PDA

View Full Version : Original UI Skin

Ridiculous
01-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Heya, I'm currently looking into getting the Titanium edition of EQ so I can join this server but looking through the screen shots posted by people here and there I've noticed the UI skin currently being used is the updated one shared with EQ1's recent expansions excluding the old spell gems/buffs images...Is there an option to have the original 1999 UI skin?

guineapig
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow that's hardcore...

I thought about using the original skin once... then I came to my senses.

I did see something about it posted before but I can't seem to recall what the outcome was. Anyone else?

Ridiculous
01-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Hehe well in my opinion, if I'm coming to a server that is "re-activating" original content, I'm going to want the real deal, at its entirety, too bad the boats aren't working, is there any progression on whether or not that is getting fixed as well?

guineapig
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Although you can't actually ride the boa, they were able to simulate the time sink involved pretty well. The translocators are on a timer.

Ridiculous
01-20-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm really excited to try this out -- I've been anticipating a 100% Classic-type server for a long time now...and I was getting sick of having no ETA for the release nor beta trials from EQClassic.Org, and it's been years now...

Can you tell me, what are some significant differences from this current "Classic" server in comparison to what once was the actual 1999 original content of EQ1?

vageta31
01-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Difficult to say exactly what is different in some instances because it was so long ago that some of the information just isn't available. For instance it uses the 1st paw revamp instead of the original paw. It does however make changes on a consistent basis to return things to the original state when people notice something is wrong and petition or post it in the bugs forum.

Overall it "feels" like classic and unless you have extremely photographic and vivid memories you probably will be very happy with what you're experiencing. Charm works a bit differently, ie; too good. Bards have a few issues (no fail message), and there are a few damage shield issues, etc.. Some of these aren't specific to the server and are inherent EQEMU issues so they are hard to deal with.

Overall you would not be dissappointed and you'd be cheating yourself out of a great time if you waited for the eqclassic server which may or may not ever become a reality. And trust me you do NOT want to use the true original UI even if you could find it because it's horrible and very limiting. Use the velious UI and call it a day. I can't imagine how the original UI would look in super low res on a 22" widescreen monitor. *shudders*

Humerox
01-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Nothing significant. Minor details are off here and there, but the game is essentially 1999. Enjoy.

guineapig
01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
You can browse the bug reports for issues related to spells, factions, quests etc. They do get fixed on a regular basis and as stated before, none of it's anything that should keep you from loving it here :)

Ridiculous
01-20-2010, 04:22 PM
Hehehe, I can't wait! This is something I've recently discovered literally today while I was starting my epic 1.5 on the Mayong server of EQ1, I was aware of select classic-oriented servers such as this, I just never realized that they held a sort of popularity or stability, so I was a little weary at first.

Upon receiving this information, I'm about ready to get the Titanium edition this very moment because I don't want to wait any longer, and even my family members seem excited to replay EQ1 at its very best--In fact, it's the only way they will continue to play an MMORPG again.

Although I'd humbly beg to differ about the original UI skin, I play on a relatively old monitor and the computer I am using right now, although a good computer and at the time was state-of-the-art, is only a couple years older than EQ1 itself, so the size limitation of the original UI skin wouldn't effect me...Naturally, all my personalized UI skins have been customized to a similar format that the original UI skin had, and although some can't fathom as to why I choose that kind of layout, it's something I've been used to--But can certainly live without if having the original UI skin is just not an option.

guineapig
01-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Upon receiving this information, I'm about ready to get the Titanium edition this very moment because I don't want to wait any longer, and even my family members seem excited to replay EQ1 at its very best--In fact, it's the only way they will continue to play an MMORPG again.

About that. Make sure you get IP exemptions taken care of ahead of time if your family is going to be playing from the same location. (This server does not allow multiboxing.)

Ridiculous
01-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Aye, thank you for the heads up...I've been looking through the website thoroughly ahead of time to make sure I do everything I need to do come time to download the game.

Ridiculous
01-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Sorry to be of a burden but I'm really curious to obtain some more quick information regarding this server -- is it one designated server designed specifically for those interested in EQ Classic? Or are there servers divided up?

How hard is it to find a group at beginning levels and how populated on a good night would you find the newbie zones (ie. Greater Faydark--Orc Hill, CB, entrance to Felwithe; Misty Thicket, Surefall Glades/Qeynos Hills, Freeport)?

Is EC Tunnel relatively populated and used on a constant basis in which would again make it its auction zone?

About how many people of average are in each guild and are there any sorts of PVP guilds?

Considering the gear that used to be obsolete is now tremendously desired, about how many guilds are clearing PoF if any at all and what are the deciding occurrences that allow an expansion to be released and its time margin?

Any odds 'n' ends info you can give me for my mere curiosity would be great! I'm just a little over-excited and want to know as much as I can.

guineapig
01-20-2010, 05:15 PM
There seems to be a small influx of new people joining the forums recently which is a good sign of new characters on the server. Also, many people that I know are just starting to make their first alts which will also add to the lowbie population. It really comes down to what time of day you plan on playing and what class.

Just my opinions..

Shaun421
01-20-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm sure other people will jump on you for it so I will tell you politely, browse through the forums and a lot of those questions will be answered :)

But I'll toss you some information.

Pretty easy to find a group at the early levels, and more or less at any level. On average 250 to 300 people on a night. Might not sound like much compared to the couple thousand that were on Live but everyone pretty much hangs out in the same spots since they all have played the game and know where the "good" places are.

Auction and Out of Character channels are server wide, so EC tunnle is no longer the farmers market of Norath. Most deals go down in and around Freeport though so if you can't port around then that would be a good place to hang out if you are looking to buy/sell.

There are lots of guilds of various sizes and levels. Look at the Guild section of the forums for some info.

I will let the other people derail your topic with a bitch fit about raiding. Try not to let them get you down.

For the most part people are very friendly and willing to help, though there are still a few that really go out of their way to make you relive the "classic experience" (See: assholes). Never feel afraid to ask a question. We all came to this server to have fun.

Welcome to the server!

Ridiculous
01-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Hehe thanks, I appreciate the tips and advice. And as usual, I've played a Druid now since '99 and plan to spend a lot of my time porting people around ;-)

Trimm
01-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Sorry to be of a burden but I'm really curious to obtain some more quick information regarding this server -- is it one designated server designed specifically for those interested in EQ Classic? Or are there servers divided up?

Just our one server. There are dozens of other servers on EQEmu, but P99 is the only specifically dedicated to Classic Everquest.

How hard is it to find a group at beginning levels and how populated on a good night would you find the newbie zones (ie. Greater Faydark--Orc Hill, CB, entrance to Felwithe; Misty Thicket, Surefall Glades/Qeynos Hills, Freeport)?

Crushbone, EC Orcs, Nro Dervs & Oasis usually have at least one group in each zone at any time going. You shouldn't have too hard a time finding a decent group to xp with.

Is EC Tunnel relatively populated and used on a constant basis in which would again make it its auction zone?

Since /ooc and /auction are server-wide, the tunnel is (sadly) pretty empty.

About how many people of average are in each guild and are there any sorts of PVP guilds?

Anywhere from 5 to 50 person guilds. There is a pretty wide variety of guilds ranging from hard-core PoF raids, to casual family style guilds. No real PVP on this server, we're all pretty focused on PVE.

Considering the gear that used to be obsolete is now tremendously desired, about how many guilds are clearing PoF if any at all and what are the deciding occurrences that allow an expansion to be released and its time margin?

2 guilds can currently clear PoF, with 2-3 others guilds maybe a month to a few months away from Fear. Kunark and Velious are scheduled to be released following the original release schedule for said expansions (i.e. a year or so apart).

I'm bored at work and wishing I could play, hope that sheds a little light on the current status of this great server.

Ridiculous
01-20-2010, 05:24 PM
I appreciate that very much, Trimm! Just the information I was looking for, I'm hoping to start playing very very soon, and hoping to bring a few veteran members that linger around in EQ1 currently in search for a new yet familiar home.