PDA

View Full Version : run speed much slower on my laptop

molay
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Any ideas why my run speed is drastically slower on my laptop? I have tried a different account, it's not that. I am using a windows 7, intel processor, acer laptop, dx11.

Thanks for any help

Tryfaen
01-21-2010, 09:34 PM
dual core issue?

Datante
01-21-2010, 10:26 PM
This could be an over heating issue causing your cpu to underclock. Clean out your exhaust vent/fan with some clean compressed air and allow for plenty of air flow below your laptop (I had the same problem and have needed to clean out the dust about once a month to get everything back into shape).

Cubehacker
01-22-2010, 07:01 PM
This could be an over heating issue causing your cpu to underclock. Clean out your exhaust vent/fan with some clean compressed air and allow for plenty of air flow below your laptop (I had the same problem and have needed to clean out the dust about once a month to get everything back into shape).

An underclocked CPU might cause the game's framerate to lower (though doubtful considering how old EQ is), but wouldn't make you run slower. Sounds more like the dual core bug causing speed issues.

guineapig
01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I can confirm this. I was using my wife's laptop last night when we were doing FG's in SolB and it felt like I was encumbered the entire time I was running around in there.

I coulsn't quite tell if I was actually slower than everyone else (since there is so much stop and go) but it was very noticably different then when I'm on my pc.

Tanthallas
12-21-2010, 08:52 AM
No resolution here? Im having same problem.

Salty
12-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Download Process Explorer : Right click EQgame : Set Affinity : have 1 cpu checked : Launch Server.

Chanus
12-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I heard they nerfed JBoots.

Laptops tend to have shite for graphics capability. It could just be a memory issue. A little more info on the actual specs might help.

Acers also tend to be lower-end. They're decent for the price, but you're not going to get much performance out of them.

But really, just saying you have an Acer with an Intel chip is essentially no information.

Torven
12-21-2010, 10:58 AM
An underclocked CPU might cause the game's framerate to lower (though doubtful considering how old EQ is), but wouldn't make you run slower. Sounds more like the dual core bug causing speed issues.

Actually you do run slower when your frame rate is low

Chanus
12-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Actually you do run slower when your frame rate is low

I'm willing to stand corrected, but I don't think that's true.

Frame rate is purely a graphics issue. Lag is a connection issue between client and server, which would determine how far you can travel in a given amount of time (because you may think you've gone X distance, but when the client and server resynch, the server's information wins and you might have only traveled X-Δx

Frame rate issues can happen concurrently with lag, however, giving the impression that frame rate is the cause of your slower speed.

luzbel
12-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Try to put frame rate to 100, that helps to me.

Frame rate defaut its 50, change.

Ralexia
12-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm willing to stand corrected, but I don't think that's true.

Frame rate is purely a graphics issue. Lag is a connection issue between client and server, which would determine how far you can travel in a given amount of time (because you may think you've gone X distance, but when the client and server resynch, the server's information wins and you might have only traveled X-Δx

Frame rate issues can happen concurrently with lag, however, giving the impression that frame rate is the cause of your slower speed.

No, sometimes you run slower when your frame rate is slow. For example, I run much slower whenever I alt-tab out to a web browser and keep auto run on.

To OP, I've noticed on my laptop that everything runs in super slow motion if the max fps is set too low or if I have eqplaynice running.

Yak
12-21-2010, 12:15 PM
I had to do a little of tweaking to get EQ running smoothly. First if you are using a quad core system that are using the fix for it. As per the FAQ make sure you change the path of your short cut to C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 eqgame.exe patchme Make sure you leave the "Start in" in the shortcut alone.

Then I had to go to the eqclient file and under the video secion add the following:

FullscreenRefreshRate=60
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32

It changed my FullscreenRefreshRate back to 0 but after that everything ran smoothly.

Also, how old is the laptop? How much memory, cpu does it have. What OS is it running and what video card are you using?

Messianic
11-08-2014, 12:24 PM
Necroing this thread because I can't find any others on the subject. I play on a laptop which i've played on before flawlessly, but my animation is ridiculously slow and my run speed, even when sowed, is incredibly slow. My casting bars are also about 50% off (the spell finishes at about half bar). I've tried tweaking the eqclient file as indicated above, but it's not affecting it.

Again, this is a laptop where i've played fine before (with the exact same game files - I moved them to a flash drive and then moved them back after a few months).

Any help?

Messianic
03-15-2015, 09:39 AM
FWIW, I resolved this issue by playing with video modes and max FPS in the options.