PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Internet

NachtMystium
12-30-2015, 10:27 PM
So I travel for a living, and this hotel internet speed is 1.5 mbps. That should be totally fine but can anyone tell me why it shows 1.5mbps download speed on speedtest but i'm getting ~800ms ping?

I'm pretty sure 1.5mbps is perfectly fine and should maintain a way lower ping than that... is there any other factors I can troubleshoot to try and resolve this issue?

The title says it all though, I might just be screwed.

myriverse
01-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Internet speed has nothing to do with ping. You're in a hotel. Bandwidth is limited. Your proximity to the router sucks. Lotta other possible issues.

Safon
01-02-2016, 04:55 PM
So I travel for a living, and this hotel internet speed is 1.5 mbps. That should be totally fine but can anyone tell me why it shows 1.5mbps download speed on speedtest but i'm getting ~800ms ping?

I'm pretty sure 1.5mbps is perfectly fine and should maintain a way lower ping than that... is there any other factors I can troubleshoot to try and resolve this issue?

The title says it all though, I might just be screwed.

What do you do for a living out of curiosity? Always wondered what a life on the road was like

nivikk
01-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Living out of a suitcase sucks. Anyway not anything you can do about bad hotel internet, peak times are worse than during mid day. Alternative is to phone tether

Ruinous
01-03-2016, 04:25 AM
The hotel may have satellite internet too, in which case you are screwed. You could always tether your phone to your PC for internet if they offer 4G in the area, or better yet 4G LTE.

Write it off as a business expense if you can ;)

Ruinous
01-03-2016, 04:28 AM
Oh another thing to try... I assume you are connecting via wireless? Check the room for an Ethernet outlet, some hotels have them. It's worth trying to hard wire in. The front desk will sometimes have a network cable for you to use too if needed.