PDA

View Full Version : Considering rolling ...

Jmcwrestling
02-12-2016, 03:05 AM
Hi there, never played pvp in EQ but am considering rolling a toon to try it out. Currently considering either a druid, wizard or a mage and was looking for insight on how well they perform. Thanks in advance!

Kevynne
02-12-2016, 03:15 AM
Hi there, never played pvp in EQ but am considering rolling a toon to try it out. Currently considering either a druid, wizard or a mage and was looking for insight on how well they perform. Thanks in advance!

do you want pvp-oriented class or farming oriented?
raid/supporting allies in pvp friendly or 1v1 oriented?

Jmcwrestling
02-12-2016, 03:17 AM
Well, I guess from a 1v1 standpoint would be best. Im aware how each class works, just never experienced any class from a PvP standpoint. I would prefer one that is capable of actually winning a fight :P

Kevynne
02-12-2016, 03:25 AM
Well, I guess from a 1v1 standpoint would be best. Im aware how each class works, just never experienced any class from a PvP standpoint. I would prefer one that is capable of actually winning a fight :P

enchanter, necro, wizard, mage, druid, shaman, monk

bubur
02-12-2016, 03:27 AM
first things first: now that you've made a thread, you need to understand how ppl communicate on r99. forums are a meta game of real eq, generally only for the highest level chars. they're not exactly correlative for low level r99 play. unfortunately the forum chat bleeds into ooc, therefore:

more important than class: never get swayed into not having fun. dont ever worry about dying. if you're here to try pvp in eq as you say, then do it yo. dont listen to ANYONE who tries to tell you to stop. its really rewarding when you kill someone, but its not a big deal if you die. a lot of us are jaded from the raid scene. its a small community so almost everyone here posting is high level and involed with the raid scene in some shape or form. you have to level before you understand why people are so pissed (and by the time you get relevant in the raid scene, you can freely make your own decision and not get mad bout it) so dont worry about it now and have a blast

that said, druid is an awesome first choice. sow, port, nukes.

wizard is good too, but not quite as friendly as druid. you get better nukes and yonder, which helps displace you, but without the knowledge of clickies, pots and all that stuff (which comes with pvp experience) druid is better

mage pets are awesome for leveling up like 1-20, after that easier to kite as a dru or wiz anyway. pets are also great for pvp in low levels but at high levels they're easy to mess with (fear, mez, charm insta kill). not to mention a big part of pvp is inevitably about zone lines, and as a mage you have to make your pet every time you zone..

try a druid imo. and dont listen to anyone that appears negative about the server below this post

Jazzy
02-12-2016, 03:35 AM
Best advice ^

Honestly just never trash talk too hard, never take trash talk too hard and generally try and be cheery throughout your time here and you'll be goog

TheDuck
02-12-2016, 03:39 AM
he just asked for advice on best pvp 1v1 and u guys told him a druid.

Godly
02-12-2016, 03:44 AM
Druid is a best first choice for many reasons. You could use the heals, ports and buffs as a way to help you get ahead of the game. Having ports and SoW will allow you to travel the world easly. You could also just as easily make money porting and powerleveling player's alts. Good luck mate.

TheBiznessTZ
02-12-2016, 03:44 AM

For a first sever character and having utility and support and offensive power Druid is great, And they're decent a 60.

bubur
02-12-2016, 03:50 AM

realistically best class 1v1 depends on your gear/experience, in no particular order

my main point actually is that if one wants to experience eq pvp, above all they should play a class they love and possibly even know well. youll have an easier time feeling out how things versus players act relative to npcs.

heck i would even recommend playing a necro if op liked it. they do well in the right circumstances and can really draw a player into r99 permanently with that experience

if we're talkin best 1v1, gimie a zone, a gearset, group size on the other side of a zone (i mean 1v1 really?)

Jmcwrestling
02-12-2016, 03:56 AM
I take it the 1v1 scenario really isn't as common as I assumed? :P
Druid interests me for exactly the reasons mentioned. However, i was't sure how well any of the classes would do in a PvP situation. If the group battle scenario is more common, that would make me feel more comfortable as a mage tbh. I have a lot of fun on my necro on blue so I'd be willing to consider it as well.

bubur
02-12-2016, 03:57 AM
to add on that: if you happen to be very familiar with a melee class from your time on blue, beit a monk rogue sk warr, whatever. you can do well in pvp in the long run. you'll have a harder time in the early game due to being gear dependant, but we have an exp mod. later you'll have the benefit of knowing how to play your class at high level

tho... that mostly flies out the window with pvp as there are too many differences between npc and players

TheBiznessTZ
02-12-2016, 03:58 AM
Druid interests me for exactly the reasons mentioned. However, i was't sure how well any of the classes would do in a PvP situation. If the group battle scenario is more common, that would make me feel more comfortable as a mage tbh. I have a lot of fun on my necro on blue so I'd be willing to consider it as well.

A Mage is prob the worst pvp character you could make.

bubur
02-12-2016, 04:00 AM

dont get me wrong. fast forward level 60. youll zone into OT one day and depending on your player faction there will be a good ol boy waiting for you. 1v1 time or run.

or, you zone randomly and there's a perfect target. 1v1 time.

it happens, a lot.

but it shouldnt b your focus as a new player, tbh. you need friends

TheDuck
02-12-2016, 04:15 AM
yea if your question was, how do i start playnig this server. your first task is going to be to make friends, not try to pvp. your going to want to make a class that gets groups easily.

once you have done about 50 peoples epics, i'd say then u can make your own pvp character (rogue/sk) and gear it up with the help of your friends.

Jmcwrestling
02-12-2016, 04:19 AM

Hmm, that's a little disheartening since i really do love mages.

I guess I say 1v1 just in the sense that I want a fighting chance to win, if i get jumped at some point. So lets say Druid vs Necro as far as which to play. Ignoring which would be more fun to play, which would likely be a better PvP class?

bubur
02-12-2016, 04:54 AM
you'll always have a chance to win 1v1 with whatever class you play. but there are gambling odds at play. a big part of it is knowing who you're fighting. is it a twink? is it an empire gear dude? whether or not you take your chances it depends on a wide variety of factors, which is the whole experience of r99.

let's say, you dont care, youre there farming a bracer of the hidden or ggr in loio. you're monitering /who because you're on a red server. you probably have a directional key bound to it. you recognize a name come in that is known for screwing pups over. your choices? keep your camp, hold your ground, see what happens, run like a cowardly dog?

that's what r99 is about

in the end it has little to do with classes but more to do with names. but at the beginning when you don't know names, you just need to have what it takes to defend yourself or gate. that already narrows the classes quite a bit if you're the gating variety.

if you're asking druid vs necro, all you need to do is roll one and find out. the answer is differnt if you're asking high versus low level.

assuming you're a well-tuned blue machine, necros arent good in pvp at high level, simply because dots arent as good as dd for various reasons. youll figure it all out. but as a lowbie necro.... if thats all you want to do... you can wreck other lowbies with stacking dots before they know whats up. its a good class

AND with experience, you'll find they have usage at high level pvp too.. its just not in dotting much.

hope that helps. i vouch druid for lowbie

bubur
02-12-2016, 05:04 AM
oh one last thing, since i like this thread

there are high level mages on r99. they exist. that is all

bubur
02-12-2016, 05:10 AM
once you have done about 50 peoples epics, i'd say then u can make your own pvp character (rogue/sk) and gear it up with the help of your friends.

just one example of the jaded population of r99, agatha (duck avatar) has been here since the beginning and has mostly negative things to say. been absorbed and rejected by player guilds through time

its acceptable these days so just expand your political mindset and embrace it. youll have a great time.

Izmael
02-12-2016, 06:35 AM
I wouldn't recommend mage as first PvP character. Druid / wiz / shaman / necro for sure. I find necro particularly fun to PvP with.

hurt
02-12-2016, 09:57 AM
I'd recommend a druid. They can hold their own againstmost classes and have great group utility/synergy.

You won't die as much as you can pretty much run away from most classes and survive. Which makes them a fun class for harassment too.

Pros:

Speed - sow and cheetah (offense, defense, escape)
Buffs - resists and hp buffs are a great aid
Heals - group utility
Unresistable dot
Decent debuffs
Teleports and evacs

Cons

Vulnerable to resists. FR is easy to raise to 220 nullifying your offense
The general playerbase know how to dispel dots.

I had a lot of fun playing a druid here and felt likr they were a top tier pvp class. They can do well without gear too, which is a huge plus.

Pitborn
02-12-2016, 10:02 AM
Druid or Necro.. chances are you will be playing alone depending on the time of night you are on.

Hiyodori
02-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Hmm, that's a little disheartening since i really do love mages.

I guess I say 1v1 just in the sense that I want a fighting chance to win, if i get jumped at some point. So lets say Druid vs Necro as far as which to play. Ignoring which would be more fun to play, which would likely be a better PvP class?

In the end, play what you want to try. Mages are not very good in pvp, especially against skilled players. Because of two reasons...

1) pet can be easily managed by many of the strong classes, insta-killed from bards, enchanters, they also can't zone which is HUGE

2) mages are the only caster class that has no shielding to absorb some damage, there is a PoA ring that you can use once before you have to recharge it, but that really doesn't count bc it's somewhat pricey and you will need a wizard friend willing to bring you up to the PoA. In simple terms, you will die faster than any class in the game. You are simply the biggest glass cannon on the field W/O cc. Running will be the majority of your pvp experience.

Hiyodori 60 magician

miraclegrow2
02-12-2016, 09:06 PM
glass cannon would imply a mage can even do damage, without lures they cant do shit.

Hiyodori
02-12-2016, 09:33 PM
good point, "glass pea shooter" (then again the pet can do dmg from time to time depending on what class/classes u r fighting) :rolleyes:

iruinedyourday
02-12-2016, 10:04 PM

http://i.imgur.com/JZPxkft.gif?gifm

Uuruk
02-12-2016, 10:20 PM

Holy shit lol

iiNGloriouS
02-12-2016, 10:43 PM

Jmcwrestling
02-12-2016, 11:30 PM
I assume an enchanter would fair similarly to a mage with a charmed pet?

Uuruk
02-12-2016, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't play a Mage. Other than that everything is cool. Chanters are great

Uuruk
02-12-2016, 11:39 PM
glass cannon would imply a mage can even do damage, without lures they cant do shit.

Your unresistable Malo is very good.

Hiyodori
02-12-2016, 11:47 PM
Enchanters are Gods in pvp, even vs good players. Here is a comparison to illustrate...

Enchanter:

- unresistable mez, normal mez (they can kill u with guards around you np)
- tash (unresistable resist debuff, very quick cast, this means their dd/cc can land)
- can have a pet, which is great dmg, but not necessary
- has an absorb shield which equates to not being nearly as squishy as a mage
- clarity (do I need to say more)
- did I mention they can insta kill pets with charm (so balanced...)

Magician
- Malo (great spell, but LONG casting time for unresistable version and think it only lowers about 20 points)
- Fire nukes, ( many sacrifices to the Gods must be prepared for this land on a descent geared lvl 60, well geared 60 = the Gods have limits too)
- no CC, unless you get the surprise on someone in the middle of the zone near no zoneline (which will not happen vs good players unless they are AFK, you will not get many kills bc they have legs, root spells, etc.)
- Pet is fantastic, his resists are not =(

One thing about mages I should say are strong is they are good at holding (not killing any1 getting YT but just holding it down) a zoneline with a person or two at your side if you are doing team pvp. They are pretty good at team pvp to some extent bc of the chaos and less people focusing on your pet (and hopefully not u). But solo pvp, you MUST get the jump on someone, and to be honest and frank, good players are not sitting around waiting to get ganked, they are running around macroing /who in the zone and hunting you when u enter the zone, but don't worry it will only take you about 2 to 3 minutes to fully setup your pet. Hope this helps. ;)

Jmcwrestling
02-13-2016, 01:38 AM
Well as of now, I have created a druid and an enchanter and am going to start working on them and see which i fall for, wish me luck :D

Ragnaros
02-13-2016, 02:18 AM
Enchanters are Gods in pvp, even vs good players. Here is a comparison to illustrate...

Enchanter:

- unresistable mez, normal mez (they can kill u with guards around you np)
- tash (unresistable resist debuff, very quick cast, this means their dd/cc can land)
- can have a pet, which is great dmg, but not necessary
- has an absorb shield which equates to not being nearly as squishy as a mage
- clarity (do I need to say more)
- did I mention they can insta kill pets with charm (so balanced...)

Magician
- Malo (great spell, but LONG casting time for unresistable version and think it only lowers about 20 points)
- Fire nukes, ( many sacrifices to the Gods must be prepared for this land on a descent geared lvl 60, well geared 60 = the Gods have limits too)
- no CC, unless you get the surprise on someone in the middle of the zone near no zoneline (which will not happen vs good players unless they are AFK, you will not get many kills bc they have legs, root spells, etc.)
- Pet is fantastic, his resists are not =(

One thing about mages I should say are strong is they are good at holding (not killing any1 getting YT but just holding it down) a zoneline with a person or two at your side if you are doing team pvp. They are pretty good at team pvp to some extent bc of the chaos and less people focusing on your pet (and hopefully not u). But solo pvp, you MUST get the jump on someone, and to be honest and frank, good players are not sitting around waiting to get ganked, they are running around macroing /who in the zone and hunting you when u enter the zone, but don't worry it will only take you about 2 to 3 minutes to fully setup your pet. Hope this helps. ;)

pretty accurate

Ordrek
02-13-2016, 07:40 AM
Buddy is rolling out an Ogre SK. What would be a good duo partner? Thinking either a Shaman or Cleric.

I'll probably play an enchanter by myself when he isn't online.

Izmael
02-13-2016, 11:33 AM
Troll shaman obviously.

easy_lee
02-13-2016, 01:54 PM
Buddy is rolling out an Ogre SK. What would be a good duo partner? Thinking either a Shaman or Cleric.

I'll probably play an enchanter by myself when he isn't online.

Troll shaman or delf cleric. Shaman is better duo.

miraclegrow2
02-13-2016, 03:19 PM
another ogre sk

this is a pvp server are you stupid?

easy_lee
02-13-2016, 03:24 PM
another ogre sk

Only if they both have 200k+ to spend on twinking.

Ordrek
02-13-2016, 04:19 PM
another ogre sk

My buddy has never played EQ and likes the sound of SK. That is the only reason he chose SK. We don't care if we win. We'll die plenty. Oh well.

Hiyodori
02-14-2016, 01:42 AM
@Ragnaros

Thanks friend, good to see you are still here playing :) . Feel free to add anything to the list bc I know you are a very experienced player.

@Ordek

Easy_lee is correct about the twinking, any melee classes will fall into this category. However, your friend should play what he wishes and an ogre sk can be badass late game. Will be a little difficult in the beginning. But not risk, no reward. Such is life.

As to joining Empire, I have many friends in that guild because I was a part of them. But I think this time around I will have to join a resistance because it has come my time to put in time fighting the zerg. As we all must at one point