PDA

View Full Version : why luclin sucks

bubur
01-19-2016, 03:49 AM
slippery slope, though i am of the opinion that eq didnt lose its shit in luclin.. but in ldon. anyway, let's discuss why peeps consider luclin the end of 'classic':

luclin pulled you out of norrath. AAs seem cool to those max-geared leveling lv 60s alts, but i wonder if you really want to bring back the grind-barrier that AAs presented for the regular pleb

lets take some pros/cons in this discussion and i'll start:

pros:
AA's are somewhat absolutely great
odus could use new content
every class becomes half-decent

cons:
player resistance to change
odus is perfect how it is
terrible new models
unbalanced new class
teleporting, nexus, bazaar
horses
vex'thal
unoptimized new content (irrelevant to top velious & some kunark gear)
destruction of lore (not that anyone cares)
beginning of theme-park mmo'ing
mud-flation
AA's grind

AzzarTheGod
01-19-2016, 04:02 AM
luclin pulled you out of norrath. AAs seem cool to those max-geared leveling lv 60s alts, but i wonder if you really want to bring back the grind-barrier that AAs presented for the regular pleb

lets take some pros/cons in this discussion and i'll start:

pros:
AA's are somewhat absolutely great
odus could use new content
every class becomes half-decent

cons:
player resistance to change - OK

odus is perfect how it is - ???

terrible new models - disabled by nilbog already, models stay the same

unbalanced new class - No camps that a Beastlord can do over a Necro, Mage, and Shaman. Shaman retain #1 solo farm class. How does that make beastlords good? They got shit on until 55-60 by my wizard, and then they got shit on a little less.

teleporting, nexus, bazaar -???

horses - bards are already in the game

vex'thal - nobody cares about VT, you just said raiders aren't part of the Luclin decision in your opening statement on AAs???

unoptimized new content (irrelevant to top velious & some kunark gear)

destruction of lore (not that anyone cares) - Lore is stronger than ever up until Planes of Power

beginning of theme-park mmo'ing - How is a full persistent world with 28 massive fully developed fully scaled zones the beginning of theme park MMOing? Sober up before posting.

mud-flation - You know nothing about end-game and you don't raid. velious is the mudflation, Luclin brought a stand-still to mudflation. Velious has +100 HP per item on a lot of stuff, Luclin has none of that. +25, +45 hp max for the most part.

AA's grind -EQ is a grind???

That is a lot of bogus cons listed with a few outright inaccuracies. Possible propaganda and slander hit-piece on Luclin here. Not sure if this is a complete shitpost yet.

Mostly shocked you said Luclin is mudflation when Luclin gear is worse than BIS Velious raw HP wise. Velious has +100 HP already. Not sure you have raided more than a few times.

I predict this thread might be a big hit with the Twitter crowd and the mostly inactive Danes that claim to play here.

bubur
01-19-2016, 04:16 AM
-raiders are absolutely in the decision. red99 is a raider's haven server and luclin initation is a raider-discussion in general
-you're agreeing with me on unoptimized content + mudflation ie literally no reason to release the xpac

vexthal thtill thucks
bazaar thucks

AzzarTheGod
01-19-2016, 04:20 AM
-raiders are absolutely in the decision. red99 is a raider's haven server and luclin initation is a raider-discussion in general
-you're agreeing with me on unoptimized content + mudflation ie literally no reason to release the xpac

vexthal thtill thucks
bazaar thucks

How does bazaar suck on a low pop server though? Its mostly end-game players right?

So how do new guys get stuff without the bazaar? NTOV and <Friends> don't leave camps or raids to go sell 500pp items to new players.

That's the bogus cons I am talking about that you made up. You can talk about Bazaar harming blue, but to red it is a boon.

bubur
01-19-2016, 04:24 AM
na. i see ur point and would invite you to present the pros of luclin

if you leave it to my interpretation...
pros:
new players get new shit in bazaar
nilbog makes all the bad luclin shit go away and we get only the cool stuff

cons:
???

bubur
01-19-2016, 04:44 AM
u guys ever been to pipedream.com?

me neither cuz i made it up. might make some money tho among the 200 p99 players who have 1. estimate .com worth bout $100. wouldnt pay more but i duno how bad u rlly want mooncats

Smedy
01-19-2016, 04:59 AM
Hello, i am smedy.

I'm a everquest expert and professor in elfsim science, here's my opinion

cons:
* even more unbalanced pvp
* instant kill abilities
* insane itemization gap
* safe zones
* horses that make everyone run at bard speed and you can only use them if you have new luclin models enabled
* garbage graphics
* more zones to a server which would thrive with less zones
* playable cats
* terrible lore
* safe zone with trading vendors instantly ruining the dynamic market making it like a diablo auction house which would boost rmt even more.

pros:
* continued donations from heartbrand

LostCause
01-19-2016, 07:03 AM
don't matter how many zones there is ppl always flock to where those pixels are.

Gardur
01-19-2016, 10:09 AM
luclin will never happen because it would require even more work than velious did.

Our devs are volunteers and they are not going to write an entire expansion for our little 200 man box.

Samsung
01-19-2016, 10:16 AM
luclin will never happen because it would require even more work than velious did.

Our devs are volunteers and they are not going to write an entire expansion for our little 200 man box.

They would do it for blue99 tho.

heartbrand
01-19-2016, 10:23 AM

Projects like this typically end up getting sold under the table eventually when the original owner burns out and doesn't want to deal with it / money dries up and no incentive to work on it to drum up donations. To rule out the possibility of Luclin completely or further content, would be naive.

Kergan
01-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Example, BiS Velious shaman: http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1387946
Example, BiS Luclin shaman: http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1387950

Not my magelos just something I googled, but they seem pretty accurate for the most part.

There is about a 10% increase in HP and mana, but a massive increase in resists (nearly double) and mana regen.

So in general, I wouldn't call it a mudflation situation but to make it seem like Luclin gear is no big deal is inaccurate as well. Kunark to Velious was a much bigger gear change though, I'll agree with that.

Smedy
01-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Projects like this typically end up getting sold under the table eventually when the original owner burns out and doesn't want to deal with it / money dries up and no incentive to work on it to drum up donations. To rule out the possibility of Luclin completely or further content, would be naive.

naw, people are here for nostalgia, none of that unclassic bullshit there's a millon emus with luclin

they can easily wipe blue and red... people would cry about it for about 2 months then everyone would be back at the grind having more fun than before, shits classic

heartbrand
01-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Nothing screams classic like a wipe. Remember when they wiped the test server? People were ready to storm Sony HQ. The TEST server. You're playing the wrong game.

Sear
01-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Hello, i am smedy.

cons:
* instant kill abilities
* insane itemization gap
* safe zones
* horses that make everyone run at bard speed and you can only use them if you have new luclin models enabled
* garbage graphics
* playable cats
* terrible lore
* safe zone with trading vendors instantly ruining the dynamic market making it like a diablo auction house which would boost rmt even more.

Yeah.

I actually thought the "Luclin will save Red" was clever trolling at first. That expansion ruined the game.

Disagree on playable moon cats being a con tho.

heartbrand
01-19-2016, 01:57 PM
Verant, from 1999 to 2001, and SOE, from 2001 to 14 January 2004, issued formal statements giving some indications of the number of EverQuest subscriptions and peak numbers of players online at any given moment.[7] These records show more than 225,000 subscriptions on 1 November 1999,[citation needed] with an increase to more than 450,000 subscriptions by 25 September 2003.[8]

seems like subs went up?

AzzarTheGod
01-19-2016, 04:55 PM
Example, BiS Velious shaman: http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1387946
Example, BiS Luclin shaman: http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1387950

Not my magelos just something I googled, but they seem pretty accurate for the most part.

There is about a 10% increase in HP and mana, but a massive increase in resists (nearly double) and mana regen.

So in general, I wouldn't call it a mudflation situation but to make it seem like Luclin gear is no big deal is inaccurate as well. Kunark to Velious was a much bigger gear change though, I'll agree with that.

I assume you play Red99, or played. You know then that the resist increase over 160 BIS is negligible because hard resists start at 145-160+.

Luclin resists are for PvE purposes and place less emphasis on having a bard in every single group.

As far as PvP goes, there is no meaningful change in resists from Velious to Luclin. Velious already cemented hard resists in PvP.

Verant, from 1999 to 2001, and SOE, from 2001 to 14 January 2004, issued formal statements giving some indications of the number of EverQuest subscriptions and peak numbers of players online at any given moment.[7] These records show more than 225,000 subscriptions on 1 November 1999,[citation needed] with an increase to more than 450,000 subscriptions by 25 September 2003.[8]

seems like subs went up?

Looks like subs went up dramatically with the release of Luclin and Planes of Power. Both considered to be "the real EQ" by many players outside of the basements.

Nirgon
01-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Hello, i am smedy.

cons:
* instant kill abilities
* insane itemization gap
* safe zones
* garbage graphics
* playable cats
* terrible lore

pros:
* continued donations from heartbrand

snortled

Also, I'm definitely not AzzarTheGod

Xaanka
01-19-2016, 05:07 PM

seems like subs went up?

warcraft has a lot of subs that doesn't mean it's good

Redi
01-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Urf Karlsson real embarrassing with his obsession

Seltius
01-19-2016, 05:44 PM
*Didn't the Bazaar require you have a character in the marked vendor areas initially? You had to stand on the slightly raised floor under the roof in the stalls in the bazaar and type /bazaar or something. The only time it benefited you really was if you were going to be afk a while or had a second account to set up as merchant. So this wouldn't work on P99 since it would mean either boxing or going afk for extended periods. Red players make jokes about Blue players being afk in EC...

*Other than that I really don't think Cats on the Moon or Lizards in Space was really part of the original VISION Verant and Sony had in mind. It definitely parted from the lore of Norrath.

Making a new guild if Luclin is released called 'Cats on the Moon with friken lazor beams' Try hiding in a corner or anywhere with that guildtag!

*Would hurt Red pvp even further with the introduction of even more zones for people to infrequent?

*Though I think the real difference between SoV and SoL in them releasing it was SoV they kind of had to start from scratch on a lot of things since the coding had been scrapped and changed so many times since release that there was nothing or very little of the original coding available. I think at least the last time I played SoL hadn't changed that much as far as the zones some itemization may have changed and the RoF event was no longer in game but other than that it was mostly intact.