PDA

View Full Version : Incentivizing PvP

easy_lee
01-14-2016, 02:11 PM
PvP is scary. You risk having to do a corpse run and being humiliated through YT. For people to want to PvP, there needs to be incentive.

This was easier during the classic time line because much of the content did not require large raids and the game world was smaller. People would fight over individual camp locations, often in small groups. For our small server population, this was ideal.

In Kunark and, to a greater degree, Luclin, zerg raids are the norm. Most content requires large numbers of people, and non-raiders / new players don't have the gear or numbers to contest. Thus, there's nothing to PvP over. There's no incentive. Most PvP now takes the form of infrequent one-offs and increasingly ineffectual counter-raids.

So what could be done? Besides reseting the timeline to classic, what simple thing could the administration do to encourage PvP here?

Increase the PvP level range?

Offer rewards for PvP kills beyond the platinum people don't even carry?

Change the resist code again? Probably not a good move unless they implemented some sort of partial resist system (80% FR means 80% damage reduction) which wouldn't even be classic.

PvP events?

Implementation of anti-zerg controls?

Vile
01-14-2016, 02:22 PM
heh

shokar
01-14-2016, 02:22 PM
I'd be very happy if people just stopped petitioning after every PVP death.

heartbrand
01-14-2016, 02:24 PM
I'd be very happy if people just stopped petitioning after every PVP death.

do ppl rly still do this?

grannock
01-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Once strength of the elements is in there is gonna be more contestable 3 day spawns. If you want pvp dont burry it at 4am.

Kergan
01-14-2016, 03:37 PM
A lot of problems would be solved if they just added PVP tokens and added like 3rd tier raid equipment to a vendor.

Bokke
01-14-2016, 03:42 PM

I have this ever increasing folder of screenshots, logs, and videos that's only purpose is to protect me when some one is petition questing.

shokar
01-14-2016, 04:27 PM

if it's not 1v1 fully raid buffed within 5 feet of a zoneline, and so much as a snow bunny gets involved, there will be a petition.

Redi
01-14-2016, 04:28 PM
i thought pvp petitions ended when brobb got griefed off the box

Thomas Paine
01-14-2016, 04:44 PM
<Gay Blades> still recruiting?

Tameth
01-14-2016, 05:20 PM
wish Friends (or anyone really) didn't have the ability to plug.

compulsion
01-16-2016, 11:29 AM

Hundreds of games out there like this.

Are you also looking for something where you can significantly out-gear your opponents just through participation and then fight them 2-3 v 1?

Widan
01-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Revert server to classic only, implement no plugging. There, server is fixed.

dis_mornin
01-16-2016, 12:41 PM
i thought pvp petitions ended when brobb got griefed off the box

compulsion
01-16-2016, 12:52 PM
Rogean dislikes/hates this community.
The only red developer we have ever had quit 2+ years ago.
PvP bugs are scheduled to be looked at right after Star Citizen and EQ: Next release.
The community itself cares more about the perceived value of the items they have farmed than impact on quality of PvP.
Melee damage, specifically discs, are way out of line.
Resist mods to spells don't work at all in PvP.

If you like this environment, then play because it will likely never change outside of population dropping some.

If you are looking for PvP, might as well take this time when it is cold and shitty outside and find a different game. This one has an infinitely better chance of devolving back into a wand/tooth click fest(recharging going back in, PvP use re-enabled) than somehow becoming a worthwhile PvP experience.

Rushmore
01-16-2016, 01:16 PM

on other past "EMU EQ Boxes" if you plugged there was a longer time for you to get back in the game.

So like they could implement if you go LD for any reason but mostly plugging that you can't get back in for like an hour. RIP if you don't have good internet! :D

Tameth
01-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Hundreds of games out there like this.

Are you also looking for something where you can significantly out-gear your opponents just through participation and then fight them 2-3 v 1?

no.

AzzarTheGod
01-17-2016, 04:43 PM
A good way to incentivize PvP is to release Luclin on red.

TheBiznessTZ
01-17-2016, 05:03 PM

YUP

easy_lee
01-18-2016, 12:57 PM

Luclin on red just makes the server even bigger and creates a shit load of work for our developers. Guys, this is basic science. Expand the game world without expanding the player base, and you decrease the likelihood that two people will run into each other.

What is so fucking hard to understand about that? Quit whining for more content like annoying little brats. This is a classic server. It's called Project Nineteen-fucking-Ninety-Nine. It needs more 1999 and less post-2000 bullshit.

miraclegrow2
01-18-2016, 02:55 PM
Rogean dislikes/hates this community.
The only red developer we have ever had quit 2+ years ago.
PvP bugs are scheduled to be looked at right after Star Citizen and EQ: Next release.
The community itself cares more about the perceived value of the items they have farmed than impact on quality of PvP.
Melee damage, specifically discs, are way out of line.
Resist mods to spells don't work at all in PvP.

If you like this environment, then play because it will likely never change outside of population dropping some.

If you are looking for PvP, might as well take this time when it is cold and shitty outside and find a different game. This one has an infinitely better chance of devolving back into a wand/tooth click fest(recharging going back in, PvP use re-enabled) than somehow becoming a worthwhile PvP experience.

this is a good post.

Sear
01-18-2016, 03:10 PM
Project earn Rogean's love and respect

incentivizing pvp starts here

red community is basically the ex-gf with a drug problem that he never wants to talk to, so gonna be an uphill battle

surron
01-18-2016, 03:12 PM
reduce velious raid target HPs and slightly reduce their dps

that way a raid force of 30 or so with almost kunark bis could break into ntov, at least that way you have incentive for smaller/newer guilds to pvp for raid targets.

i mean dont you people here hate pve (besides empire), what's the point of recreating a classic pve experience

easy_lee
01-18-2016, 03:34 PM

that way a raid force of 30 or so with almost kunark bis could break into ntov, at least that way you have incentive for smaller/newer guilds to pvp for raid targets.

i mean dont you people here hate pve (besides empire), what's the point of recreating a classic pve experience

EQ PvP is built around contesting pixels. The trouble has always been that zerging them with the biggest group is the most effective strategy. But the problem now is that's the only strategy, since there aren't enough players on this server to truly contest velious pixels.

In contrast, it only takes 5-10 people to do classic content. Contesting that is very possible with our pop. So it would be easy to revert, then implement a tweak or two (such as teams or even different loot code) to encourage PvP.

AzzarTheGod
01-18-2016, 04:53 PM
This is a classic server. It's called Project Nineteen-fucking-Ninety-Nine. It needs more 1999 and less post-2000 bullshit.

Except Kunark and Velious are post-2000 bullshit.

The 99 is over pal for some years now. Time to release Luclin on red to incentivize PvP.

easy_lee
01-18-2016, 05:19 PM
Except Kunark and Velious are post-2000 bullshit.

The 99 is over pal for some years now. Time to release Luclin on red to incentivize PvP.

Pretty sure I'm saying we should go back to classic, and that I believe kunark and velious on red were a mistake. Your argument supports mine.

Efwan
01-18-2016, 05:31 PM

Lol no. This is a replica "classic" server. If you want custom shit like this go to eqpvp.com and voice your opinion to devnoob and image. This will not happen here.

AzzarTheGod
01-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Lol no. This is a replica "classic" server. If you want custom shit like this go to eqpvp.com and voice your opinion to devnoob and image. This will not happen here.

Alright then, lets get the next 2001 Velious-era expansion pack cracking?

Just imagine the beautiful landscapes and zone designs of Luclin. Now picture Velious. Thats what I call an upgrade.

easy_lee
01-18-2016, 06:17 PM
Alright then, lets get the next 2001 Velious-era expansion pack cracking?

Just imagine the beautiful landscapes and zone designs of Luclin. Now picture Velious. Thats what I call an upgrade.

Luclin looked like shit, especially the new race models, which looked just as bad as the ones we had but lacked the charm. Go play GW2 or some shit if you want a pretty MMO.

AzzarTheGod
01-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Luclin looked like shit, especially the new race models, which looked just as bad as the ones we had but lacked the charm. Go play GW2 or some shit if you want a pretty MMO.

Can just disable race models like everyone else.

Velious zones = ???????? What the?????? Did they spend any time on this? What happened to Kunark? Everything is fucking white and shitty gray/blue (Skyshrine)

Luclin zones = Ahhh, feels like home (Kunark) Beautiful stone colors, grass textures, flower beds, and monoliths. Just like Kunark. Too much to list and nothing to prove here.

If you think Velious is a step forward, I don't know how serious you can be taken.

TheBiznessTZ
01-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Luclin will save this server. New money sink with mounts and aa's will fix red.

Uuruk
01-18-2016, 06:28 PM
I think just wiping the server would be a good start.

easy_lee
01-18-2016, 06:29 PM
Luclin will save this server. New money sink with mounts and aa's will fix red.

Periodic wipes fix the money sink, and AA's and more high-end gear just increase the gap between Raiders and casuals. That gap, along with there being no incentive to contest pixels instead of just joining the zerg, are the real reasons why PvP is worse now. And it's less common due to there being too many zones for our population.

AzzarTheGod
01-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Periodic wipes fix the money sink, and AA's and more high-end gear just increase the gap between Raiders and casuals. That gap, along with there being no incentive to contest pixels instead of just joining the zerg, are the real reasons why PvP is worse now. And it's less common due to there being too many zones for our population.

I can tell you aren't end-game. Blue doesn't give you much opportunity to raid and get to know the gear eh?

Velious raid gear and Luclin gear are identical outside of the much needed caster re-balancing with a damage boost. Go look for yourself and get educated. The gap is non-existent. PoP is where the mudflation began but it still wasn't that bad compared to Velious.

If you are pro Velious you are pro Luclin. Velious raid gap is where the extreme began, it is not classic. +100 hp per big item is Velious, Luclin actually is more mild with a lot of +25 and +45.

easy_lee
01-18-2016, 06:36 PM
I can tell you aren't end-game. Blue doesn't give you much opportunity to raid and get to know the gear eh?

Velious raid gear and Luclin gear are identical outside of the much needed caster re-balancing with a damage boost. The gap is non-existent. PoP is where the gap began.

If you are pro Velious you are pro Luclin.

I can tell you haven't even read my posts, because I'm anti-velious

Let me repeat that, just so I get it through to you this time. I'm anti-velious, and am anti-Kunark as well. Classic had the least overpowered gear and best balance among the classes. It wasn't until kunark that melee started shitting on casters and no one could land spells anymore.

AzzarTheGod
01-18-2016, 06:44 PM
It wasn't until kunark that melee started shitting on casters and no one could land spells anymore.

Yes Kunark began it, and Velious is where they really started getting shit on by 50+ damage 2-handers.

Luclin addressed caster itemization finally giving them a lot of love spell wise too. Many AAs also helped to address the imbalance, introducing manaburn and lifeburn so that casters could play a role in mass PvP again against 6k-7k HP targets at least once every 24 hours.

Rangers also became an actual class, and not just an afterthought. You dislike Luclin, you must loathe rangers.

If we're going to have Velious 2001, we at least should entertain the possibility of Luclin 2001 for balance sake.

As a Velious melee and Luclin melee are nearly identical in weapons and stats, it only makes sense to release the additional 2001 expac.

easy_lee
01-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Velious is where they really started getting shit on.

Luclin addressed caster itemization finally giving them a lot of love spell wise too.

If we're going to have Velious 2001, we at least should entertain the possibility of Luclin 2001 for balance sake.

As a Velious melee and Luclin melee are nearly identical in weapons and stats, it only makes sense to release the additional 2001 expac.

It makes more sense to just revert, considering a revision doesn't take extra work, fixes the balance issues, keeps the number of zones in line with what the current population can support, and actually suits the name "Project 1999."

Classic is as classic as fuck as classic as fuck gets.

Kergan
01-18-2016, 07:19 PM
Asking for a 4 year development project of a major xpac when we can't even get a dev to update PVP resist code once a year.

Not sure if srs or dum

Tameth
01-18-2016, 08:18 PM
#nomoreplug