PDA

View Full Version : Selo's not increasing strafe speed

Hemo
04-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Just logged on after four month out. Noticed immediately, that strafe is a crawl compared to backwards or forwards. Jboots, SoW, and even Selo's makes little impact to the strafe speed.

Running diagonally, strafe and forwards, seems to be unaffected.

Otherwise, game runs smoothly and all other movements are fine.

knix
05-01-2016, 04:06 AM
Was strafing a thing on live? or was it a bug here? If it was a bug here they might have made it...Classic

Zheta
05-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Yea, I was trying to strafe kite a few days ago and noticed I wasn't getting great results, but was a year ago that I last tried. Dunno if it's just me being away for a while or what, but I was getting frustrated with it.

Also, today my client is repeatedly crashing, so yay.

Zheta
05-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Just wanted to throw in again that even if strafe+direction was nerfed intentionally [looking for patch notes](I don't have good enough memory to say it was an option in live. I think so, but eh Quake Live still allows you to abuse strafe jumping/air turning, and was also a '99 game.) But anyway, even if comboing directional keys and turning and such mechanics no longer allow you to increase speed, should strafe speed not be affected by runspeed modifiers? After playing with it more, Selo's definitely has no effect on strafing as OP suggested, even though you do run backwards faster with it on. Would be a shame if Selo's is the new CoD sprint.

Jaxon
05-07-2016, 06:33 PM
I don't think that movement modifiers have ever increased your strafe speed on this server. You always strafe at the same speed regardless of which movement buff you have on. It works the same way if you encumber yourself too, in which case your strafe will be faster than your forward speed.

The increase in speed you get from strafe is because the strafe adds an additional velocity component perpendicular to your original direction of movement, which gives you an increased velocity in a direction at a slight angle off of the way your character is facing.

fastboy21
05-08-2016, 10:00 PM
I don't think that movement modifiers have ever increased your strafe speed on this server. You always strafe at the same speed regardless of which movement buff you have on. It works the same way if you encumber yourself too, in which case your strafe will be faster than your forward speed.

The increase in speed you get from strafe is because the strafe adds an additional velocity component perpendicular to your original direction of movement, which gives you an increased velocity in a direction at a slight angle off of the way your character is facing.

Bottom line, you used to be able to use selo's and strafe to kite mobs without the super long melee reach hitting you on this server. This was a needed skill if you wanted to AE kite and circle in on mobs to AE them without getting hit. Can you still do this or was it nerfed?

As per the OP's original post, "forward and strafe" (what you normally use while kiting) was unaffected. I'm guessing this means that the answer to my question is that it wasn't nerfed, but I haven't actually tested it.

Ames1
05-08-2016, 11:35 PM
Bottom line, you used to be able to use selo's and strafe to kite mobs without the super long melee reach hitting you on this server. This was a needed skill if you wanted to AE kite and circle in on mobs to AE them without getting hit. Can you still do this or was it nerfed?

As per the OP's original post, "forward and strafe" (what you normally use while kiting) was unaffected. I'm guessing this means that the answer to my question is that it wasn't nerfed, but I haven't actually tested it.

You don't actually need to strafe while doing this. By encircling your mobs until they are in a tight pack, you can easily hit the entire group by circling inwards towards the mobs before the song ticks. Make sure you are all the way zoomed out in 3rd person while doing this because as soon as you can see the mobs appear in the corner of your screen you know they are close enough to be hit.

fastboy21
05-09-2016, 12:33 AM
You don't actually need to strafe while doing this. By encircling your mobs until they are in a tight pack, you can easily hit the entire group by circling inwards towards the mobs before the song ticks. Make sure you are all the way zoomed out in 3rd person while doing this because as soon as you can see the mobs appear in the corner of your screen you know they are close enough to be hit.

Thanks for the tip. I find it far easier to strafe and time the turn with the song, but I also don't do it for days and days on end.

In any case, I only brought it as it related to what strafe does and whether or not anyone else felt it was nerfed.

mropey
05-09-2016, 08:48 AM
I don't think that movement modifiers have ever increased your strafe speed on this server

Yes they did.