PDA

View Full Version : 120ms can't seem to get any lower

Drusk
03-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Hello all,

I usually log in and run at about 120ms pretty steady. I have tried many things after doing what research i could find. cleaned up computer, defragged, opened ports, got wineq to run in single core (although not sure i have that set up right, never noticed any change).

I seen a post on another game about an option in the charter modem/routers about information flooding and people that changed that to allow info unhindered seem to have their issue fixed. I myself cannot seem to find any setting like that in the router.

I have tried to run ping tests and it always gives me back 15-20ms on the test but then times out in the packetloss tests. After calling charter, and them running tests, they tell me i have no packet loss at all.

I am not the most computer savvy person lol i know enough to get my by and play my games. I would like to get this ping/latency issue down since everyone i talk to tells me 120ms is running kinda high.

Any suggestions for helpful tricks I could try would be greatly appreciated or any other info i need to post

thanks.

Bwils
03-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Ping is how fast your computer is talking to the p99 server. To my knowledge ping can only be effected by your own network and the distance of your computer to the server. If you are far away from the p99 server 120ms sounds right. Google internet speed test. Pick a server near you. If you have a good network should be <25ms. Then pick a server across the country prob be closer to 100's ms. Curious what is your download speed?

Bwils
03-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Channel interference can slow down your internet from neighboring peoples wifi. if you have an android phone download the app "wifi Analyzer" when you open the app make sure your phone is on your wifi. It will show all the ssids (wifi names) and the wifi channels that are leaking into your house. Look at the graph and pick the channel that is leased used. You only want to pick channels 1 6 or 11. Having another wifi sharing a channel with you is better then having channel overlapping. Each channel is 5mhz wide but your wifi signal is 20mhz wide. So if two people are on channel 1 and 6 and no one is on 11, but there was a person on channel 9. Channel 1 would be the best option because channel 9 would overlap channel 11 and 6. You can change your wifi channel in your router or access point gui.

Drusk
03-02-2016, 11:13 PM
well when i run the test it shows <15ms ping to the closest server. Im in nevada it was in california i think. my download speed runs abour 65mb/s.

Bwils
03-02-2016, 11:21 PM
I get 150 mb/s and 15 ms and my latency is always around 100ms on everquest. I live in California. I think its just the p99 server. Another thing in your wifi gui you want your encryption wpa2-psk (aes). But seems like the issue is not your network since you have a good ping and download speed

Drusk
03-02-2016, 11:24 PM
ok so sounds like i could just be out of luck on hoping for any better then 100-120ms

i did change my wifi channel to 1 but there is a ton of signals in my area popping up lol

Thulack
03-02-2016, 11:31 PM
The server is located on the east coast. Getting 100ms isnt that bad from California. Thats about what i was getting playing league of legends on the east coast and their servers were in cali.

rubicaant
03-06-2016, 02:48 PM
If you're not rocking 250+ ping, then it's not classic.

Herp
03-06-2016, 04:41 PM
California is 98-120 ping for most people.

polishanarchy
03-06-2016, 05:26 PM
California is 98-120 ping for most people.

This. I went on a company vacation to Puerto Rico back in November, and my ping actually improved...

Daywolf
03-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Yep, west to east coast is generally +100ms+, even if you are pinging ~20ms on local servers. We have a second-world internet system in the US, and legislated into the mud (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/obamas-regs-will-make-internet-slow-as-in-europe-warn-fcc-fec-commissioners/article/2560567) now.

Lemonhead
03-06-2016, 06:01 PM
The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, so at lets say 5000 miles round trip the best you could theoretically get is 27 ms. Processing at your computer and theirs takes probably 25ms (is that the best anyone gets?) I suppose passing through routers along the way slows it down the rest of the way?

Or, maybe it takes that indirect of a route.