PDA

View Full Version : State of Red 1999

Grandbeard
02-12-2016, 07:20 PM
Well it is 6 PM Eastern on Friday February 12th and there is a grand total on 97 people on the server. I have been a member here for a few months and sadly the server population seems to be in steady decline.

So that got me wondering if there are any plans down the road to restart the whole server from scratch with a heavy promotion push. The reason I bring this up is because of other games that have done this. Shadowbane used to wipe some of their servers every couple of years to allow new players a chance to jump in on a level playing field. Those servers became the most populated servers because it did allow new players a chance to compete.

As it stands right now, basically this server is in decline and I see no way that it will rebound in its current state. With twinks relentlessly pking new players in lowbie gear, over and over, it makes playing for a lot of new people, pointless.

Discuss! :cool:

Baler
02-12-2016, 07:29 PM
People losing interest and core members sticking around until the end of time is pretty standard in the EMU scene. I'm actually kind of blown back by the number of people who are unfamiliar with how a emulated server fairs over the course of time.

On the subject of doing a wipe so its a clean slate for new comers. You'll piss off vets/ once in a blue moon players and some of those people may quit. Is that worth the few new people who join?

Edit: also 90 people online and none of them are boxxing,. I'd say population is fine. Could be a helllll of a lot worse.

Grandbeard
02-12-2016, 07:37 PM
People losing interest and core members sticking around until the end of time is pretty standard in the EMU scene. I'm actually kind of blown back by the number of people who are unfamiliar with how emulated server fair over the course of time.

On the subject of doing a wipe so its a clean slate for new comers. You'll piss off vets/ once in a blue moon players and some of those people may quit. Is that worth the few new people who join?

What players? The server is dead. Most zones have 1 person in it. At some point the server will become irrelevant. Is that the goal here? I thought the goal of P1999 Red was to be a PvP server, not a ghost town where twinks endlessly gank the few new players who join the server, over and over.

I get that some days (raids) can have a better population but more and more the server is heading down the path of "why bother logging in". PvP requires people to play, quality PvP requires that there is somewhat of a level opportunity for players to engage each other.

I can't imagine that a lot of the remaining core pvpers wouldn't love having a server population of 500 - 600 players. I bet there would be huge interest in this from all kinds of players. This would be even more potent since WoW is losing so many players due to the state of PvP in the current Xpac.

NarcolepticLTD
02-12-2016, 07:42 PM
#RedLivesMatter

Spit
02-12-2016, 07:47 PM
Server is literally the same since last year

Cross server trading being disallowed hurt people even bothering to try it out , let alone make the switch

Much of the negatives people from blue see in red such as potential griefing / being completely out geared is made up by fast xp rate and open zones and camps.

Thulack
02-12-2016, 07:49 PM
What players? The server is dead. Most zones have 1 person in it. At some point the server will become irrelevant. Is that the goal here? I thought the goal of P1999 Red was to be a PvP server, not a ghost town where twinks endlessly gank the few new players who join the server, over and over.

I get that some days (raids) can have a better population but more and more the server is heading down the path of "why bother logging in". PvP requires people to play, quality PvP requires that there is somewhat of a level opportunity for players to engage each other.

I can't imagine that a lot of the remaining core pvpers wouldn't love having a server population of 500 - 600 players. I bet there would be huge interest in this from all kinds of players. This would be even more potent since WoW is loosing so many players due to the state of PvP in the current Xpac.

There are plenty of advantages to play on red then blue and see how much that attracts people? EQ was never ment to be a PvP heavy game and was never balanced properly. 17 years later with the advancement of true PvP gaming EQ pvp just looks that much worse and not even worth investing the time in doing it. Red was basically where a few true EQ PvPers went, all the blue outcasts that had been shunned off the server went, people who wanted to abuse the economy of a low pop server that you could trade back and forth with blue server to make free money and maybe even RMT. Thats what red is.

Spit
02-12-2016, 07:55 PM
There are plenty of advantages to play on red then blue and see how much that attracts people? EQ was never ment to be a PvP heavy game and was never balanced properly. 17 years later with the advancement of true PvP gaming EQ pvp just looks that much worse and not even worth investing the time in doing it. Red was basically where a few true EQ PvPers went, all the blue outcasts that had been shunned off the server went, people who wanted to abuse the economy of a low pop server that you could trade back and forth with blue server to make free money and maybe even RMT. Thats what red is.

I would agree with abusing the economy to go back to blue with tons of plat as that was my initial intentions on red when the huge population boom happened in 2014 October , but honestly pvp really isn't that bad and once I got my first 60 toon I never looked back

There is still MUCH pve to be had on red, but I completely understand that it's not for everyone but to not try it or give it a shot based on forumquest and speculations isn't very good

Daywolf
02-12-2016, 07:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/58qJ0TT.gif

Grandbeard
02-12-2016, 07:56 PM

When I started a few months ago the population was 170+ during peak every day I logged in. often it was well over 200. Now it is under 100. So sorry this is not how it has always been, even in the short term.

I am not for cross server trading because I think it destroys the integrity of the server. That said, someone twinked with 300K in gear mowing new players down in MM or Unrest is by far the most pathetic form of PvP. Especially when that person does it over and over again.

Then you have the people training because they are OOR from their victims. This is not pvp at all yet seems to be rampant.

I played through it which is the way I am.

Spit
02-12-2016, 07:58 PM
When I started a few months ago the population was 170+ during peak every day I logged in. often it was well over 200. Now it is under 100. So sorry this is not how it has always been, even in the short term.

I am not for cross server trading because I think it destroys the integrity of the server. That said, someone twinked with 300K in gear mowing new players down in MM or Unrest is by far the most pathetic form of PvP. Especially when that person does it over and over again.

Then you have the people training because they are OOR from their victims. This is not pvp at all yet seems to be rampant.

I played through it which is the way I am.

No offense but even coming from red if the server lacks one thing it's integrity

There was a lot more cross server trading done for people to level up characters to not grief rather then to make mm and unrest twinks. Even then you're out of that level range within an hour, maybe MM a tad bit longer

Colgate
02-12-2016, 07:59 PM
outlawing cross-server trades was the nail in the coffin

but this has been a repeating theme of red99: server is thriving until a decision by the staff throws us back into the dark ages

we saw it happen many times, for example the several times the exp bonus was nerfed as the population was building up, and within a week the average primetime population would drop by 50-150

cross-server trade removal didn't cause anyone to quit, but it killed off pretty much the only avenue left for recruiting new players to the server, so now the server is slowly bleeding out numbers

Baler
02-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Let's be serious. Shut down blue.
http://i.imgur.com/vwn5pXh.gif

Grandbeard
02-12-2016, 08:14 PM
No offense but even coming from red if the server lacks one thing it's integrity

There was a lot more cross server trading done for people to level up characters to not grief rather then to make mm and unrest twinks. Even then you're out of that level range within an hour, maybe MM a tad bit longer

Not quite sure what you were trying to say here.

khysanth
02-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Consider blue

Grandbeard
02-12-2016, 08:17 PM

but this has been a repeating theme of red99: server is thriving until a decision by the staff throws us back into the dark ages

we saw it happen many times, for example the several times the exp bonus was nerfed as the population was building up, and within a week the average primetime population would drop by 50-150

cross-server trade removal didn't cause anyone to quit, but it killed off pretty much the only avenue left for recruiting new players to the server, so now the server is slowly bleeding out numbers

I am all for a PvP server with Players. In your opinion, would cross server trades boost the player base again?

Ragnaros
02-12-2016, 08:33 PM
I do not recommend this server, stay far away from it. There is no raid pvp and its currently peaking at 100 people primetime when the top guild isn't raiding. The top guild raids with 150 people uncontested and the next thing to competition is lower guilds that cant even field 20. Server is dead and not worth rolling, the community is also very toxic. Stay far away.

Grandbeard
02-12-2016, 08:45 PM
I do not recommend this server, stay far away from it. There is no raid pvp and its currently peaking at 100 people primetime when the top guild isn't raiding. The top guild raids with 150 people uncontested and the next thing to competition is lower guilds that cant even field 20. Server is dead and not worth rolling, the community is also very toxic. Stay far away.

Actually I would disagree somewhat. I am in a guild called Thunderdome on the server and we have some excellent members. I have also met several other players in game who are super helpful and very knowledgeable.

As with most things, often the most toxic people are the most vocal. What this server desperately needs is another 1000 - 2000 players in the overall player base that play at least 3 times a week.

For a free game that should not be too hard to achieve with the right promotion and right vision.

#MAKEP1999REDGREATAGAIN

Pope Hat
02-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Red would be the best server if it weren't for all the PvP.

Sektor
02-12-2016, 10:43 PM
Yeah I'm pretty confused on the CSR decision making when it comes to red, so many poor decisions and it's hurt the server. Blue is so over populated I never understood why the csr staff would not allow 1 time server transfers from Blue to Red.

Also the Derubael bannings (Not including myself) screwed over a lot of Red Players and in the end we find out he was dirty.

Speedi
02-12-2016, 10:56 PM

Everything you said is probably accurate. But one thing that would help your server is for people to stop the trolling and griefing the new blood on your server. Without that new blood, red99 *WILL* die. Myself I have *never* played on red99. But I read the forums. I know everything is not true, I am not that naive. But when you have 15-20 people all saying the same thing, some of it has to be true. Maybe with your guilds influence on red99 you guys could help with the griefing and trolling. Maybe new players could ask empire for assistance to run a griefer out the zone. That's an example of course. Maybe you could come up with something even better. Just a thought! :)

Kakadoody Boi
02-12-2016, 11:00 PM
Well it is 6 PM Eastern on Friday February 12th and there is a grand total on 97 people on the server. I have been a member here for a few months and sadly the server population seems to be in steady decline.

So that got me wondering if there are any plans down the road to restart the whole server from scratch with a heavy promotion push. The reason I bring this up is because of other games that have done this. Shadowbane used to wipe some of their servers every couple of years to allow new players a chance to jump in on a level playing field. Those servers became the most populated servers because it did allow new players a chance to compete.

As it stands right now, basically this server is in decline and I see no way that it will rebound in its current state. With twinks relentlessly pking new players in lowbie gear, over and over, it makes playing for a lot of new people, pointless.

Its friday night and people are out living their lives lol R E L A X

Kakadoody Boi
02-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Confirmed butt hurt lol come on rag ur better than that!

Lojik
02-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Blue is so over populated

Blue is definitely NOT overpopulated, sorry. Most zones don't have that many people in them on blue either, it's just that the majority just flock to the same damn zones. 20% are in ec, 20% are in tov, 10% in kc, 10% in seb, and the rest spread out. Outside the aforementioned zones (in primetime) probably an average of 3 people per zone. Blue is top heavy, but not overcrowded

Sage Truthbearer
02-12-2016, 11:07 PM
I'm shocked that no one wants to play on a single player version of EQ where a single guild farms raid content with no one in the common areas.

Greenreefer
02-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Red 99 is awesome. Sure, lots of the lower lvl zones are empty but velious/OOT and other popular zones aren't always empty. Personally I like playing on a server that isn't overcrowded

Classic PVP with no hacks >>

iruinedyourday
02-13-2016, 12:13 AM
Farm what you want when you want. What's not to love!

iruinedyourday
02-13-2016, 12:15 AM
Blue is definitely NOT overpopulated, sorry. Most zones don't have that many people in them on blue either, it's just that the majority just flock to the same damn zones. 20% are in ec, 20% are in tov, 10% in kc, 10% in seb, and the rest spread out. Outside the aforementioned zones (in primetime) probably an average of 3 people per zone. Blue is top heavy, but not overcrowded

Problem is. That 1 person in each zone is permasocking the only mob worth killing in it..

Ravager
02-13-2016, 05:04 PM
Doesn't the red server have its own sub-forum to complain about the dead server?

Jauna
02-13-2016, 05:23 PM
The only way to save both Red and Blue is to use Red as the prison/containment server.

Repeat offenders against the Play Nice Policy get sent to Red with little to no chance of returning.

Blue players rejoice at a cleaner, more efficient server
Red gets their lambs to slaughter
Everybody wins.

Speedi
02-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Everybody wins.

Lol

AzzarTheGod
02-13-2016, 05:54 PM
The only way to save both Red and Blue is to use Red as the prison/containment server.

Repeat offenders against the Play Nice Policy get sent to Red with little to no chance of returning.

Everybody wins.

And release Luclin on red.

Baler
02-13-2016, 05:56 PM

That would put a REALLY great image on red. A bunch of degenerates who can't play nice.

Anyone who says it's that way now has never spent large amounts of time on red. There are some really nice people who are willing to help you out. not everyone is a cutt throat murdering two timing yellow belly dirt bag.

Idk maybe i'm just lucky but most Red players aren't the people who forum quest and RnF all day. This is in my experiance. But I like red so maybe i'm bias, idk.

I find red to be the opposite of blue. You're better off trying to communicate and talk with people, actually be social. Blue is so anti social it's painful.

Jauna
02-13-2016, 05:58 PM
Lol

Honestly if I was into PvP in MMOs I would be all over this idea. Have the GM/Guide have a little ceremony about it, Broadcast it to Blue to scare the buttnuggets strait and transfer/copy the offender to Red and announce it in a generic "Welcome to Red, fresh from Blue, heres some new meat for all of you, welcome %t" fashion you see in TV/movies all the time.

Id have to buy me one of these shirts just to wait for said announcement.
http://i.imgur.com/EhQOsAr.jpg

Jauna
02-13-2016, 06:00 PM
That would put a REALLY great image on red. A bunch of degenerates who can't play nice.

Thats.. the point of Red.

Have an argument over a spawn? Kill em
Have an argument over some loot? Kill em
Have an argument on whos elf looks the best? Rants and Flames

These folks on Blue who dont wanna play nice but are also protected under the no Blue umbrella?

Take away the umbrella and see how they really do.

Baler
02-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Thats.. the point of Red.
It is not the point of red from my understanding to be a prison that smells like piss and shit.

If you send the lowlifes on blue to red. They wont magically become nice people. They'll continue their trash on red.

Jauna
02-13-2016, 06:05 PM
The point of red is not to be a prison that smells like piss and shit.

And from the sounds of people always making threads here to recruit people to red
People making "tryredtoday" alts and dying in newbie areas
And that one guide Dababell or something really pushing it
And adding massive exp bonuses
And adding protection to newbies..

And all of those attempts failing..

Well, let me just say Red does not sound like sunflowers and sunshine

AzzarTheGod
02-13-2016, 06:15 PM
And from the sounds of people always making threads here to recruit people to red
People making "tryredtoday" alts and dying in newbie areas
And that one guide Derubael or something really pushing it
And adding massive exp bonuses
And adding protection to newbies..

And all of those attempts failing..

Well, let me just say Red does not sound like sunflowers and sunshine

You know why Derubael was recruiting so hard?

Well I'm not gonna tell ya. Looking back on the recruiting spree and using the /BROADCAST system to advertise for red99 and making big changes to red99 to grow the server (new players buy new gear hint hint)

Wow.

Jauna
02-13-2016, 06:20 PM
If you send the lowlifes on blue to red. They wont magically become nice people. They'll continue their trash on red.

PvP was ment to be cutthroat.

If you want gentlemanly duels at dawn to decide who gets to kill/pull/loot Emperor Crushbone, you can do that on blue with the /duel command.

And lets face facts, this is a population issue, back then, PvE servers dominated population, even now I think EQLive only has one PvP server out of like the 10 they have now, not many people loved the idea of getting ganked. Even now on Blue people even hate the chance at dying with a long corpse recovery, now throw in the awkwardness of having a group disrupted by an epic'ed rogue slaughtering mid 20s groups out just because.

Look at the people who hunt in Mistmoore, Karnors, CoM. Easy zones, binds nearby, always people around.

People DO NOT WANT the added stress of wiping or getting killed while exping, because that is not the EverQuest most people remember as they played on blue servers back on live.

Baler
02-13-2016, 06:22 PM
PvP was meant to be cutthroat.
Fixed :cool:

Jauna
02-13-2016, 06:25 PM
Fixed :cool:

Taking little potshots at my typing will not spark interest in Red99.

Colgate
02-13-2016, 06:39 PM

server peaks at 100 players but we raid with 150? wut

also side note: this poster is currently suspended for upwards of 8-12 months for repeated rule violations

Colgate
02-13-2016, 06:40 PM
I am all for a PvP server with Players. In your opinion, would cross server trades boost the player base again?

slowly but surely yes

Colgate
02-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Everything you said is probably accurate. But one thing that would help your server is for people to stop the trolling and griefing the new blood on your server. Without that new blood, red99 *WILL* die. Myself I have *never* played on red99. But I read the forums. I know everything is not true, I am not that naive. But when you have 15-20 people all saying the same thing, some of it has to be true. Maybe with your guilds influence on red99 you guys could help with the griefing and trolling. Maybe new players could ask empire for assistance to run a griefer out the zone. That's an example of course. Maybe you could come up with something even better. Just a thought! :)

the only way we could "run a griefer out of the zone" would be to make an army of twinked alts to cover all level ranges

or people could actually listen to the very commonly spoken advice of "level in zones other than unrest, mistmoore, and city of mist"

in any case, most people who cite red99 griefing refer to higher level pvp taking place.. at which point you just simply don't like pvp to consider getting attacked grief

Ragnaros
02-13-2016, 08:51 PM
server peaks at 100 players but we raid with 150? wut

also side note: this poster is currently suspended for upwards of 8-12 months for repeated rule violations

is your reading comprehension lacking? maybe you should of attended those classes instead of raiding on a dead server. My quote clearly says 100 when top guild isnt raiding
no competition and avatar of war still aint dieing
cringe dude go outside

Colgate
02-13-2016, 09:02 PM
sorry assumed it was a copy/paste of this post

I do not recommend this server, stay far away from it. There is no raid pvp and its currently peaking at 100 people primetime. The top guild raids with 150 people uncontested and the next thing to competition is lower guilds that cant even field 20. Server is dead and not worth rolling, the community is also very toxic. Stay far away.

Baugi
02-13-2016, 09:31 PM
in any case, most people who cite red99 griefing refer to higher level pvp taking place.. at which point you just simply don't like pvp to consider getting attacked grief

"higher level pvp" on the server is pretty much all griefing now, yes. I've never seen someone initiate PVP with the goal of contesting a camp or taking a spawn or even pocketing the guy's wallet. It's all just breaking up groups and getting easy kill messages because EQ PVE requires too much resource investment to be PVP'ing simultaneously.

Ragnaros
02-13-2016, 09:42 PM
try blue today
youll get just as much pvp as red has

Colgate
02-13-2016, 10:37 PM
gettin a good chortle of anti-red99 ragnaros now that he's suspended for 8 months

jpetrick
02-13-2016, 10:50 PM
Didn't play on red long enough to experience raiding but I did take my monk up to 50. People were friendly & generally nice.
My biggest complaint is that the players I ran into were just generally bad at the game, in both pvp and pve. I'm sure it would have been better if I took the toon all the way to 60 but when you go from a near best in slot blue monk to a monk in cloth again it just isn't enjoyable and I couldn't stick with it.

Ragnaros
02-13-2016, 11:20 PM
gettin a good chortle of anti-red99 ragnaros now that he's suspended for 8 months

yea man my level 46 shaman got shipped to guantanamo bay for a week, my life is in shambles

krazyGlue
02-13-2016, 11:25 PM
stay away from red. The server is garbage there is only 1 end game raiding guild that already fields over 100 players and when their not raiding the population is sub 100. Sometimes diping into the low 30s . Zerging ruined red pvp and pve the only reason Colgate is lobbying for new players is because he is currently just about bis in velious gear and he has no1 to use his shiny pixels against

Xulia
02-14-2016, 12:26 AM
I've seen a lot of arguments against joining Red, but I'll at least give it a try. Worst case scenario, someone ends up camping my lower level toon and have fun while they're doing it. That's fantastic. And if it's as full of those people and as "Join or Die" with its higher levels as you say - I say challenge accepted. This sounds like the equivalent of an EQ pacifist run since I've no intention of ever killing another player. Making a Red toon!

TheBiznessTZ
02-14-2016, 01:08 AM
I've seen a lot of arguments against joining Red, but I'll at least give it a try. Worst case scenario, someone ends up camping my lower level toon and have fun while they're doing it. That's fantastic. And if it's as full of those people and as "Join or Die" with its higher levels as you say - I say challenge accepted. This sounds like the equivalent of an EQ pacifist run since I've no intention of ever killing another player. Making a Red toon!

A lot of TMO members did this. Would just stand there and die when engaged in pvp

TheBiznessTZ
02-14-2016, 01:10 AM
yea man my level 46 shaman got shipped to guantanamo bay for a week, my life is in shambles

Would love to see your rogue or monk logged I and prove us wrong.

Morningbreath
02-14-2016, 01:19 AM
The problem with Red is most of the people who initiate PVP are deleveled or twinked. When there's no level restriction on gear it makes PVP a complete joke.

Xaanka
02-14-2016, 01:32 AM
stay away from red. The server is garbage there is only 1 end game raiding guild that already fields over 100 players and when their not raiding the population is sub 100. Sometimes diping into the low 30s . Zerging ruined red pvp and pve the only reason Colgate is lobbying for new players is because he is currently just about bis in velious gear and he has no1 to use his shiny pixels against

Server reject who's been playing red since day 1 and nobody will let him in their guild yikes

Server reject who's banned for repeatedly breaking rules

pro tip for blue players: don't listen to these guys

This is literally what I do. Occasionally hyper nerds who are losing the server will link my PVP score and laugh at me, but I'm currently enjoying the hell out of myself raiding casually and seeing all the content + loot those players won't ever touch. There is zero penalty for dying to pvp on p99 red except for going back to your bind and losing your mana. There's a couple other players left on the server who also play like this.

krazyGlue
02-14-2016, 02:03 AM
Above player is 1 of the 100 warm bodies in the Zerg . Please disregard his post

Colgate
02-14-2016, 02:27 AM
weird post by someone who applied and got denied

Xaanka
02-14-2016, 04:33 AM
Above player is 1 of the 100 warm bodies in the Zerg . Please disregard his post

I think it really bothers you deep down inside that you've been farming fungis since the day kunark came out, and you're so invested (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213084) in this game while <Empire> gives casual schedule players like myself an opportunity to get the best items the new expansion pack has to offer that you'll never have a chance of seeing, all the while I continue to play on a much more casual basis than you. Got 2 best in slot items this week with maybe 15 hours online total.

Blue players take note: You can be the best EQ player in the world and fail, the key to success on red is "don't be socially retarded"

Godly
02-14-2016, 05:26 AM
I think it really bothers you deep down inside that you've been farming fungis since the day kunark came out, and you're so invested (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213084) in this game while <Empire> gives casual schedule players like myself an opportunity to get the best items the new expansion pack has to offer that you'll never have a chance of seeing, all the while I continue to play on a much more casual basis than you. Got 2 best in slot items this week with maybe 15 hours online total.

Blue players take note: You can be the best EQ player in the world and fail, the key to success on red is "don't be socially retarded"

Lol'd when you said 15 hours a week was casual play.

Xaanka
02-14-2016, 06:15 AM
Lol'd when you said 15 hours a week was casual play.

it all has to be taken in context, i'm quoting a nerd who plays 15 hours a day

Ragnaros
02-14-2016, 11:40 AM
hehe got some real mad ppl in here
enjoy your dead box

Xulia
02-14-2016, 12:04 PM
Took a bit of getting used to, but it's been fun so far. I haven't abandoned Blue entirely; I have all my friends in Charm to consider and those guys are one of many reasons I enjoy playing. For the time being though, Red looks fun. And I think I can be crafty enough to stay under most radars. Even if I'm found out, I won't fight back or engage in comba. This probably sounds really pretentious, but I'd rather die knowing the other person doing the killing is enjoying causing harm to a virtual presence simply for the joy of causing harm and not for any narrative purpose or glory - A lot like a sadist would.

feanan
02-14-2016, 12:32 PM
So, basically, a lot of you seem to be playing on red 99 with zero intentions of pvp.

It appears you are just there for the easy experience bonus and empty loot camps.

Eh, at that point, you might as well just go to ezserver or whatever

Xulia
02-14-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm really just bored.

Feanol
02-14-2016, 02:35 PM

I'd argue that lowbie PvP has been in decline lately. I remember seeing Global Yellow Text coming out of Unrest and Mistmoore nearly every 20 minutes or so, but lately it seems a lot of the dungeon pvp'ers are on hiatus. I can't remember the last time I saw Yellow Text come out of Unrest. Mistmoore kills are rare too but I still do see a few.

Since the release of Velious so many lowbie gankers are back to playing their Main most of the time because there's a lot of new gear and new fun to be had. The reason Red had so many twinks running around in the past was because Kunark was going into year 4 and bored 60's with top-tier gear would pour platinum into PvP-oriented alt characters.

Red is top heavy just like Blue. It can certainly feel like a wasteland out in the 1-30 zones but we're up here waiting for you if you gain the levels. I'm having so much fun with my crew these days. <3

Platexchange
02-15-2016, 10:09 AM
First off, OP complaining about low pop on Valentine's Day weekend. Yes we have basement dwellers but some people do have shit to do on weekends. Monday-Fri pop floats around 200-275 which it has been for the last year or so. The problem red has to deal with is the few trolls like ragnaros, smedy, slather, and a few others. I love my red pals and trolling happens, but what they say on here is not at all indicative of the server state. We do have some future plans to run special events to bring new players to red, so keep a look out! Also if you are starting out and want a bit of a power level feel free to message me during the weekends

Love

Shody

immaterial
02-15-2016, 03:09 PM
my group and i actually moved over to Red recently. we think it's great. good exp bonus and very little competition for camps. we get most zones to ourselves and are leveling quickly. there's 4 of us, too, so we don't feel as much in danger as if we were playing alone. we've only seen a few other people within PvP level range so far, and they were all alone and gave us a wide berth.

we have zero intention of doing PvP, though. we're just there because it's got exp bonus and we get zones to ourselves--although the potential for PvP does add a bit of spice and danger to it all. there have also been some hilarious fratricide incidents.

Aesop
02-15-2016, 03:12 PM
nothing wrong with playing on a pvp server with no intention of ever PVPing imo

iruinedyourday
02-15-2016, 03:15 PM
hehe got some real mad ppl in here
enjoy your dead box

this guy invested 90% of his IRL into 3 years of red99 and was not able to down any velious mobs so he quit.

Damn
02-15-2016, 07:18 PM
my group and i actually moved over to Red recently. we think it's great. good exp bonus and very little competition for camps. we get most zones to ourselves and are leveling quickly. there's 4 of us, too, so we don't feel as much in danger as if we were playing alone. we've only seen a few other people within PvP level range so far, and they were all alone and gave us a wide berth.

we have zero intention of doing PvP, though. we're just there because it's got exp bonus and we get zones to ourselves--although the potential for PvP does add a bit of spice and danger to it all. there have also been some hilarious fratricide incidents.

You're literally why this server is shitty good luck on your empire app baby zergling

AzzarTheGod
02-15-2016, 07:26 PM
this guy invested 90% of his IRL into 3 years of red99 and was not able to down any velious mobs so he quit.

Sounds about right, but it wasn't his call. His leaders failed him.

immaterial
02-15-2016, 07:47 PM
You're literally why this server is shitty good luck on your empire app baby zergling

this doesn't make any sense.

Xaanka
02-15-2016, 11:30 PM
So, basically, a lot of you seem to be playing on red 99 with zero intentions of pvp.

It appears you are just there for the easy experience bonus and empty loot camps.

Eh, at that point, you might as well just go to ezserver or whatever

yA man if u want to wait in line for a FISHBONE EARRING [lol this seriously happens on blue post velious i cant even make this up, u guys had a thread about fishbone ear having 5 hour line last month and people were acting like thats normal] and sit in a zone for 16 hours tracking for FTE put ur name on the list otherwise u may as well go to ez server

pve players come to red because the raiding rules aren't total garbage that makes the game unplayable like the blue server. encounters are also significantly harder on red because there isn't item recharging, red's only for the most skilled players you feel me?

Grandbeard
02-16-2016, 12:15 AM
The problem with Red is most of the people who initiate PVP are deleveled or twinked. When there's no level restriction on gear it makes PVP a complete joke.

Actually I hate level restrictions for most gear. In WoW there is no restriction on who you can kill lol. So a level 100 can mow down lvl 10s in contested zones.

The problem is not twinking, its people who intentionally want to see the server lose players, especially new ones. How else can you explain someone who is very twinked, ganking someone who is clearly in newb gear over and over and over.

I have seen the very same twinked player PK those in range to him and then train people OOR, repeatedly. The same guy then started KSing mobs we pulled. He was reported by everyone in our group and yet the next day he was back at it all over again.

There was no indication that anything was done to the griefer.

Grandbeard
02-16-2016, 12:21 AM
First off, OP complaining about low pop on Valentine's Day weekend. Shody

Actually the pop has been dropping every week I have been here. There are a few peaks when raid guilds head on but I have noticed a steady decline. So... :rolleyes:

coldslaw
02-16-2016, 01:04 AM
How else can you explain someone who is very twinked, ganking someone who is clearly in newb gear over and over and over.

Inferiority Complex

Grandbeard
02-16-2016, 01:25 AM
encounters are also significantly harder on red because there isn't item recharging, red's only for the most skilled players you feel me?

Well that is only one thing that makes it harder. Your allies can harm you, stun etc.

Godly
02-17-2016, 01:08 AM
Just delete blue99.

unleashedd
02-17-2016, 03:48 AM
me and my brothers been enjoying the exp bonus, the empty camps, and we are supercasual (3-4 hours a week). our endgame plan is to either join the zerg (if they'll have us) for raiding opportunity and/or going around the world, 3v1 or 2v1 anyone we come across. see you on RED

citizen1080
02-17-2016, 11:24 PM

Everybody wins.

So Red = Australia?

Grandbeard
02-18-2016, 11:54 PM
me and my brothers been enjoying the exp bonus, the empty camps, and we are supercasual (3-4 hours a week). our endgame plan is to either join the zerg (if they'll have us) for raiding opportunity and/or going around the world, 3v1 or 2v1 anyone we come across. see you on RED

Welcome to red :)

Grandbeard
02-19-2016, 07:27 PM
Well 6PM EST and the server is under 100 again. So much for VD weekend being the issue.

Glosk
02-20-2016, 01:24 AM
Few of us tried red from blue, nearly full group. I'm really the only one left from the group, but I'm mostly back to blue now. Why?

1) Pvp felt extremely unbalanced, twinks, need I say more

2) Organized pvp was non-existence. Where are guild wars? Where are battles of land/territory or just honor?

For our group, these two were the deal breakers for us to stay. I think if enough effort and cooperation is put into this server, it will thrive and be exciting. We liked the aspect of adventuring to ghost zones (like cazic thule) and xp'ing there because of the xp bonus.

How to fix this? Easier said than done, perhaps I'll try to stab at this beast for a moment and see what happens.

1) Place a resistance cap on each level so a level 20 with 150 MR will not happen. Still favor the twink but not as heavily.

2) Limit guilds to 20 members max. This will allow a more disjointed look to the server and populate server with guilds instead of most everyone on the server in one or two guilds.

--- Let's look at this more closely. Instead of having maybe less than 5 guilds on the server and where 1 or 2 have the majority of players, you will have 20+ guilds and these guilds will join a cause, a faction.

We can design two new factions on the server: Let's say the good guys will be "Freeport Militia" and the bad guys "Dark Brotherhood" (just suggestions). Each guild will align themselves with one of these factions. Once aligned, they will engage the enemy at all cost and fight for their cause.

** These factions will be posted on the forums and each newly formed guild will sign-up. **

Something like this:

Freeport Militia
-------------------
Guild 1
Guild 4
Guild 6

Dark Brotherhood
----------------------
Guild 2
Guild 3
Guild 5

Guilds that don't align themselves to a faction are FFA to both factions.

I know this will be a lot of work to establish and surely there will be lots of questions concerning this, but at this point to save this server, everyone has to put some individual effort. Leaders will need to arise and communicate an effort between guilds to shift into newer and smaller guilds and align themselves to a faction.

Is this idea even possible? I like to come back to red but the current state doesn't appeal to me so I'm proposing this scenario. Again, I understand a lot of effort will be required for something like this to have a chance, but with cooperation I think it's possible.

Comments?

Slathar
02-20-2016, 01:27 AM
shut the fuck up idiots ur clueluess, if u come to red ill fucking destroy u

Fawqueue
02-20-2016, 02:25 AM
Few of us tried red from blue, nearly full group. I'm really the only one left from the group, but I'm mostly back to blue now. Why?

2) Organized pvp was non-existence. Where are guild wars? Where are battles of land/territory or just honor?

For our group, these two were the deal breakers for us to stay. I think if enough effort and cooperation is put into this server, it will thrive and be exciting. We liked the aspect of adventuring to ghost zones (like cazic thule) and xp'ing there because of the xp bonus.

How to fix this? Easier said than done, perhaps I'll try to stab at this beast for a moment and see what happens.

1) Place a resistance cap on each level so a level 20 with 150 MR will not happen. Still favor the twink but not as heavily.

2) Limit guilds to 20 members max. This will allow a more disjointed look to the server and populate server with guilds instead of most everyone on the server in one or two guilds.

--- Let's look at this more closely. Instead of having maybe less than 5 guilds on the server and where 1 or 2 have the majority of players, you will have 20+ guilds and these guilds will join a cause, a faction.

We can design two new factions on the server: Let's say the good guys will be "Freeport Militia" and the bad guys "Dark Brotherhood" (just suggestions). Each guild will align themselves with one of these factions. Once aligned, they will engage the enemy at all cost and fight for their cause.

** These factions will be posted on the forums and each newly formed guild will sign-up. **

Something like this:

Freeport Militia
-------------------
Guild 1
Guild 4
Guild 6

Dark Brotherhood
----------------------
Guild 2
Guild 3
Guild 5

I know this will be a lot of work to establish and surely there will be lots of questions concerning this, but at this point to save this server, everyone has to put some individual effort. Leaders will need to arise and communicate an effort between guilds to shift into newer and smaller guilds and align themselves to a faction.

Is this idea even possible? I like to come back to red but the current state doesn't appeal to me so I'm proposing this scenario. Again, I understand a lot of effort will be required for something like this to have a chance, but with cooperation I think it's possible.

Comments?

There's only two things I know of that might fix the issues with Red. The same two techniques we've been using for many years to fix things that aren't operating like they should. Unplug it, let it sit for a few minutes, and restart to see if it's any better. And if that doesn't work just beat on it with your fist a few times and see if it clears up. Have we considered this yet?

bloodmuffin
02-20-2016, 06:44 AM
yoink*

Grandbeard
03-31-2016, 12:55 PM
WIPE AND REBOOT~ Please advertise well before the wipe and reboot.

heartbrand
03-31-2016, 09:22 PM
WIPE AND REBOOT~ Please advertise well before the wipe and reboot.

Swish
03-31-2016, 09:36 PM
More people should give it a try. That's the sensible answer amid all this crazy talk.

Xaanka
03-31-2016, 09:38 PM

Something like this:

Freeport Militia
-------------------
Guild 1
Guild 4
Guild 6

Dark Brotherhood
----------------------
Guild 2
Guild 3
Guild 5

Comments?

wtf is this stupid shit. didn't read. we don't want your dumb blue raiding rules on red thx bye

Suntrader
03-31-2016, 11:16 PM
Wipe red, start a new blue server - better use of server resources.

Swish
03-31-2016, 11:20 PM
Wipe red, start a new blue server - better use of server resources.

Everyone would jump ship though, old blue would be the new red.

immaterial
03-31-2016, 11:54 PM
red is fine. pvp will always have a low population in any MMO. nothing you can do to fix that short of taking out the pvp rules. red's pvp rules are already super lax and peeps still won't bite.

Grandbeard
04-01-2016, 12:49 AM
red is fine. pvp will always have a low population in any MMO. nothing you can do to fix that short of taking out the pvp rules. red's pvp rules are already super lax and peeps still won't bite.

If that was the case then why did this server have active pops over 500ppl?

immaterial
04-01-2016, 12:52 AM

how long did they have that pop? if it wasn't long, then it was probably just novelty.

Telron
04-01-2016, 12:57 AM
EQ PVP Sux. Thats why no one plays it.

syztem
04-01-2016, 03:03 AM
eq pvp is great, people who think otherwise either suck at pvping or have never tried or.

Xaanka
04-01-2016, 03:08 AM
its me, i'm the guy who spent 4 hours typing up post #432523 about how much it sucks to play on blue, who's too afraid to try red

Efwan
04-01-2016, 03:14 AM

Red never had 500 :rolleyes:

unleashedd
04-01-2016, 09:52 AM
eq pvp has a steep learning curve. the server is pretty dead thou, so newbs have a decent playground to try it. the pvp ruleset allows for some cool "blue" tactics (your groupies can root your charmed pet, you can lifetap/manatap your groupies for clutch hp/mp bump...)

Centurionx
04-01-2016, 11:01 AM
I considered playing on red at first, and then I saw the population..

Besides, I didn't have the fondest memories of RZ either

Buncha clowns ganking noobs in cloth armor, that is not pvp :D

iruinedyourday
04-01-2016, 01:31 PM
We dont have item loot so everyones wearing 80+ resists so it IS pvp on red99

Martin
04-01-2016, 10:57 PM
The initial group of players that started on Red, a large amount used an exploited quest that was rewarding platinum to players in Misty Thicket. The GMs were informed and did nothing but fix the quest a few hours later. The players that exploited stuck around, had a huge head start, and a few used that to grief new players that tried to start on the server.

Swish
04-01-2016, 11:04 PM
The initial group of players that started on Red, a large amount used an exploited quest that was rewarding platinum to players in Misty Thicket. The GMs were informed and did nothing but fix the quest a few hours later. The players that exploited stuck around, had a huge head start, and a few used that to grief new players that tried to start on the server.

That sounds like foul play to me. On that basis a wipe and fresh start of red would be most welcome, with item loot <3