PDA

View Full Version : PvP Server Too Small For Velious

easy_lee
01-13-2016, 07:09 PM
I believe the pvp server is too small to support the Velious expansion. Furthermore, I believe it was too small to adequately support Kunark. There are other reasons why I believe the original, vanilla EQ had the best PvP on p1999.

PvP Premises
1) For PvP to happen, people have to be in the same area at the same time. This isn't a kiddie game like WoW where people can just join battlegrounds. PvP in EQ is over individual mobs, camps, and zones. Every zone added, especially the huge zones of Velious, spreads players out and makes PvP less common. Our population is too small for Velious PvP.

2) For PvP to happen, players need to be close in level. During the classic timeline, where there were only 50 levels, this was much more often the case than it is now. Starting with Kunark, finding PvP at certain level ranges was difficult. Level 60 characters had nothing to do much of the time. This continues to be the case.

3) The gear barrier to entry for PvP has grown with every expansion. Kunark brought us Fungi Tunics, epics, and ridiculous weapons that made PvP without those things near impossible and brought on hoards of twinks. Velious is making this worse. Powerful gear also decreases the effectiveness of casters due to casters having no gear to increase spell damage or decrease target resistances. We saw this during Kunark, with resists making many casters useless. Many changes to the resist code were made to address this, but none were successful.

4) The larger zones make it difficult to plug, which is good, but Velious is really a PvE expansion. A significant chunk of the player base only logs in to zerg raids and then quit. The widening gear discrepancies and decreased effectiveness of casters as a result makes it even more difficult for a smaller raid to contest mobs than it was in Kunark.

In short, the current game world is too big for the server population. The ten extra levels since classic have made it difficult to find players to PvP with who are of your own level range. Stronger Velious and Kunark gear have made many casters ineffective and have made it difficult to contest zerg raids with a smaller force. People are running around getting pixels rather than engaging in PvP.

I could discuss teams, too, but it's been done to death. In short, having teams not only helps discourage zergs, but also prevents players from grouping and then stabbing each other in the back. Thus, it would help our community.

As others have said, we have always had a team server in effect; the zerg team vs everyone else. That might still happen with a teams server, with one team having a majority. But at least players would know what they were getting into, could form sub-communities based on team, and could not just switch teams on the same character. And a classic timeline would enable those smaller teams to still compete.

A classic-only teams server would be much better for PvP and server community than what we have now. This wouldn't need to affect the blue server, which has always been about progression. Thus, development efforts in Kunark and Velious wouldn't be wasted.

Tassador
01-13-2016, 07:10 PM
I didn't read a word of this but you did it. You managed to solve why a 1999 game is not working like in 99 in 2016. *CHEERS*

dontbanpls
01-13-2016, 07:15 PM
teams is just a code enforced reason to zerg. needs to be guild v guild or you'll see more of the same sorry to burst your bubble. you are right about velious being too much content for the player pool on red tho.

Bokke
01-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Teams is blue as fuck and should never happen.
Everything else I sort agree with. A classic red FFA server would be a lot of fun.

iruinedyourday
01-13-2016, 08:52 PM
should be yearly wipes with vanilla

SamwiseRed
01-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Really they do. Probably why Diablo 2 had better replayability. Ladder resets were always fun.

Laugher
01-13-2016, 08:59 PM
Did not read, except I did agree with that last line of OP: Needs only classic
Sure it'd die down sometime, but every MMO/server does eventually.

hurt
01-13-2016, 09:02 PM
It does seem that the population has shrunk recently too. Which doesn't help.

I play during offpeak (Asia) and I remember there being around 80-120 people online during my playtime. Now there are usually around 30.

I usually log in, port around for an hour, not find any pvp and log off.

Last night I spent a good 3 hours roaming around and only ran into Reptoyd, who was a good sport and had a fun 1v1 for a while.

I could only imagine how boring it must be for melee and non-port classes during offpeak.

iruinedyourday
01-13-2016, 09:30 PM
230 on right now just sayn'

easy_lee
01-13-2016, 09:34 PM
teams is just a code enforced reason to zerg. needs to be guild v guild or you'll see more of the same sorry to burst your bubble. you are right about velious being too much content for the player pool on red tho.

With server population being as low as it is, that may be a better idea as long as guild size was limited. The trouble with the current setup is that zerg is the only possible outcome. Teams are one way to ensure players pick based on their preferred race / class / what have you, but we may not have enough players to even pull off three factions properly. In the old days, one faction was always underplayed. Here, that faction may be so underplayed as to not exist.

People always move towards the path of least resistance. The P1999 administrators can steer the community in any direction they desire via the right tweaks. Limited guilds could work, as long as there was something in place to prevent guilds from collaborating with each other.

But I stand by the classic-only point. It was the most balanced time for PvP among the classes, and was when the most PvP happened due to fewer zones. Besides, it wouldn't take any new development.

dontbanpls
01-13-2016, 09:53 PM
put guilds at a limit of 100 tagged players. Thats enough to down the current era content, but not enough to get everyones alt tagged into the guild. You will still have a lot of collaboration between guilds but you'll be in a situation where you have people spending time elsewhere despite that just because they can't play their alts in their main guild. It worked out a lot better for vz/tz, even though it has flaws of it's own such as guild collaboration. You had more options, you could play your main with one guild and then go play your alt in another guild that would fight your main guild. It's kind of a moot point though since player suggestions seem to be regarded as insults.

HippoNipple
01-13-2016, 09:55 PM
If this server was a teams server everyone would remake to play in the guild that is raiding. Their alts on other teams would be used as immune allies to their mains.

As long as the number 1 guild isn't too big and needs more players, it will be the same. Best thing would to just stay in classic/Kunark and forget Velious.

iruinedyourday
01-13-2016, 10:31 PM
If this server was a teams server everyone would remake to play in the guild that is raiding. Their alts on other teams would be used as immune allies to their mains.

As long as the number 1 guild isn't too big and needs more players, it will be the same. Best thing would to just stay in classic/Kunark and forget Velious.

That's why yearly wipe would be great. It's not like we haven't had our hands on nearly every build imaginable by now.

Lasher
01-13-2016, 10:45 PM
just make all raid mobs 1 groupable

Telron
01-13-2016, 10:55 PM
6 Months Classic >> 6 Months Kunark : Wipe Merge characters to blue so they can fondle their pixels with all the other blues.

Rinse repeat.

Kergan
01-13-2016, 11:47 PM
The whole "limit guild size" issue is just dumb. People will either circumvent it with multiple tags/untagged people or it requires GM intervention (lol good luck). Plus its not classic.

iruinedyourday
01-13-2016, 11:52 PM
6 Months Classic >> 6 Months Kunark : Wipe Merge characters to blue so they can fondle their pixels with all the other blues.

Rinse repeat.

I wouldn't even care if they just deleted my characters if we had this hnnnngggghhhh

dontbanpls
01-14-2016, 12:06 AM
The whole "limit guild size" issue is just dumb. People will either circumvent it with multiple tags/untagged people or it requires GM intervention (lol good luck). Plus its not classic.

it was that way on vz/tz and people did circumvent it with multiple tags but the way it worked out was that it was more of an alliance than a true guild, even if in reality it was only one organization and the result was that more guilds existed.

Lasher
01-14-2016, 01:23 AM
My guess that after the intial release you would see even less of a server pop than now

Lasher
01-14-2016, 01:25 AM
it was that way on vz/tz and people did circumvent it with multiple tags but the way it worked out was that it was more of an alliance than a true guild, even if in reality it was only one organization and the result was that more guilds existed.

You recall any real 2 guild alliances during the guild limit? Most people just put their 2nd box toon out of the guild

dontbanpls
01-14-2016, 01:36 AM
i remember stuff like imaginary friends, teaming up with holocaust to fight heresy. Versus and uh some other guild that i cant recall teaming to fight vs heresy , maybe tzt and fish bait working together to fight heresy? but thats all i got at the moment

Kergan
01-14-2016, 02:27 AM
I just don't see the point of doing a teams server at this point, unless you're committed to decommissioning R99. You're splitting up the population of a server already on life support with the release of any new PVP ruleset server, and while the new server smell may pull in some people from blue or retirees from R99 there is clearly nowhere near the population needed to sustain two PVP ruleset servers simultaneously.

From a strategic standpoint, you'd be committing a lot of development time and effort on a small subset of the population and adding a completely new server when you're already severely undermanned from a staff perspective.

If I were Nilbog or Rogean at this point, the time and effort I'd be willing to put towards the emu would be spent doing three things: finding new staff that hopefully work out, thinking of long term plans now that the last xpac is out and the creation of a new classic timeline progression blue server. Really, the only thing that hasn't been done in terms of EQ emu is something with near perfect source code following the classic 1999-2002 patch and xpac release schedule.

The staff here needs to be willing to admit that a PVP server will never have a sustained population to allow it to be played like a truly classic PVP server, and adjust the game accordingly (i.e. raid targets killable by 2-3 groups instead of typically double that at minimum in Velious). There ARE ways to make a 200 population PVP server fun as hell, and this just isn't it.

That is my monthly TLDR now back to trolling.

Redi
01-14-2016, 02:30 AM
Teams is blue as fuck and should never happen.
Everything else I sort agree with. A classic red FFA server would be a lot of fun.

Yes, and classic r99was a lot of fun

Lasher
01-14-2016, 03:29 AM
i remember stuff like imaginary friends, teaming up with holocaust to fight heresy. Versus and uh some other guild that i cant recall teaming to fight vs heresy , maybe tzt and fish bait working together to fight heresy? but thats all i got at the moment

There were no guild limits at those times. Holocaust on vztz was like 6 people. No guilds allied because they were constricted by guild limit. Holocaust fought with fishbait and fishbait had like 300 toons tagged