PDA

View Full Version : dot damage (rooted vs moving)

cuulbreez
01-05-2016, 07:25 AM
Hi all. I just found this server, and I'm having a blast. One question though. It seems that when I cast my dots, the mob takes about 2/3 damage unless it is rooted. This makes snare kiting very inefficient. I played a druid on live , and never remember this. Is this something specific to p99?

Talanthalis

Coridan
01-05-2016, 07:32 AM
They needed snare/dot on live pretty early. Like September or October of 1999 iirc and this server is just a couple months short of Luclin patch in 2001 now.

korzek
01-05-2016, 08:11 AM
Question is now, when was it un-nerfed?

Daywolf
01-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Question is now, when was it un-nerfed?
prolly when they made it free to pay, it was too confusing for the new crop of players :o

Troxx
01-05-2016, 09:47 AM
No, dot damage was 100% on moving targets a long time before it went free to play. I suspect it was around the time of luclin (either right before or just after) but definitely by planes of power.

It would be nice if dots did full damage on p99, but I suspect it might have been a change after luclin went live.

Ele
01-05-2016, 11:06 AM
http://www.tski.co.jp/baldio/patch/19990913.html

September 13, 1999
DoT Changes:

If the monster is in melee with you, there is no change to how a DoT spell works.
If the monster is running away from you (fear, wounded, etc.), there is no change to how a DoT spell works.
If the monster is moving when the damage from the DoT is applied (happens every few seconds), it will take 66% of the damage that it would have taken.
DoT spells have all had their duration slightly increased. If the monster moves for 18 seconds during a fight, it will take as much damage from the DoT as it would before the patch. If the monster moves for less then 18 seconds during a fight, your DoT will do more damage then it would have done before the patch. If the monster moves more then 18 seconds during the fight, it will take less damage then it would have before the patch.

People were hating on low level druids killing hill giants with the swarm line being hard to resist. Druids could just dot and med-kite until the giant was dead, which was OP back in the day.

Troxx
01-05-2016, 11:19 AM
My only gripe (as a shaman dotting) is that all our dot lines (minus epic) have a DD component that can break root.

Chokan
01-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Anyone find when it was un-nerfed?

Ele
01-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Anyone find when it was un-nerfed?

Tried searching for the same and similar terms used in the nerf patch message and Baldio didn't return an un-nerfing patch message.

Daywolf
01-05-2016, 11:54 AM
DoT Changes:
- If the monster is in melee with you, there is no change to how a DoT
spell works.
- If the monster is running away from you (fear, wounded, etc.), there
is no change to how a DoT spell works.
- If the monster is moving when the damage from the DoT is applied
(happens every few seconds), it will take 66% of the damage that it
would have taken.
- DoT spells have all had their duration slightly increased. If the
monster moves for 18 seconds during a fight, it will take as much
damage from the DoT as it would before the patch. If the monster moves
for less then 18 seconds during a fight, your DoT will do more damage
then it would have done before the patch. If the monster moves more
then 18 seconds during the fight, it will take less damage then it
would have before the patch.
September 13, 1999

Maybe you're thinking of fear kiting? I went through all the patch notes up until 2006 (DoT search), and further changes from this were not there.

edit: oh you posted that as I was going through all the patch notes haha
Tried searching for the same and similar terms used in the nerf patch message and Baldio didn't return an un-nerfing patch message.
Yeah I was doing the same thing on allakhazam, using my browser search page to page. Also checked druids grove discussion archives, nothin... *shrugs*

Disclaimer: I played a Cleric and Ranger on live to cap, not one of the more focused DoT classes. But I did on occasion DoT with my ranger (root/rot + bow). I don't recall it changing through 2005 which is around the time I left and came to the new emu thingy.

Ele
01-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Perhaps you may have continued to use non-fear DoT kiting even though it was nerfed mid-1999 to do 2/3 damage while the target was chasing you?

We didn't actually have messages to examine and compare the exact amount of damage tick to tick on a target until mid-2003.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65504

coldslaw
01-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Hi all. I just found this server, and I'm having a blast. One question though. It seems that when I cast my dots, the mob takes about 2/3 damage unless it is rooted. This makes snare kiting very inefficient. I played a druid on live , and never remember this. Is this something specific to p99?

Talanthalis

Making it inefficient was the point, because we were kings and there were many jealous people that would watch us killing red mobs with the greatest of ease.

After the nerf, we generally moved to snare/dd kiting. I didn't play much past luclin, but I don't remember this ever being reverted.

Troxx
01-05-2016, 02:57 PM
It was definitely reversed.

Snare/dot kiting was the mainstay of necro leveling from sometime around luclin until present day eq. Dots ticking on a rooted mob were no different than a feared mob or a chasing you and snared mob.

Yes it was reversed, I just can't remember when it was :(

kujien1
01-05-2016, 03:57 PM
If somebody wants to run around for two hours with a low level dot to kill a giant, more power to them, the fact that dot dmg changes is just idiocy

nyclin
01-05-2016, 04:05 PM
If somebody wants to run around for two hours with a low level dot to kill a giant, more power to them, the fact that dot dmg changes is just idiocy

shit's classic brah

indiscriminate_hater
01-05-2016, 04:07 PM
should change it back. aoe kiting takes too long

Tasslehofp99
01-05-2016, 04:17 PM

WoW is that way ---->

Daywolf
01-05-2016, 08:46 PM
WoW is that way ---->
SOE wrecked EQ so badly with expansions and also failed to deliver anything worthwhile with EQ2, that is were most went at it's release anyway..
|
|
|
|
V

_______
wow hell