PDA

View Full Version : New EQ Progression Server from Daybreak

heartbrand
11-23-2015, 08:01 PM
https://www.everquest.com/news/phinigel-true-box-progression-server-dec-9-2015

fastboy21
11-23-2015, 08:14 PM
very nice. I don't know if this will be a success or fun, but it at certainly gets me thinking about playing live eq again.

i will say that at least daybreak knows how to pull the trigger on something they want to do. old SOE management couldn't do anything without 6 months of meetings followed by another six months of alpha and beta testing.

Pokesan
11-23-2015, 08:35 PM
where's the damn PoP locked server!

Swish
11-23-2015, 09:25 PM

while being one of the best possible ideas they could come up with, it would be like admitting taking down EQ Mac was a bad idea :/

Tann
11-23-2015, 09:29 PM
started great with no boxing rule, and then.. Raid Instancing

http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/disgusted-Al-Bundy.gif

Swish
11-23-2015, 09:29 PM
As for this single box server, I'd be interested to know how hard they're going to enforce it if the players find a workaround...Daybreak don't like throwing resources into "maintenance" or CSR, and SOE were letting so much shit go before that there's not much of a good precedent if they screw up.

newagemystic
11-23-2015, 09:37 PM
the raid instances have 6.5 day cooldowns, idk if thats really so terrible. It may solve the poopsock prob

Vrez ZVyx
11-23-2015, 09:51 PM
Not a bad way for them to get more life from an old game. Daybreak seems to be somewhat aware of what players want. It would be interesting if they did something PvP oriented.
It is moderately interesting, but without the pvp I know it would lose its fun. I think my wife would really enjoy the experience though. She is getting used to the graphics and seems to enjoy the more social gaming element.

Tankdan
11-23-2015, 09:52 PM
Something tells me this won't deter boxing, either through masking programs, or neckbeards having half a dozen old PCs sitting around.

Oleris
11-23-2015, 10:20 PM

i know :(

Ivory
11-23-2015, 11:43 PM
-rabble rabble- p1999 green server plz!

https://nerdykittenpants.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/gimme-gimme-gif.gif

wormed
11-24-2015, 12:06 AM
Sounds pretty interesting to me. Although it doesn't have the classic feel like P99 does (new Commonlands, etc), I'd like to play Luclin/PoP. I might give it a go.

Sadre Spinegnawer
11-24-2015, 12:18 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/un1nn.jpg

Vrez ZVyx
11-24-2015, 12:23 AM
No boxing?! Sam Deathwalker will not be happy with this!

Pokesan
11-24-2015, 12:38 AM
no he will

someone post the pic of his 8 CRT monitors mounted with chains

ORIGINAL UBER BOXER!

Uuruk
11-24-2015, 12:39 AM
Heartbrand you playing pal?

Pipip
11-24-2015, 12:52 AM
Sounds interesting, but they lost me at the 90 day content unlocking. That's 4 expansions per year. Who can keep up with that kind of progression?

Bloodlord
11-24-2015, 01:24 AM
How about Kronos on that new TLP server...

Origin
11-24-2015, 05:04 AM
Haven't played on one of these progression servers since the first one, back in 07 or whatever it was. Been a while either way.

What's the deal with these servers? It's modern client EQ but with locked expansions? Do they have shit like the mercenaries that people used in later expansions or other shit that makes the game completely un-classic?

Someone do a rundown for me, please. Why should i play there?

jolanar
11-24-2015, 08:09 AM
New expansion every 90 days is a complete turn off. Damn shame because I was really interested too. Pretty much a server for hardcores only.

PlatLordlolz
11-24-2015, 08:17 AM
i played on lockjaw for a while. it was good but i didnt like the part where everyone had a box army. i will be returning in december to see if this server is any good.

Lorian
11-24-2015, 08:44 AM

You mean P2002? It will never go beyond PoP as it physically can't due to the oldschool EQMac client. Velious in a couple of weeks, then Luclin in another 6-7 months.

kined
11-24-2015, 09:09 AM
New expansion every 90 days is a complete turn off. Damn shame because I was really interested too. Pretty much a server for hardcores only.

idk, when i played live on progression server breifly it seemed way quicker to level, and with instanced raids i dont think you'll need much more than 90 days if you just want to revisit the old top end content. i really wanna see pop endgame that everyone talks about, so i may check it out... may just box on ragefire even, but its daunting to get back in when i have so much stuff in p1999

Broak
11-24-2015, 10:56 AM

Shouldn't be that bad. I agree that three months is fast but with instancing you can plan everything instead of fighting for spawn

EndofLine
11-24-2015, 11:06 AM
Shouldn't be that bad. I agree that three months is fast but with instancing you can plan everything instead of fighting for spawn

^ This.

Pokesan
11-24-2015, 03:16 PM
You mean P2002? It will never go beyond PoP as it physically can't due to the oldschool EQMac client. Velious in a couple of weeks, then Luclin in another 6-7 months.

no i want a good server

am0n
11-24-2015, 04:30 PM
started great with no boxing rule, and then.. Raid Instancing

I liked the no boxing and raid instancing.

Until subscription.

maestrom
11-24-2015, 04:32 PM
I liked the no boxing and raid instancing.

Until subscription.

Only need to subscribe once. Then you can neckbeard items (like BAM or Jboots) and sell them for Krono.

Also, you can buy a krono off ebay and such for 5.99 or whatever now.

am0n
11-24-2015, 05:00 PM
Only need to subscribe once. Then you can neckbeard items (like BAM or Jboots) and sell them for Krono.

Also, you can buy a krono off ebay and such for 5.99 or whatever now.

Why would I want raid instancing if I was a neckbeard? If I wanted that, P99 fits the bill.

And why would I want to pay any subscription? There are a host of good, free games out there.

So, that all gets back to "Sounded good until subscription."

Legi0n
11-24-2015, 08:02 PM
the raid instances have 6.5 day cooldowns, idk if thats really so terrible. It may solve the poopsock prob

Instances with cooldown AND live spawns to maintain some "competitiveness" would be great imo.

The fact that most of us come into this old game with an inherent knowledge, along with all kinds of information and databases at our fingertips is pretty damning of any classical purity as is. Sure it's a slippery slope, but there should be things done to improve the health of the server. As much as I hate instances myself, I think the fact that there is a cooldown simulates a lot of what the live world does yet combats the problems of poopsocked content.

B4EQWASCOOL
11-24-2015, 08:12 PM
Why would I want raid instancing if I was a neckbeard? If I wanted that, P99 fits the bill.

And why would I want to pay any subscription? There are a host of good, free games out there.

Socioeconomic status: low.

am0n
11-25-2015, 07:02 AM
Socioeconomic status: low.

Says the basement dweller. :)

psway
11-26-2015, 03:41 PM
What does a sub cost anyhow? $15? How can people complain about this. I spend at least $30 to see a movie with drinks and popcorn.

I took a family of 4 to cedar point for a day and it cost me $400.

Price per hour. Video games are ridiculous my cheap atm.

B4EQWASCOOL
11-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Says the basement dweller. :)

I doubt there is a basement within 100 miles of me.

wormed
11-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Instances with cooldown AND live spawns to maintain some "competitiveness" would be great imo.

That's what there will be, at least that's what I'm taking from the news.

Uuruk
11-26-2015, 07:58 PM

So paying 6 dollars once and using Kronos you make in game after that is too much?

Low T

jwargod
11-27-2015, 05:21 AM

The fact that most of us come into this old game with an inherent knowledge, along with all kinds of information and databases at our fingertips is pretty damning of any classical purity as is. Sure it's a slippery slope, but there should be things done to improve the health of the server. As much as I hate instances myself, I think the fact that there is a cooldown simulates a lot of what the live world does yet combats the problems of poopsocked content.

This pretty much here. There was niavety back then. Hell I would even prefer no spawn timer variation.

Bruno
11-27-2015, 05:57 AM
What does a sub cost anyhow? $15? How can people complain about this. I spend at least $30 to see a movie with drinks and popcorn.

I took a family of 4 to cedar point for a day and it cost me $400.

Price per hour. Video games are ridiculous my cheap atm.

You underestimate how many people that play this game have no real job, or any job at all. That's what happens when you've been playing in virtual reality for 17 years strong.

khanable
11-27-2015, 07:49 AM
Interesting -- did they ever fix the whole 'monks have insane fists at the start' and 'mage pets rape everything' things?

Smart move to limit boxing. If they time limited this to PoP or something they would have had a real winner.

skipdog
11-27-2015, 02:51 PM
So they say no boxing then immediately say 'oh but you can box if you have separate PCs for each account!!'. LOL! How do they expect to prevent people from just running multiple virtual machines??

what a joke. also I see people here saying 'everything will be instanced so you can plan!!' and yet the post says "The big raid targets from each expansion will be instanced." That's not every dungeon.

Are you all just incapable of spending 30 seconds to actually read the post??

Uuruk
11-27-2015, 03:05 PM
So they say no boxing then immediately say 'oh but you can box if you have separate PCs for each account!!'. LOL! How do they expect to prevent people from just running multiple virtual machines??

what a joke. also I see people here saying 'everything will be instanced so you can plan!!' and yet the post says "The big raid targets from each expansion will be instanced." That's not every dungeon.

Are you all just incapable of spending 30 seconds to actually read the post??

Shits classic. You mad dog?

maestrom
11-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Interesting -- did they ever fix the whole 'monks have insane fists at the start' and 'mage pets rape everything' things?

Smart move to limit boxing. If they time limited this to PoP or something they would have had a real winner.

No and yes.

No they did not change mage pets or monk fists or any of the power increases available to characters/non-classic but still available gear.

In response, they have gradually increased the power of mobs in the classic era zones (this change was made back in 2005-6 with the release of the original progression servers, but it was relatively minor). More recently, and more importantly they have significantly beefed up the power of original+kunark raid encounters. These encounters have been "balanced" to make them on par with what you would expect a raid to entail given the power increases available on the progression servers. They're still not impossible, but it takes more than a group to do Talendor.

Bruno
11-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Instanced raids for every boss? What a joke. Even time locked couldn't save that shit. Might as well play wow.

jwargod
11-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Instanced raids for every boss? What a joke. Even time locked couldn't save that shit. Might as well play wow.

Well the current problem is people aren't killing the bosses and such (whether here or live) for loot, at least not primarily. Alot of them are now just doing it for the sake that no one else can do it.

The main difference being that one person on live can actively threaten whole guilds with enough boxing. Whereas here, everyone hates each other's guts and say "Shits classic" to justify everything, except when it works against them. Then they cry to the GMs who actually oversee things here.

Decad
11-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Well the current problem is people aren't killing the bosses and such (whether here or live) for loot, at least not primarily. Alot of them are now just doing it for the sake that no one else can do it.

The main difference being that one person on live can actively threaten whole guilds with enough boxing. Whereas here, everyone hates each other's guts and say "Shits classic" to justify everything, except when it works against them. Then they cry to the GMs who actually oversee things here.

Or cry out claiming "not classic" when there is actually class balance in luclin and pop or rules making the server fun for everyone.

"Shits Classic" is fast becoming a lame excuse

Likewise, Asking for custom content while remaining in Velious is not playing the game known as Everquest.

Bazia
11-28-2015, 08:44 AM
didnt they just do this a few months ago and the server was trash for the same reason live prog servers are always trash?

fastboy21
11-28-2015, 09:19 AM
didnt they just do this a few months ago and the server was trash for the same reason live prog servers are always trash?

no. this server's rules/mechanics are different than previous progressions.

I don't think it is instancing so much as we think of it...i'm thinking it is going to be more like vanguard over land bosses. you have a lockout time and can't engage the mob for a period (1 week) after a kill.

Bruno
11-28-2015, 10:47 AM
no. this server's rules/mechanics are different than previous progressions.

I don't think it is instancing so much as we think of it...i'm thinking it is going to be more like vanguard over land bosses. you have a lockout time and can't engage the mob for a period (1 week) after a kill.

I'm not sure where the confusion is that you're saying "as we think of it..."

"Raid Instancing

The big raid targets from each expansion will be instanced. While bosses like Lady Vox, Lord Nagafen, and (/cough) Phinigel Autropos (hey, THAT’S where we got the name!) will still spawn out in the world, groups of players will ALSO be able to have these targets available to them via Raid Instances."

It looks pretty cut and dry to me. The instancing takes away from any "risk vs reward" and raid scene competition. It will lose its flavor really quick.

Hroth
11-28-2015, 11:21 AM

"Raid Instancing

The big raid targets from each expansion will be instanced. While bosses like Lady Vox, Lord Nagafen, and (/cough) Phinigel Autropos (hey, THAT’S where we got the name!) will still spawn out in the world, groups of players will ALSO be able to have these targets available to them via Raid Instances."

It looks pretty cut and dry to me. The instancing takes away from any "risk vs reward" and raid scene competition. It will lose its flavor really quick.

There will still be competition for the open world spawns, and the casuals will be able to see the content as well. Seems like a win-win to me, except for the people who get their satisfaction from denying others the chance to kill dragons.

Treefall
11-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Meh, I think having open world raids and some instances versions is fine. I would hope world mobs have more loot and less selling restrictions on loot while instances drop a little less and items can't be traded. I wouldn't want instances for group content. I think this sounds like a great compromise and plays how I envision of future EQ-like MMO to play.

Evia
11-28-2015, 12:27 PM
If I can convince a few friends and my wife to try this I'll probably give it a go. I reallllly like the idea of playing a Guise Ranger in Luclin-PoP era just to experience the raid content and to have AA's AM3/EQ and be a bow wielding badass. Although I know I'll quit playing around the time mercs come out and other dumb shit so it almost feels like it's a wasteful time investment when you know the end outcome but I'm living for the moment I suppose.

fastboy21
11-28-2015, 12:32 PM

"Raid Instancing

I guess, I shouldn't assume...I mean what I mean by instancing. To me, instancing refers to create whole pocket zones (like EQ did in PoTime). I don't think thats what their new mechanic is going to do. I think it creates a shared space where you can spawn and engage a mob (i.e. the mob is instanced, not the zone) which will create a lockout of 1-week to those who were involved.

That's all I was saying.

I do like this format better though because it does not destroy the shared space in the game, which is one of the things I hate most about instanced zones (like being in Gfaydark09 instead of Gfaydark02, etc.). It sounds more like things like the UDB spawning trak than (what i consider) a true instance.

The lynch pin in the system is how it prevents folks from exploiting it. They devs have said that they think it is a fairly sound system. The same with "true boxing" (You can box, but only a different machine). We'll see how good their new mechanics are.

If they work, it does seem like this will be fun. It obviously comes down to personal taste.

fastboy21
11-28-2015, 12:35 PM
If I can convince a few friends and my wife to try this I'll probably give it a go. I reallllly like the idea of playing a Guise Ranger in Luclin-PoP era just to experience the raid content and to have AA's AM3/EQ and be a bow wielding badass. Although I know I'll quit playing around the time mercs come out and other dumb shit so it almost feels like it's a wasteful time investment when you know the end outcome but I'm living for the moment I suppose.

Its all a wasted time commitment. :)

None of us are playing here (or anywhere else) because it is a good investment for our retirements. Well, maybe Platlord does.

We have fun for a few years and move on.