PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for future content

Montreal
12-14-2015, 06:17 PM
P1999 is approaching the end of it’s progression timeline. Here is my proposal for the future new content.

WARNING : This proposal is not for the High-End game. The main objective is to improve the Old World.

This is an analysis of the state of Norrath after the Chardok Revamp that will occur eventually.

VELIOUS
Velious is well designed for the High-End game. Nothing to change here. Problems encountered are due to the players, not the content. NEXT.

KUNARK
Kunark is a very balanced continent that feels very complete. Lack of transportation options make it the ``Lost World`` it’s supposed to be, so I would personally not change it much except maybe making the Evacs to SF and EJ regular ports.
The zone designs feels very polished and well made. In general, dungeons have a purpose and vary in level, risk and reward. Kunark lacks a trading hub, but this is not a big deal and player services are available in Overthere, Firiona vie and KC.

Proposal : Release a custom Veksar. There is a zoneline there, it makes sense to have a zone where it was obviously intended.

FAYDWER
Faydwer is by far the best designed continent in the old world. It’s got 4 starting cities, excellent newbie zones, and great dungeons up to level 40. Transportation is easy, people actually use the boats, and the player population is varied and balanced. The only improvement I can think of is the addition of a new 40+ dungeon, as kedge is very unpopular, yet I feel it should remain the way it is.

Proposal : Release a custom 40+ dungeon in Steamfont Mountains, accessible through the minotaur caves or the giant dragon skeleton.

ODUS
There would need too many improvements to Odus to make it right, even with the release of the Warrens and Stonebrunt mountains. Odus could be fixed, but the classic feel would be lost.

Proposal : Improve the Qeynos area. This is the best way to improve life on Odus without changing too much content.

EAST ANTONICA
By far the most popular area in the game. The Tunnel is the trading hub for all of Norrath, because of it’s proximity to Freeport, Neriak,, the druid rings in WC, the Wiz Spires in Neriak/Nro and the docks to Faydwer/Kunark/Velious. The dungeons in this area are popular and varied, with balanced content aimed for players up to level 60. Lavastorm and it’s trio of dungeons is fantastic. Eastern Antonica is full of life and I can only think of one major improvement that could be made.

Proposal : Revamp Befallen. Make a new custom zone, lower the difficulty and the ZEM. This area deserves a good newbie zone, and this is it.

WESTERN ANTONICA
The black sheep of classic EQ. The population is very low, especially near the Qeynos area. This area needs major, MAJOR improvements.
The Good :
1. Blackburrow is a fantastic newbie dungeon. Nothing needs to be improved here.
2. South Karana is a good zone with a solid population.
3. Qeynos Hill and Everfrost are very decent newbie zones.

The Bad :
1. Transportation is atrocious. The closest port is North Karana. Walking from NK to Qeynos is already a pain, while the ride from Halas to NK is ridiculous.
2. West Karana is quite possibly the worse outdoor zone in the game.
3. Other than Blackburrow, the dungeons in this area are Qeynos Catacombs, Permafrost and Splitpaw. Ouch…

Proposal :
- Druid port to Surefal Glade.
- Wizard port and spires in the South-West part of Everfrost, near the Blackburrow zone.
- Revamp Splitpaw.
- Revamp Qeynos Catacombs, make it the dungeon level 5-15 erudites want to fight in.
- Add at least one new custom 35+ dungeon in Everfrost. This area should be the Lavastorm of the west.

You find that my proposal is not ``classic``? You are right!!

But…Starting a newbie in Qeynos and being alone everywhere you go for 10 levels doesn’t feel classic to me. Qeynos on live wasn’t a ghost town. This is Project 1999 and I think the state of the server shows that it’s more important to ``feel classic`` than to be 100% Classic ( which is not the case anyway )

Discuss !

Fame
12-14-2015, 06:18 PM
nah

Swish
12-14-2015, 06:19 PM
definitely

http://i.imgur.com/spBZKhz.gif

milsorgen
12-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Any changes from classic should be done on red.

Daldaen
12-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Luclin and PoP please.

If no... Shawl 8, Iksar class epics (all those introduced after Greenmist), PoM in EW, Vulak ring event, and any other Velious upgrades made after timeline.

Custom zones, meh I'd prefer not. Just quality EQ content released at a later date.

Montreal
12-14-2015, 06:53 PM
Luclin and PoP please.

If no... Shawl 8, Iksar class epics (all those introduced after Greenmist), PoM in EW, Vulak ring event, and any other Velious upgrades made after timeline.

Custom zones, meh I'd prefer not. Just quality EQ content released at a later date.

Not that I disagree with this proposal, but this would not help revitalize the old world in any way.

indiscriminate_hater
12-14-2015, 07:15 PM
random dragon spawn events. nagafen gets his jimmies rustled and swoops from lavastorm to EC, blasting helpless noobs and tunnel fatcats

Fame
12-14-2015, 07:28 PM
turn on pvp and permadeath one day without saying anything, let nature decide.

Goldenblaze
12-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Possibly consider Luclin?

am0n
12-15-2015, 09:01 AM
OP, while your energy is positive, you should know that the Devs on this server have exactly one goal; to recreate EQ+Kunark+Velious as it was. They've already expressed little interest in custom content, making a passing comment that if they did custom content it'd be a new server. But, as with Green99, that hope is so old it's starting to see the grim reaper.

Monty405
12-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Just add improvements such as keyrings (no more keys clogging inventory) and whatever that was added post luclin without actually effecting gameplay.

rattrap17
12-15-2015, 09:29 AM
so I would personally not change it much except maybe making the Evacs to SF and EJ regular ports.

Won't this happen on p99 anyway since this was changed with a June 2001 patch?

Coridan
12-15-2015, 11:52 AM
I would rather see a druid port to Jaggedpine Forest so evils could make use of it without landing right in front of the druid guildmaster.

Also, recycle Scarlet Desert as Rujarkian Hills and connect it to Oasis of Marr at Orc Highway.

Coridan
12-15-2015, 11:58 AM
For a Faydwer 40+ dungeon recycle a post Velious dungeon as Mistmoore Catacombs and put Mayong in there as a raid boss.

mgellan
12-15-2015, 12:45 PM
ODUS
There would need too many improvements to Odus to make it right, even with the release of the Warrens and Stonebrunt mountains. Odus could be fixed, but the classic feel would be lost.

Proposal : Improve the Qeynos area. This is the best way to improve life on Odus without changing too much content.

The key underutilized resource on Odus is Kerra Isle - there's a few spots where you could put a zoneline in and link in a dungeon (reworked Paludal?) for 40+. Hell you can even rework it into a starting city and activate Vah'Shir since Luclin isn't going to happen. Vah'Shir as a magically enhanced Kerran is an interesting race... and it would make Odus much more highly utilized.

Regards,
Mg

kined
12-15-2015, 12:46 PM
positive changes here, but honestly there is just no point to doing it.

P1999 is a museum, not a developing game looking to be the best experience. i have to say no by default because i appreciate the prime directive of p1999, and nearly every decision is made with that goal in mind. the goal is what made p1999 what it is, and it really should just do what it set out to do and recreate 1999 as best as they can manage, as soon as you start adding ambiguity to what changes are okay then you will have an entirely different product. sure, p1999 isnt 100% classic but its rare that they make a contrary decision when its a clear classic vs not-classic feature, and when they do its usually because of it being really detrimental to the classic atmosphere.

Coridan
12-15-2015, 01:18 PM
The key underutilized resource on Odus is Kerra Isle - there's a few spots where you could put a zoneline in and link in a dungeon (reworked Paludal?) for 40+. Hell you can even rework it into a starting city and activate Vah'Shir since Luclin isn't going to happen. Vah'Shir as a magically enhanced Kerran is an interesting race... and it would make Odus much more highly utilized.

Regards,
Mg

I am friends with a former Live Dev (Yakatizma) and I asked him a while back about how feasible it would be to make PCs out of the actual Kerra models. He said it would be pretty easy, just need to do the faces and armor textures and then just replace all the Vah Shir stuff with that. It would mean the P99 distributing a new file or two though as part of the getting started/patch downloads.

I would vastly prefer that to using the Vah Shir models. Otherwise I agree with making the Kerra playable.

I would also agree it should be a new server. I would like this way better than something like discord which holds zero interest for me.

lakedoo23
12-15-2015, 01:47 PM
I noticed on Red it has a global communications? That would be awesome for auction at least, you could still have EC as the spot to do the trading but not having to sit there tunnelquesting would be awesome.

ronasch
12-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Creating a port closer to qeynos would be fine with me lotta content over there I'd like to see utilized more.

the future of gaming needs the removal of hit point bars and Text battles. I would love to see for example: warriors start out as weak scrawny teenagers and as they level they get stronger and the character develops muscular builds. Getting rid of hit points and making it more visual like as a player takes damage he limps and bleeds and it gets worse the more damage he takes.

Coridan
12-16-2015, 12:38 AM
Stonebrunt Mountains has a dock they could use for something. They could also do Barren Coast zoneline off of Stonebrunt (there's a zone tunnel) and Twilight Sea could be repurposed as the big lake on Odus.

Whirled
12-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Just add improvements such as keyrings (no more keys clogging inventory) and whatever that was added post luclin without actually effecting gameplay.

and shared banks too =P

Stonebrunt Mountains has a dock they could use for something. They could also do Barren Coast zoneline off of Stonebrunt (there's a zone tunnel) and Twilight Sea could be repurposed as the big lake on Odus.

Translocater on dock to new zone or maybe a even, a soulbinder?
/ducks

Madriu
12-16-2015, 01:03 PM
Open up Ykesha.

It's next to Stonebrunt anyway and will give more 35+ content.

uygi
12-16-2015, 02:33 PM
IMO add ring/shawl style quests/events to dragon and giant factions...

Naethyn
12-16-2015, 02:56 PM
I'm glad someone else here wants to see Veksar on p99.

mgellan
12-16-2015, 03:03 PM
I would also agree it should be a new server. I would like this way better than something like discord which holds zero interest for me.

Yeah Discord to me is a waste of time but hey, the devs and management get to do whatever they want with their sandbox! -- Mg

indiscriminate_hater
12-16-2015, 03:04 PM
two things that broke my heart as a troll SK main on live: revamping cazic thule and letting the frogs take over Grobb. the fuck was that about

Coridan
12-16-2015, 03:10 PM
two things that broke my heart as a troll SK main on live: revamping cazic thule and letting the frogs take over Grobb. the fuck was that about

Trolls were the least played race in the game and most of them went up to the FP area to hunt, they wanted to introduce Frogloks and so they just used Grobb. I would personally have rather they just added another little city area off Innothule.

Also, I expect a new server with new post Velious content won't be started until Blue gets to the Luclin patch month. At which point Blue will stay as is forevers and the new server which unlocks expansions at the proper amount of time (no 5 years of Kunark) will launch.

Endonde
12-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Proposal : Release a custom Veksar. There is a zoneline there, it makes sense to have a zone where it was obviously intended.

WESTERN ANTONICA
The black sheep of classic EQ. The population is very low, especially near the Qeynos area. This area needs major, MAJOR improvements.
The Good :
1. Blackburrow is a fantastic newbie dungeon. Nothing needs to be improved here.
2. South Karana is a good zone with a solid population.
3. Qeynos Hill and Everfrost are very decent newbie zones.

The Bad :
1. Transportation is atrocious. The closest port is North Karana. Walking from NK to Qeynos is already a pain, while the ride from Halas to NK is ridiculous.
2. West Karana is quite possibly the worse outdoor zone in the game.
3. Other than Blackburrow, the dungeons in this area are Qeynos Catacombs, Permafrost and Splitpaw. Ouch…

Proposal :
- Druid port to Surefal Glade.
- Wizard port and spires in the South-West part of Everfrost, near the Blackburrow zone.
- Revamp Splitpaw.
- Revamp Qeynos Catacombs, make it the dungeon level 5-15 erudites want to fight in.
- Add at least one new custom 35+ dungeon in Everfrost. This area should be the Lavastorm of the west.

But…Starting a newbie in Qeynos and being alone everywhere you go for 10 levels doesn’t feel classic to me. Qeynos on live wasn’t a ghost town. This is Project 1999 and I think the state of the server shows that it’s more important to ``feel classic`` than to be 100% Classic ( which is not the case anyway )

Yes to Veksar, Please god no to any revamps involving the Qeynos area.

Qeynos is by far my favorite starting area in Everquest, I level all of my characters from 1-35 in the Qeynos area, and yes getting around can be a chore but I really like the fact that it makes the world seem large. Classic Everquest is pretty much perfect, it is without a doubt the best part of this game, and I would be really sad to see any changes to it.

I feel like if the Dev's want to do custom content they should do something similar to The Hidden Forest, adding popular zones from other expansions and creating custom content with them.

Here is their Trailer to help give you an idea of what I'm talking about, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVL-eQonUSA

I know a lot of people who didn't play past Velious will hate the idea of adding any of the zones that were from later expansions, but honestly some of the places like Dreadspire Keep from later expansions were incredible.

Izmael
12-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Dev stated clearly that there will be no custom content on blue nor red.

For a new, custom content server, I'd love to see challenging group and solo content, charm should get more love (druid charm right now is really limited to KK, Sol B bats...). Undead HARD dungeon(s) for necros.
No level increase, no AAs.