PDA

View Full Version : New Shaman equip ?

slouth
12-09-2010, 01:49 PM
So I've hit level 5, I did the initiate symbol last night, and currently sitting outside of BB. I was wondering if anyone had a short list of items/armor/weapons/ that I should look/work for? I'd like to be able to do things solo if possible just based on my Xmas Schedule atm.

Thanks In advance.

Bukujuju

nilbog
12-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I'd suggest gear with wisdom or hitpoints.

Chanus
12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah, Wis/Mana gear and HP/AC gear would be a good starting point for looking.

I think there's a guide around if you search, but I don't remember the link.

RapidScotch
12-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Well heres a list for pre planar(raid), theres a list on the wiki: http://moestaverne.com/p1999wiki/index.php/Shaman

Thats obviously *optimal* equiptment, but like nilbog said anything with some wis/hp to get ya started will do.

Pre-Planar

* Ears - Ivandyr's Hoop
* Fingers - Platinum Jasper Ring
* Neck - Regent Symbol of Innoruuk, Chrysoberyl Talisman
* Head - Batfang Headband, Runed Circlet, Nightshade Wreath
* Face - Polished Mithril Mask
* Chest - Bloodstained Tunic, Foreman's Tunic
* Arms - Hollowed Bone Bracers, Platinum Armband
* Back - Mammoth Hide Cloak, Molten Cloak
* Waist - Purity Belt, Flayed Turmoilskin Belt, Reed Belt
* Shoulders - Prayer Shawl, Lizardscale Mantle
* Wrists - Chipped Bone Bracelet, Runed Mithril Bracer
* Legs - Gatorscale Leggings
* Hands - Split Paw Hide Gloves
* Feet - Wolf Fur Slippers, Golden Efreeti Boots

* Primary - Paw of Opolla
* Secondary - Testament of Vanear
* Range - Darksea Harpoon, Ebon War Spear

slouth
12-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks, I was hoping for a list of items/camps for for level 5-15 to work on if possible, or a guide if anyone had one.

Thanks

Qenaden
12-09-2010, 02:14 PM
there isn't really going to be any gear you can camp worth wearing until at least the 20s. just put on the stuff that drops and sell bone chips and batwings until you have enuff plat to buy better or are high enough to get it yourself. or start a de chanter and farm stein of moggok quest.

Chanus
12-09-2010, 02:15 PM
At that level, there isn't a whole lot you can do on your own other than try and make plat to buy things, but if this is your first character, you won't be doing much of that either due to saving for spells.

You could work Blacksmithing and make yourself a set of Banded (or just find someone to buy it from if you prefer... usually sells for 1pp per AC). Collect 64 patches of gnoll fur and combine them four at a time until you get a semi-decent cloak for low levels (I think it's got decent AC and +Cold). There really isn't a lot, though.

Estu
12-09-2010, 03:06 PM
It also depends on your play style, in particular whether you're soloing or grouping. Grouping, there's more of a case to be made for HP and WIS. Soloing, AC is more important IMO. You can get a full set of banded for around 85pp. You can also raise your blacksmithing yourself - this will cost more and take a while, but you'll be able to sell banded for profit afterwards. Your first concern should be keeping up with your spells, though, so don't spend any money you need for them. (I'm assuming this is your first character and you don't have oodles of plat lying around.)

Mountaineer
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
I had like 4 piece of patch work leather armor (that I got from orcs) once I hit level 50. You don't need the best gear available to level. You just need Enthusiasm! (and lots of time to grind! lol)

bionicbadger
12-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Well heres a list for pre planar(raid), theres a list on the wiki: http://moestaverne.com/p1999wiki/index.php/Shaman

Thats obviously *optimal* equiptment, but like nilbog said anything with some wis/hp to get ya started will do.

Thats not optimal equipment. Thats wis maximizing equipment posted by someone that probably played a druid.

No self respecting shaman would have a paw/testament as primary and secondary. And crap with no AC and only a couple points of wis is silly for a shaman, ie platinum armband. You are better off with more AC STA and HP instead of giving those up for a couple points of wis.

Swishahouse
12-09-2010, 04:36 PM
This is precisely the reason I roll barbo shaman. The stun resist on ogres is okay and the little bit or regen you get from trolls is okay but at the end of the day they are simply perks. You get plenty enough regen from your regen line and your rage line to keep your health up with out issue and when stunned your torpor is still going to continue to tick. Rolling barbarian allows you to spec your gear heavier into HP/AC and still retain a better mana pool overall..

quellren
12-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd personally make these changes or additons to start with:

* Ears - Ivandyrs Hoop, Gold Jasper, or Black Sapphire
* Fingers - Plat Fire wedding rings or Djarns
* Neck - Regent Symbol of Innoruuk, Chrysoberyl Talisman
* Head - Batfang Headband, Runed Circlet, Nightshade Wreath Totemic Helm is much better than all the others
* Face - Polished Mithril Mask Plat Ruby Veil, Bloodstone eyepatch
* Chest - Bloodstained Tunic, Foreman's Tunic (I suppose totemic for AC is good as well)
* Arms - Hollowed Bone Bracers, Platinum Armband (not any great choices here, Totemic for AC)
* Back - Mammoth Hide Cloak, Molten Cloak Totemic cloak
* Waist - Purity Belt, Flayed Turmoilskin Belt, Reed Belt (Black Iron Girdle is better than nothing)
* Shoulders - Prayer Shawl, Lizardscale Mantle (Another spot with no great choices)
* Wrists - Chipped Bone Bracelet, Runed Mithril Bracer
* Legs - Gatorscale Leggings
* Hands - Split Paw Hide Gloves (possibly totemic, but I dunno. I'm not a fan of the totemic gloves with +5int on them)
* Feet - Wolf Fur Slippers, Golden Efreeti Boots (Totemic boots)

* Primary - Paw of Opolla Gloomwater Harpoon, Sharkbone Warhammer, tainted battleworn morningstar
* Secondary - Testament of Vanear Charred Guardian Shield
* Range - Darksea Harpoon, Ebon War Spear

2HB- Withered Totem of Widdershins or Mortificators staff

Your best bet as a new shaman is save your coin and buy Banded, it will serve you well until you can replace it with other stuff.

slouth
12-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I really do miss my troll I had on live, but at the end of the day, I really skipped Innothule swamp and all of that (buddy PL me to 15) and what I do remember of the swamp I wanted to stay far far away, I only wish I could have made a Wood Elf... I loved Gfay as a starting area :)

tristantio
12-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Don't forget troll shamans who worship Inny get:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=1254

On live this item still sticks at 60+ (and p99 will never go higher than that).

With that soloing is super easy (better than root rot because you can let fido beat on mob as well).

quellren
12-09-2010, 06:19 PM
That item loses alot of its appeal here due to the increased run speed of mobs.
If you ever feel like its a 'must have' make a lvl 1 necro and cast Clinging Darkness on something then try to kite it. The run speed is almost imperceptibly slower, and since shaman get SoW at 9 anyway, LONG before anyone but a powerlvl baby-sittee could get one, its probably not worth the effort.
I figure the quest would take a player 2-3 hours minimum to quest it all the way to the Regent Symbol, at lvl 30.
When I was lvl 30, I killed Drizda Tunesinger in Feerrott for 3 hours, made about 200p and a lvl in the process, and went a bought a Black Iron Medallion for 70p with the same ac and wis, but lacking the 10% snare and 5 dmg/tick DoT.
It's a neat toy, but not imbalancing in any way.

On the other hand, I understand that one area of Oggok is not fond of Innoruuk worshippers, and *might* be aggressive.
I haven't confirmed this as Hogul worships CT because I forgot about the necklace and didn't bother to change from the character creation default.

Ravhin
12-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I'd personally make these changes or additons to start with:

Nice contribution, I've added it to the wiki page. If someone wanted to make a page similar to this one for necro's (a detailed/lower level gear guide)...

http://moestaverne.com/p1999wiki/index.php/Detailed_Necromancer_Gear_Guide