PDA

View Full Version : Custom Content is a Bad Idea

JurisDictum
12-24-2015, 07:45 AM
I like this server a lot. Despite how over-the-top competitive the raid scene is, I enjoy killing dragons and playing the closest thing to classic EQ on the internet. Because a lot of the overlooks and problems on this server existed in classic, I and others accept the foibles of the game.

My fondness for the server notwithstanding, the minute custom content is added to the game (presumably in place of re99 or Luclin), this game ceases to be classic EQ. It isn't even EQ really, but a custom MMO using the EQ engine.

The goal of the server can no longer be taking the game back to classic, because that goal has been abandoned. Instead the server would be focused on creating content people enjoy.

Do you enjoy having to manually stand up before casting? Do you enjoy huge sockfests and FTE races? Do you like the fact that players will have BiS items that are no longer attainable because the sleeper is awoken? Isn't it great how every mob can be pulled to the zone line while everyone but a handful of people sit around and wait? Do you like the fact that some classes are simply not as useful as others? Isn't it great that there is no shared bank or bazaar?

When the p99 devs removed spell lists, Luclin graphics, spells later introduced to balance overlooks by the original devs etc., it was acceptable to the player base because it brought the server closer to classic. It is also acceptable to have overpowered items in the game that are later taken out -- because it simulates classic. MQs? Classic. Chardok? Classic. If not classic in appearance than classic in mechanics.

All this rationale evaporates the second unclassic zones full of unclassic gear is introduced. I can see rounding out Velious with stuff the SoE devs never got around to but intended (i.e. Greenmist and other Kunark quest items). But wholly new content to replace the existing end game? I think it would be the beginning of the end.

I especially don't see the need to dabble in custom content purely to appease the ~15 guys in Rampage that have BiS on their mains. It just doesn't make any sense to me when their is 2 expansions worth of EQ content that would give plenty for hardcore raiders to chew on -- and free up content for more casual guilds.

In a nutshell: I don't think custom content is a good idea -- because it isn't classic. Therefore, it invalidates the logic behind many of the decisions made in developing this server.

Swish
12-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Duck/cancel has been around for 5-6 years and nobody complained that it wasn't classic. It was fixed easily on red (rightly) but never here. Why? I wonder.

You're not playing on a truly classic EQ server yet...no classic UI, no meditate button, among other things.

Maybe bring back the compass, Luclin graphics, target rings, target /con color, oversized wolves, levitating wrong era skeletons.... things that were here long ago ;)

Ravager
12-24-2015, 08:18 AM
Custom content isn't a bad idea, but put it on a different server with /movechar. It'll lighten up the top end here and still give those who want it something to do.

Swish
12-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Custom content isn't a bad idea, but put it on a different server with /movechar. It'll lighten up the top end here and still give those who want it something to do.

Not really, it'll give lesser guilds (yours etc) the illusion that they'll have access to more pixels though :o

If you want custom content there's plenty to choose from on the server select screen.

Monty405
12-24-2015, 09:34 AM
If i want custom content i'd be on Shards of Delaya or the Hidden Forest or some other EMU. I am here because I want to relive my virgin teenage years.

Ravager
12-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Not really, it'll give lesser guilds (yours etc) the illusion that they'll have access to more pixels though :o

If you want custom content there's plenty to choose from on the server select screen.

Twice as many places to raid means an illusion of more pixels? You're bad at math.

Monty405
12-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Think he may refer to people being able to alt-tab between servers while one dosnt have much going on it at the moment.

wormed
12-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Rogean said that when (if) custom content happens, it'll be on a different server. Blue was to be a "museum" for classic EQ. So, OP, don't get your panties in a bunch. You can play Velious for all eternity if you want.

blondeattk
12-24-2015, 12:38 PM
dont agree with op. There is NO such thing as perfect classic(which was a flawed beast anyway). Am sure rogean and the other moneys running p99 can at least come up with content in the spirit of classic EQ.

Hope you have many many sleepless nights over it.

indiscriminate_hater
12-24-2015, 01:21 PM
compass, etc.

duco
12-24-2015, 01:48 PM
From the way Sirken was talking about custom content on his last stream, it sounded like custom content will be added to blue and not a new different server.

Would love to get some clarity on this. It was also mentioned that custom content will only be for the high end raiders.

Rickson
12-24-2015, 02:28 PM
Maybe the custom content will be instanced raiding zones with higher end equipment than current velious raids. It would open up the other raid targets to newer guilds. Either way, it's a long ways out from what I've heard, so don't worry about it. :D

nilbog
12-24-2015, 02:31 PM
From the way Sirken was talking about custom content on his last stream, it sounded like custom content will be added to blue and not a new different server.

Would love to get some clarity on this. It was also mentioned that custom content will only be for the high end raiders.

No on both of those.

khanable
12-24-2015, 02:32 PM
praise nilbog

ridiculousmoose
12-24-2015, 03:14 PM
No on both of those.

<3 you

triad
12-24-2015, 03:27 PM
I still hold strong if custom content happened we should skip the moon and port into potranq or something along those lines and scale PoP gear to velious ... we would just be add more planes

ManuelThePopStar
12-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Rogean said that when (if) custom content happens, it'll be on a different server. Blue was to be a "museum" for classic EQ. So, OP, don't get your panties in a bunch. You can play Velious for all eternity if you want.

I suggest you go listen to Sirkens twitch from this past Sunday. Custom content is ALREADY in development and is gonna be coming soon.

Additionally, its gonna be designed specifically for a couple of guilds. In his words, for "people who are nearing full BIS Velious gear" because these endgame players "should always have some new content to do."

ManuelThePopStar
12-24-2015, 04:17 PM
No on both of those.

Care to elaborate? That's literally exactly what Sirken stated on his stream.

He stated that the custom content will be "for players nearing BIS Velious gear" because "for everyone else the server already has content they've not beaten"

nilbog
12-24-2015, 04:24 PM
I suggest you go listen to Sirkens twitch from this past Sunday. Custom content is ALREADY in development and is gonna be coming soon.

Additionally, its gonna be designed specifically for a couple of guilds. In his words, for "people who are nearing full BIS Velious gear" because these endgame players "should always have some new content to do."

Care to elaborate? That's literally exactly what Sirken stated on his stream.

He stated that the custom content will be "for players nearing BIS Velious gear" because "for everyone else the server already has content they've not beaten"

Considering I'm in charge of content development.. no it's not. Developers and GMs do not communicate often on these topics, so I'm not sure what all was said. Will confer with him, see what's going on, and go from there.

Until you have an announcement or details from myself or Rogean, just consider it rumors and speculation.

Custom zone creation, implementation and testing will take a while. We are currently working on finishing the later parts of Velious.

jcr4990
12-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Considering I'm in charge of content development.. no it's not. Developers and GMs do not communicate often on these topics, so I'm not sure what all was said. Will confer with him, see what's going on, and go from there.

Until you have an announcement or details from myself or Rogean, just consider it rumors and speculation.

Custom zone creation, implementation and testing will take a while. We are currently working on finishing the later parts of Velious.

I'd like to submit a petition requesting a guise be immediately deposited into my inventory as compensation for Sirken's lies.

Thank you.

manguard
12-24-2015, 05:12 PM
I'd be interested in what custom content would come from the minds of the same folks who had the idea for Project 1999 in the first place. I'd like to see some things expanded upon myself, like more advantages/disadvantages and references to EQ deities, and other role-playing type things. Perhaps enabling use of something like the stamina bar in only the custom content zones and when it wears out you begin to take damage unless you get near a campfire to stay warm, or something along those lines? The possibilities to extend classic are definitely there, and it doesn't JUST have to be more pixels or XP grind spots for neckbeards. If it results in pixels then personally I don't see a problem with it, but some of us truly enjoy the lore and fantasy and only care to see more done with it OTHER than cats on the moon and all the other retarded bullshit following Velious.

If I wanted custom content to get pixels and XP I'd go back to the PEQ emulator where there's plenty and it's a different game entirely. Where, by the way, I've spent a considerable amount of time with friends, and enjoyed it immensely. However it's not as immersive in the Norrath lore at all, and why I quit playing there to come here. P99 is as close to the original fantasy as I can remember, and I would love to see it expanded upon by the same minds that appreciate it enough to develop, run and maintain P99 for an entire community.

myriverse
12-26-2015, 08:36 AM
Custom content is a slippery slope. I hope the Devs remain wise enough not to create things that can damage the integrity of the server. If anyone could possibly do it, it would be them. They've had my faith so far. However, I fear that damaging things would not be discovered until it's too late.

Coridan
12-26-2015, 09:32 AM
I want custom content in the vein of classic EQ. The other custom servers are way beyond that with port hubs and binders etc. I just want to fill in the gaps on the Norrath map and recycle some of the better Luclin/PoP zones without all the "quality of life" improvements they added like dyes and PoK.

Also, it should vary up the level ranges. A new 40-50 dungeon on Faydwer, a 25-40 dungeon on Odus. A couple new outdoor zones like Rujarkian (Scarlet Desert) and Lake Nerius (Twilight sea)