PDA

View Full Version : Spells: Rune spells not absorbing spell damage.

Throb
12-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Example: I cast rune III or IV. I engage a caster mob, it nukes me for 350 damage. The 350 damage is coming off my hit points and the rune is still on me, untouched. It seems like the only thing runes are absorbing is melee damage. I know for a fact it wasn't like this on live.

Chanus
12-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I thought the rune spells were melee damage only.

Rottening
12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
I thought the rune spells were melee damage only.

^

Throb
12-22-2010, 03:28 PM
They're not supposed to be melee damage only, is the point. In fact, the entire rune/skin line (nec, mage, wiz, enc) always absorbed direct spell damage on live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest

Lastly, Enchanters possess the unique Rune line of spells, which creates a magical protective buffer against all forms of damage until it has been worn down.

Throb
12-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Also, I guess I should have searched, but this has been reported previously:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2900

Working as intended I suppose. I remember specifically using rune on raids on live to block DD spells, etc.

Rottening
12-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Also, I guess I should have searched, but this has been reported previously:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2900

Working as intended I suppose. I remember specifically using rune on raids on live to block DD spells, etc.

Even to this day on Al'Kabor, which goes up to PoP and does not have any significant changes to the Rune line of spells, Rune does not absorb magic damage.

The spellshield line of spells does. Perhaps that is what you are remembering?

baub
12-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Even to this day on Al'Kabor, which goes up to PoP and does not have any significant changes to the Rune line of spells, Rune does not absorb magic damage.

Once upon a time Rune blocked spell damage. Going to assume this will be fixed when Kunark is released!

Scrooge
12-22-2010, 03:55 PM
No, spellshield line of spells didn't even exist until LDoN. Also, even if a server presently goes up to a certain expansion, there were many changes to spells and abilities over the years that were never part of the original expansion they originated from.

I also seem to recall that Runes absorbed spell damage along time ago, I was somewhat surprised when I was being nuked in Uguk and losing health with my Rune still on (when I just started on P99.)

Throb
12-22-2010, 04:05 PM

No, both spells blocked direct damage spells, but spellshield only blocked spells. I don't have a manastone here but does that damage get absorbed by rune/skin? It should.

I have a character on Al'kabor, but he isn't an enc or class with the skin line so I can't really test this easily there.

Rottening
12-22-2010, 04:32 PM
No, spellshield line of spells didn't even exist until LDoN. Also, even if a server presently goes up to a certain expansion, there were many changes to spells and abilities over the years that were never part of the original expansion they originated from.

I also seem to recall that Runes absorbed spell damage along time ago, I was somewhat surprised when I was being nuked in Uguk and losing health with my Rune still on (when I just started on P99.)

Uh, false.

I quote Al'Kabor only because we have not received an update since the release of PoP. In fact, we even have many encounters in the EPs that are beta. Since there was very little support, there were virtually no updates.

Spellshield spells that existed Pre-LDoN:

Manasink (Kunark): http://lucy.alkabor.com/spell_1728.html
Niv's Harmonic (Kunark): http://lucy.alkabor.com/spell_1763.html
Spellshield (Luclin): http://lucy.alkabor.com/spell_2559.html

Rottening
12-22-2010, 04:35 PM
As far as it existing in Classic and being fixed in Kunark...that very well may be. I distinctly remember it not blocking spells in the Kunark/Velious days, I used it a ton, but don't really have much classic experience with it.

Omnimorph
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Ah, this issue again. No dev seems to have mentioned this despite there being a few posts about it. As well as damage shields not working when getting hit whilst runed.

I await patiently :3

baub
12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Rune definitely blocked spells during Kunark and Velious..

Luclin I can't comment on as that is when I stopped playing

Throb
12-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm absolutely sure it always did, up until I quit in the OoW era. Problem is I'm having trouble finding evidence outside of mine and other people's recollections.

guineapig
12-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Just going to throw this in there. Bards have a separate song for damage absorbing rune song and spell damage absorbing rune song. Not sure if that's any indication of anything...

I honestly can't remember if I ever used Rune to block spell damage... Also, I spent more time playing post-Luclin than I did pre-Luclin.

Aadill
12-23-2010, 11:28 AM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1931

Increase Absorb Damage by 16 (L1) to 796 (L53)

I know for a fact the wizard epic (Staff of the Four) was all about some absorbing spell damage. It says nothing about absorbing spell damage, as some of the other runes do, and I know spells exist that specifically absorb spell damage, but those I believe stacked with BoF.

I think it was LDoN that upon preordering my wizard was set back to level 50. I went on a Vox raid and never took any damage because I kept recasting my epic. It did wonders in ToV, as well. This spell hasn't changed much according to Lucy, just a bunch of unknown stuff (http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spellhistory.html?id=1931&source=Test)

Although that is a special rune, the regular ones that enchanters cast should absorb damage as well. Here's a raidstrat from The Syndicate:

http://www.llts.org/History.php?p=36VenrilSathir

Granted this is from 2001 but this specifically states runes were used to avoid the lifetap:

2 were enchanters but due to the level differences only 1 could rune since the other couldnt overwrite theirs.

Suddenly a rune missed and Lekne went from full health to dead in about 1 second.

Vs bounced between Nyka and Udyo (the Secondary Assist) for a few seconds as the enchanters key runes up absorbing his LifeTap

Nizzarr
12-23-2010, 11:33 AM
In fact, the runes were just there to prevent venril sathir from proc'ing his lifetap. They werent absorbing it per say.

Since runes here dont prevent procs -- its gonna be interesting fighting a mob that procs 1.5k lifetap every 3-4 hits

Throb
12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1931

I know for a fact the wizard epic (Staff of the Four) was all about some absorbing spell damage. It says nothing about absorbing spell damage, as some of the other runes do, and I know spells exist that specifically absorb spell damage, but those I believe stacked with BoF.

Yep, and the wizard epic was essentially a component free steelskin/diamondskin. That's why it was nice in classic zones in conjunction with a manastone. This is also why enchanters, wizards, necros, etc generally always kept a skin/rune up for PVP or encounters with AE direct damage effects (like TOV, which you mentioned).

Aadill
12-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Yep, I was reading through some stuff (lost it now) but it said that necros don't gather the full hp potential of a lifetap if a mob is runed. It was either partial or it only took what the rune didn't cover, so it would still be possible to have VS's lifetap go through if the melee damage and proc happened in a fashion that out-damaged the rune. This makes the most sense as I do also recall having BoF disappear and be hit for some random number of points of damage (this of course was partially due to resists, but I was hit for <10 damage on multiple occasions). It would make sense that an unresisted 800 damage AE would cause 4 points of damage if you had BoF... I just can't recall a situation in which that occurred.

I'll look for that info again.. I JUST READ IT but closed the window after making my post.

Yep, and the wizard epic was essentially a component free steelskin/diamondskin. That's why it was nice in classic zones in conjunction with a manastone. This is also why enchanters, wizards, necros, etc generally always kept a skin/rune up for PVP or encounters with AE direct damage effects (like TOV, which you mentioned).

Yep! Kept every class not being watched for healing safe, or at least slowed down the rate that mana had to be wasted healing a caster that got nailed by an AoE.

Also, <3 Wizard Epic + Manastone <3

Uthgaard
12-23-2010, 11:59 AM
You guys can stop arguing about it. It's a bug. It will be fixed when we release the next spells file.

Aadill
12-23-2010, 12:02 PM
You guys can stop arguing about it. It's a bug. It will be fixed when we release the next spells file.

Not arguing, just wasn't sure what the stance was, at this point. Thanks for letting us know, Uthgaard! Good news, chanters! Stock up on peridots!

Scrooge
12-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Since runes here dont prevent procs -- its gonna be interesting fighting a mob that procs 1.5k lifetap every 3-4 hits

I've actually experienced that up close and personal a few days ago...it wasn't pretty.

Rais
12-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm guessing 99% of the people in the thread never killed VS in kunark. You would know how this spell line works, if so!

Thanks for the update Uth!

Rottening
12-23-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm guessing 99% of the people in the thread never killed VS in kunark. You would know how this spell line works, if so!

Thanks for the update Uth!

Heh it wasn't until someone mentioned VS that I realized how horribly wrong I was.

Aadill
12-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Heh it wasn't until someone mentioned VS that I realized how horribly wrong I was.

VS was pretty much the only real necessary use of Rune. Beyond that, it was considered a bonus. :)

Salty
12-23-2010, 10:10 PM
VS was pretty much the only real necessary use of Rune. Beyond that, it was considered a bonus. :)

PoSky had more use of rune than VS. Funny that you say that.

Starklen
12-24-2010, 02:01 AM
rofl

Omnimorph
12-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Sweeeeet.

Now if only damage shields work through rune then we're sorted :D

Starklen
12-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Is it supposed to? If so, should it be registering through invuln effects as well?

Acillatem
12-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Runes were vital on Tallon Zek.

Whether it's the WIZ version or ENC version the way they worked was as follows:

They absorbed all melee, and DD spell damage (up to the limit of the rune).

The DD portion of a DoT was absorbed (so the initial hit) but after that the DoT penetrated directly to the player.

Damage Shields stacked with Runes - they currently don't (in other words as it is now - if I have a DS on AND a Rune up, and a mob hits me, the DS won't hit the mob).

It wasn't until later that they introduced Spellshield - a spell specifically designed to absorb ONLY DD spell damage. We won't see that on P99 as this was post-Velious.

I honestly don't remember the stun aspect - but I DO know I could channel a spell while getting my ass beat by a melee - so I'm assuming melee based stuns/bashes did NOT penetrate.

MR based stuns weren't really used on TZ (everyone had insane MR, everyone knew this, therefore nobody used stuns lol). So I can't honestly say how Spell-based stuns were handled via runes one way or the other.