PDA

View Full Version : mage pet question

gprater
03-05-2016, 11:58 PM
My first char on p99 was a mage. I played him to 52 and then mostly stopped. That was 2011ish. I am going to start playing him seriously again other than just farming lower/mid level stuff. I currently use the level 49 fire pet. What pets above that are the better ones and which one are worth buying. I will be playing solo and hopefully in groups.

thanks

Thugnuts
03-06-2016, 04:21 PM
49 earth pet + shovel is best earth pet until you get the level 57 version.

The 50+ water pets are good for grouping dps in situations where you don't want an earth pet rooting the mobs.

The 50+ air pets are only good for raiding in Sky, since that's the only kind of pet you can summon there.

50+ fire pets are totally useless.

dafier
03-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Monster Summoning 2 is the best pet until you get to 57.

It has the same HP as the 57 earth (top level) and the DPS max hit is 56 or 58. But because it doesn't cast, it hits a bit more often (quads). You can't give it any weapons, nor does it need it. It will take muzzles though, which is nice.

Add DS and Burnout3, and farm your heart out.

gprater
03-08-2016, 06:59 PM
Thanks to both of you. I was going strictly by the pet guide on the wiki. Vocorate earth has well over 3k hp and dps is decent.
How much does monster summoning 2 go for in EC? I spend very little time there?

gprater
03-08-2016, 07:34 PM
oops, i was looking at teh 57 earth pet HP's I see why the 49+ shovel is better. 51 year old eyes and smartphone screen is my excuse :)

Vexenu
03-08-2016, 07:43 PM
I haven't done any parsing but from my experience MS2 seems to be about on par with the 49 Earth pet. I'm not sure what dafier is basing his advice about it being the best pet until 57 on. I would be interested in seeing the evidence for that (and I'm not trying to be argumentative here - the spell is damned fun, and if I could justify using it more I would like to do so). And yes, the 51 Earth pet is weaker than the focused 49 Earth pet in terms of having fewer hit points, but the max level 51 pet is also 4 levels higher than the max level 49 pet. It makes a very big difference when tanking and DPSing, so if you're not chain summoning you're better served by getting a max level Vocarate pet and buffing it 50+.

Sage Truthbearer
03-09-2016, 01:53 PM
When I'm soloing on my Mage I usually chain summon a focused 49 fire pet. Only 200 mana, has up to a 43-point DS. When mob is low/fleeing reclaim it and finish off with Burnt Wood Staff for full xp.

When I'm grouping I summon a max level focused Water pet, position it properly and keep Burnout III up.

dafier
03-10-2016, 03:17 PM
I haven't done any parsing but from my experience MS2 seems to be about on par with the 49 Earth pet. I'm not sure what dafier is basing his advice about it being the best pet until 57 on. I would be interested in seeing the evidence for that (and I'm not trying to be argumentative here - the spell is damned fun, and if I could justify using it more I would like to do so). And yes, the 51 Earth pet is weaker than the focused 49 Earth pet in terms of having fewer hit points, but the max level 51 pet is also 4 levels higher than the max level 49 pet. It makes a very big difference when tanking and DPSing, so if you're not chain summoning you're better served by getting a max level Vocarate pet and buffing it 50+.

I understand what you are saying. Just run a parse on the max level MS2 pet, not just DPS, but damage taken. MS2 with top level DS you have saves on over all mana spending and adds to survivability when soloing.

Also, 57 Earth (max level) hits harder than any pet in the game aside from Epic.

The pet level is a HUGE difference when it comes to it engaging a target. If target level is 45 and you have max level 49 Earth with focus compared to max level 51 earth or MS2, then parse the incoming dmg to the pet. You will see a very noticeable difference.

Also, there is a 100 mana difference between MS2 and 51+ pets.

dafier
03-10-2016, 03:19 PM
On a side note, level 52 and 58 Fire pets even with Mastery of Fire Staff are the most worthless pets in the game. I have NO idea what SOE was thinking.

Honest
03-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Haven't really messed around with Monster Summoning other than for looks. But Pre velious and pre epic my favorite pet to use was air pet/airstaff. Thing is a beast, and while it may have less HP then other pets I found it stunned often (which drew more agro), didn't get hit as often, got hit for less and did more dmg.