PDA

View Full Version : An idea to fix track in pvp

BardPop
01-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Ok so I'm sure most everyone has noticed that track is broken here vs players if they are over a certain distance away, although it remains perfectly functional in pve. I've heard the reason for this is that, in an effort to combat map hacks, player location data is not revealed to another player unless that player is within x units of another said player. Track will still show that a player is somewhere within the radius if they are outside of this number, but will not show them where specifically the player they want to track is. As a consequence, track is completely broken in pvp because the location data is not being revealed to the tracking player, even if they have a large track radius. So how can we fix track while still not revealing location data to a tracking player?

The solution is simple, make track function at a skill of 70 in pvp instead of its current skill. In my experience, once track skill is increased to past around 100 it stops being able to effectively track players at all as long as they are over the max distance provided by 70ish skill, so there is no point in giving someone the illusion of having a higher track skill then they really do in pvp. All track is doing currently at high skill levels is telling the tracking player that the player they see on their track window is somewhere within the max track range they can track. If you attempt to actually follow track to the player it will fail 100% of the time if they are outside of the "box" (Read: Higher then around 70 skills distance) that track works at. But since track currently functions well at 70 skill, a player using track in pvp as if their skill was 70 would find it to be working as intended.

This would eliminate people tracking ghosts, and while players would lose the ability to at least see the other person was in the their track raidus somewhere by keeping the track cap as it is, they would gain the ability to actually track that person instead of being led to ghosts 100% of the time. I have never successfully tracked a person who was past the range given by something like 70-80 track skill, even when playing my druid or bard who have much higher track skill. Track is basically defunct in pvp past the skill of around 70 and there is no real reason to let players track ghosts on a server that claims to be serious about providing a pvp experience for the players.

I understand some people might want to keep track functioning at skills higher then 70 in pvp to let them at least know who else is in their area, but I would argue that being able to actually track a player (and to know when you actually can track him) is more valuable then simply knowing they are there somewhere. If track had a functional pvp cap of 70 we would once again be able to use it to track our opponents, perhaps we wouldn't find them right away but we would be able to just move around and re track until we found them. Instead our current system is so dysfunctional that that I often choose not to follow track paths when on my druid or bard, instead I just search for my target as if I was not a track class and just knew they were within a certain distance of me. It often doesn't work out and I don't find my target, and I am left wishing our track system here worked and i could just follow the path like I could when track was a smaller cap.

The raising the of the cap was kind of a curse/mixed blessing for druids and has hurt the druid classes ability to successfully track players. Obviously I want to keep the skill cap of 125 to be able to track mobs, but not a day has gone by when I haven't wished it was still a lower cap in pvp.

I know this issue has been mentioned several times on the bug forums without any real solution, so I hope that we as a community can vote on the issue and decide whether we want to prevent players outside of a certain range from even showing up on track, regardless of whether they should be from a pve perspective or not. My goal would be to have a track system where mobs still showed up at the max distance a skill of 125 etc can track but players would only show up if they were within the max distance of a skill of 70 track. This would solve the track issue as track currently only functions well at 70ish track, the general rule of thumb is if they are outside the range at which you can see them track will not work. Posting this as a poll and lets all give our feedback on it, I know basically everyone has a track class and to have a pvp system where track is just completely broken for its intended purpose is just ridiculous, really takes away from the legitimacy of the server.

ducktv
01-05-2016, 06:48 AM
wall of text. but yes. fix track please and thanks.

LostCause
01-05-2016, 06:57 AM
fix ghosting aswell everytime someone zones into a zone i see them pop on top of me.

hurt
01-05-2016, 07:15 AM
I'd sooner revert to the low range but usable track also, track is mostly useless at the moment.

Uuruk
01-05-2016, 07:17 AM
http://laslow.net/reactiongifs/Batch03/Didn't%20read.gif

Smedy
01-05-2016, 08:25 AM
voted bush towers

Wipe it Clean
01-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Fuck yes to all food recipes in game requiring jumjum

Salaryman
01-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Fix the pvp bugs lol

Nirgon
01-05-2016, 11:17 AM
voted this got bugged in live all the time too

Tameth
01-05-2016, 11:56 AM
Fuck yes to all food recipes in game requiring jumjum

fiegi 8.0
01-05-2016, 12:45 PM
track so bad

Crazycloud
01-05-2016, 01:52 PM
Unless its a PVE problem GL getting anything fixed

keking hard

heartbrand
01-05-2016, 02:01 PM
I dont think there's been a point in the servers history where the staff care LESS about red99 than they do currently

HippoNipple
01-05-2016, 04:07 PM
I dont think there's been a point in the servers history where the staff care LESS about red99 than they do currently

I blame the new Star Wars movie and the SWTOR binge raiding that surely followed the midnight opening viewing by the staff.

indiscriminate_hater
01-05-2016, 04:08 PM
this is what happens when i decide to check the red forums every 2 months

Kergan
01-05-2016, 04:17 PM
what happens?

Samsung
01-05-2016, 07:07 PM

Lmfao

Doctor Jeff
01-05-2016, 07:12 PM
please i want to track people so bad

BardPop
01-05-2016, 07:15 PM
Well it could POTENTIALLY be a pve problem. Pvp and pve are interrelated here so anything that affects pvp also affects pve, people could potentially lose mobs over track being broken. It is important for pve as well that we keep pvp working, otherwise we'd have a few op classes shutting down the server and making people not want to play. Did we opt to have that here? No, we put a nuke cap on nukes, we made melee range not so big that any rogue with an epic could get a kill on casters, and we tweaked the pvp code in every way to be fair for velious. I'd say most of the pvp code is ok right now, just implement a successful track fix and that will fix the biggest pvp issue we have.

LostCause
01-06-2016, 07:53 AM
the ghosting really fucks track aswell.

miraclegrow2
01-06-2016, 01:59 PM

holy shit this suit is amazing i want one.

also TLDR at op's post lol he must be new here

Bokke
01-07-2016, 06:11 PM
I'd sooner revert to the low range but usable track also, track is mostly useless at the moment.

Bokke
01-07-2016, 06:23 PM
ya nerf my track from 200 to 70 skill to fix this.

How about fix the zone in bug which is more than likely the cause of track being fucked for players zoning in.

Obviously fixing that bug would be best but that bug has been in for what, years now?
It's never being fixed.

Track being reverted to 70 range (even just for players) though is something they could probably do quickly and at least it would work then.

Kergan
01-07-2016, 07:05 PM
The bug is fixed on other servers. Just sayin'.

Bokke
01-07-2016, 07:15 PM
The bug is fixed on other servers. Just sayin'.

Really? This gives me hope.

Kergan
01-07-2016, 08:15 PM
The reason you get weird ghosting and track bugs has to do with anti cheat shit if I'm not mistaken. Basically, the position of other clients is only reported when you're within a certain range so things like ShowEQ won't work in PVP. I *think* this issue was addressed on the devn00b/image boxes but I guess I can't confirm that for sure.

Then again I could be talking out my asshole since I don't even know what game we're talking about.

Feanol
01-07-2016, 10:24 PM
It's cute when Bards and Druids make words about Tracking. They can't even sort.

I've got ways of using my track-list to find folks, but it would shame my kin to divulge.

BardPop
01-17-2016, 12:37 AM
Well looks like the community has spoken, the vast majority of players want a track cap that is effectively lower in pvp. If haynar questions this I challenge him to log on p99 and try to track other players. I spent over 5min today trying to find a player who was on track near the wc druid ring and never found him, the track path would always lead me to the dervish camp and when I got there where he tracked to, low and behold he wasn't even on track. Eventually he left, and I never found him in the short time I had to find him.

SamwiseRed
01-17-2016, 02:16 AM
bush + towers