PDA

View Full Version : Considering a reroll

xaxis
02-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Title speaks for itself. I just started on P99 but already find myself getting, not bored per se, but unconcerned? Wondering if r99 might offer a little more spice. Before I do though I'd like to be informed. I never did PvP on live so what do I need to know? What happens when I die? As in, how much money/xp do I loose? Can player's take my gear? Etc. etc.

SamwiseRed
02-14-2016, 03:05 PM
we are currently pushing for when you die in game, you die in real life. hopefully that answers some questions.

Samsung
02-14-2016, 03:06 PM
Title speaks for itself. I just started on P99 but already find myself getting, not bored per se, but unconcerned? Wondering if r99 might offer a little more spice. Before I do though I'd like to be informed. I never did PvP on live so what do I need to know? What happens when I die? As in, how much money/xp do I loose? Can player's take my gear? Etc. etc.

No xp loss on pvp death.
You lose any money you have on you after a pvp death. (As long as they loot you)
No item loot with pvp deaths.
Welcome to Red99.

TheBiznessTZ
02-14-2016, 03:07 PM
R99 is set that good spice, what's the point in grinding gear if you can't use it to kill people?

Videri
02-14-2016, 03:09 PM
we are currently pushing for when you die in game, you die in real life. hopefully that answers some questions.

What a helpful guy.

xaxis
02-14-2016, 03:36 PM

Not really but where do I sign up? :-P

xaxis
02-14-2016, 03:37 PM
No xp loss on pvp death.
You lose any money you have on you after a pvp death. (As long as they loot you)
Welcome to Red99.

Coo, thanks for the quick response and actual answers.

Jazzy
02-14-2016, 03:39 PM
i've already died 7 times irl

SamwiseRed
02-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Not really but where do I sign up? :-P

i like your attitude. ill help you out later once you log on. just leave your in-game name, class, and starting city.

pro tip, join <Thunderdome> asap for help.

Tassador
02-14-2016, 04:20 PM
No xp loss on pvp death.
Welcome to Red99.

but what about the people who grief lowbies with fungus tunics? Or what about the horrible trolls on the boards and OOC. I just can't get pass that as an adult male so I will stick to blue.

xaxis
02-14-2016, 04:32 PM
but what about the people who grief lowbies with fungus tunics? Or what about the horrible trolls on the boards and OOC. I just can't get pass that as an adult male so I will stick to blue.

I'm not so concerned by this. There have always been twinks and always been griefers. I think I'd rather have someone just blitz me and move on or force me to move on than have someone force their way into my camp and steal my shit anyway. Granted, I'm saying that before actually trying it but I guess I'd rather be ganked outright than have someone manipulate the game to kill me. I dunno, seems more "honest"?

As for the text based flames, I choose what I read and I've been known to make a neckbeard or two cry in my day.

xaxis
02-14-2016, 04:34 PM
i like your attitude. ill help you out later once you log on. just leave your in-game name, class, and starting city.

pro tip, join <Thunderdome> asap for help.

Noted ;)

Tune
02-14-2016, 05:10 PM

you wont be very concerned with 1 player per zone

or will you

xaxis
02-14-2016, 05:40 PM
you wont be very concerned with 1 player per zone

or will you

BohmBohmBoooohhhhhmmm

vouss
02-14-2016, 05:42 PM
you literally lose nothing when you die in pvp

I will make your life living hell on this server

xaxis
02-14-2016, 05:55 PM
you literally lose nothing when you die in pvp

I will make your life living hell on this server

From what I've seen about pop on r99, you'll have to find me first...

cronik
02-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Beat someone up on the first day and don't drop the soap

Hahaha just kidding you're gonna get your shit pushed in for a while no matter what you do. If you develop situational awareness and get good at moving during pvp you'll do fine.

easy_lee
02-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Beat someone up on the first day and don't drop the soap

Hahaha just kidding you're gonna get your shit pushed in for a while no matter what you do. If you develop situational awareness and get good at moving during pvp you'll do fine.

There are druids on the server who have never been YT'd. Red ain't as hard as you pretend.

xaxis
02-14-2016, 09:48 PM
There are druids on the server who have never been YT'd. Red ain't as hard as you pretend.

This raises the million-Times-asked question: what to roll? WE drood or HE chanty?

SamwiseRed
02-14-2016, 09:55 PM
This raises the million-Times-asked question: what to roll? WE drood or HE chanty?

what did you main on blue? what classes do you already know?

server always needs clerics. roll druid if you dont ever want to rely on anyone.

xaxis
02-14-2016, 11:04 PM
15 sham on blue, 60 ranger on live, played sk/monk/pally as well. But I r literate so I can always read a guide for the fundamentals/theory of any class. Only classes I have absolutely zero interest in is wizard and warrior.

cronik
02-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Melee is supremely gear dependent. Like, twinks will have better gear than you for weeks/ months. It's a huge time investment and liably selling out to have a semi-competitive one on r99.

They're great later on but you'd have to play the long game with them and you'd pretty much always have to party. You can't just go camp your own gear or solo effectively.

People keep recommending things like Druid and necro (enchanter is ok too I guess but I find them clunky and slow for solo) because you can solo well with them. I.e. You'd enjoy the journey to endgame more. You also wouldn't automatically die to twinks.

Pretty much comes down to whether you wanna enjoy the ride more or you want to join empire for phat loot and have no idea what to do with it since you have very little idea how to actually pvp in EQ (which is its own beast, no matter what others may say. You WILL die to ignorance, a lot, having no idea what the proper response is in most scenarios). The mistake lots of bluebies make is to plan for endgame pvp instead of what's fun to play along the way, so IMO don't stress what's good as a geared 60 and focus more on what sounds fun (necro in dungeons like lguk, Dru for ports/dots/heals/escape/quadding/etc, enchanter for charming, etc.

Oh, and Enchanter on pvp is HORRIBLE to level solo tho IMO. Pretty much the worst thing that can happen to you in EQ pvp is getting jumped while you have something charmed. Personally I'd scratch enchanter off the list if you want to solo a lot since they can't travel worth a damn and their primary method of xp'ing is a PKers wet dream.

xaxis
02-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Oh, and Enchanter on pvp is HORRIBLE to level solo tho IMO. Pretty much the worst thing that can happen to you in EQ pvp is getting jumped while you have something charmed. Personally I'd scratch enchanter off the list if you want to solo a lot since they can't travel worth a damn and their primary method of xp'ing is a PKers wet dream.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad to know that, based on this response, I'm in the right mindset at least as a lot of what you said is stuff I've tried to take into consideration.

cronik
02-14-2016, 11:47 PM
You'll do fine if you're comfortable with that kinda stuff.

There's just a steep learning curve with movement, plugging, pumice, buff stacking orders, zone-dancing, constant /who and how to deal with that information, knowing what resist thresholds matter and what to cast and not cast on opponents, etc.

It can all be learned but it's definitely something you want taught to you after you get your feet wet. EQ pvp is less about raw stats and knowing when to cast what and from where, and why you should do a particular action. Takes a while to train yourself to instinctively react correctly.

Just try not to get discouraged because you're a sheep sitting down to play poker against clever wolves who learned all this stuff decades ago.

barrettdc1
02-15-2016, 12:38 AM
Roll a chanter, you'll always find groups. That makes a great class cause if for some reason you can't find a group, you can always charm solo. I only have one class on this server since I started a couple months ago, and its a chanter. I'm having a great time. I played a warrior on live back in 2001 so its a big change, but I like it.

As far as griefers go, yea they'll be there, but if you can get in with a good group of people and practice pvp tactics, it becomes fun, even when you die. Just convert the cash you need to carry into peridots, and you wont have a problem losing anything if you're pk'd.

And yes, join Thunderdome, we'll welcome you with open arms. Lots of great people in the guild, all willing to help.

barrettdc1
02-15-2016, 12:42 AM
Don't listen to that guy about Enchanters. The only thing is that enchanters aren't quite viable in PVP until 44+. That being said, you'll fly through the levels if you get in with some good groups. Tash + Incap + slow + charmed mob beating on someone can have great results unless they're some uber twinked resist gear toon.

easy_lee
02-15-2016, 01:02 AM
If you're going to play druid, play a halfling. They have the best racial abilities so no reason not to. For enchanter, play dark elf for racial hide, which isn't very useful but is good sometimes. Or play gnome to be small, which is a bigger deal than you might think, even for an enchanter.

barrettdc1
02-15-2016, 01:04 AM
If you're going to play druid, play a halfling. They have the best racial abilities so no reason not to. For enchanter, play dark elf for racial hide, which isn't very useful but is good sometimes. Or play gnome to be small, which is a bigger deal than you might think, even for an enchanter.

Either dark elf or high elf. I chose agnostic high elf and got a Goblin Gazugi Ring cause thats an easy ass camp..and if you want to be a gnome, you have the illusion.

Colgate
02-15-2016, 01:37 AM
enchanters are great sub 50, they can actually kill people then since most don't have much MR gear, have clickies, or carry cure poison potions

they peak at 59/60 though when rapture makes them the best gank squad class in the game

cronik
02-15-2016, 03:05 AM
Is that what r99 is these days? You all just party together and kill mobs together like a big ol band of merry faggots?

It's depressing how quickly you all jump in and talk about grouping. So glad I don't play on this shitty box.

Grouping takes all the challenge and risk out of EQ, doubly so on a pvp server. Lameasses.

Semmysosa
02-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Is sneak worth the lower CHA for a charming Druid? I always played WE but if it has PvP connotations I would be willing to switch to hairy feet and stocky females.

Baugi
02-15-2016, 12:41 PM
CHA doesn't effect druid/shaman charm (or shouldn't at least).

Tassador
02-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Melee is supremely gear dependent. Like, twinks will have better gear than you for weeks/ months. It's a huge time investment and liably selling out to have a semi-competitive one on r99.

They're great later on but you'd have to play the long game with them and you'd pretty much always have to party. You can't just go camp your own gear or solo effectively.

People keep recommending things like Druid and necro (enchanter is ok too I guess but I find them clunky and slow for solo) because you can solo well with them. I.e. You'd enjoy the journey to endgame more. You also wouldn't automatically die to twinks.

Pretty much comes down to whether you wanna enjoy the ride more or you want to join empire for phat loot and have no idea what to do with it since you have very little idea how to actually pvp in EQ (which is its own beast, no matter what others may say. You WILL die to ignorance, a lot, having no idea what the proper response is in most scenarios). The mistake lots of bluebies make is to plan for endgame pvp instead of what's fun to play along the way, so IMO don't stress what's good as a geared 60 and focus more on what sounds fun (necro in dungeons like lguk, Dru for ports/dots/heals/escape/quadding/etc, enchanter for charming, etc.

You'll do fine if you're comfortable with that kinda stuff.

There's just a steep learning curve with movement, plugging, pumice, buff stacking orders, zone-dancing, constant /who and how to deal with that information, knowing what resist thresholds matter and what to cast and not cast on opponents, etc.

It can all be learned but it's definitely something you want taught to you after you get your feet wet. EQ pvp is less about raw stats and knowing when to cast what and from where, and why you should do a particular action. Takes a while to train yourself to instinctively react correctly.

Just try not to get discouraged because you're a sheep sitting down to play poker against clever wolves who learned all this stuff decades ago.

Is that what r99 is these days? You all just party together and kill mobs together like a big ol band of merry faggots?

It's depressing how quickly you all jump in and talk about grouping. So glad I don't play on this shitty box.

Grouping takes all the challenge and risk out of EQ, doubly so on a pvp server. Lameasses.

Hahaha all this text not a word read and guy mad as fuck.

Baugi
02-15-2016, 12:46 PM

100% of my deaths are from grouping; shit's dangerous.

Semmysosa
02-15-2016, 12:48 PM
So being smaller would be the only benefit besides 5% experience bump and sneak?

Baugi
02-15-2016, 12:58 PM
So being smaller would be the only benefit besides 5% experience bump and sneak?

You forgot the +1 bunsfordays

Platexchange
02-15-2016, 12:59 PM
From what I've seen about pop on r99, you'll have to find me first...

Not gonna lie, I chortled hard. Welcome noobie look shody up I'll pl you on weekends if you go melee

Semmysosa
02-15-2016, 01:12 PM
I've woke up with worse.

cronik
02-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Hahaha all this text not a word read and guy mad as fuck.

You're confusing "mad" with "disdain because you're a bunch of hand-holding bluebies"

Xaanka
02-15-2016, 05:32 PM

yeah, that's literally 3 advantages halfling has that you just listed

human is the best druid though, because nobody thinks you're a druid.

easy_lee
02-15-2016, 06:01 PM
human is the best druid though, because nobody thinks you're a druid.

Valid and meta.

Xaanka
02-15-2016, 07:08 PM
half-elf too. shit i forgot they could even be druids. human's a little stealthier when you're geared because you can wear robes and unequip epic, but for a leveler or 55 twink even the most decked out human/half elf druid looks like a noob bard wearing rags without the epic equipped, if you avoid elder spiritist (green tinted) pieces. shit with velious you don't even need to wear the bright yellow giveaway efreeti boots, coldain skin look like regular leather.

xaxis
02-15-2016, 07:42 PM
How does treeform act in PvP? Can player's tell? Or can I become the forest before unleashing the fury of nature to destroy my enemies as they walk, unsuspecting, beneath my splendid wooden might? (I.e. can I use it to hide like a puss and wait for people to stroll away?)

easy_lee
02-15-2016, 09:45 PM
How does treeform act in PvP? Can player's tell? Or can I become the forest before unleashing the fury of nature to destroy my enemies as they walk, unsuspecting, beneath my splendid wooden might? (I.e. can I use it to hide like a puss and wait for people to stroll away?)

It doesn't always behave correctly.

xaxis
02-15-2016, 09:57 PM
It doesn't always behave correctly.

Not exactly the answer I was looking for but not wholly unexpected...

Godly
02-15-2016, 11:01 PM

A good player wouldn't fall for it.

Xaanka
02-15-2016, 11:35 PM
you can trick bad players with it in certain zones. you'd be surprised how well it works against inexperienced players. but anyone good is going to have a /who /target name macro spamming on you if you're being elusive.

reminds me of all the times i p*wned people by dropping a piece of copper and minor illusioning into it on live. even tricked someone by turning into a stove in the middle of Oasis once. sucks that p99 doesn't have awesome classic as fuck mechanics like that.

Kergan
02-16-2016, 03:54 AM
Not exactly the answer I was looking for but not wholly unexpected...

When people zone in after you've illusioned they see you as your normal race just normalized size. Hard to explain, but that is why you see giant ass gnomes and shit.

Colgate
02-16-2016, 04:08 AM
depends on the illusion

i think tree and object illusions don't work unless they're in zone when you cast it

racial illusions will work though

Smurn
02-16-2016, 05:39 AM
Macro name: Identify
/who
/guildstatus
/con
/hide
/sneak

Decent?

Kergan
02-16-2016, 05:55 AM