PDA

View Full Version : Hasten Stole my Stuff

astrocreeper
12-17-2015, 05:36 PM
So I just spent all night camping the AC, got a shadowed rapier, 3250 gold, found hasten, gave him the rapier, the gold, and the ring all at once, and he didn't say anything, give me anything, or return any of my items. What's the turnaround time on a petition for something like this and what do you suppose I did wrong?

-Noxxis

Madbad
12-17-2015, 06:22 PM
Were you invisible? Sneaking? Hiding?

Dillian
12-17-2015, 06:28 PM
hasten stealing items is classic. Isnt that what people want?

polishanarchy
12-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Probably means he already had one of the quest items in his inventory. You didn't really do anything wrong, but the only "safe" way to turn in to frequent MQ merbs is to spawn them yourself.

Morlaeth
12-17-2015, 06:44 PM
What a jerk. Yeah, he probably had something in his inventory from a botched turn in or a griefer.

Morphyus
12-17-2015, 06:53 PM
He turned in all three items himself so shouldent really matter if Hasten had anything in inv, should it?

Erati
12-17-2015, 06:53 PM
even if he had something from previois turn in- OP turning in all three items should get his item + put on Hasten extra what was on him previously

id wager he was hidden

Ele
12-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Did you happen to have fine steel/bronze rapier in inventory that got mixed up with the shadowed rapier?

guinness
12-17-2015, 06:57 PM
It's always a good idea to make sure the quest mob responds to hails and gives you the text quest before turning in items.

I've personally had Hasten bug out on me and he would not respond to hails. Maybe his location got desynced or something, because I was able to root him, camp off the agro, then when I logged back on he responded normally and I was able to successfully do the turn in.

Ravager
12-17-2015, 06:58 PM
That's a shame OP, I know that frustration. Keep your chin up though. You don't want to hear this, but it'd be faster for you to recamp the ring and try again than getting a GM to reimburse it for you. Reimbursements take a very long time, but if you recamp it and manage to get your turn-ins reimbursed sometime, you can always sell the MQ or MQ it to an alt, so you're not really out anything.

Daldaen
12-17-2015, 07:13 PM
Probably means he already had one of the quest items in his inventory. You didn't really do anything wrong, but the only "safe" way to turn in to frequent MQ merbs is to spawn them yourself.

This is false for multiple reasons.

1. On P99, NPC's quest item memory is retained through de spawning and respawning. Meaning a quest NPC who is given 3/4 pieces of an MQable quest, and then who is killed, upon respawning will still have those items in their memory bank. Allowing a single item turned in to result in the quest completion.

This isn't classic but it's the way they had to code MQs on P99.

2. As others stated, if Hasten was sitting on any number of the quest rewards in his memory bank, he would still complete the quest if you were to provide him all the necessary components to complete the quest. Basically if he had the Ring and Money in his memory bank, and you handed in the Ring, Money and Rapier... He would receive the rapier, complete your quest and then hold onto the Ring and Money for another MQer.

3. The only safe way to turn into an MQ frequent mob is by including all the parts by yourself. I'm guessing the issue here is what others suggested. You turned in 1 of the wrong items. Maybe you mixed up Rapier maybe you didn't include the right amount of gold, maybe you mixed up the Ring and a belt.

polishanarchy
12-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Man I thought they fixed that. Well that's bad...

Fame
12-17-2015, 08:50 PM
What a jerk. Yeah, he probably had something in his inventory from a botched turn in or a griefer.

does this mean I could give him any item at random and this would happen again?

I would never do that, but you know, for science.

fastboy21
12-17-2015, 09:07 PM
the real risk with MQ is if the person selling the MQ accidentally finishes the quest with his hand in (due to mob having some quest bit in his inventory already).

typically, if this happens, it is by common practice on p99 that the seller reimburses the buyer.

MQing has always been very risky during live era. it is surprisingly stable here. i've never sold or bought one of these botched MQ attempts on p99 and i've probably done a couple hundred over the last few years...only heard other people's stories. Many of which were probably caused by their own human error (handing in wrong item, being hidden, etc.).

Uuruk
12-17-2015, 10:07 PM
I turn in quest pieces all the time to npcs commonly used for MQing. Lots of fun to be had.

Swish
12-17-2015, 10:40 PM
If someone gives Hasten 1gp, will that screw things up? Terrible that you might have been trolled in some way like that. Petition for sure.

Madbad
12-17-2015, 10:42 PM
If someone gives Hasten 1gp, will that screw things up? Terrible that you might have been trolled in some way like that. Petition for sure.

If i understand correctly the 1 gp will just stay in his inventory

fastboy21
12-17-2015, 11:05 PM
When someone sells the MQ they turn in the AC ring...then the person buying the MQ turns in the rest (rapier and gold). The person completing the quest (the buyer) gets the boots.

If someone wanted to be a dick they could turn in the rapier and gold (not 1 gp but the entire load) and then walk away. When the next guy comes along to sell an MQ he will turn in his ring and receive the jboots---rather than the person buying the MQ.

Does it surprise you that folks would do this on purpose? To be honest, it actually does surprise me. I've never seen it actually happen to anyone or experienced it myself in many many Jboots MQs. Most of the stories you hear about this are people being dumb and fugging the turn ins up somehow...and they blame some mystery person for ruining their MQ. I'm not saying its never happened...but its hella rare.

IMO however, IF someone does this shit they should be disciplined for it...its griefing imo. It would waste loads of time for GMs sorting it out and just looking into it.

Nuggie
12-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Petition it bro. On the forums. You will get them in about 6 months if you do NOT bump your post.

Coridan
12-17-2015, 11:14 PM
Or just be an Enchanter, cast Minor Illusion with the rapier and gold in the trade window and ready to hit trade when an MQer arrives :)

astrocreeper
12-17-2015, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the info. A guide responded to my petition quickly and they are working on it.

I don't know what happened, maybe I made a stupid mistake I don't know about, but I was pretty darn careful to make sure I had everything exactly right for the turn in because I didn't want to have to get another AC ring. He was up when I got into Rathe. I was hailing him over and over to get him to stop moving, and he responded to my hail. I wasn't invis at the time. I put the ring, the shadowed rapier, and the gold (3250) in the trade window with him and clicked it. Then nothing happened and he went running off on his merry way.

Madbad
12-17-2015, 11:38 PM
what class are you?

astrocreeper
12-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Iksar Necro. Can't hide or sneak. Maybe I accidentally hit a hotkey and feigned death or hit my CoS right before completing the turn in but after hailing and without realizing it.