PDA

View Full Version : What is "grief" on Red99?

Fame
01-27-2016, 04:02 PM
We all see the word a lot, what does it mean to you?

Peer poll for science.

Rallos
01-27-2016, 04:22 PM
Grief = forcing the other guys to raid at 4 am on a weekday while they pretend they don't care about pixels

fan D
01-27-2016, 04:24 PM
i am the one who does the griefing

Fame
01-27-2016, 04:27 PM
i am the one who does the griefing

Vote then

P.s. still crack up about that HT in Solb when you were just getting started ;)

Baugi
01-27-2016, 04:28 PM
"What is griefing?" and "What is grief?" are very different questions. Which are you trying to ask?

Xaanka
01-27-2016, 04:29 PM
Grief = forcing the other guys to raid at 4 am on a weekday while they pretend they don't care about pixels

Fame
01-27-2016, 04:30 PM
"What is griefing?" and "What is grief?" are very different questions. Which are you trying to ask?

It's a poll on 23 year old elf sim forums, don't over think it bud

Baugi
01-27-2016, 04:31 PM
It's a poll on 23 year old elf sim forums, don't over think it bud

Science demands precision.

Fame
01-27-2016, 04:34 PM
I'll go with "What is griefing?", Doctor.

fan D
01-27-2016, 04:35 PM
dont see an option for harm touching someone in your group just because they are low level and you cant resist, and then making up some obvious fake excuse to justify it

Baugi
01-27-2016, 04:46 PM
I'll go with "What is griefing?", Doctor.

Then I'd argue that the poll options don't make much sense. Griefing is defined by the intent of the griefer (i.e. their primary, only?, motivation is irritating the recipient).

If someone trains my group/raid because they want to contest some pixels, their motivation is pixels and I'm pretty OK with that.

If someone trains my group/raid because they want to deny us gear, I'm still pretty OK with that.

If someone trains my group/raid because they want to wank off to the hate tells afterwards, that's griefing.

Fame
01-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Vote: mean words in chat window

Baugi
01-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Vote: mean words in chat window

Demoralizing an enemy could similarly have any of the above motivations.

Fame
01-27-2016, 04:53 PM
If someone trains my group/raid because they want to wank off to the hate tells afterwards, that's griefing.

Seltius
01-27-2016, 05:12 PM
The intent to cause someone else emotional harm or misery for your own amusement.

Examples- Training someone repeatedly intentionally just to do it. Causing intentional Exp deaths. General violations of rules meant to protect yourself and others in an online video game. Behavior that intentionally causes another player emotional or physical harm.

This can be in the form of anything from intentional xp death, to racist, sexist, and other inappropriate text that causes or can cause emotional harm

easy_lee
01-27-2016, 05:23 PM
No such thing. Anything the game allows you to do is implicitly okay. If it's not okay, then the administration needs to patch the server to prevent it.

Repeated kills and/or bind camping: good for dealing with twinks
Raid Disruption: fighting the zerg
Mean words in chat window: Red flavor
Winning the PvP: what bluebie scrubs think griefing means
Petition Quest: why do we even have petitions on this server? The live GMs just suspended everyone involved in petitions and called it a day. /petition to complain about PvP or being camped or trained should result in suspension for the petitioner. Quit wasting our GMs' time.
Shit we did before PnP, LNS and EXP bonus fucked up the server: the good old days.

And you missed training people, which is hilarious and also a good way of dealing with zergs.

In reality, "grief" just means someone is upset over elfsim and ought to chill the fuck out. Revert to classic with item loot, guild or team based PvP, and a few more no drop items. Then disable the petition system and tell people to deal with shit themselves. Everyone wins.

Slowride
01-27-2016, 05:25 PM
Then I'd argue that the poll options don't make much sense. Griefing is defined by the intent of the griefer (i.e. their primary, only?, motivation is irritating the recipient).

If someone trains my group/raid because they want to contest some pixels, their motivation is pixels and I'm pretty OK with that.

If someone trains my group/raid because they want to deny us gear, I'm still pretty OK with that.

SamwiseRed
01-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Grief is trying to find a port on a melee.

Xaanka
01-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Grief is trying to find a port on a melee.

i would know :( blueflower and pals got me good last week

Sear
01-27-2016, 08:26 PM
If there's no post-traumatic stress, it's not griefing.

Griefing is hard work. It's a lifestyle choice.