PDA

View Full Version : What should happen in a post-sleeper Velious?

Thadeus
02-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Just so my position is clear, I think waking the sleeper was a selfish and petty move to rob the rest of the server of content. I didn't anticipate ever seeing the inside of Sleeper's Tomb, but that's a permanent 4 dragons that nobody will get to slay again, and EQ doesn't need any less things to do. Unfortunately polls can't enforce a 3/5ths law on Taken/Rampage members, so you'll just have to be counted as whole people.

Baler
02-01-2016, 01:55 PM
Restart the sleeper event every 6 months is my vote.
Not allowing the same people to do it the next time, only every other time.
Like a guild raid rotation of sorts.

snow_man
02-01-2016, 01:55 PM
GM's already said they would reset it before Sleeper got woken... Unless you'll have your key in the next few months (aka forsaken/asgard), it won't impact you.

Ele
02-01-2016, 03:19 PM
GM's already said they would reset it before Sleeper got woken... Unless you'll have your key in the next few months (aka forsaken/asgard), it won't impact you.

Got a source for that?

Waking the Sleeper also introduces new content: http://wiki.project1999.com/Essence_Lens_Quest

Sadre Spinegnawer
02-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Reverse the progression. Undo each patch in order, then re-lock Velious, do Kunark-vanilla for 5 years, then relock Kunark, etc., all while at the same time draining chars of exp anytime they kill something, until we all are level one fighting over bone chips. Then restart the progression again.

Zebuxoruk compels you.

Baler
02-01-2016, 03:42 PM
Reverse the progression. Undo each patch in order, then re-lock Velious, do Kunark-vanilla for 5 years, then relock Kunark, etc., all while at the same time draining chars of exp anytime they kill something, until we all are level one fighting over bone chips. Then restart the progression again.

You sadistic fuck,.. I love it! :D

Ravager
02-01-2016, 03:42 PM

I think you're on to something.

azeth
02-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Got a source for that?

Waking the Sleeper also introduces new content: http://wiki.project1999.com/Essence_Lens_Quest

false. unassociated to the sleeper event. this is Luclin.

Daldaen
02-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Luclin launch please.

I want to raid Seru, Vex Thal, Ssra, The Deep and Akheva again please! Fantastic raid mechanics finally come in, great AAs and Spells that balance classes, so gooood

Ele
02-01-2016, 04:11 PM

No, it is a late Velious addition, post-sleeper awakening by Brotherhood of the Spider. Also introduced on servers that hadn't woke the sleeper.

Earliest appearance of Malalafel was September 2001.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=935657&postcount=115

Droog007
02-01-2016, 04:19 PM
No, it is a late Velious addition, post-sleeper awakening by Brotherhood of the Spider. Also introduced on servers that hadn't woke the sleeper.

Earliest appearance of Malalafel was September 2001.

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=935657&postcount=115

Quiet, you ... the sooner they feel they've "won EQ", the sooner they GTFO.

Valura
02-01-2016, 04:23 PM
luclin 2020

dafier
02-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Luclin launch please.

I want to raid Seru, Vex Thal, Ssra, The Deep and Akheva again please! Fantastic raid mechanics finally come in, great AAs and Spells that balance classes, so gooood

I'm with you Dal, but I think another server would be better. And, allow 1 account transfer or copy from current. That would be awesome.

EDIT:

Not just Luclin though. Progress to PoP and stop there. PoP and prior content is amazing. I could get stuck in that world for a long time.

Rogue305
02-01-2016, 06:02 PM
I hope the GM silence on this issue is intentional. Let the dust clear, then reset. If it doesn't reset I'm likely done until next server launch. I came to P99 seeking to farm the warders, met great folks along the way and hoped to get to the end game with them.

I have done all the other content in velious on live but the warders.

am0n
02-01-2016, 06:07 PM
I hope the GM silence on this issue is intentional. Let the dust clear, then reset. If it doesn't reset I'm likely done until next server launch. I came to P99 seeking to farm the warders, met great folks along the way and hoped to get to the end game with them.

My guess is Rogean et. al. were members of Rampage and this is basically them enjoying the last bit of Velious (Waking the Sleeper) before more or less being done with the server. They'll leave it on, sure, but at this point I wouldn't set my expectations very high.

I mean, there was talk of the Discord server that has never happened. My guess is after this many years they are just burnt out and want to move on.

Ele
02-01-2016, 06:33 PM
My guess is Rogean et. al. were members of Rampage and this is basically them enjoying the last bit of Velious (Waking the Sleeper) before more or less being done with the server. They'll leave it on, sure, but at this point I wouldn't set my expectations very high.

I mean, there was talk of the Discord server that has never happened. My guess is after this many years they are just burnt out and want to move on.

The GMs sure don't know what guild they want to be in based on the last 6 years of RNF. First they were in IB, then they were in Dark Ascension, then they were in TMO, then they were in TR, then they were in TMO, now they leave the server after being in Ramp.

Daywolf
02-01-2016, 10:39 PM
bush/towers?

DevGrousis
02-02-2016, 02:08 AM
What I dont understand is why everyone is tripping over them not talking about the Discord Server. Why do they need to? 1) its their own personal project that we're just guests in, and 2) I never got the impression that it was going to be until after the sleeper event was triggered anyways. My guess then, and still now is that it'll probably come sometime around the summer, when traffic is a little slower on the server due to midwesties and eastcoasters actually being able to go outside.

Scryll
02-02-2016, 11:00 AM

http://web.archive.org/web/20011121095444/http://www.mobhunter.com/SiteChannelServlet.html?page=article&articleid=562709230

fan D
02-02-2016, 11:52 AM
luv when ele dunks ppl like that

Blitzers
02-02-2016, 12:11 PM

Zebuxoruk compels you.

Awesome and refund my subscription costs too ;)

Naethyn
02-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Please luclin.

Voland
02-02-2016, 02:40 PM

That's a fun idea! They would also need to add afk xp drain, otherwise someone can just avoid fighting and stay lvl 60...
unless the goal would be to reach lvl 1 and all new chars started at 60?

Versus
02-02-2016, 03:52 PM
luv when ele dunks ppl like that

fact

Shaniril
02-02-2016, 04:36 PM
LOL at everyone that is thinking there's a chance for luclin on p99.

It has been stated so many times over the years that is is never happening here by nilbog and staff that it's not even worth them mentioning again. RIP, now let me enjoy your tears.

Kayso
02-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Shitpost and poll. No option for "Doesn't matter as long as Chest never gets a shroud".

Videri
02-02-2016, 07:30 PM
So, Project 1999 was created by a player who has specifically said he feels Luclin ruined EQ. He created P99 in order to experience vanilla/Kunark/Velious without Luclin. There will be no Luclin here.

The wording "Progress to Luclin: Follow the natural time-line and let P99 continue into Luclin" implies that Rogean is somehow holding P99 back...the devs have to actually re-create much of the content. They're not just copy+pasting from EQ live. There is no "letting" here - it would be a huge amount of work. And they're not getting paid to do it...

Naethyn
02-02-2016, 07:55 PM
Anyone in software development can tell you 6+ years later it doesn't matter what your original plan was. The server has evolved and so has the player base. Just because half a decade ago the originator wanted a classic experience, doesn't mean we have to limit anything because of that. As the server and population stands today, it only makes sense to eventually release Luclin. P99 has impacted more people than anyone probably expected. It goes without saying that the project should be evaluated as we go.

Issar
02-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Green Server 2016!

Psionide
02-02-2016, 08:38 PM
"Luclin onward.. I just can't get onboard with. I played the expansions up to like omens of war. It was all right, but mostly just a big waste of my time.

I'd rather have a completely custom game after Velious than rebuild that fail. Cats on the moon not happening on my watch."

-Nilbog

PS. They also ripped out all the code for AAs and whatever other Luclin stuff, sure that could probably be fixed but would take quite an amount of work and effort but why put all that work and effort into something you don't believe in in the first place?

Llandris
02-02-2016, 08:40 PM

There will be no reset. It's classic.

See Sirkens Sig

Daywolf
02-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Green Server 2016!
Yeah.
Too bad they cant use the original release disk with the original client (the work would be insane). Now that would be real nostalgia for those that play for nostalgia. That good old Graphic-MUD style client :D

ArumTP
02-02-2016, 09:20 PM
CATS FOR THE PEOPLE.

But anyways, all likelihood as for "custom" content I could see the envelope push as far as Stoneburnt mountains, Jaggedpine forest, and Cazic Thule 2.0. Those zones we additions/changes to the original continents, but didn't feel like luclin era/skills needed zones

Hiragawa
02-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Yeah.
Too bad they cant use the original release disk with the original client (the work would be insane). Now that would be real nostalgia for those that play for nostalgia. That good old Graphic-MUD style client :D

"SHHHHH! Be quiet, I'm meditating and have to listen for the giants footsteps!"

Daywolf
02-02-2016, 09:28 PM
"SHHHHH! Be quiet, I'm meditating and have to listen for the giants footsteps!"
hah yeah, by the time the pre-kunark era was ending, things certainly changed a lot, quite a bit easier. Ode to the days of the postage stamp sized view window and needing to have the spell book open to med.

Hiragawa
02-02-2016, 09:32 PM
hah yeah, by the time the pre-kunark era was ending, things certainly changed a lot, quite a bit easier. Ode to the days of the postage stamp sized view window and needing to have the spell book open to med.

"GUYS GUYS! Check it out! My new computer has a 1024x768 resolution for Everquest! I can see an extra foot now!"

Daywolf
02-02-2016, 09:43 PM
"GUYS GUYS! Check it out! My new computer has a 1024x768 resolution for Everquest! I can see an extra foot now!"
Yeah, and the 3D view window was scaled down for that big UI, so we didn't even have full resolution for the viewer. Not even slick shadows or anything. A cellphone would be overkill for that client.
A eqemu thread with examples:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-23797.html

As far as post-sleeper, didn't the spawn get revamped to pre-awakening in some form? As post-awakening content? I think not long after...

topgun1027
02-03-2016, 01:55 AM

See Sirkens Sig

If this is true and we were lied to by gm sources well this is the end of p99 for a lot of people.

Daywolf
02-03-2016, 02:11 AM
If this is true and we were lied to by gm sources well this is the end of p99 for a lot of people.
Sources? Got links or screen shots? This is an old old dead horse topic answered again and again until blue in the face. Guess "a lot" of people are just not so bright? :o

topgun1027
02-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Sources? Got links or screen shots? This is an old old dead horse topic answered again and again until blue in the face. Guess "a lot" of people are just not so bright? :o

Don't need any proof, the gift of common sense is hard to grasp eh?

Daywolf
02-03-2016, 07:48 AM
Don't need any proof, the gift of common sense is hard to grasp eh?
Dude says "this sux" and proceeds to create a game server void of the sucky parts that went into classic EQ. No common about it, just makes sense.
So you have no proof.. :o
yyyu-p

zanderklocke
02-03-2016, 09:00 AM

I don't know why players keep claiming the staff said there will be a reset. I have never seen any official source say they would do a reset. In fact, I remember in a stream hearing Nilbog say that the sleeper not being reset is classic.

Llandris
02-03-2016, 09:35 AM
I don't know why players keep claiming the staff said there will be a reset. I have never seen any official source say they would do a reset. In fact, I remember in a stream hearing Nilbog say that the sleeper not being reset is classic.

You're correct. Who knows though, custom content may involve putting Kerafyrm back to sleep one day. ;)

Prismaticshop
02-03-2016, 09:38 AM
You're correct. Who knows though, custom content may involve putting Kerafyrm back to sleep one day. ;)

Don't say that, Hokushin is going to be on suicide watch !

Daywolf
02-03-2016, 09:47 AM
I remember in a stream hearing Nilbog say that the sleeper not being reset is classic.Yeah it wasn't reset, just revamped in 2002. First to the legends server then some weeks later to the rest. I don't know the details, just model updates and some pre-awakening content/mobs whatever. Was always meant to be a one-off I guess. At least it never turned into a repeatable solo encounter for some lvl105 bard. Custom content would be better, a little bit, I mean that was part of the point of the legends server, though I heard it was a bit lame there.

btw couldnt vote for the last one with "progress" too open for interpretation. No bush/towers, so went for Nowhere :D

Jaleth
02-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Luclin launch please.

But best thing of all, LUCLIN GRAPHICS WOULD BECOME LEGIT AGAIN!

Jaleth
02-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Understand though I would expect this on a custom content server while leaving p1999 blue as it is until the final patch of Velious, forever in the "classic" stasis timeline.

Daywolf
02-03-2016, 10:26 AM
But best thing of all, LUCLIN GRAPHICS WOULD BECOME LEGIT AGAIN!
Only two things I liked about luclin. 1. was that longsword. Yeah, you know, that.. longsword hah. 2. sit animation for wolf form. However, with a ranger main, only one or the other really mattered at any given point in time.

maskedmelon
02-03-2016, 11:00 AM

Zebuxoruk compels you.

This is the best proposal I've seen in a long time! High five!

Rogue305
02-03-2016, 11:32 AM

See Sirkens Sig

If we want to get technical there is precedence on live for resetting thhe sleeper therefore resetting would be "classic". I will admit resetting it was not widely used on all servers, but it did happen.

mjbcb0717
02-04-2016, 07:31 AM
P99 isn't classic....you want classic release the 1999 alpha lol now that was some classic odd looking graphics...ogres looked like upright pancakes and half the time you was Michael Jackson your feet didn't touch the ground when you walked

Nicoladen
02-04-2016, 08:48 AM
The server will close and the staff from P99 will be hired by Daybreak to make 1-2 new classic servers with subscriptions. Max 2 accounts (maybe 3 I can't decide) / subscriptions pr. IP.
The server will follow the classic timeline for expansion releases until it reaches OoW.
Bazinga!

JurisDictum
02-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Luclin does damage the feel of classic EQ. But I guess I'm where most active players on this server are at. Basically, it is worth it. The new abilities, AAs, and Raid Content is worth the hit to the classic feel.

This is particularly true because this server does not feel 100% classic. The player population is much more power gamer oriented, has perfect information, and is extremely top heavy (which happens when a server is locked in content for years).

So to me and many others, Luclin seems like the best future for the people that actually play on p99 a lot.

fadetree
02-05-2016, 03:08 PM
EQ ends at PoP, imo. PoP was the single greatest expansion, in my opinion. Luclin was good, but it's best feature was that it led to PoP.

thufir
02-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Luclin does damage the feel of classic EQ. But I guess I'm where most active players on this server are at. Basically, it is worth it. The new abilities, AAs, and Raid Content is worth the hit to the classic feel.

This is particularly true because this server does not feel 100% classic. The player population is much more power gamer oriented, has perfect information, and is extremely top heavy (which happens when a server is locked in content for years).

So to me and many others, Luclin seems like the best future for the people that actually play on p99 a lot.
I play on p99 a lot. I don't like Luclin. I don't want the servers to go to Luclin. I think the poll reflects that "most active players" who "actually play on p99 a lot" don't want the server to go to Luclin (only 110 of the 382 responses as of this writing have chosen this option). Keep in mind that anyone who is forumquesting probably plays this game an awful lot.

Just saying.

It's probably true among top end raiders that they want Luclin, because they don't want a future of doing nothing but raiding Velious mobs. Maybe that's the perspective where you're speaking of. But it always annoys me slightly when that crew thinks they're the only people on the box who bother playing. You play in a different world than the others do. That's all.

Loke
02-05-2016, 04:53 PM
The way I see it, the P99 staff for the most part has accomplished their originally stated goal of a classic server up to velious, so where they take it now really is up to them. At this point I don't think abandoning the "it's classic" mentality would be a deviation from their original goal.

Personally what I would like to see is them finishing up the final velious era patches, and then looking at later expansions for inclusion with semi-custom content. In the short term, after the final patches, I think a big GM event where the server needs to work together to put the sleeper back to sleep would be cool. I'm just spit balling here, but maybe a war in WW where players align with in game factions like CoV and RoS to defeat the sleeper and whatever dragons are loyal to him. Maybe even get the giants and dwarfs put aside their differences with each other and the dragons for the greater good of Norrath. A giant ring war, or maybe a multi-zone thing where numerous guilds all need to kill the sleeper's lieutenants separately which would enable them to come together for the final fight. We've got some creative people on the staff, I'm sure they could think something up.

Longer term I'd really like to see a custom Luclin. It would probably be quite a bit of work, but I always thought Luclin could have been a better expansion if the Katta / Seru / SH factions played a bigger role. Add some custom quests, or armor quests. Turn those zones into something like Kael - a city for those allied, and a major raid zone for those opposed. Aside from LI Seru and the sigil earring question, I pretty much remember those zones being pretty "meh" for high end players.

That would be my ideal progression, but ultimately the staff needs to decide what they're up for. I wouldnt hold it against Nilbog and the other long term devs if they simply sick of working on this and want a break. From what little I know about Nilbog, my impression is that regardless of what we want he'll end up doing what he wants, so really all we can do is wait for them to decide.

Tankdan
02-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Luclin is the only thing thatd spark my interest in post-sleeper era.

Lojik
02-05-2016, 05:03 PM
it is a big sacrifice waking up at very odd hours, its not healthy and not normal behavior.

Would this resume then?

Raev
02-05-2016, 05:24 PM
It's pretty funny to watch a poll with options about 'stagnating in Velious' when it's been out all of 6 months and Sleeper's Tomb was maybe 10% of the total raid content. Remember, the server sat in Kunark for 5 full years while Nilbog gradually worked on Velious. Also I'm pretty sure Nilbog hates Luclin with a passion.

What I am hoping for: over the next year or so Nilbog/Rogean let the server continue for another year or so sans Sleeper (classic) while they finish the Velious era content. We still have tons of bugs to fix (Paladin/SK defense, nonclassic quests etc, TOV re-itemization) and new zones to implement (Chardok etc). Hopefully they will also implement some sort of correlated spawn mechanism to make the raid scene less of a clusterfuck. Once all the work is done, they have a big GM event and reset Sleeper's Tomb, merge red into Blue, and launch a new Blue server with the correct progression timeline. I'm pretty sure this second Blue server, with a correct timeline, has been Nilbog's goal from the beginning.

Raev
02-05-2016, 06:30 PM
velious for 18 months is in no way classic...

stay salty

CmCKiller
02-05-2016, 06:48 PM
This is just meant to be an experience, of classic. Once you have had your experience and your bored of your lvl 60 go play something else. Remember its just an emu. Once i have had my fill im out of here.
This game is like a roller coaster. You get on it. Then you get off. Whats with all the talk about adding luclin.

CmCKiller
02-05-2016, 06:52 PM
These guys have already done more than i could ever ask for and i have gotten back many great memories of classic. Still havin a blast. Good job guys!

Evia
02-05-2016, 08:23 PM
I'm really amused at all the people that honestly think this server will eventually go Luclin or PoP. Guess I can't fault people for having hope but it's borderline sad to read /watch lately.

Lunababy
02-05-2016, 08:50 PM
This is just meant to be an experience, of classic. Once you have had your experience and your bored of your lvl 60 go play something else. Remember its just an emu. Once i have had my fill im out of here.
This game is like a roller coaster. You get on it. Then you get off. Whats with all the talk about adding luclin.

You have become.... starchild

Lojik
02-05-2016, 09:17 PM
velious for 18 months is in no way classic...

Velious era lasting twice as long as kunark era IS classic, here's to 8 years of Velious!