank you all so much for the help though. Appreciate it!

RAM is one of the most inexpensive parts to replace. Be happy. :D

Asher

Kimmie
12-23-2010, 03:37 AM
RAM is one of the most inexpensive parts to replace. Be happy. :D

Asher

Just poor is all.

I think there may be some RAM lying around the house anyway though (assuming my Dad will let me steal it before I go back to school).

Thanks again

karsten
12-23-2010, 03:50 AM
generally when i have had ram problems, sometimes switching the sticks between the banks gets them all working again. also, sometimes just pulling it out and reseating it can fix it -- might want to try that before going all frankenstein on other comps in the house :)

Ihealyou
12-23-2010, 03:57 AM
Did you try booting it with the duck removed?

Kimmie
12-23-2010, 04:09 AM
generally when i have had ram problems, sometimes switching the sticks between the banks gets them all working again. also, sometimes just pulling it out and reseating it can fix it -- might want to try that before going all frankenstein on other comps in the house :)

Too late... Already swapping keyboards incestuously around because I somehow broke my Dad's by unplugging it. :(

Bad night for technology everywhere.

That RAM better work, damn it.

karsten
12-23-2010, 04:55 AM
also, jiggle the handle!