PDA

View Full Version : The elusive trade skill skill-up...

Axlrose
12-26-2015, 06:20 AM
I must be running into a streak of bad luck getting any skill-ups in any trade skills.

Seven characters with various stats in dexterity, intelligence, and wisdom performing baking, blacksmithing, brewing, fletching, and tailoring in numerous amounts (over fifty various combinations) and not seeing "You have improved your [skill] (x)!" once. Yes, I am attempting combinations just beyond my current skills and nothing drastic (like Velious pelts with tailoring skills in the 20s).

Long ago, one of the rumors that was never proven right or wrong was the developers could twink the numbers towards success and increases. Perhaps with people training due to the Velious trade skill quests, the numbers were altered to be harder.

Or again, I am on a very bad streak.

Anybody else noticing bad luck issues lately, especially around the holiday season here?

Thulack
12-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Youre on a bad streak.

Cecily
12-27-2015, 12:47 AM
If you're using Velious pelts at 20ish you're giving yourself a 5% success rate. Afaik, successes contribute MUCH more to skill up rates. Whereas failures will skill you up much more slowly, the rate of which being affected by how high you have that skill's controling stat (ex: black smithing = highest of STR/WIS/INT).

I think what has happened is you're massively handicapping your rate by going after dramatically higher trivials than you can handle. Spider silk... get like 100-200 silk swatches and do raw / cured silk masks and you should fly to 80ish because of constant successes.

EDIT: OPPS. Misread. WELL ENJOY REGARDLESS.

Cecily
12-27-2015, 12:57 AM
Imo, do 300-400 of a non-trivial easily affordable combine on one character. If you get nothing at all... Bug report it and ask them nicely to check the code for whatever skill you were doing. More likely than not, just a bad streak you need to brute force through. 50+ combines per point get really common later on towards 200. Getting sealed poison vials trivial for my rogue was pure hell with 140ish wisdom.