PDA

View Full Version : Playing on Linux?

Mitchell92
04-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Hi,

I'm creating another thread being that the others I've seen through the search just don't seem recent.

I have a small notebook computer I bought for class in the Fall and things like that... but I'm running Fedora Linux on it.

Due to EQ being an older game, the Titanium version being much older than EQ Live... is there decent compatibility under WINE?

It's a dual core i5 with 4GB of RAM and Intel HD 530 graphics.

Thanks agian.

Zaela
04-23-2016, 03:13 PM
is there decent compatibility under WINE?

Worked well when earlier threads were started, still works well now. More or less identical to how it plays on Windows once you get it going.

Standard spiel about gotchas:

1) P99 patch files copy over dsetup.dll, but the filename is in the wrong case relative to the Titanium install. Linux filesystems are case sensitive, so you'll have to take care that dsetup.dll is actually replaced with the newer version when you unzip the patch files.

2) Per threads such as this ancient one (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230643#3) from last month, you will likely need to set VertexShaders = FALSE in eqclient.ini, otherwise mob models will be invisible.

3) If you play over wifi, there is sometimes a(n inexplicable) issue where the server select screen is blank, sometimes to the extent that it takes 50 tries or more to get in. This is separate from other loginserver issues and only seems to affect (random) Linux machines, and particularly (only?) over wifi. The server list packets are all delivered fine, but the client just chokes on them. If you run into this issue, I made a utility that works around this: details starting here (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218666#9) and an example bash script to automatically turn it on when you're starting up EQ here (http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2166116#170).

Mitchell92
04-23-2016, 05:57 PM
Thanks a ton! I'll be getting on soon.

I bought a thin portable notebook to take to class in the fall for that semester... my PC laptop (MSI gaming laptop) is heavy, and this one is the perfect size and weight to take with me for the day... Running Fedora, getting on EQ on this machine isn't a deal-breaker, but I really would love to get on here at times on my off time between classes.

Mitchell92
04-23-2016, 11:14 PM
I just wanted to provide an update...

It's letting me login, I just cannot get past the server selection process. I don't see any listed.
I'm playing around trying to see if I can get around this.

Mitchell92
04-23-2016, 11:30 PM
I'm so happy to announce that I'm able to get on P99 from my new laptop running Fedora Linux!

I just had to use the middleman, which was easy to download and compile and execute.

I'm going to have so much fun in the morning!

VincentF
10-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Things i did to get everquest P99 working on my Antergos/Gnome3 setup

1. Copied eq1 folder to linux
2. removed files from eq folder as per p99 website
3. When copying p99 specific files into eq folder pay attention to case sensitive files, in particular dsetup.dll! You have to rename it to DSETUP.dll
4. Get sound to work. Open terminal and enter sudo pacman -S lib32-alsa-lib lib32-alsa-plugins lib32-libpulse lib32-alsa-oss lib32-openal
5. Edit eqclient.ini and change video mode or size to fit your monitor
5a. Change windowedmode to false if you want fullscreen
5b. set refresh rate to 60

I also have the blank server login screen occasionally but usually only takes one retry to get it working

TheWinterSkye
10-20-2016, 03:50 PM
I'm so happy to announce that I'm able to get on P99 from my new laptop running Fedora Linux!

I just had to use the middleman, which was easy to download and compile and execute.

I'm going to have so much fun in the morning!

I'm using Fedora 24. Can you tell me where you got the middleman application and how you used it to get EQ working?

Indefinite
10-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Things i did to get everquest P99 working on my Antergos/Gnome3 setup

1. Copied eq1 folder to linux
2. removed files from eq folder as per p99 website
3. When copying p99 specific files into eq folder pay attention to case sensitive files, in particular dsetup.dll! You have to rename it to DSETUP.dll
4. Get sound to work. Open terminal and enter sudo pacman -S lib32-alsa-lib lib32-alsa-plugins lib32-libpulse lib32-alsa-oss lib32-openal
5. Edit eqclient.ini and change video mode or size to fit your monitor
5a. Change windowedmode to false if you want fullscreen
5b. set refresh rate to 60

I also have the blank server login screen occasionally but usually only takes one retry to get it working

I wish I were so lucky, I sometimes have to spend upwards of 10-15 minutes spamming my password on the login screen to get servers to show - and if I reflexively hit escape on a populated server select I have to restart my client or any subsequent login attempts which populates servers in server select shows an unknown error on login. This seems to be the case regardless of what network I'm on or what interface I use.